Chapter 36: Adrian’s arrival
98 1 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

The rabbit's gaze remained stern, unwavering. "I will not tolerate any transgressions against Fey law within my domain, witch. Stand down or face the consequences," he warned, his voice resonating with authority. The Axe in his hand seemed to pulse in anticipation.

 

 

Ms. Daisy visibly bristled at the rabbit's words, her fingers curling into fists at her sides. "You overstep your boundaries, Rabbit. This is not your concern," she spat out, her tone laced with defiance.

 

 

A tense silence settled in the room as the two powerful figures faced off, the air crackling with magic ready to burst. I stood frozen, unsure of what to do next. Lemy fluttered in the grasp of the masked figure, her wings quivering in fear.

 

 

Just as the confrontation seemed on the brink of exploding into chaos, a soft voice cut through the tension like a soothing balm. "Please, let us find a peaceful resolution to this conflict."

 

 

Adrian's sudden entrance caught everyone's attention. He stood in the doorway, his hands clasped behind his back. His smile appeared forced, and it was clear he was agitated. "I apologize for interrupting, but Lady Alex has been summoned by the summer court. I have been instructed to escort her back to her chambers, and her companions are also expected to join us." Ms. Daisy's expression turned sharp as she narrowed her eyes.

 

 

He stepped into the room and the rabbit lowered his head. His axe's pulsing stopping as he strode in.

Ms. Daisy spoke first. "This is winter's business. She shall be returned unharmed, she is just learning a lesson from her betters."

 

 

I spoke up. "The original deal still stands hag" I spat barely holding my composure. I turned to the masked familiar and began to gather power. "You speak of your betters but you do not know where you stand. I am Alex Cheshire, young and reckless, but I possess a wealth of determination and cunning. Hear me now - I may be new to this world, but I have faced countless obstacles and emerged victorious each time! I am a warrior born under the light of the moon, and I will tear you apart, you vile creature! I will not rest until you lie broken at my feet."

 

 

As my anger surged, the room began to shake and the candles flickered violently. The temperature plummeted as a chill spread through me. My magic, usually under control, lashed out in wild tendrils of power, causing the floor to groan and creak. I locked eyes with my enemy, my voice dripping with ice as I warned them of the consequences of harming my own. Every tool and ally at my disposal would be used against them, for I may be small in stature but I am winter itself. A storm ready to unleash its fury if provoked.

 

 

I bellowed the last words, my voice a thunderous roar that shook the earth beneath me. My power surged uncontrollably, causing the ground to splinter and crack in response. In a fit of rage, I instinctively lashed out at the familiar, aiming to sever its hand and head from its body. But just before my attack connected, Adrian's hand landed on my shoulder with a jolt. In that moment, my power flickered and faded away. How could he do that? I had been consumed by my own unbridled energy, yet he walked through it as if it were nothing but a gentle breeze.

 

 

Adrian's actions were like a bucket of cold water thrown on me. As I looked around the room, the rabbit's face had etched a look of fear and respect. Ms. Daisy's eyes were wide with surprise, and Lemy trembled in the figure's grasp.

 

 

"Alex, please," Adrian whispered, his voice heavy with conviction.

 

 

I took a deep breath, calming the raging storm of magic within me. I nodded in agreement, knowing Adrian was right.

 

 

I felt a pang of sorrow as I let go of the last bit of my power, watching it dissipate into the air like smoke. The familiar that had been holding onto Lemy loosened its grip just enough for her to escape and dart towards me, seeking safety.

.

 

"We are done here. Fulfill your bargain Hag or suffer the consequences. Tiger, let's go." I turned and went to leave the building.

 

 

Tiger grumbled as he walked past the hag, still recovering from being knocked aside. He had been just behind her when Lord Rabbington appeared, interrupting his attack. I couldn't help but wonder how things would have played out if Rabbington hadn't arrived at that moment. I heard the sound of Adrian and Rabbington leaving behind me before the door closed with a slight cackle. "What a cold winter it will be," I thought to myself.

 

 

Stepping outside, I let out a deep sigh of relief. But just as quickly, exhaustion washed over me like a tidal wave. Lemy's voice brought me back to reality.

 

 

"My Lady?" she asked, concern etched on his face.

 

 

What was I even doing here? Ever since I arrived, it's been one chaotic event after another. I need to take a step back and assess the situation. I've been jumping from one thing to another without stopping to think. Frustration boiled inside me as I clenched my fist in anger.

 

 

Adrian let out a heavy breath. "I can understand your frustration. You've been running around nonstop and haven't had a moment to collect yourself." He shook his head. "You're always so full of energy."

 

 

Lord Rabbinton interjected, "My lady, it's time for you to retire to your chambers. Let's put today's events behind us and start fresh tomorrow."

 

 

His words stung a little. I had purposely left him to fend for himself against Ms. Daisy's familiar earlier. If anyone had a right to be angry at me, it was him. Yet, he seemed perfectly fine with the whole situation. It was Adrian who appeared to be agitated.

 

 

"I agree. We should leave as soon as possible. Just hold on a little longer," said Adrian, his voice filled with frustration.

 

 

"My lord, you make it seem like visiting the mankin lands will be an absolute joy!" exclaimed Lord Rabbinton.

 

 

"Oh, I assure you, it will be. Anything to escape being hounded. Before coming here, I never had this much trouble," replied Adrian.

 

 

"Let's not use such derogatory language. I would prefer not to compare our hosts to dogs in any way," interjected Lord Rabbinton heatedly. "And trust me, it hasn't been easy for me either. My father will be livid when he finds out you came all this way. He might even resort to violence."

 

 

A wicked gleam entered Lord Rabbinton's eyes as he added, "But that could make things quite

interesting, actually."

 

 

"So you're picturing my downfall and yet you're complaining about me being a problem?" 

 

 

Despite my exhaustion, a laugh escaped me. Adrian only argued with people whose opinions mattered to him. It dawned on me that these two were actually friends. What in the world?

 

 

Adrian turned to face me. "You! You were supposed to stay in your room! Instead, you went off sneaking around and getting yourself into trouble! Why can't you just follow simple instructions? Why are you even here? Didn't the Hag's appearance give you a hint? She's pure evil! Actually, most of them are!" His voice kept rising.

 

 

I forced a smile even though I was completely drained. I collapsed onto the ground.

 

 

Adrian finally looked at me, took a deep breath, and then let out a sigh. "Look at you now. You're exhausted. Your reckless use of power has left you drained and with no control whatsoever. You just let it overflow without any regard."

 

 

"Yeah, yeah." I muttered as my vision blurred. "Good to see you too." I retorted sarcastically. I leaned back, closing my eyes for just a moment.

 

 

I gazed up at the sky, admiring the beautiful day with its clear blue skies and scattered clouds. The birds chirped happily in the background. Just one moment was all I needed. Suddenly, I saw Tiger picking me up as I drifted off to sleep.

 

 

6