Chapter 81: Remembrance
13 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Elissa awoke early the following morning, still a little sore from a fun and perhaps a little debaucherous night previous.  The sun streamed in through the small window, and below her were the sounds of screaming restaurant staff and the sizzle of breakfast being served down below.  Aroma of some sort of sausage dish and a pungent citrus aroma wafted in through the cracks in the doorway, though sadly, she smelled no watermelon to greet her as she arose.

Zethi was still sleeping, a sight which had become increasingly common in recent days.  Elissa wasn’t sure whether it was because Zethi was still adjusting to having more of Elana’s power within her body, because she was growing more comfortable being together with her, or because Elissa herself had been sleeping more restfully and waking up earlier ever since the Awakening.  But Elissa always enjoyed having some time to watch her love as she slept, sprawled all over the mattress and not a care in the world of how much of her skin and scales were laid bare for her to see.

“Ugh…”  Zethira stretched and groaned and shook her head as she came to.  “You did quite a number on me last night.”

Elissa smirked and planted a kiss on Zethi’s lips.  “I’m glad you liked it.”

“I always do, Elsie.  To change the subject, do you or Elana have any idea about any future Shards or where we should head next?  I’m not feeling any strong pull toward any destination in particular right now.”

“I’m not feeling the presence of any Aetherial Shards nearby either.  Perhaps if there are any other floating islands nearby?  Those are natural nexuses for mana, and it is likely that we can find shards there just like we did the last time.  At least, short of combing all of Thirassa and hoping to stumble upon them.”

Elissa nodded and relayed the information to Zethi, who agreed that it seemed a reasonable enough lead.  The two slowly got dressed, taking longer than necessary as they mutually admired each other’s figures and occasionally felt one another up.  But within a quarter hour, the two had dressed themselves, donned their armor, and made their way downstairs for breakfast.

Breakfast was less than appealing to Elissa, consisting of some sort of fluffy and greasy egg dish, along with extra greasy sausage and glasses of orange juice.  It was simply too much for her— the richness of the eggs was an assault on her taste buds and the sausage was overspiced and went down like so much grease.  But Zethi slopped it up and, after eating the remainder of Elissa’s meal, quickly requested another order.

“How do you eat this stuff?” Elissa finally asked.  “I mean, it’s not terrible, but it’s just too much!  Needs something lighter.  Even some toast or bread or something.”

“Oh–  I’m used to this sort of thing.  You get these really heavy dishes in taverns like this one because it’s supposed to be one of the best cures for hangovers.”

“Oh.  I see.  Do you even get hangovers, Zethi?

“It’s probably possible?”  

Zethi downed another massive portion of sausage, and if it were anyone else, Elissa would have been grossed out by the voracious display.  But as it was, it was her love, and so even as Zethi gorged herself of greasy grub, Elissa could only sit there with a grin on her face and watch, as smitten as she was the day the two first met.

Watching Zethi gorge herself in another tavern reminded her of that day so many months ago when the two met.  It was a cold and misty day, even by the standards of Hythra, and Elissa had little more than a thin cloak and light robes as she darted her way through the streets, trying to evade the eyes of the few Loriaei agents or Alstaran people who might have recognized her.  In that regard, being a cloistered princess proved to be quite a boon as she made her way through the drizzle into a tavern known for having a number of adventurers and swords-for-hire.

But that was when she quickly learned that honor and chivalry, the same virtues instilled in the Royal Knights of Alstara, carried no weight among the crowd that frequented such establishments.  Instead, she got only cold looks, the occasional leer and more than a few lewd remarks from any number of men more interested in her body than her as a person.  

It was the first time in her life she’d felt so truly alone, and so truly helpless as she wandered through the tavern, trying to hire someone who would secure her passage across the world to Gondara.  Everyone to whom she pleaded only stopped their antics long enough to name their price, and despite Elissa’s best attempts to haggle or promise the money upon arrival, none were willing to budge even the slightest.  Some even laughed at her or threatened her.

After a few minutes, she was shunned by all save the people interested in other propositions with her.  And some even even walked out, not paying her any mind, including the tall, dashing swordswoman who now sat across from her as they enjoyed breakfast together.

Elissa left, completely crestfallen, and wandered the streets for a bit longer until she was yanked into a back alley.  The horrified expression she made and the sheer panic she felt at that instant were still seared into the deepest recesses of her mind.  Loriae has finally found me.  This is the end for me.  Those, and other, darker thoughts as well.

But instead it was the woman from before, who she now knew to be Zethi, her love.  She looked at her with a mixture of scorn, ridicule, and maybe the barest hint of concern, or so Elissa had hoped at the time.  She grabbed her by the shoulder and covered her mouth with scaly claws.

“What in the hells are you doing?” she asked, speaking in a frightful whisper.  “A little child like you going to a place like that, saying those sorts of things.  Are you trying to get yourself killed?  Because if so, I’d be glad to run you through with my blade and put you out of your misery.”

“I–”  Elissa struggled in vain against Zethi’s superior physical might, and without either the knowledge of swordplay she’d since gained under Zethi’s tutelage or the magical prowess she’d acquired through the soulstones and awakening to being the embodiment of the goddess Elana, she was powerless.  Completely unable to resist, and yet, for reasons she didn’t understand at the time, absolutely taken by her.

“I need to escape this place.  Travel across the world, get to Gondara–”

“I heard that much.”  Zethi flicked her hair and revealed a pointed ear.  “These aren’t just for show.  Now then, I want to know.  What is that jewel around your neck?”

Elissa hesitated for a moment.  “I don’t know.  It’s a relic I’ve had since I was a child.”

“Relic?  Interesting choice of word.”

“I don’t know much.  All I know is that I was told to hold onto it and make sure not to give it up no matter what.”

Zethi looked Elissa in the eye.  “Who are you?  No funny business or I really will put you out of your misery.”

Elissa took a deep breath.  She was scared out of her mind and dealing with yet new and unwelcome sensations from within her body.  Sensations she’d never felt before.  One which she didn’t realize at the time, but now recognized as being completely and overwhelmingly smitten.  The combination of strength, grit, and most importantly, confidence within Zethi was too much, and unlike every other person in the tavern, she at least took the time to hear her out.  And with all that in mind, she decided to trust her.

“I’m…  Elissa.  Elissa Alstara, the former princess of these lands.  I need to get to Gondara.  Those were the last words St. Charlestein said before he rushed me out of the monastery where I’d been seeking refuge these past months.”

“And… what would you give me as compensation?”

“I can only promise payment when I get there.  Fifteen thousand gold.”

“That relic.  Give it to me.”

“But–”

“No buts.  Your kingdom is dead, your title means nothing.  But at least that stone around your neck is worth a few gold if I find escorting your pathetic ass around.  And don’t try to dance around the conditions either— you want my help, I hold on to that stone.”

Elissa was shivering and whimpering, something Zethi no doubt did find pathetic back then.  But she wasn’t that way anymore.  She was every bit a match for Zethi now, whether in combat or in the bedroom.  And as Zethi finished her meal, Elissa could do naught but gaze upon her love with a wistful smile, daydreaming about how lucky she’d been to have met her back then on that day when all hope seemed lost.  It truly was the start of her situation improving.  And with the two of them working together, the prospect of one day restoring the Kingdom of Alstara to its former glory no longer seemed an unattainable dream.

“What’s got you in that mood?” Zethi asked.

“Just, seeing you here in a loud, greasy tavern, eating without a care in the world.  It reminds me of when we first met.”

Zethira looked away.  “Sorry about that.  I was kind of an ass back then, wasn’t I?”

“And I was pretty pathetic back then.  Seems we both bring out the best in each other.”

“Yeah.  I suppose you’re right, Elsie.”  

Zethi pushed the plate toward the center of the small table and beckoned Elissa closer.  And Elissa was all too eager to oblige, scooting her chair over and letting Zethi wrap her arm around her.

“You don’t mind?” Elissa asked.

“Why should I?  It’s not like there’s anyone who can do anything to either of us if they object.  That much is rather nice.”

“Were you like this with Raina, Zethi?”

“Sometimes.  Not usually in public though.  We were fugitives who never stayed in one place for too long, remember?  The last thing we’d have wanted to do was draw a bunch of attention to ourselves, and a half-dragon like me with my arms wrapped around a human woman definitely would have drawn attention.  Still does, apparently.”  

Zethi pointed to a couple of men across the room ogling the couple.

“You know, you four are getting a full pardon from the Kingdom of Alstara when this is all said and done, right?”

“Are you sure about that?  I’m a big, bad, scary dragoness.  You know that, right, Elsie?”  Zethi blew a small puff of smoke in what was more a playful jest than anything frightening.

Elissa giggled.  “You’re also my big, bad, scary dragoness.  And I’m certainly willing to exercise a little royal power to keep you.”

“Thank you, love.  Now then, I’m full, feeling reenergized, and ready to continue onward.  The Shards might collect themselves if we give them time, but I think all three of us would prefer if we were the ones to do so.”

“I agree.”  Elissa turned her mind inward.  “Elana, I don’t suppose you can sense any sky islands nearby?”

“I’m afraid I don’t sense any Aetherial Shards or nearby sky islands.  It would probably be best to search from the air; I will assist to the best of my ability.”

“Shall we get going?” Elissa asked.  “Elana doesn’t sense anything nearby, so it seems like we’ll have to search the old-fashioned way.”

Zethi leaned in and stole a kiss on Elissa’s cheek before strutting off.  She continued to the door, all-but strutting as she reached the exit before turning around.  “If you want another, you’ll have to take it from me by force.”

Elissa raised her eyebrows.  “Oh?  Is that the way it’s going to be now, love?  Once we get airborne, I’m going to take you up on that!”

3