Chapter 47: Tavern Tales
3.1k 23 153
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Another ale, please!” I beckoned to Muscles as he walked past our table with a tray full of empty mugs.

“Coming right up,” he replied, making his way toward the bar.

Mira, who had just sat down, looked at me for a moment before turning to Liz. “So, what’s up with her?”

“Luna is being moody because she didn’t like the quest we did today,” Liz explained.

“I’m not being moody,” I muttered. “Chloe made it sound like it was important. Did she rank a group of weak orcs as A rank just to get me to do it?”

“As I said before, orcs are a serious threat if they expand their territory. The report we were given said they were already a sizable group,” Hanna explained. “That alone would have put it in the B rank or above group. The fact that a lord was present was more than enough to push it up to A rank.”

“I’m pretty sure Mira’s C rank party would have been more than enough.”

“No way!” Mira blurted out. “High orcs are scary enough, and you want us to go up against a lord? Do you want to get me killed?”

“Liz, remind me,” I said, turning to her. “How many orcs did you kill today?”

“Uhm, around fifty? I’m not sure,” she replied.

“Thirty-three orcs, fourteen orc warriors, two orc shamans, three high orcs, and one orc lord for a total of fifty-three,” I replied, counting down each type of my fingers. “Now, how many spells did you cast?”

“I usually don’t count how many spells I cast. Is that important?” Liz wondered.

“Sixty-five. That includes the six spells you missed and four [Ice Barrier]. Also counting that you cast three on the lord.”

“You kill orcs with one spell now?” Mira asked with wide eyes.

“Where are you going with this?” Liz asked, ignoring Mira’s question.

“It took you three minutes to defeat all the orcs. It took me five minutes just to collect all the corpses,” I replied with an annoyed tone. “I bet Chloe just sent us because she knew I could travel there in two hours instead of taking a full day.”

“It’s not like that,” Hanna interjected. “Liz is already too strong for A rank. If she had enough achievements, she would be S rank without a doubt.”

“Of course she is,” I replied, my annoyed face transforming into a smug grin. “Who do you think trained her? You should just promote her already.”

“It doesn’t work like that,” Hanna frowned. “But this quest will help toward that, especially since she did it ‘alone’.”

“I still think you should have registered it for both of us,” Liz said. “It doesn’t feel fair that I got a solo completion.”

“I only carried you there and carried you and the bodies home,” I smirked. “Would you give a porter credit as well?”

“Or a horse,” Mira laughed.

I glared at Mira. “You just lost your chance.”

“What? No! I’m sorry, I didn’t mean it like that!” Mira pleaded.

“Your chance?” Hanna asked, looking at the now deflated Mira.

“Mira wants to fly,” Liz explained, looking at me. “And Luna does not take kindly to being compared to a horse.”

“Oooh! I also want to try!” Hanna exclaimed, looking at me with expectation in her eyes.

“Maybe when you learn how to keep your mouth shut,” I said mockingly. “I don’t want to give you more things to blab about.”

“Don’t be too mean to them,” Liz laughed, looking at Mira and the equally deflated Hanna.

“They deserve it,” I smirked. “Anyway, back on topic. Is there a reason why orcs are considered such a threat despite being so weak?”

“You don’t know?” Liz asked, slightly surprised.

“Know what?” I replied.

“Orcs take orders from stronger orcs and work together,” Hanna said, having seemingly recovered from her pouting.

“Really? I can’t say I have ever thought about that,” I pondered before turning to Liz. “I don’t think the orcs you killed today did that, though?”

“When do you think they would have had time for that?” Liz sighed. “Their enemy appeared out of nowhere.”

“I see…” I muttered.

“That’s why orcs are being taken seriously. If left alone, they will use their strength in numbers to expand their territory, and then it will only escalate,” Hanna explained. “Haven’t you heard about what happened on the continent to the northeast of here?”

“Can’t say that I have,” I tapped my chin, trying to look through my memories. “When did whatever it is happen?”

“It’s ancient history for us, but it’s still used as an example in the lectures you must take before you can start working at the guild.”

“Did you sleep during those lectures?” I grinned.

“Fine, I won’t tell you,” Hanna pouted.

“I’m sorry, I’m sorry,” I giggled. “Please, continue.”

“As I said,” Hanna sighed. “On the continent to the north-east, four countries engaged in an all-out war which lasted around ten years. The monsters were neglected during the war since most of the countries’ forces were spread out over multiple fronts. Leaving them free to expand, monsters of all kinds expanded their territories. They became a threat that could no longer be ignored.

The four, now three countries, made peace so they could each focus on their own lands. The problem was the fourth, ruined country. No country wanted to spare forces to protect land that hadn’t been officially claimed by anyone yet, which in turn left the monsters to run rampant.”

I didn’t expect such a long answer.

“Before long, they found themselves invaded by hordes of orcs from the ruined country, forcing the three former enemies to make an alliance. However, since the war had depleted their forces, the orcs eventually overran the entire continent, causing the survivors to flee here. That’s the reason why orcs are taken so seriously here.”

“That’s quite a tale,” I mused. “When did that happen?”

“There is a book about it if you are interested,” Hanna smiled. “It happened around the year 350, give or take a few years.”

That’s long after I went to sleep.

“I see…” I pondered. “So, are the orcs still here?”

“No, the continent was retaken, but it took almost 500 years before an expedition to retake it was sent.”

I guess I should be happy that the heart of the former Dragon Empire isn’t occupied by orcs.

“And what is this country’s relationship with them?”

“Neutral, I guess? We don’t interact much since the Crystal Trench makes traveling difficult.”

“The Crystal Trench?” I asked, unfamiliar with the name.

“It’s the name of the sea between the continents. From what I have heard, it’s full of reefs and treacherous waters. If you don’t follow the mapped route, you will most likely sink,” Hanna explained. “And both routes used to get there pass through waters controlled by Kaydossa.”

“Them again,” I muttered. “Can’t you, you know, blast open a new path?”

“Where do you think the name came from?” Hanna smirked. “The jagged reefs are almost see-through and unbreakable.”

“Oh? Now that’s interesting,” I mused.

That’s what they call my so-called legacy? After all, that sea was made when I lost control during the dragon war. But what are those crystals? Can magic turn rocks into crystals with just brute force? I’m a bit interested.

“Heeey, are you done soon?” Mira groaned. “Can’t we talk about anything else?”

“Of course,” I smirked, turning to Mira. “How’s your love life? Caught a man yet?”

Mira stared at me before putting her forehead against the table. “Hanna, tell me more about those orcs.”

A round of laughter erupted from our table before Liz once again reminded me not to be a bully.

“Speaking of orcs. I can’t believe you eat them,” I said, looking at Hanna.

“You didn’t know that?” Hanna asked. “Then why did you bring them in?”

“Too much effort to get the magic stones myself,” I shrugged.

“Of course,” Hanna sighed, shaking her head. “But orc meat is mostly eaten by the less fortunate in the slums or as emergency rations in the army. That’s why it’s so cheap. We still accept it since people rarely bring it in. Takes up too much space compared to the money you get from it.”

“Makes sense,” I pondered. “As long as I don’t have to eat it. Have you tried it, Liz?”

“Once,” Liz replied with a frown. “Never again.”

 

Sometime later, Hanna said it was time for her to go home.

“I’m just checking,” Hanna said, giving me a doubtful look. “You do remember what you agreed to, right?”

“Agreed to?” I asked, tilting my head.

Hanna gave me a deep sigh and just as she was about to lecture me, I interrupted her. “I’m joking. Go see Tessilia tomorrow or the day after, right?”

“It’s Lady Tessilia,” Hanna muttered. “But yes. Please don’t forget.”

“I know, I know. Now go home and sleep.”

After Hanna had left, Liz, Mira, and I were left wondering what to do.

“Should we head up to our rooms, as well?” Liz asked, looking at Mira, who was already resting her head on the table.

“I suppose so,” I answered. “Otherwise, I will have to carry that one to her bed again.”

“I can still hear you,” Mira muttered, looking up. “So, what about that thing we talked about, Liz?”

“What thing?” I wondered.

“I promised Mira I would help her with training.”

“Oh? Look at you,” I smiled. “I guess I won’t be needed then?”

“I thought I could help Mira when you went to your appointment.”

“I might as well go tomorrow, then,” I pondered. “To get it over with.”

“That works with you, Mira?” Liz asked.

“Sure, I have nothing planned with my party tomorrow.”

“Let’s meet tomorrow morning, then,” Liz said, emphasizing the morning.

“Isn’t afternoon better?” Mira asked with a pained expression.

“No,” Liz grinned, fully aware of the state Mira would be in tomorrow.

“You’re made for each other,” Mira whispered while she got up from her seat.

“What was that?” Liz asked.

“I said I’ll see you tomorrow morning,” Mira muttered as she went to the bar to pay her tab.

“Let’s pay our tab and go upstairs, as well,” I said, making my way to the bar.

“Let me pay today,” Liz said, grabbing my hand to stop me.

We walked up to the bar, and when Liz was about to pay, she tapped her waist a few times before a look of horror appeared in her eyes.

“Is something wrong?” I asked, confused about her fidgeting.

She turned to me with shame in her eyes. “I forgot my magic bag in our room.”

I strained my face, trying to stifle a laugh. “I guess I’ll be paying tonight,” I said, turning to Muscles and giving him the money I took out of [Inventory].

“I will pay you back when we get back to our room,” Liz said with an embarrassed face as we made our way up the stairs.

“I’m sure you will,” I whispered with a grin as I pushed her up the stairs. “But I don’t accept coins.”

153