02 Crops and herbs
12 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The sky is clear and the wind is soft, as we travel through the lands of Slakes. Zelgius doesn't talk a lot and seems mostly interested in his notes. At the horizon we see a small village coming closer. As we keep walking, we see more farmers working on the fields.
„They seem happy.", Nicole keeps staring at them.
Her armor made of plates with the emblem of Dandelion and a shield which has a flower triangle engraved in. A dandelion, a lotus and an orchid with roots coiling around each flower, forming a triangle. It is the crest of the Lands of Daphne, a land reigned by elves. Children are running towards us and stop halfway to wave at us, I wave back.
„Zelgius, you have horns and a wings. What race are you?", I ask him.
He puts his notes back into his bag: „Drakekin."
„Where do drakekins live?", I continue asking.
„Far north from here, a place called the Highmountains of Scales. Very few leave the mountains. Are you from Daphne?"
„Yes. Why aren't you living in the mountains anymore?"
„I want to study more about magic and mana."
„What magic did you use on those trolls last night?", Nicole joins in.
I feel sick remembering the scene.
„Mind manipulation. I made him see things he wanted to kill instead of himself and his friends.", he answers calmly.
I see a child on the field just staring at something on the ground.
„Why are you stopping?", Zelgius asks me.
I walk on the field towards the child and see crops wilting.
„What's wrong?", I ask the young boy covered in soil.
„I am supposed to take care of them but those crops are dying.", he looks sad.
„May i help you?", I kneel down to place my hands on the wilting crops.
My eyes are closing and I see the plants as they should be and pray: „God-mother Dandelion, through my body and soul you take action and create miracles. Help through nature and renewal your children bloom."
I open my eyes and open up my hands, showing crops growing back to life.
The boy jumps up and cheers: „Thank you, lady."
He runs towards a basket and pulls out a few tomatoes and a cucumber, then runs back to me and hands them over.
„But aren't you going to be in trouble when you give them to me?", I try holding them in my arms.
„Only if you don't tell my father.", he smiles while walking back to other crops and starts gathering.
Nicole and Zelgius are waiting for me at the road.
„Tomatoes and a cucumber, they are looking good.", Nicole comments.
We start walking into the village.
„What did you do on the fields?", Zelgius asks.
„I prayed for the crops to grow.", I smile at him.
„Did they grow?", he's getting sceptic.
„Yes."

„Welcome travelers, how can we help you?", an elderly man comes to us.
„We are on our way to Lions Heart.", Nicole answers.
„You are welcome priestress and paladin of Daphne. If you need a place for night then you can ask Luisa. She takes care of our herbs, her home is right at the end of the road.", he points into a direction.
„Thank you.", I bow.
We reach Luisa's house and knock at her door. A small blond girl in a flower dress opens it up and runs down the floor. She comes back, pulling the hand of a young blond woman with a few green strands in her hair. The small girl is hiding behind the woman.
„Good afternoon. My name is Rose, I'm the champion of Dandelion, this is my protector Nicole and this horned man is Zelgius.", I introduce us.
„Welcome in our small town of farmers, my name is Luisa the herbalist. Are you looking for a place to stay?", she smells of flowers.
„Yes, can we stay at your place?", I ask.
She makes place and opens her arm into her home: „A champion and her companions are always welcome."

In Luisa's home are a lot of books with flowers and herbs on it and there is a strong smell of herbs with a sweet scent of different flowers. A table full of flasks and vials, books stacked on every chair and her kitchen is clean.
„I don't mind having a drakekin in my home.", Luisa and the small girl are clearing the table and chairs: „Please take a seat, I will start brewing tea."
The small child tries to carry too many things at once. As she tries to balance and takes great care of every step she makes, Zelgius lifts her of the overburdance. We take a seat at the table and Luisa serves tea.
The small girl is staring at Zelgius.
„What is your name?", I look at the girl.
She keeps looking at Zelgius and then runs up stairs.
„Her name is Rina and she can't hear us.", Luisa joins us at the table.
Zelgius starts reading his notes again.
„Where are her parents?", I ask.
„They were killed. She is the only survivor."
„What happened?", I take a sip of Luisa's refreshing tea.
„I can't tell for sure but I think a demon attacked her village and killed everyone except her. Scouts of the Lions Heart brought us Rina. It has been three month since then.", she seems in pain. Rina goes up to Zelgius and shows him a drawing.
„Is this the reason why you think a demon attacked her village?", he looks at it before giving it back to Rina.
„Yes, in the first month of her stay here she kept drawing a horned creature with wings. At first i thought she drew drakekins but the more time passed on her drawings showed more traits of a demon than a drakekin.", she explains.
Rina puts her hand on Zelgius' leg and tries to reach his horns. Zelgius then puts her on his lap and she pulls out flowers and braids them on his horns. After finishing she jumps down and smiles.
„Thank you.", Zelgius smiles.
„She likes you.", Nicole says.

It's getting dusk after talking about flowers and herbs. Luisa is an experienced herbalist, although she mostly brews teas to energize the workers here. She shows us a room with two beds for Nicole and me. Zelgius will get the bed of Luisa. Luisa will sleep with Rina.
The sun is setting and clouds are slowly covering the sky.
„Do you think we will meet this demon who took Rina's family?", I ask.
„I will pray for that to never happen.", Nicole kneels down and starts praying.
Outside the clouds are lightly flashing up.
The nights in the Kingdom of Slakes are colder than in Daphne. I cover myself and close my eyes.

It's gloomy outside due to the thick clouds. I go to the living room.
„Good morning.", Luisa is already brewing her tea: „ What would you like to eat?"
„I have a few tomatoes and a cucumber. You can use them for breakfast.", I offer the vegetables. She washes them and starts slicing them. She places the slices on a plate and starts crushing a few herbs and sprinkles them on. Luisa is carefully slicing bread and cheese. She serves vegetables and cheese on a plate and bread in a basket.

After breakfast we are packing our things and are about to leave. Luisa gives us something to eat on our way and Rina gives a drawing for each of us. She drew Luisa, Zelgius, Nicole, her and me holdings hands and smiling. Zelgius still has the flowers on his horn.

„Take care.", Luisa and Rina are waving us goodbye.

„You are a kind man.", Nicole comments on Zelgius' behaviour.
Zelgius smiles while reading his notes again. I look up in the sky and see lightning flashing up in the clouds.

After walking for a long time, a lightning struck behind the trees next to the road. Zelgius stops, then walks toward the place of impact. Lightning seems to be flashing out of there and we get closer. From there a young man with short white gelled to the rear hair, pale skin and a black coat with dark blue markings struggling towards Zelgius but loses consiousness.

0