Chapter 13- Correct choice
811 5 30
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Xiao Mei's heart was in turmoil.

Although she acted coldly and told Wang Lin that she was breaking up, a part of her heart wanted something else. All that time when she was in front of that guy, her head was hurting a little and her heart felt heavy.

Although Xiao Mei never felt guilty about discarding that person out of her life, the previous owner of the body seemed to have different plans. 

'Ugh...how can I like someone like him...' All the facts were present before Xiao Mei's eyes. 

That person was trying to take advantage of Xiao Mei's love and leech off her money. In comparison, Cheng Wei was such a calm and responsible man. He never asked anything from Xiao Mei and always provided her with every luxury she didn't even ask for or deserved.

He could have forced himself on her. He had all the right to expect something from the person he was officially wedded to. Cheng Wei had all the right to confront Xiao Mei about her secret connection with her ex-boyfriend. Or worse, he could have locked her inside the house. He had all the reasons. 

Yet...he never raised a single voice against anything that Xiao Mei did. If anything, he only rudely talked to her when she tried harming herself or didn't take care of her health.

The last fight between them, in which Xiao Mei hurt her head, was because Cheng Wei was asking her to eat something. However, since Xiao Mei asked him for some money just a day ago, so she could give it to Wang Lin, she assumed that he was blackmailing her. 

When Cheng Wei became a little annoyed and raised his voice, she got startled and stumbled on her feet—resulting in her falling and colliding her head against the corner of the table.

Although, all Cheng Wei did was to care for Xiao Mei and his sudden outburst was a natural reaction, he blamed himself continuously for her injury. She...could see it in his eyes.

'Xiao Mei...you don't deserve him...' Looking at her reflection on the dark mobile screen, Xiao Mei inwardly muttered.

For some reason, the previous heart aching had subdued as Xiao Mei checked the time and realized that it was nearly six o'clock.

She was sitting in the car and had told Uncle Lu to drive her to a certain shopping mall.

Initially, she planned to buy some gifts for Cheng Wei's family...but now,

"Uncle Lu...at what time does Mr. Cheng leave for home?"

Considering that the old man Lu has been working for quite some time for the Cheng family, he must know about his master's arrival and departure.

"It's not certain, Madame."

Xiao Mei expected such a response.

"Then...can you drive me to his office?"

Through the mirror, Xiao Mei could see the baffled expression the old man had for a moment. However, in her current mood, she wasn't able to properly react to it.

In the end, the old man said 'As you say, Madame'.

Xiao Mei texted Zhang Yulan that she was postponing the shopping trip and would call her again later.

Yuyu: [Everything fine?]

Me:[Yes...everything will be.]

There was no reply to that but just a 'best of luck' sticker that she sent.

Xiao Mei smiled at how easily her friend understood her circumstances and didn't ask too many questions.

Putting down her phone in her bag, she finally reached the tall building where her husband works.

******

Since Xiao Mei wanted to surprise Cheng Wei, she didn't allow Uncle Lu to walk her to the office.

"Here."

Receiving her bag from the security guard she walked inside the building where Cheng Wei works, for the first time. 

As she stepped through the imposing glass doors, she was greeted by a spacious atrium adorned with sleek marble floors and intricate wooden lattice screens reminiscent of traditional Chinese architecture.

The focal point of the reception area is a magnificent golden dragon sculpture, symbolizing prosperity and good fortune, suspended from the ceiling and illuminated by soft ambient lighting. Surrounding the dragon are elegant bonsai trees and ornate porcelain vases filled with vibrant floral arrangements, adding a touch of nature and tranquility to the bustling space.

Xiao Mei was mesmerized by the sight, which garnered the nearby staff's attention,

"Excuse me, are you here for the internship?"

Xiao Mei blinked in surprise before she turned to look at the young man smiling at her.

He was wearing a business suit and his hair was neatly tied. Looking at his badge it seemed he was an employee here.

"Ah, no. I am here to visit someone. Then, thank you." Bowing slightly to the man, Xiao Mei didn't wait for him to say anything as she dashed toward the reception counter.

'I planned to surprise him...but coming here, I have lost all my motivation...' Xiao Mei felt a little defeated since now that she thought carefully, telling the receptionist that she came to meet the big boss would be nothing but an invitation to laugh at Xiao Mei.

There was a high chance that she might get kicked out. 

Her feet came to a slow halt as she neared the reception, which allowed the young man, to again call out to her.

"Are you fine? Do you need some help?"

The man looked genuinely worried, maybe because her expression suddenly turned dull, that's why Xiao Mei didn't give any impulsive reaction and with a soft smile shook her head.

"No, I am quite fine, thank you."

She was thinking of calling Cheng Wei now since all her hopes to surprise him had long vanished.

However, much to her annoyance, the young man still insisted,

"If you are waiting for someone, then how about we kill some time in the cafeteria?"

Xiao Mei barely held herself from sighing in agitation upon hearing the desperation from the man.

However, just as she was about to turn to look at him and reject him firmly, a strong and authoritative voice, shocked everyone in the reception area. 

"Xiao Mei."

*****

A/N:- I was grinning near the end of the chapter. 

30