Chapter 26: Finding Balance
197 2 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The room transformed into a stark white space, furnished only with a chair and a glass table, the same as before. Sitting opposite me was another version of myself, clad entirely in white, exuding a serene silence. Behind this other self stood the Goddess, her face bright with a wide smile.

"Hello, Alex. I must say, I didn't anticipate this development so soon. You've certainly been active recently," the Goddess stated, my other self nodded affirming the Goddess's words. The Goddess then gracefully moved around us, materializing a cup in her hand and offering it to me.

With a polite smile, I accepted the drink but refrained from sipping it. My gaze shifted to the other me. "So, what is she supposed to represent?" I inquired curiously.

"Hmm, oh well, that is you," the Goddess began, her tone contemplative. "It's a part of your nature that you've been constantly pushing away." She frowned slightly, a look of concern crossing her face. "Honestly, I've never really understood how you children can be so self-destructive." Walking over, she positioned herself between the two versions of me. "Now is the time for you to connect with yourself. Alex, you cannot keep avoiding this crucial part of who you are. You need to embrace this aspect because it is your true Fey nature."

I leaned back, my feelings a mix of resistance and contemplation. "This part of me is chaotic, unpredictable, and too impulsive. If I let it take the reins, it would surely lead to disaster," I countered, crossing my legs and starting to bounce my feet in agitation. Then, I paused, noticing a difference in the size of my legs and feet, and became aware of other subtle changes in my appearance.

"I'm... I'm a man again!" I exclaimed in astonishment. The Goddess offered a knowing smile. "Only in your mind, dear. That aspect of you will continue to evolve and change as you integrate all parts of yourself."

"Why would I want to do that?" I questioned, still struggling to comprehend the need for such a transformation.

The Goddess let out a sigh, heavy with meaning. "Because, my daughter, your survival depends on it. At this juncture, Adrian's success hinges on your ability to do so."

"What do you mean?" I asked, my curiosity piqued.

"You may not fully grasp it yet, child, but the path you've embarked upon is laden with both immense dangers and potential rewards," she explained, thoughtfully tapping her lips.

"Adrian is doing just fine. In fact, I'd say he's adapting a bit too well," I remarked, leaning forward and observing the masculine form of my hands.

The Goddess's expression grew serious. "Adrian, like Tiger, has embraced his Fey nature. It's imperative that you do the same. Failure to do so could result in the loss of lives, possibly even your own. You were on the brink of death just now. If your Fey nature hadn't intervened, the outcome would have been dire. Hag dealings are perilous; they are twisted and untrustworthy beings," she warned, her smile returning but with a hint of solemnity.

"Great, isn't that what you all like to see in your children?" I said with a roll of my eyes, a hint of sarcasm in my voice.

"Of course, it's delightful to see such traits in my children, but not when they manifest in his," the Goddess replied, shuddering slightly at the thought.

'His?' Who was she referring to? My eyebrow arched in curiosity.

"Ah, never mind that for now. The important thing, Alex, is that you understand how much harder it is becoming to suppress your nature. I could ask why, but I know you're aware. It's a part of you, one that you secretly enjoy. I'd prefer you embrace it sooner rather than later, but the choice, as always, is yours," she said, her tone implying a deep understanding of my internal struggle.

I shook my head firmly. "And become like them? No, thank you. I'm trying to hold onto my sanity here."

The Goddess gazed into my eyes, her laughter ringing clear. "Alex, you consider yourself sane? My dear, that's far from the truth. You enter this realm, and what's your first action? Striking a deal with a Winter Court member – and not just any fey, but the Cheshire Cat himself! Then, in the midst of a trial, you boldly threaten members of the Summer Court." She began enumerating on her fingers, "Following through, you confront them in the garden, fulfilling your threat. And the Redcaps? You've aligned with them, despite their known limitations – limitations set for a reason." She paused briefly, her gaze intensifying. "Perhaps you should investigate the origin of their crimson caps." Resuming her count, she added, "And now, here you are, seeking knowledge from a hag! Child, your actions are a far cry from sane." She sighed with a smile. "It is wonderful." 

Realizing the extent of my actions, I couldn't help but agree with the Goddess. "True, I did all that, mostly out of necessity. And she," I gestured towards my female self, "always seemed to intervene."

The Goddess leaned in closer, her gaze piercing. "Alex, understand this: she is you. A more raw, instinctual, predatory version, but still you."

"But in many of those situations, I had no control. Other times, I was merely trying to survive the chaos," I protested, raising my voice slightly.

Both the Goddess and my female counterpart smiled gently. "Alex, what happens when someone suppresses their emotions? Anger, fear, or stress?"

"They eventually lose their..." I trailed off, a realization hitting me. "Temper."

"Exactly," the Goddess said softly, moving to stand behind me. She wrapped her arms around me in a comforting embrace. "You're not pushing anything away, you're just hiding. I know it's been a whirlwind since you arrived in this world, and you've been doing remarkably well. But eventually, everything you're holding back will catch up to you."

A sense of resignation washed over me. "I just want to be left alone," I admitted, feeling a heaviness in my heart.

"I understand, but that's not an option now. The only way to navigate this is by cultivating power, either for yourself or by aiding someone else in their journey," she advised.

I nodded, absorbing her words, a mix of understanding and resolve settling within me.

"Embrace yourself fully, Alex. Stop hiding from who you truly are. I think it's time to bring in some assistance for you. Adrian has expressed his concerns about you; perhaps it's time for him to take a more active role in all this," the Goddess suggested, her smile taking on a mischievous edge.

"He's already got enough to deal with. Just leave him out of it; I can handle things on my own," I insisted, beginning to rise from my seat.

The Goddess waved off my concern lightly. "Oh, don't worry, child. I'm sure Adrian won't mind helping out in the slightest," she said, her tone suggesting that the matter was already settled. With a clap of her hands, she added, "And now, it seems you're beginning to come back to consciousness. Good luck, Alex. Remember, if you don't accept and embrace your Fey nature, the consequences could be dire, either for you or someone close to you."

As I opened my eyes, a wave of dizziness washed over me. The room seemed to spin momentarily, but I soon regained my composure. Looking down, I noticed that I had returned to my female form. Feeling inwardly for my Fey nature, I sensed her there, calmer and more content than before.

"You miserable little runt!" the hag, Ms. Daisy, exclaimed, evidently in pain. "That hurt."

"Sorry, it was a reflex," I replied, pulling myself up, feeling a soreness in my hip where I had landed.

"Never apologize," Ms. Daisy retorted as she stood. "Only the weak and meek do that, and you, dearie, are neither." She moved towards a cupboard, pondering over several jars before selecting one. "This will do nicely. Come here, do you see this jar?"

I approached her, observing the jar emitting a lukewarm glow. "What's that?"

"Captured Moonlight, my dear." She then produced another jar, filled with a smoke that swirled into the shape of a screaming face. "This is suffering. Do you know what happens when you combine them?"

I shook my head. "No, I don't see how they're compatible."

Ms. Daisy chuckled. "Of course you don't. Moonlight induces madness, and suffering is self-explanatory. Combine them in a spell, and you can drive someone into a murderous frenzy!" She cackled with delight.

"That sounds terrible," I replied, taken aback by the notion.

"No meekness, girl. I will rid you of it if I must." She sighed then. "These ingredients can also be used differently. Moonlight can symbolize hope, an end to suffering. Together, they can lift a curse, among other things. The lesson, dearie, is that the ingredients are flexible. You are the special ingredient that makes the difference."

With that, Ms. Daisy dropped the jars. They shattered on the floor, the moonlight vanishing and the suffering emitting a loud wail before disappearing.

Ms. Daisy continued, "All Fey possess three abilities. The first is common to all Fey, drawing power from the natural world. The further a Fey is from their instinctual nature, the weaker they become. Iron, for example, is an effective conduit for this. The second," she held up another finger, "is determined by your lineage. Usually, someone like you wouldn't have access to such magic, but you're an exception. You owe Lord Cheshire a thank you." Raising a third finger, she added, "The third is unique to each Fey, setting them apart from others."

"Do you know what mine is?" I asked, curiosity piqued.

"Oh, yes." She pointed to the remnants of the moonlight jar. "I only know of one other who can do what you do. You, my dear, are a sculptor of moonlight."

11