Ch. 1 – Joining the workforce.
213 6 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Standing in a line, all five of us were probably stressed. Though, I could see that the two men and three women standing before us were a lot more uncomfortable with this... situation.

"Hello, my name is Nicole Gewarder, a Rank 1 Investigator. I'm German, age 23, and I joined the Polish CCG after 4 years of the special training programme. I hope we'll get along well." Said the woman standing right next to me. She had a lot more guts than me, I gotta say.

After a second, it was apparent that I was supposed to be the next one to introduce myself to my new coworkers, since their eyes shifted to me, after greeting her.

"Hello, I'm Nick Havel, from Czech Republic, and I'm 19 years old. I'm a Rank 3 Investigator and I joined the standard training program for the CCG a year ago. I hope I won't be a liability for you." Diligent, humble, proper and trained. That's what they want from me, so that's what I'll be, at least for the job. And there's no way I could overtake a Rank 1, so if I do it like that, at least they'll know that I understand my place in the hierarchy here.

The other three went by even faster, stared down by our new mentors. Their names were Max, Adam, and Evelyn. At least I think. I zoned out too fast into their introductions to know. Not like I care enough to remember either way.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure they're wonderful people with good fortunes and nice pasts, but I was there just for the money, not to make friends or anything like that.

It was just by pure chance that I even joined. The CCG pays surprisingly well in Poland, and my only other joice of job wasn't even comparable to the pay there. And university was way too pricey for me to go there, even if my parents were willing to pay for it entirely. I just couldn't take so much money from them for my conscience to stay clear.

So, I joined the standard training program, for which my parents were willing to pay. At least my talents were enough to get me the job faster than the others. I was surprised at first, because I was doing it just to have a card that said "This guy can protect you, hire him faster than others, and give him more money to stay", just like the cards I got after training for an EMT and a firefighter. It was just supposed to look good on a CV, nothing much.

Though, I still accepted the offer, because a job's a job, and as a Rank 3 I guessed I was just gonna do paperwork for my mentor at first, and after my training period, I'd at most take one mission a month. Maybe enough for a bonus, but most people take multiple, because they want to "protect humanity" or some virtuous shit like that.

I mean, what's there to protect, even?

Either way, after the last three introduced themselves, the mentors looked at eachother a bit, said a few words, from which I only understood "third", "left", "ten" and "eleven", and then decided who will talk to us.

After that, they all stood a bit straighter than before, and the one second from my right, a kinda handsome older guy, stepped out of their line. He was wearing the standard suit that we all were, since it was the standard uniform. Of course, you can modify it, but you have to ask management first, so no one really does.

"Good morning everyone, I am a Special Rank Inspector, my name is Thomas, and I hope you will like working with us. We've decided who will be mentoring who, and with full certainty, we have chosen so that you get trained accordingly. So, let's go get your specialized qinque, if you don't have your own yet. Then each of us five will take their new student, and you'll do your business then"

Oh. Right. That. I hoped they would forget about the qinque, since it just cements in that we would have to fight. I mean, eight or nine years ago it would be expected of new Investigators to fight, but now that the treaty with ghouls was accepted not only in Japan, but also in most countries in the world, you wouldn't expect to fight much as a new recruit. Even China accepted it, although heavily modified, so that they can force ghouls to fight in wars after a certain age.

Either way, it seemed like our mentors were dead set on training us to fight. How annoying.

And so we walked. To the elevator. It was somehow spacious enough to have all of us in there without any trouble.

The Special Rank Guy had pressed the -6 button, and slapped his key card on the reader above it.

How low did it really go, I have no idea even now, but I am sure it had some hidden places way lower than I ever was. Or ever will be. Or ever could be. I guess.

Anyway, we arrived after some time and some awkward small talk started by our higher-ups, and walked out of the elevator.

"Welcome to the weaponization lab of the Bydgoszcz CCG institute, newbies. Here, is where you'll receive every single qinque you will ever have."

The Special Rank Guy (yes, I forgot his name, diss me if you want) had announced, walking into an almost entirely white room, with some large machines with screens attached to them. 

Hello everyone. Was the first chapter to your satisfaction? I hope so. 

I also hope you will give me feedback in the comments after you read it, because I personally cannot work without any motivation, and any sort of feedback will motivate me, because I'll know that someone actually does read it. It will also let me know what to make better.

So, thank you for reading, and I hope you'll enjoy the future chapters.

7