Chapter 79: Trading Town Carioli
17 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Zethira touched down in a small grassy plain about a hundred miles inland from the western coast of Ezoriar, and Elsie followed suit a moment later.  It was high noon, the hot sunlight near the equator barreling down upon the two of them.  The air was nearly still, only adding to the oppressive glare shining down from on high, though a bit of Zethira’s runology was enough to generate a cooling breeze around the couple.

The lands in front of them were flat save for a few very gentle hills, and were dotted with the occasional tree spreading its branches high with thin leaves.  The occasional pack of strange striped beasts of black and white dotted the landscape, and the quiet of the land was broken by the loud roar of a massive catlike beast to the south.  A few miles away, up near the horizon to the east was the large inland merchant town called Carioli.  A town which Zethira had never visited during her travels, but was vaguely aware of from her trip to the Kingdom of Breault some decades past.

They’d flown low during their travels, both to avoid scaring the populace and to avoid attracting the wrong sort of attention.  It had been a week since the events on the Goddesses’ Altar, and there was no telling who had gotten their hands on Aetherial Shards since then, or how many Shards those individuals might have.  

Even a single Shard proved enough to considerably bolster Zethira’s physical magical capabilities.  And she had both the blessing she’d received from Elana and the divine energy she and the others absorbed on top of the Goddesses’ Altar.  Two or three shards would make even a common brigand into a fearsome foe able to fight among the upper echelons of Thirassa’s warriors.  

And there was no telling just how powerful Lyseria was now with all the energy she had absorbed.  Strong enough to bat Zethira aside as though she were nothing.  Truly fearsome was the power the goddesses must have wielded when they had physical bodies of their own a millennium and a half ago.  Fearsome enough that even the half-dragon warrior of sixty years broke into a cold sweat, her palms growing wet as she held Elsie’s hand a little bit tighter.

“Is something wrong, Zethi?  You look unwell.”

“Physically, no, I’m fine.  I was just lost in thought about everything that’s happened.”  Zethira paused, but recalled that earlier conversation with Elsie.  About not holding back about her fears, and about how doing so only made Elsie worry more.  And so she continued.

“About these Aetherial Shards.  About just how much stronger we’ve gotten just in these last couple of weeks.  With Elana and Raesha waking up, and what happened on the Altar.  And how, even with all of that effort, we still have to be cautious.  About how there may be enemies all around us who even we can’t fight off.  I don’t want to say this out loud, Elsie.  Mostly because I don’t want to admit it to myself.  But I’m scared.  Not for what might happen to me.  But because something might happen to you, and that I might not be strong enough to prevent it.”

Elsie squeezed Zethira’s hand.  “I can take care of myself.  And besides, Elana is with me.”

“I know.  But after… everything with Raina, I can’t help but worry, at least a little.”

Elsie floated up to Zethira’s eye level.  The two stared at each other before Elsie smiled.  Zethira started to as well, but her love sneaked in and planted a quick kiss on her lips before descending back to the ground.

“I know.  Which is why I’ll keep reassuring you and loving you all the same.”  Elsie looked around and gave Zethira’s butt a tight squeeze.

“That was for the other day, by the way,” Elsie added.

“Oh, I thought you liked that.”

“I did.  Almost as much as I’m sure you did, Zethi.  And I’m sure we both liked that too.”

“It’s a good thing we’ll be heading to a town tonight, isn't it, Elsie?”  Zethira gave a coy smile and a sly wink.

With a shared nod, the two started along a small dirt road leading toward Carioli in the distance.  The travel was uneventful for the most part, though there were more than a few beasts that tried to cause a ruckus.  One creature in particular, a large beast with a single tusked horn, made the mistake of charging at the pair as they headed toward the city.  A single use of Zethira’s Push rune was sufficient to bat it aside and allow them to continue along their path.

Notably, there weren’t any travelers going to or fro along the road, something Zethira found more than a little suspicious.  Even the handful of houses and barns along the north and south of the road were either abandoned, or their occupants were deliberately staying indoors.  From what she recalled, Carioli was one of the larger cities on the continent and a confluence of trade between Breault and the various settlements that dotted the southern portion of the continent.

“Elsie.  When we get to Carioli, be prepared for a fight.”

“Do you hear something?”

“It’s what I don’t hear that’s the problem.  No sounds of people at work.  No sound of children at play.”

“A Shard-wielder?”

“At the very least, we should prepare as though that’s the case.”

The two walked at a casual pace for the last half mile leading into the town.  As they approached, it was the sound of soldiers shouting orders to one another and huddled, scared families which greeted them, not the bustle of a lively town supposedly populated by traders and craftsmen of various professions.  Children were crying as parents tried to assuage them, while a number of sentries stationed throughout the city’s numerous checkpoints were checking through the families’ effects, as though looking for something, or perhaps someone.

“Are you two refugees as well?” an armored man asked Zethira.

“Refugees?” Elsie asked.  “Can you explain the situation?”

“You can’t be serious, can you?”

“We’re travelers, not from around here,” Zethira said.  “Though, depending on the situation, we might be able to help you solve whatever is going on.”

“We don’t need a couple of civvies weighing us down.  Just head into the city and don’t cause any trouble.”  The man stared Zethira down.  “We’ll be keeping an eye on you.”

Elsie moved toward the man with a scowl on her face, but Zethira pulled her back.

“Understood, sir.  I’ll avoid causing any trouble.”

Without another word, Zethira and Elsie passed through the checkpoint and into the main part of Carioli.  The interior of the town was more in line with previous expectations.  A number of shops were set up throughout the main streets, some little more than open-air stalls, others vast storefronts with interior cooling devices set up.  The latter seemed to be quite popular among the townsfolk, eager to get a few minutes out of the harsh sunlight during the middle of the afternoon.  Zethira herself was hardly bothered by the temperature, though Elsie did look a bit parched as they explored the town.

“Zethi?” she asked some minutes later as they browsed through a clothing store.  “Why didn’t you say anything to the guard earlier?  And why did you stop me?”

“I appreciate what you did for me back in Tarifa.  And I know you would have done the same for me again had I asked for it.  But these people are scared senseless, whether because of wraiths or some Shard-wielder acting like a buffoon or something else entirely.”

“That makes me really happy to hear, how much you’ve changed.”

“On a more self-serving note, I would like to get a bath and sleep on an actual bed tonight.  That does seem rather difficult if we go around causing trouble for the town guard.”

Elsie laughed.  “Okay, yes, I would also like to spend a night in a bed as well.”

The two looked around a couple minutes longer.  There were a number of dresses of various bright colors— the reds and yellows among them were particularly vivid.  The general style seemed to be thin, airy fabric with more than a small amount of exposed skin.  Not the sort of thing Zethira would be caught dead in— the fact that such flimsy material would disintegrate after a few minutes of rubbing against her scales didn’t help matters.  But very much the sort of thing that she would have bought for Elsie had they the money to spare.

“You’re thinking about me in that, aren’t you?” Elsie asked.

“That, and taking you out of it.  Sadly, we haven’t the money.  We still need food and shelter for the evening, for one.”  And we just might need some coin to open a few doors or loosen some lips to figure out what’s going on here.

“Okay,” Elsie said with drooping eyes and a morose expression.  “Anyway!  Where should we go next?”

Zethira looked around for the shop’s proprietor and approached the counter once she’d located her.  “Do you know of any good taverns in town?  We’re not from around here.”  She tossed a couple of copper coins onto the counter.

The shopkeep stammered for a moment.  “The Elephant’s Tusk is the biggest such establishment in the city.  It’s where most of the travelers from out of town stock up on food, and the latest gossip always finds its way there.  But–”

Zethira tossed another coin her way.  “Then the two of us will be on our way.  Thanks for the information.”

“Oh, but you shouldn’t go!” the shopkeeper said.  “There are some truly fearsome people there.  One misstep and your friend might lose an arm.  Or her head.”

“I appreciate the word of caution, Miss,” Zethira said.  “But I can promise you, she is quite capable of handling a few rowdy drunkards.  The sword at her side isn’t just for show.”

Elsie smiled and bowed slightly at the shopkeeper as the two made their exit and departed for the bar in question.  The heat of the mid afternoon was in full swing, though occasional patches of shade from a couple of clouds passing overhead and the buildings all around provided a bit of welcome relief.  A shame neither of us have any capacity for water magic.

“Zethira, if I may speak to you?”

“Elsie– I’m sorry.  Elana?  Is there a concern?”

“Now that you have absorbed one of the Shards, you should be able to start sensing them as well.  Simply let the power it granted you flow outward and guide you.  You should feel a pull toward other Shards and their wielders.”

Zethira did so, and felt a draw deep within her core.  Not anything as strong as Elana spoke of, no driving compulsion to act upon it, but a gentle nagging feeling, one which whispered promises of power and purpose alike if she were to head toward the Shard calling to her.  And she reasoned that the owner of the Shard likewise knew of their presence.  It was fitting, or perhaps fate, that both leads they had, had led to the same place.  A Shard-wielder awaited Zethira and Elsie at the Elephant’s Tusk Tavern.

1