Uninhabited
5 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Announcement

  Your feedback will decide the fate of my story – to continue or to drop it – your thoughts matter!"

 

 

 

Wang Lame, help me make arrangements first. I'll figure out the money in these two days."

"Alright."

Wang Lame, carrying a ragged bundle, limps away.

I can't be sure if he's reliable, but having been in the Jianghu for many years, he must know a thing or two. A seven-day interval isn't long, and having someone help is better than blindly handling it myself.

A sleepless night, still haunted by fear, my body exhausted to the extreme. Despite having numerous worries, I can't hold on any longer.

Locking the doors and windows, I retreat to the bedroom to rest.

Sleeping is not peaceful; I have many nightmares, sometimes about the Red Lady, sometimes about the terrifying old man from the bun shop. Trying to escape, but I can't.

When I wake up, it's already dusk.

Drenched in sweat, my clothes soaked, I feel like I've just been pulled out of the water.

I light a cigarette, sitting alone in the dim shop, contemplating for a long time.

No matter how unwilling to believe, falling into a terrifying trap is an undeniable fact. Worn out and useless, the only thing that matters is seizing every opportunity to break free.

Extinguishing the cigarette, taking a shower and changing clothes, eating something hastily, I face the darkening sky, riding my electric scooter out of the urban village.

In less than half an hour, I arrive at the entrance of an upscale residential complex.

Majestic gates stand tall, and several spotlights illuminate the marble plaque.

Yunhui Elegant Gardens.

A well-known upscale residence in the East District of Dongzhou City, adjacent to Dongzhou University. It's not too far from the urban village where I am, but the environment is worlds apart.

Dressed in street vendor attire, I take out the keychain, pretending to be calm under the scrutiny of the security guard, and swipe the card to enter the complex.

Shaded by green trees, winding paths, and a cool breeze upon entering.

In this large complex, the occupancy rate is not high. Only a few households in each building have lights on, almost no one moving outside, eerily quiet.

Dim lights, swaying tree shadows, dark corners that seem to hide something. This upscale complex strangely exudes a sense of gloom.

Walking alone, there's a constant chill down my spine, as if something is following me. When I turn around, there's nothing.

I walk and search, unfamiliar with the place and the dim lighting, I don't find Building 6 in a short time. I stop and squint, surveying the entire complex.

Rustling sounds—

Next to me, the bushes sway slightly, making a subtle, eerie sound, as if something is inside.

I furrow my brow, cautiously approach the bushes, and use my phone's flashlight to illuminate.

Whoosh!
Branches shake, and a dark figure suddenly jumps out of the bushes, heading straight for me. Startled, I quickly dodge.

The figure lands, revealing a tall and robust German Shepherd, baring its teeth and growling menacingly, crouching in an attack position, emitting threatening sounds.

I move just a little, and it reacts as if greatly stimulated. The black fur on its neck stands on the end, and it barks wildly at me.

Could I have encountered an unlucky encounter with a mad dog?

The German Shepherd is known for being fierce, and when targeted by such a dog, I dare not move recklessly. I feel troubled, thinking about how to escape.

"Ruka, Ruka, where are you?"

At this moment, a woman's anxious shout comes from not far away. Soon, a sophisticated middle-aged woman rushes over.

"Ruka, how did you come here? Why are you barking again? Stop! Stop!" The middle-aged woman, upon seeing the scene, pauses and urgently gives a command to the German Shepherd.

Ruka, as if finding a savior, stops barking and retreats behind its owner, gradually calming down but still warily staring at me.

Its gaze is strange, as if fearing something.

"Sorry, sir, didn't scare you, did we? Ruka sometimes runs and barks randomly, but has never hurt anyone." The middle-aged woman comforts Ruka, holding the leash, and smiles apologetically at me.

Her tone is gentle, and she looks cultured.

"It's okay; I wasn't injured anyway." I breathe a sigh of relief.

"That's good." The middle-aged woman looks at me for a moment, saying strangely, "You seem unfamiliar. Just moved in, right? If there's nothing, it's better to go home quickly. Don't wander in the complex at night."

"Why?" I ask.

The middle-aged woman doesn't answer, grabs Ruka's leash, and leaves hastily, soon disappearing into the night.

Why are the people in this complex so peculiar?

With doubts, I continue wandering in the complex, finally finding Building 6, Unit 2.

Unexpectedly, I encounter the same middle-aged woman downstairs.

Standing at the elevator entrance, we both seem surprised and awkward.

The German Shepherd named Ruka, upon seeing me, bristles its fur again, eyes filled with fear, growling threateningly.

The middle-aged woman comforts Ruka by stroking its head for a while.

"I'm sorry, Ruka used to bark randomly at the air, but I don't know what happened today." The middle-aged woman touches the black fur on Ruka's neck, troubled.

I have a sudden chill.

They say dogs can see things invisible to the naked eye. Could it be that I've come into contact with something unclean?

A cold sensation crawls up my spine. I instinctively turn around, but of course, I see nothing.

In the dimly lit lobby, there are only the middle-aged woman and me, along with a dog with an eerie gaze.

Feeling uneasy, I take out my black smartphone, intending to use the camera to check if there's anything around me.

Ding.

At this moment, the elevator doors slowly open.

Seemingly in a hurry, the middle-aged woman, leading Ruka, enters the elevator first.

"It's getting dark; it's better not to stay outside. If you don't mind, let's go upstairs together." She looks at me and presses the elevator button.

This is the second time she has said this. Looking at her expression, it doesn't seem like a joke.

What's wrong with this complex?

"Okay, thank you." I enter the elevator and swipe my card.

One elevator for one unit, the elevator only stops at the floor with the card swipe, ensuring high privacy.

I'm on the 18th floor, she's on the 17th.

The reflective metal doors close. In this confined and narrow space, Ruka seems even more nervous, its strong body huddled behind the middle-aged woman, tail tucked, not daring to make threatening growls.

"Do you live in 1802?"

Holding the black smartphone, before I have a chance to open the camera, the middle-aged woman suddenly asks.

Her gaze has been strange since she saw me heading to the 18th floor.

"What's wrong? Is there a problem?" I don't answer directly because I'm not a resident here.

"It's nothing. It's just that the 18th-floor unit has always been vacant, never seen anyone living there." The middle-aged woman hesitates, obviously knowing something but reluctant to speak.

No one lives there?
I'm stunned.

If 1802 is an empty unit, does that mean I've come here for nothing?
But judging by the middle-aged woman's expression, it seems that the situation is more complicated than just being unoccupied.

"Miss, what's the issue with the unit on the 18th floor? Can you tell me more clearly?" I ask sincerely

0