I-VI: CITADEL OF PAIN
0 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The worried crease between his eyes never went away.

 

Screams and Fire.

 

The skies were dyed in bloody red—the air was humid and suffocating. Screams and cries could be heard all over the country. While they make their way to Machina, something sinister landed on the lower lands, setting everything in sight on fire. Panic and fear enveloped in the country, swallowing its people.

 

Sven and Melanie were finally reaching Machina City. The carriage they took in Portland had arrived at the hill before the city. It had stopped for them to take a short rest. His subordinate urged Sven to take a short rest. Sven had wanted to get to the capital as quickly as he could to regain control over the situation.

 

The division in Machina is their last line of defense. But, Melanie was still unconscious. Bringing a person not in his or her senses to the poison city was reckless. He did not wish to bring more pain upon her body.

 

A messenger came, covered in blood and dirt, all the way from the lower lands, bringing undesirable news.

 

The towns were under attack by a creature of the darkness. A monstrosity that could do what would take several machines a year or more, in just a few days—a total destruction of a country. Sven frowned at the thought. He was fearful of what that was yet to become.

 

A sense of urgency filled his mind, probing him to go to the city now. He directed his men to get ready and for the messenger to take rest in the carriage.

 

I can’t breathe… I can’t…

 

There was no light, only darkness. Darkness that was almost endless. A cry so loud it was almost deafening.

 

She winced, her knees against her chest and her hands on both her ears. Her mind shouted, make it stop, make it stop! And despite her pleadsthere was no one there to help her. No one to ease the pain, no one to ease the suffering. She wondered if death would stop everything.

 

She slowly opened her eyes to find herself floating in mid air. Her chest throbbed in pain, struggling for air. She inhaled shakily, feeling weak and weary. All she could see was nothing... Nothing but dizziness and pain.

 

Hi…karu…

 

Melanie awoke to the sound of Sven coaxing her out of her sleepy state. She stared at him through her fearful golden orbs, struggling to bring her vision into focus. At first all she could see was only darkness, but then came a glimmer of green light, pulling her back to her senses. Sven’s emerald orbs were weary, tired and filled with pain.

 

“Are you feeling fine now?” His voice cracked. Melanie gave a weak smile to reassure him. “—Come” he said, taking her hand and helping her off the carriage. The horses whined softly as the driver fed them with carrots. The sun was setting and dusk was near.

 

And the city in front of her eyes was Machina—her once sanctuary—the city of machines. The sound of machines used to make her feel at home. She stared at the endless sky. It was dark and empty, like the city. A huge number of factories loomed in the space of which she once called home. Covered in fog, the whole city felt like it was darkness itself.

 

Melanie felt nauseous.

 

Was this truly her home?   

 

“What is…?” Her voice shook, as Sven took his place beside her. “Machina. A lot has changed since you left,” Sven replied, in a bitter tone. Everything she knew of was gone. Everything was alien to her. The up and going, hustle bustle city she once knew was gone. All that was left was factories and towers. It was a gloomy sight.

 

Almost like a city that awaits death, almost like the end was not really far away, she thought as her mind wandered. And it was all her undoing. Melanie shook away her thoughts.

 

It was not her faultit was mine, for calling out to her.

 

“..Melanie,” Sven called out.

Her attention returned to Sven. His emerald orbs were losing light by the second. She did not wish to see that—with that thought—she looked forward, concealing a frown. Sven raised his hand, pointing towards the edge of the city. Far off the city, stood a dark, vertical, oddly familiar tower that stretched from the ground to the clouds.

 

“What is that..?” Her voice shook, finding the tower unpleasant and disturbing. Noticing her displeasure, Sven let out an inaudible sigh, “That’s the academy.”

 

Melanie froze, her golden orbs widened in disbelief. The Academy in her memories was not like this. It was a place full of life, full of excitement and magic—a place where machines come to life and all their efforts become fruitful.

 

Melanie curled her lip and looked away, hoping to find a peace of mind but to no avail. Her new view provided her no solace. The dark skies parted, showing nothing but flames. The forests were burning and cries could be heard.

 

Why hadn’t she noticed that earlier?

 

The scene was similar to her dreams. Her breath ragged.

 

Nidhogg is here.

 

“Do you see what I see?” Melanie whispered, hoping that she was there. She remembered the message in her dreams. She looked at Sven’s stern face, and turned to the city once more. The looming darkness above the city was endless and suffocating, making Melanie feel like it could swallow her up any minute now. She covered her mouth and looked away.

 

Sven looked at her, then walked back to the carriage and returned in his hands a strange looking box. He passed it to Melanie. Melanie looked at him in a questioning gaze, but she took it nonetheless. She opened the box to find three tablets.

 

“These will help you,” was all he said about the tablets as he returned to the carriage. “We shall leave for Machina now.” Melanie grimaced, and followed him close. She took a tablet and closed the box. She swallowed hard, not sure what she should do if she had not returned by the time they reached Machina. Her health would deteriorate and she would grow much weaker and powerless.

 

When all had boarded the carriage, it began moving towards Machina City. There was a solemn silence in the carriage. The messenger was resting—weary from his journey—and Sven’s men were filled with worries. Sven remained silent—the worried crease between his eyes never went away.

 

Melanie closed her eyes, trying to find a peace of mind. Everything was weird. The world was never supposed to be this way.

 

It was madness.

 

Suddenly, the sound of the wheels moving, the whining of the horses, the whipping sound, the snoring, and the prayers disappeared—all she could hear were cries and screams of fear, horror and panic.

 

Useless… Powerless… They were better off without me.

0