Chapter 47: Jackpot
256 0 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The phone slammed on the receiver, the final click echoing like a gunshot in the quiet kitchen. I stared at the phone wondering if my fists were strong enough to punch it into a piece of metal trash. That'd be justifiable, after all. Calling me in on a Sunday. That too, a meeting with some political clients high up on the ladder. Just what I needed, huh?

I groaned as I ran my fingers through my hair, before I was caught off guard by a meek Adrian waddling into the kitchen.Bleary-eyed and reeking faintly of stale beer.

"Hey babe." he mumbled, pouring himself a cup of coffee.

"Hey yourself," I chirped.

My perfectly manicured nails dug into the counter, it's pain making me cringe inside.

"So, did you have fun going out last night?", I asked through my grittted teeth.

He mumbled something about pool and darts, avoiding my gaze. Normally, I'd be all ears about his day, playfully teasing him about his terrible aim or the questionable hygiene of bar pool cues. Today, though?

Today, listening to him talk about having fun with someone else other than me pierced my ears, making me feel a bitter taste of jealousy. Granted, nothing can top off our late-night-weekend-tired-from-life sex sessions, but I felt a bit angry nevertheless.

"Who were these 'usual' people anyway, hm?" I asked, my voice feigning casual curiosity. See, a full-on interrogation felt too obvious. This? This was my specialty.

He shrugged, his gaze flickering around the room like a trapped fly.

"Just, you know, the usual friend group."

Riight. The usual crew. Those two words that sent a spike of ice through my veins. Who were these usual friends anyway? Was it Jessica again, that airheaded blonde with her innocent smile and eyes that lingered a touch too long on Adrian? Or maybe Mia, the mousy brunette who seemed to cling to him like a shadow?

"Oh yeah?" I pressed, keeping my voice light

Adrian winced, a flicker of guilt crossing his features. Seems like he finally realized where this was going. Jackpot.

"Nothing serious, babe. Just some drinks and catching up.", he mumbled, taking a large gulp of coffee.

Normally, I'd let it slide. After all, a harmless night with friends wasn't the end of the world. But the thought of those "usual" companions gnawed at me. Maybe a little reminder was in order.

"Drinks with friends, huh?" I mused, leaning closer.

"Because last I checked, your 'friends' from university include two girls and that Jay guy, right?"

A beat of silence followed, thick with tension.

"Or am I missing something here, Adrian?", my dominant voice echoed off the walls.

He looked up, his eyes pleading. This wasn't about catching him in a lie, though that was satisfying in its own way. This was about dominance, about reminding him exactly who he belonged to.

"It was just a friendly night at the bar, Anita," he sighed.

"I won't do it again, okay?"

"Good,", I said, a playful smile returning to my face. But the glint in my eyes, the one that sent shivers down his spine during particularly heated arguments – that lingered.

"Because next time, babe," I continued, my voice dropping to a purr,

"those 'drinks with friends' might come with a slightly less… pleasant hangover."

He swallowed hard, a nervous tremor running through his hands. No need to get too graphic, after all. Adrian knew exactly what I meant, and that silent understanding was all the power I needed. From that moment on, he stayed awfully quiet the morning. He kept his gaze lowered as I ordered him in a gentle tone to make me lunch for the day. Guess he feared I'd beat him or something if he enquired why someone as busy as me is going to work on a Sunday. I let him in on everything, just as he involuntarily helped me into the car. Right as he was about to close the door though, I pulled him in and bit him hard on his neck. He stifled a moan, but as I pulled back, I found him smiling at me. How cute. I had to leave a mark on him, after all. All in the name of love, of course. A gentle reminder who he belongs to.

-

A low inaudible growl rumbled in my chest, a sound usually reserved for the bedroom, not while sitting on the meeting roundtable. But this? This enemy was far more evil, a threat that got under my skin and coiled around my heart.

"Everything alright, Anita?", Ellen chirped. I glanced up from my paperwork, concern creasing her brow.

Ellen, my ever so depressed bestie at the firm here, was looking rather pretty today. Maybe that thing she's got going on with Jay seems to be working out...

"Just a bit of trouble with the gardener," I lied smoothly while plastering a smile on my face.

"Seems he can't tell a rose bush from trash weeds."

Ellen chuckled, oblivious to the jealousy brewing beneath the surface. The rest of the day was a blur. Every document, every legal statute, every conversation at the meeting blurred into a mix of all of the emotions running through my head– the color of envy, the color of jealousy. Adrian, my perfect, sculpted Adrian, tainted by the possibility of other women.

By nightfall, a plan had begun to form in my mind, sharp and cold as a diamond. The image of Adrian, glassy-eyed and reeking of cheap beer, mingling with those unknown women, fueled a possessive fire within me.

He was mine, and the very thought of him being touched by anyone else was a violation I wouldn't tolerate.

6