Chapter 44: Back To Baruda
3.1k 23 156
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The day had come to depart from the capital. After an early breakfast, we thanked the inn for their excellent service and proceeded to the adventurers guild. I opted for the faster route and flew there to save time, as I wanted to leave for Baruda as soon as possible.

I don’t know exactly how far it is since we took another route here, but I would prefer to get back to Baruda today. It should be doable if I use my normal form.

The adventurers guild was almost empty except for a few early risers and some of the guild staff. 

“Should we go to the dismantling area or see if Saria is here first? I would like to tell her that we’re leaving,” I asked Liz, who was still drowsy from being forced out of bed.

“I can go by myself while you look for Saria,” she suggested.

“I suppose that works,” I said, looking around the guild hall. “Oh, never mind. She is right there.”

Does that woman work around the clock or something?

We made our way over to the reception where Saria was sitting. “Good morning, Saria.”

“You’re here again?” she muttered, followed by a yawn. “At least it’s earlier this time.”

“Are you trying to hurt my feelings?” I grinned.

“You know what I mean,” she sighed. “What can I help you with today?”

“Do you happen to know if they are done with dismantling my monsters?” Liz asked.

“Yes, they finished late last night. They were quite eager to have a go at the salamander, so they even worked overtime to get everything ready.”

“How nice of them,” I smiled. “That means we can leave for Baruda right after this.”

“Oh? You’re leaving?” Saria asked, looking relieved.

“Don’t worry, we will get out of your hair as soon as we have picked up the money and the magic stone from the salamander,” I said with a cheeky smile. 

“Let's head over to the dismantling area then,” Saria said as she stood up to leave. “That reminds me, the guildmaster had something to give you.”

“Give me?” 

“You remember where his office is, right? You can just go meet him while I help Liz.”

“Huh? Okay,” I replied, slightly surprised.

Liz said it was unusual to meet with the guildmaster in the first place, and I’m supposed to just waltz into his office unaccompanied and unannounced?

“I will bring Liz there when we are done.”

“Alright.”

 

I made my way up the stairs and knocked on the door to the guildmaster’s office and was told to enter.

“Good morning, I didn’t expect you to be at work this early in the morning.”

“It’s easier to start early than to listen to Saria’s lecture if I arrive late,” Grahl said with a huge sigh. “Please, have a seat.”

“I can imagine that,” I chuckled, taking a seat. “So, Saria said you had something for me?”

Grahl flipped through a stack of papers on his desk before pulling out a letter. He walked over and sat down on the couch opposite me.

“This came for you yesterday,” he said, holding out a letter.

I reached over and took the letter, flipping it over. “Graham Bluhelt? Who is that?”

“The old head of the Bluhelt family.”

“So he is a noble? Why would an old noble send me a letter?”

“Most likely he heard about your promotion,” Grahl suggested. “The Bluhelts have a long history of researching magic and training mages. Most of the mages that get promoted high enough here get an invitation from them.”

“I see,” I muttered before putting the letter down on the table. “How unfortunate for them that I left town before you could give it to me.”

Honestly, I have no interest in interacting with any more nobles. Not to mention that we are leaving today.

Grahl frowned as he looked at the letter. “I’m the one that will get the complaints, you know?”

“It’s fine,” I smirked. “We are leaving right after this, so it won’t even be a lie.”

“I understand,” he sighed. “I’ll put it back in the pile.”

“Glad you understand. Now, was there anything else you wanted of me today?”

“No, that would be all. I will send a message via the adventurers guild if we figure something out about the drug, but you will probably have more luck than we will.”

“Alright then. I’ll come back and say hi sometime.”

Descending the stairs, I cast a quick glance across the people in the main hall, hoping to catch sight of Liz.

Looks like she isn’t here yet. Should I go to the dismantling area or wait here? Oh right, Saria said I should have waited at the guildmaster’s office… I can just wait here and catch them when they come back, I guess?

As I pondered my options, an unfamiliar voice called out to me. “Hey, you.”

I turned my attention to the direction it came from and locked eyes with a man. His body was muscular and covered in scars. He had long brown hair tied back and a braided beard. Two axes hung on his back.

“Are you talking to me?” I asked.

“Female, long white hair, red eyes…”

Something tells me that he is talking to me.

“... short.”

You should have left that last part out.

“Are you the one?”

I tilted my head. “The one?”

“The one who collapsed the new dungeon and got promoted to SSS?”

This is that guy, isn’t he? I should have waited upstairs like Saria said. Oh well, it’s too late now.

“I guess I am?”

“Good,” he grinned. “Name’s Orzuz, I was called here for the dungeon. Let’s fight.”

“Why should I fight you?”

“Because you must be strong,” Orzuz said, studying my expression. “Or you cheated. Either way, we will find out.”

By now, several of the adventurers who were in the main hall had noticed our exchange and watched us from a distance. From the onlookers, I could hear whispers mentioning The Berserker, but even more often Mad Dog was mentioned.

“I will have to decline,” I said with my nicest smile.

“It wasn’t a question,” he said, his expression turning more stern.

As he said that, I noticed Saria running over with Liz in tow.

“Luna,” she almost yelled as she came up to us. “I told you to wait upstairs.”

“I forgot,” I said as innocently as I could. “More importantly, Liz, are you ready to go?”

“I got everything,” she said with a hint of uncertainty in her voice from the tense atmosphere, her eyes looking back and forth between me and Orzuz.

“Don’t ignore me,” Orzuz scowled, reaching for his axes. “As I said, it wasn’t a request.”

“You have been tol-” Saria started to intervene before a glare from Orzuz made her stop.

“Are you seriously trying to fight a mage inside the guild hall?” I asked.

“Outside is fine,” he said with a disconcerting expression on his face, letting go of the hilts of his axes.

I looked at Saria, who shook her head fervently. With a deep sigh, I turned back to Orzuz. “Look, I can’t fight you because of a personal request from the guild. I don’t want to get in trouble with them.”

“Trying to hide behind excuses?”

My patience ran out long ago.

“It’s just how it is. You can ask the guildmaster yourself,” I said before turning to Liz. “Let’s get going before things get crowded.”

“You’re not listening,” Orzuz turned his glare to Liz. “If you don’t want to fight, then I gu-”

Before he could finish his sentence, I had already taken a step forward followed by a kick straight into his abdomen, causing him to fly backward through a support pillar before crashing into the wall several meters behind it.

A mixture of shock and panic spread through the curious onlookers, causing most of them to put more distance between themselves and the scene. While Orzuz was slumped against the wall, coughing up blood, I closed the distance between us with a few quick steps.

“Luna! Don’t!” Saria yelled from behind me.

“Don’t worry,” I said, looking back at her. “He’s still alive.”

Though he might not be for long.

I stood in front of him and cast [Mana Blade]. As I was about to speak, I heard not words, but more like snarling coming from Orzuz as he tried to prop up his body using his arms alone. 

“Even I can see that your spine is broken,” I scowled. “Stay down.”

He opened his eyes, and the blood-crazed eyes that met my gaze almost appeared to be on fire. His body was broken, but he didn’t care. With every working muscle in his body, he tried to get himself up to attack me.

Of course, this is what it is. Berserker, Mad Dog, they both fit someone like you. How annoying.

I clicked my tongue and canceled [Mana Blade] before casting [Sacred Recovery] on Orzuz, healing his battered body back to full health.

My best healing spell, not counting Elyxire, should be able to restore him back to normal.

The fiery flicker from Orzuz’s eyes died out and he appeared to regain consciousness, albeit in a confused state. He looked at me with a shocked expression, trying to figure out what just happened.

I leaned down and whispered into his ear. “The next time you look at Liz like that, I will see if your body can survive without a head.”

Without waiting to see if he could formulate an answer or if he even understood me. I turned around and started walking toward the exit.

“Liz, we are leaving,” I called out.

“Huh? Okay,” she replied, sounding slightly startled before hastening to catch up with me.

I stopped and turned around, looking at the fallen pillar, the cracked ceiling above it, and Orzuz sprawled against the wall. Then, my attention shifted to Saria, whose face bore a pained expression.

“Sorry about the mess,” I apologised. “And tell Grahl I’m sorry.”

Saria remained silent, merely nodding and bidding us farewell with a wave.

We left the adventurers guild amidst the curious stares and whispers of the onlookers.

 

Entering the alley, I swiftly scooped up Liz and took to the skies heading west. It wasn't long before Liz broke the silence with a note of concern etched across her face.

“Are you okay?” she asked.

“Huh? Uhm, yeah?”

“Are you sure?” she prodded further. “You have a pained expression.”

“I’m fine, really,” I assured her. “I think I just got irritated by that guy back there.”

“What happened to him, though? His eyes seemed... odd.”

“You know about the berserker skill?”

“I have heard of it, but I don't really know much.”

“He had it, and at quite a high level too, if I'm not mistaken,” I explained. “I have only seen a few people that strong use it.”

“What exactly does it do?”

“Just what you saw. I think most, if not all abilities for that skill are passives. I think the one you saw is called [Blood Craze], where the more damage you endure, the stronger you become. There's also another one called, uhm, Indoni, Indomita? Indomitable? Something along those lines. It enhances your resistance to attacks the more damage you sustain. When on the brink of death, you're nearly impervious to harm.”

“That sounds really strong, but also scary.”

“Indeed. There's also one for accelerated regeneration. And I think there's even an ability that allows you to survive what would otherwise be lethal damage.” 

“Why don’t more people use it if it’s that strong?” Liz asked curiously.

“You saw why,” I frowned. “Using it comes at a cost. You lose your sense of reason. You don’t feel pain or fear and won’t stop unless killed or if your health gets replenished enough to cancel the passive effects. He would have killed everyone in the guild hall if given the chance. I can’t believe the guild has to rely on someone like him.”

“But why did he specifically target you for a fight?”

“It's like an addiction. They seek out strong opponents just to experience the rush of [Blood Craze],” I explained. “You saw how docile he became when I healed him, right? He will probably be satisfied for a while from the high of almost getting killed.”

“Is that what bothered you?”

“Not exactly…” I paused, inhaling deeply. “What you saw was similar to when an imperial dragon gets consumed by [Red Haze]. Only the loss of reason part, but still, it hit a little too close to home.” 

“I see,” Liz murmured, contemplating her response.

“He's probably spent most of his life alone. I suppose I saw a reflection of my own past, and it stirred something within me.”

“But you’re not alone,” Liz said softly, her arms encircling my neck as she gazed into my eyes.

“I suppose I’m not,” I replied, tightening my embrace with the arm behind her back.

 

We flew a short distance from the capital and found a secluded spot to put up a telenode.

“How are we traveling?” Liz asked once I finished casting my spell.

“It only makes sense for a tamer to ride her dragon, doesn't it?” I teased with a playful grin and removed my clothes.

Liz sighed. “Right, be a good dragon and take me home to Baruda then.”

“Right away, master,” I giggled, shifting into my dragon form.

Liz just rolled her eyes and climbed on.

“Let me know if it gets too cold or if I’m flying too fast, okay?” I reminded her before taking off.

 

The sunny weather was perfect for traveling, and I enjoyed flying in my true form for once. Liz also seemed to enjoy riding on my back after being carried for so many days.

“It truly is amazing to ride a dragon. Never in my wildest dreams would I ever think this would happen to me.”

“I guess you should thank Julius.”

“I almost feel like doing it, if he is still alive.”

“Did everything go alright at the guild? I forgot to ask after all that chaos.”

“Everything went smoothly. Although, the amount of money I received for the materials is kind of insane. I earned more in one day than I have since I started as an adventurer.”

“Was it really that much?”

“I don’t think you understand just how much money you can get when you bring in entire monsters. Typically, adventurers can only carry a few of the most valuable materials, or else their magic bags fill up in an instant.”

“I guess I never thought about it like that. Anything you want to spend your newfound fortune on?”

“Perhaps a larger magic bag. I don’t want to rely on you to carry things for me forever.”

“But you’ll still let me carry you around, won't you?” I teased.

“Of course, I wouldn’t give that up even if I sprouted wings myself,” she giggled.

“Glad to hear it. Now, hold on tight, I'm going to pick up the pace.”

156