Chapter 8 – Coincidence? I think not
135 0 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I followed them.

It may be due to my curiosity, but it’s more like my guts telling me that following them should be a good choice. To be fair, I am a fairly curious person. It’s just my nature. Even if it might get me killed someday, but that's not the point. The point is that following them should lead me somewhere, unlike wandering around aimlessly without a sense of direction.

I recalled hearing about their previous conversation about the plant monsters. At that, I knew that we were eventually going on the same path. If I could find the traces of my fellow slimes by following them, then that’s a bonus.

I haven’t forgotten the time limit the system set me up to stop the lich, which is a day or so from now; it’s still fresh on my mind. I am not that prepared that much. But with an ace up my sleeve, aka the summon, I might just have a chance. I just hope the summoning will work as expected.

In following them, I was two times as careful. With my stealth skill on active, I was fairly sure they shouldn't be able to see me or take notice if I was careful enough.

“Are we close, sis?”

“We should be. It should be around the corner,” the sister replied. They took a swift turn, and I followed closely behind them.

They took about another four to five minutes of walking nonstop while I struggled to keep up with their pace.

Damn this slime body!

“We’re near. Keep your guard up, Ken.”

“A-Alright.”

When they both readied up, I was expecting a fierce battle, maybe there could be monsters on the other side. That would honestly be fun to watch. But that expectation broke down when I could hear relief in their voices.

“W-We found it. It’s beautiful.” The awe-struck comment from the boy made me even more curious about what it was. Too bad I don't have eyes. It should be pretty beautiful.

“Yeah, it is.”

“What should we do now, Sis?”

“We rest first and continue.”

/////////////////////////////

Huh, surprisingly, I found traces of the slimes here close to the stream.

Coincidence? I think not.

So it was right to follow them after all!

Still, that doesn’t answer why they would go here. Get a bath perhaps.

I observed and tried to see if the trail was consistent. I couldn't tell for sure unless I followed it. Before that, I heard the siblings chatting in their resting area. Curiosity got the better of me, and I moved closer to quietly listen to their conversation.

Maybe I could gather more information about this world, who knows?

“Look here, Sis, It's a Jero Plant. I heard it's used as medicine during the Great War,” I heard the boy, Ken, speak.

'Great war? What’s that?' Too bad Ken didn’t further bring up the topic, which I was interested in. While I was tempted to go over to the plant and take a look at what was in store for me, I didn't want to blow my cover.

“Why would that be here?”

“Well, technically they only grow in cold temperatures. This place is pretty cold right?”

“That makes sense.”

“There are only a few of them here. I’m gonna pick them all up.”

What?! No! At least leave some for me!

As much as I would love to intervene, I don't want to blow my cover. As painful as it is to accept, I just have to endure.

Damn it, that plant could perhaps be useful.

“Well, Do your stuff. I’m gonna go scout the area.”

“Okay.”

I watched quietly as the boy went around the area to do what he said he would.

If I could glare, I would be shooting daggers at the boy right at this very moment.

Curse him!

///////////////////////////////////////

In the following minutes that followed shortly after, I searched the area for something outside their range. Something I could pick up, not them.

The plant was a lost cause. Maybe I could find something similar?

Sadly, I came back empty-handed. Not much worth getting here anyway. Just rocks and regular herbs with no benefits for me.

A pity, but it couldn’t be helped.

Seeing the siblings gathered again, they seemed to be eating. I'm not jealous. No, slimes like me don't get hungry.

As I eavesdropped on them again, they started conversing on another topic.

“Sis, What do you think the danger rank of this dungeon is?”

Dungeon? Oh, so that’s where they're going.

Not as surprising as it sounds. They are technically adventurers, so they want exploration, battles, and loots. A dungeon would do just that.

“Why ask?” The girl asked, munching down on some food.

Not Jealous, No.

“I don’t know. I’m just looking for your opinion,” the boy replied nonchalantly.

The girl hummed before saying, “Probably, S- Rank or higher if we're unlucky.”

‘S Rank?’ I was intrigued. So that’s how they classify their power level. Interesting

“S-Rank should be at least the high possibility here. There were tons of B and some A-rank monsters we fought a while ago.”

Really? Why haven't I come across some of them? I met the Lich, sure, but it felt strange. The carnivorous plants don’t count. I could assume there were low-level monsters.

“Mhm,” the girl appeared to agree. “Did you bring all the potions we needed?” The girl asked.

“Let’s see.”

I could hear some ruckus on their side.

“Okay, here it is. So we have three Strength potions for dealing with stronger enemies and two Liquified Potions that last 10 minutes in case of an underwater battle. Five Purification potions if we're dealing with spirits. Four Healing potions... well, for healing. Last but not least, two Revitalizing Potions for replenishing our mana pool.”

'Wow, that's a lot of potions.' I can't help but feel shocked. So did the girl too.

“That seems like a lot, did we really buy all of them?”

“Yes, but mostly me,” the boy chuckled. “I’ve been keeping them in case of emergencies.”

“That's…good. Very thoughtful of you, Ken. But why did you buy five purifications?”

“In case we’re dealing with spirits.”

“That doesn’t explain why five.”

“It’s important to be prepared, of course.”

I feel like there’s more to this.’ I wondered. I feel like the girl would agree with me on this one.

“Hmm, alright then. With this, we can now assure we can handle it. We’ve handled worse.”

I was piqued by that. Oh?

“Worse? You mean the last time we fought an S-Rank beast, You-No, We. We were in the clinic for weeks,” the boy exclaimed and pointed out. “If it weren’t for Uncle Gahr, We wouldn’t have come out alive.”

Oh..wow, like I said before they're strong. If I could guess, is S-Rank the peak of strength here, or there’s even more?

I wondered what rank they could be now.

“Come on, Ken, That was a year ago. We were just B-Rank adventurers back then. We’ve improved in terms of strength and teamwork,” the girl said confidently.

B-Rank? So that was a year ago. They’re supposedly stronger now, right? A or S perhaps. I couldn’t help but admire her confidence. Better than mine, I suppose.

“That’s true, given the opponents we fought after that. We did improve.”

“See? So stop being a baby and have some confidence in our abilities.”

“I know, I know,” the boy said,

“Come on, finish your food already. We're going in five minutes.”

“If you say so.”

At that, their conversation ended. I was left satisfied. I learned a thing or two from their conversation.

After a moment of rest, the two siblings headed off in another direction in contrast to mine.

With the trail finally found, and I knew where they were going next, I did not follow them. We both have different paths. They come here for loot and epic fights while I am here fighting for my life not for fame or glory. Different paths, Different goals.

[Stealth(Lvl 1 → 2)]

Would you look at that, it leveled up.

So after confirming that they finally left, I followed the trail I found and hopefully, HOPEFULLY, I would be close to their location.

7