Chapter 51: Dignity
616 2 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

My smile curled into a smirk as I finished my drink, feeling the heat of his hand intertwined against mine. The cafe was nearly empty now, just a few lingering customers sipping their coffees and chatting softly. A loud slurp from my straw drew Adrian's attention momentarily. He shifted uncomfortably in his seat under my gaze, unable to look me in the eye, but he couldn't escape the possessive grip I had on his hand.

"You know, honeybee, we should probably get going," I purred, pulling him up from his chair with a gentle tug.

He sat obediently beside me, his eyes locked on the table. The waitress cleared her throat as she placed the bill on the table, startling us both out of our silent confrontation. I didn't miss how Adrian's hand shook slightly as he grabbed it and pulled out his wallet, his eyes darting between me and the money as if trying to decide what to do next.

I leaned in closer, my breath tickling his ear. "It's okay, baby," I purred softly, wrapping my arm around his, like a slithering snake.

"Let's go."

He nodded, looking like a kitten scolded by his mother cat, and we left the cafe without another word. Outside, the evening sun shone down on us, making everything seem more orange than usual. I could feel the heat radiating off of Adrian's skin, making my blood boil with anger and desire all at once. His hand trembled in mine as we walked towards the car, but he didn't pull away this time. Instead, he squeezed my fingers gently - a small sign of submission that made my heart ache for him just a little bit more. As we sat in the car, the air conditioning hissed to life against our overheated skin, I reached over and turned up the radio, closing my eyes in hopes of getting some much needed rest. The host spoke about some new song by Ariana Grande before it started playing. 

I guess coincidences do exist, huh?

Her sugary voice filled the car like poison, and I could practically see Jessica mouthing along smugly in my mind, as if she was taunting me with her homewrecking lyrics. Every word felt like a personal attack on me, but I didn't let it show on my face or voice. With growing frustration, I clicked my tongue and turned away to stare out the window. My eyes followed multiple cars passing us, but more importantly, my gaze focused in on the glass's reflection. I could see Adrian's eyes flick up nervously to study my expression before quickly focusing back on the road.

So precious.

-

As the night wore on, I picked up my pace, following Jessica from a discreet distance. The soft glow of the lights illuminated her silhouette as she moved through the city. The sound of her high heels clicking against the concrete sidewalks almost made my ears bleed, but I beared it.

At-least for now.

I lingered in the shadows, hiding behind each and every corner, my heart pounding with anticipation and something darker - something possessive. The fresh taste of jealousy was bitter on my tongue, but it only fueled my determination to teach her a lesson. The air was thick with the smell of her perfume and a mixture of booze and cigarettes.

Red Crop Top. A suspiciously small mini skirt, which at a gust of wind, would give a glimpse of everything underneath. Black fishnets. 3 Inches heels. And there she goes again, stumbling awkwardly over herself, graceless and sloppy. She's like a modern day harlot, almost drinking herself to death on a Saturday night. 

My lip curled with disgust at the spectacle that was in front of me. So this was the little slut that had been eyeing Adrian, wrapping him around her finger with that self-entitled charm. I could practically smell the thirst oozing from her skin as she eyed any male passing by her.

The streetlamps cast long shadows on the ground, it's yellow glow illuminating just enough for me to see her drowsily move towards a building, which I presumed as her place, as I did my best to not lose her tail, almost like a panther stalking her prey.

When she reached the elevator, I quickened my steps and made it into the building just before the elevator doors slid shut with her inside. Not wanting to risk her spotting me, I took the stairs at a light jog, my boots pounding up each flight as I raced to catch her on the next floor up.

I rounded the corner just as the elevator dinged open, coming face-to-face with a Jessica as she stumbled out into the hallway.

I eyed her up and down with undisguised disdain as the floors ticked slowly by. What a pathetic, worthless little bitch she was - reeking of stale booze and desperation. A cruel smile twisted my lips as I watched her brace a hand against the wall, trying and failing to maintain her balance.

Before she could react, I cleared my throat and tucked my head down under my cap, hiding myself. Jessica stumbled outside, utterly oblivious to the malice lurking in the shadows mere feet away. 

Then, unable to resist any longer, I moved in for the kill.

"Oops, pardon me," I muttered in a sweet tone, using my shoulder to deliver a brutal shove as I grazed past her. The impact sent her crashing sideways, as she landed in a undignified, drunken heap on the floor.

A startled, drunken squeal of surprise and pain escaped her as she crumpled gracelessly to the floor. The sound made me smirk with dark satisfaction. I turned just in time to see her try and fail to catch herself, ending up in an undignified heap of ruined fishnets and exposed thighs.

She was so utterly disoriented, she didn't even think to look up at me or protest the blatant assault.

Pathetic.

I stood in front of the elevator smugly, arms crossed as I watched her flail about like an overturned cockroach, struggling with uncoordinated movements to pull herself on her feet once more. The sight was almost pitiable enough to subdue my bloodlust.

Almost.

With a cruel smirk, I hung back and watched in silence as Jessica finally managed to creep down the hall at a snail's pace, pausing at each door to squint blearily at the number before moving on to the next. It was downright pathetic, really- yet utterly a satisfying sight to behold. I made sure to keep a mental note of each room she passed to pinpoint her exact address down to the T.

When at last she reached her apartment, fumbling through her purse in search of her keys, I leaned into the elevator to bask in the moment. My heart rate spiked as the doors closed off the ugly sight of her, only anticipation and bitter hatred coursing through my veins.

I'm just getting started with you.

6