I-III: COMING OF WINTER
1 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"When the southern sky turns red, winter arrives, riding on the northern wind."

 

When the pair finally made it to the top of the hill, night had fallen. The air was unusually chilly but Sven did not appear to have been affected by it. Melanie, however, sneezed in response to the cold air. Sven turned his eyes at her, his worried emerald orbs seemed to shine in the night sky.  And yet, for Melanie, his eyes looked like it could pierce right through her.

 

Instinctively, she raised a hand and rubbed her red nose, “Don’t worry. I’m fine. It’s just that… winter is coming.” Sven’s emerald orbs widened, then relaxed. He had always known that she was an unusual person but he did not expect her to be able to know that winter was coming. Besides, it would have taken another month for winter’s coming. From the sound of it, it could not have been wrong but it did not seem to be a favorable condition. 

 

But why?

 

Realizing the change in his composure, Melanie opened her mouth to speak again, “Hey, Sven.” That pulled him out of his thoughts and his attention was on Melanie again. Melanie looked up at the night sky, “Sven, what do you think of death?” 

 

He looked at her and thought about her condition. I did not know she was that ill. Is she reallyI wondered how she felt. 

 

And then, there was silence. For a moment, there was nothing but the two of them.

 

The sound of the creatures of the night was not there.

 

Sven coughed, breaking the silence. And then, he replied, “Death is something everyone would have to go through one day. Until that day, we are stuck on this land. Death is rather ambiguous. We do not know what is on the other side. And because we are unsure, we are afraid. Some people try so desperately to stay alive. Those who seek Death, the outcomes are so horrifying, it’s irreversible.” He clenched his jaws as he finished his sentence, as if remembering some events from the past.

 

And then, he relaxed and stared at Melanie, not sure of what he said had answered her question as she remained silent.

 

Melanie’s composure did not budge and she spoke of this in return, “No one can seek Death, Death seeks us. And when He does, there is no escape.” Her voice was cold and devoid of emotion. Sven let out a sigh, not knowing where this conversation was leading to. She turned to him and their eyes met. Her eyes were cold and his emerald orbs wavered. “Melanie?”

 

Brushing dust off her dress, her gaze casted downwards for a moment and back at him. “Now, what brought you here? I don’t suppose you came here to meet an old friend you never spoke much to before?” Her eyes were firm and it would seem like the cold had left her, momentarily.  Even so, she would rub her nose from time to time.

 

Like the cold was playing with her .

 

“We require your assistance,” he said solemnly. “We wish for your return to Machina, Melanie." As compared to before, he was different. He sounded like the man in his position. The person she used to admire before has returned. Yet, she felt no admiration now. She felt only strangeness and uneasiness. Noticing her uneasiness, he turned away, traces of red blush on his cheeks. “I mean, I hope you would…”

 

Melanie smiled bitterly, “Did the academy not tell you of my illness? I can’t—“

 

He spoke again before she could finish her sentence. It would be as if he knew of her response. ”Even so, the country needs you. I need you. It might sound really self-centered of me but I want you to join us. Your illness might get worse—without a doubt it would—but I still want you there. Fighting with us. Fighting them. It would not be long before they get through our defenses and then—every person in this country—no, this world would be in danger,” he said in desperation.

 

“Them?” She asked. Her throat felt dry, it might be just the cold though. Yet, it might be something entirely different.

 

Beings from the other side of the sky.”

 

“—I will go,” the moment his words registered in his mind, she replied, bluntly, with not a single hesitation. Sven nodded, “I understand. I came knowing that it will take more than words to convince you but—wait? what? You will? Even though you will have to put your life at risk? Are you really sure?” His eyes widened in disbelief.

 

“Yes, there is something I must confirm. In regards to those beings from the other side of the sky.”

 

“Our duty is to protect the balance of space and time. Therefore, we must make sure the humans and beings from the other side of the sky, the Secondnever clash, never meet. If they do, winter will come. Days will end, and the sun will never rise, leaving only lightless, never-ending nights. And He will come. He will not rest till the world ends, he will not rest till his wish is fulfilled. And in order for his wish to come true, the balance between time and space must be broken.”

 

Every year, the Headmaster would deliver those words to the studentsfellow Thirds, fellow future dwellers of time and space. He made sure that those words were remembered, engraved deep in their minds. And each time he said those words, everyone would pay full attention to them.

 

It was a sort of oath, a life dutywho can do it, if not them?

 

And therefore, as a third kindthey have to do whatever it takesto protect the balance of time and space. No matter what the cost is, even if it required them to give their lives for it, they would. It was something they were born to do.

 

She promised to return to the City of Machines, the place where her health might deteriorate terribly or even lead her to her death. Even so, she must go. She felt like it was her duty, even though she did not know what that was. She felt it in her heart, I must go .

 

Expectedly, the news came as a shock to her parents. They tried to stop her, but nothing could break her decision. She was so determined that they had no choice but to let her go.

 

Sven promised them that he would look after her—with all his might—a single hint of uneasiness in his tone. He was not sure whether or not he could be of help to Melanie—she was always so independent, always able to do everything by herself and she needed no one else but herself. She might look small and frail—but she was strong—even stronger than he would ever be, he had believed. Even so, he knew—he wanted to keep her alive.

 

It was all proven, that night as she awoke from her dreams in cold sweat. He was never able to sleep a wink for a very long time—so as soon as he heard a cry—he rushed to her room. To find the strong girl he believed she was, but only to find a frail, scared girl.

 

“Dreams,” Melanie said as she started breathing heavily. Sven was going to reach for her but she stopped him. “I walked on an icy road feeling nothing but searing pain. And then I collapsed like an avalanche, and felt nothing but pain. When I pulled myself together again, the skies remained dark. The night was cold. Cold and empty.”

 

She hugged her knees, emotions from her dreams reached for her and she held herself.  She convulsed in fear, “—Winter is coming. There’s no point anymore…” Sven reached for her arms and pulled her into his arms. “It’s wrong,” he said, over and over, in exasperation.

 

How could a person as frail as her carry so much emotion in her?

 

In the arms of the person she was in love with for so long, she should have been happy. Some parts of her were indeed relieved but she still felt cold. Even if the sun rose, she knew that the ice would not melt.

 

Was I looking for sympathy?

 

It hit her then, she had kept walls around her heart for far too long.

0