Chapter 37: Ties That Bind, Ties That Break
144 1 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I sighed in frustration as Alex slumped into an unconscious state. Had I not tasked Hareford to keep an eye on her who knows what would've happened. I looked up to Tiger and felt my blood boil. If anyone should've kept her safe it should've been him. What had he been thinking?

Turning to Hareford. "Lord Rabbinton, we need to get her back to her rooms. The other delegations will be arriving shortly for our trip to the human….mankin lands. I want to get us out of here as soon as possible." As soon as we leave these lands the sooner we could relax. 

Tiger and I had been going under extensive training from Lord Cheshire and myself even more so from Titania herself. I had very little idea what Alex had been up to outside of the rumors but none of them had been good.

 

"Of course, Master Adrian," Hareford replied with a bow.

 

I turned to Tiger, my eyes burning with anger. "A Hag Tiger, and you let her go to a Hag's home? You know better than anyone what could have happened to her."

 

Tiger nodded in acknowledgement but remained silent.

 

Taking a deep breath, I tried to calm my anger. "Fine, let's go."

 

 

The sentinel at the gate, a towering goblin with greenish skin and a thick, curved horn protruding from his forehead, frowned as he eyed us cautiously. "State your names and business at the castle," he demanded gruffly.

 

I cleared my throat, my voice ringing out through the courtyard. "I am Adrian, King's candidate, accompanied by Lord Rabbinton and Tiger Cheshire," I announced, my tone conveying my lofty position within the Fey hierarchy. "We demand entry to the castle immediately."

 

The goblin's eyes widened, his expression shifting from suspicion to deference. "Your Lordship, please pardon our intrusion," he stammered, stepping aside to allow us entrance. "Welcome home, my lord."

 

 

As we entered the castle, the grandeur of the place always impressed me. The walls were adorned with intricate carvings and tapestries depicting stories of ancient battles and legendary feats. The stone floors glistened like liquid gold, reflecting the sunlight that streamed through stained glass windows.

 

Leading the way, I strode with purpose through the halls, my eyes narrowed as he focused on the task at hand. Hareford and Tiger trailed behind me in a subdued manner. Soon we came upon a set of grandiose doors with runes carved into the front.

 

"Master Adrian, a word if you would." said a sultry voice behind me. I turned to face Lady Solara flanked by Lord Rabbinton himself. Hareford's father.

 

"Good evening my Lady. I am afraid I have other matters that require my most urgent attention. Perhaps another time." I gave the direction to Tiger and Hareford to take Alex into the room. They did so and when I went to follow Lady Solara moved a bit closer.

 

"Master Alex, I know you're a busy man but I'm afraid I must insist. We have concerns regarding…your Lady friend here. Concerns about her continued health." she said with a sickly sweet smile. 

I paused before entering the room and eyed her out of the corners of my eyes. I felt my fist clench in anger and frustration. I did not have time for this, I hated these Fey games. "Speak plainly."

 

Lord Rabbinton stepped forward. "What my Lady is saying my lord is that based on the events of tonight we may have to rethink our agreement. Of course, we understand that mistakes happen. We just need to clear the air."

 

So it was a threat. "Tiger, I leave Alex to you. This time keep her confined to her rooms."

 

Tiger narrowed his eyes at me and growled.

 

Of course, Tiger always had a penchant for doing the opposite of what he was told. "Please" I said with clenched teeth. He turned and took Alex to the room with Hareford following right behind him.

 

As I walked with Lady Solara and Lord Rabbinton we entered into a room that looked just like a board room from my father's company. I sat down on the opposite side from Solara and leaned back in my chair.

 

Lord Rabbinton pulled out Lady Solara's chair so she could sit. Once she was seated she did not hesitate to start. "Tea? Crumpets? Biscuits? Coffee?" She asked.

 

I just stared at her. I really was not in the mood for this. She stared back completely unphased.

 

"Well then, straight to business. Adrian, the agreement is that you promise to become king and raise the Summer court, in exchange we ensure the safety of you and your friends. Let me ask you then why does Lady Alex constantly seek trouble? I feel she has grown distant and it has been confirmed she has been working with some rather unscrupulous creatures."

 

That was true. Hareford had confirmed for me that Alex had been going to the Hags before tonight. It was the only reason I knew where to go when I did not find her on the castle grounds. "Alex has always been free spirited. He…She.. does not take directions well. In fact, I dare say you putting her on house arrest is what caused tonight in the first place."

 

"No, she would have sought out that malevolent creature either way. I'm more curious as to why? What does the Hag offer that draws her so? Adrian, I know you have been hiding things from me. I have overlooked it because it has been inconsequential until this evening. If you impede Summer's ability to uphold our end of the bargain then we will stop altogether. I know I do not have to tell you that the only reason Alex is not a corpse is because of the protection we have been offering her."

 

I winced inwardly but kept my face neutral. She was correct, Alex had bumbled into some very dangerous situations at a constant pace. She was being pushed by someone, I knew that. "I have no intention of breaking our agreement. I do have a….suggestion."

 

"Go on?"

 

"There is something or someone driving Alex to behave this way. Usually she is content to stay secluded. She is not very extroverted by nature."

 

"Extroverted?" Asked Solara.

 

"She prefers to be alone and isolated." I said.

 

"Ah, I had discerned the same. I thought we were getting along so well at the start too but yes, something is driving her. Her father perhaps?"

 

That was my thoughts as well. The old Tabby was as conniving as they came. "Perhaps but Purrlyn would be much more likely. Alex is incredibly loyal individual. She doesn't make a lot of friends but when she does..Well, even I'd hesitate to get in her way." 

I smiled to myself. I could not tell you how many times Alex had come running to help. I specifically remembered a time I had broke a vase at my family home, one that my mother particularry felt attached to. When confronted by father he began to scold me very severly. It was Alex who took the blame to protect me and even as a child, he had a few things to say. At that time we had barely just become friends. He had been removed from my family home and I was kindly told not to associate with him anymore. The rest is history.

"Hmm, that loyalty would be welcome in summer. It is a shame the Cheshire's snatched her up."

 

I inclined my head in a polite nod, acknowledging Lady Solara's astute observation. "Indeed, Purrlyn has always had a way with Alex. They share a bond that runs deep, even if they have been apart for so long," I remarked thoughtfully, recalling the fierce protectiveness Purrlyn had always shown towards Alex.

 

Lady Solara leaned back in her chair, her eyes assessing me carefully. "Purrlyn has always been a wild card in the Fey court. Her affections for the Mankin have caused quite a stir, as you well know," she stated, her voice tinged with a hint of warning.

 

I knew all too well the consequences of Purrlyn's past actions and how it had set off a chain of events that led to the delicate balance between the Fey and humans being on the brink of collapse. "Purrlyn's choices may have consequences that we are only beginning to see. Alex is not to blame for her sister's actions."

 

"Indeed, If that was not the case then regardless of our agreement Alex would not be running free either. I have hesitations you know but also hope for her. Lysandra has proven to be a true friend and I hope to obtain that with Alex as well." She smiled to herself.

 

You only want that so you can hold the two most powerful families in the Winter court under your sway I thought.

 

 

"Perhaps then it would be wise to send Purrlyn with Alex to the Mankin lands. She could provide valuable insights and perhaps even garner favor there," I suggested tentatively, watching Lady Solara's expression closely for any sign of agreement.

 

Lady Solara's eyes narrowed, her lips forming a thin line. "Absolutely not. With Lord Cheshire missing, it would be unwise to send another member of the Cheshire family away. We must stay united and strong in these uncertain times," she declared firmly, her tone leaving no room for argument.

 

As I observed Lady Solara's resolute stance, a thought crossed my mind—she was reluctant to give up her only bargaining chip. Keeping Purrlyn close meant she had leverage over the Cheshire family, particularly now when they were facing turmoil with Lord Cheshire's disappearance. It was a delicate dance of power and politics within the Fey court, one that I was beginning to understand all too well.

 

After Lady Solara's adamant refusal to send Purrlyn with Alex to the Mankin lands, I knew it would be futile to press further. I gracefully inclined my head in deference to her authority, masking any trace of disappointment that may have flickered across my face.

 

"Of course, Lady Solara. Your wisdom in this matter is duly noted, and I trust your judgment," I replied smoothly, choosing my words carefully to convey respect without conceding too much ground.

 

Lady Solara's expression softened slightly at my response, the tension in the room easing ever so slightly. "You are a promising candidate for the Fey court, Adrian. Your loyalty and dedication do not go unnoticed," she remarked, her tone more approving now.

 

I offered her a grateful smile, inwardly irritated at these games. As we concluded our meeting, Lady Solara excused herself with a final nod, leaving me alone in the grand chamber.

 

After Lady Solara departed, Lord Rabbington fixed me with a steely gaze, his eyes conveying a sense of urgency. "Adrian, before you leave, there is something I must impress upon you," he began, his voice grave with concern.

 

I inclined my head in acknowledgment, ready to receive whatever warning he deemed necessary to share with me.

 

"The unity of the courts is paramount, especially in these uncertain times. The last time the courts stood apart, it resulted in the tragic death of our King," Lord Rabbington stated solemnly, his words heavy with the weight of history.

 

I nodded slowly, understanding the gravity of his message. "I am aware of the consequences that discord among the courts can bring. Unity and loyalty are values I hold dear," I assured him, my voice unwavering.

 

As I mulled over his words, thoughts of Alex crept into my mind. A pang of worry tugged at my heart, urging me to return to her side.

8