Chapter 40: Gesture
346 2 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The scent of her perfume, a mix of vanilla , and the smell of her smoky leather jacket hit me first, a wave of warmth washing over me before I even saw Anita. The tell-tale click of her boots on the pavement outside grew louder. Without hesitation, I kept my book aside and went to greet her. A tired smile tugged at the corner of her lips as I opened the door before she could even ring the doorbell. The lines around her eyes deeper than usual. 'Tired', written across her face.

"Hey," I called out to her, helping her inside.

"Long day?"

I pulled her into a hug, enjoying the familiar press of her body against mine. Work had been rough for her lately, some client with a demanding case, and she was carrying the weight of it on her shoulders.

"Longer than yours, I bet," she murmured, inhaling the citrus air freshener of the living room.

"Not even close," I countered, pulling back.

"You wouldn't believe the shenanigans Mrs. Jackson's cat got up to today."

We chuckled together, followed by me telling her about the chores I did throughout the day, while she responded about her cases, and her friends. This was a regular routine of ours that always soothed the edges of her long day. As Anita stepped further into the apartment, I noticed something in her hand. It was a small, sleek envelope.

"What's that?" I asked, having my curiosity piqued.

"Oh, this?", she held it up with a nonchalant shrug.

"Just a little something I picked up on my lunch break."

Intrigued, I followed her as she moved towards the kitchen. She tossed her bag onto a chair and reached for a glass, filling it with water from the tap. The black envelope remained clutched in her hand.

''Lunch break shopping?'', I raised an eyebrow.

Suddenly self-conscious, Anita tucked the envelope behind her back.

"Don't worry," she said, avoiding my gaze.

"It wasn't anything extravagant. Just a little...", her voice trailed off, and her cheeks flushed a light pink.

"surprise."

The air crackled with excitement. Was it a gift for me? A surprise? My heart kicked up a notch, a thrill coursing through my veins. Anita rarely took me out for shopping, but when she did, the things she bought for me were always expensive. What could it be? A ring? A chain..?

"Well," I pressed her, unable to contain my curiosity.

"Can't you show me this little something?"

She hesitated for a moment longer, then with a playful sigh, retrieved the envelope from behind her back. My anticipation soared as she held it out to me. It was light, almost weightless.

"Go on then," she urged, a hint of a smile playing on her lips.

"Open it."

My fingers trembled slightly as I tore at the seal, my mind racing with possibilities, as I removed the gift inside partially out of the envelope, revealing it. My jaw dropped, as my eyes had their sights fixated on it.

"Anita..." I stammered, my voice thick with surprise.

"What...no-wait, why?"

She looked down at her shoes, her cheeks flushed a deep crimson.

"Well," she mumbled, grooming, and curling a stranded piece of her hair on her side nervously. She bit her lip, a nervous habit of hers.

"Well, I know you take care of everything around the house, and you never ask for anything…", she whispered anxiously as her gaze alternated between the envelope and my surprised face.

I chuckled, unable to contain my grin. This little gift of hers was already making my day better. Carefully, I removed the card with the help of my index and middle finger holding. I lifted the card just above eye level, and the lights shone to reveal her name written alongside side mine, in a dark gold font. It was a premium black credit card, mysterious, and screaming wealth.

"I..didn't know these actually existed, babe..", I muttered, while brushing my fingers along the names.

"You didn't have to go this far...", I consoled her.

"Still, I wanted you to have something. Something of your own. A reward for being the most amazing… househusband someone like me could ask for.", she fiddled with her wedding ring, before finally meeting my gaze.

"I also want to apologize for what happened in the cabin.", she said, heaving a sad sigh.

"I..I-I don't know if this can make it up...but..I hope you'll forgive me for all those times I..hurt you, beat you, used the ropes on you...please..,", she cried out, with her voice cracking.

'Forgive me.', tears were welled up in her eyes as she pleaded towards me.

A wave of warmth washed over me. It wasn't just about the card, although that was insanely generous. It was her motive behind the gift. Her recognition of her abuse, her desire to make things right between us. To let bygones be bygones. My heart swelled with a love so fierce it threatened to burst out of my chest.

"Hey, hey," I interrupted, taking her hand in mine.

"Taking care of each other is what we do, don't we, hm?", I assured her.

Her hand squeezed mine, a shy smile gracing her lips.

"Just promise me you'll use it, okay?", she ordered. Anita brought her fingers to her chin like she was recalling something.

"They told me.. this one has no credit limit, yeah. Buy whatever you like, okay honeybee? I know this isn't enough to compensate you for everything I've done to you...but I hope you forgive me, even if it's just a little.."

"Absolutely," I grinned, pulling her close.

"But first, how about we celebrate with a nice home-cooked dinner, honeybug?"

The surprise wasn't just for her anymore. I had a feeling she would be expecting the full-course meal with candles, and wine followed by a long night of intimacy.

Tonight, we were both getting a treat.

11