Important decisions
99 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It's been days since I met that girl, and after my research into her, I find out that she's a notorious thief, of whom the police have never been able to find concrete clues to help them catch her. As the girl mentioned, her hobby is stealing from families who got rich with shady business and, after robbing them, she anonymously sends all the information to incriminate them, leaving also a business card with the imprint of a paw of a cat and the name of her alter-ego "Black Cat".

'She must really like cats...'

In the same way as the other times she did things like this, this time, even though she left me the loot, she delivered to the police station a file with important evidence to incriminate the family she had robbed along with two other people.

The two thieves with whom, according to her, she pretended to cooperate, They certainly did not remain silent in front of the treatment of the girl, however, the identity she used with them was obviously fake, so she is still untraceable.

The only person who might know how to find her is me, and if she's telling the truth, I'll almost certainly meet her again on auction day, which was announced publicly yesterday and will be in six days. Following my meeting with Black Cat, in addition to searching for her and patrolling the city, I kept looking for new information about the serum or the missing kids but I found nothing important again.

Whoever's behind this is very thorough, they're not leaving any crumbs that can help me find them, so Kingpin's asset forfeiture auction is my only lead. Obviously I reported to that person the news about this matter, in the hope that S.H.I.E.L.D. may intervene but, contrary to what he had promised a long time ago, He has not yet contacted me.

'To think that the person in charge of the most important organization in the world is less reliable than a cat acting like some sort of Robin Hood is funny...'

A few days ago I talked to Johnny about these things and, in addition to his jokes about my meeting with Black Cat, he told me that neither Reed nor the others know anything about this serious matter but Reed, since the thing has aroused his attention, told Johnny to tell me that he would make sure he knew more about it and personally report this information to the appropriate person.

Johnny has also offered to come and help me personally in case it gets bigger than I can bear, however I replied that at the moment I do not seem necessary. After his umpteenth joke about me saying that just because I want to be alone with Black Cat, he reminds me to be careful and take care of myself.

Following that phone call, I decided to talk to Sue too and, after a lecture from her and a strange silence, that neither of us knew to say to fill it initially, in the end we chatted about various things for a while, as if nothing had happened.

'I have to admit that she seemed a bit more down than usual... maybe I should call her again today, and see if she was in a momentary mood or, as Johnny once told me, there's something really bothering her lately.'

"Peter, you okay? You've been staring at that glass case for a while, do you want to take a break?" Dr Connors says after he puts his hand on my shoulder.

"No, no, Dr Connors, I was just thinking, sorry, I keep checking how the test subject are reacting to the formula."

"Don't worry, Peter, it happens to everyone that they get lost in their own thoughts. What's bothering you? Maybe I can help you. Is it by any chance the biology test that I set up today? In that case know that I will not give you the answers." He says, to lighten things up.

"No, it's not about the test. As you know, there's the fall formal tomorrow night at school, and since I didn't ask any girls to go with me, I was thinking of going alone, since it's the last school party I can attend, If you don't count the prom that's gonna be at the end of the year for us finishing high school. Right now I'm more inclined to give up going there and stay home." I answer, by making up a plausible excuse.

"Oh, so even the stoic and serious Parker cares about these things, just like every other teenager, ahahah. You know, it's nice to know that you have these kinds of frivolous thoughts, but, at the same time, important for kids your age. Anyway, I think you should go, even if you're alone. I admire your maturity, Peter, no one at your age is as responsible as you, yet I think you're also entitled to be a little lighter, if you know what I mean. Besides, even if you go alone, you won't even be the only one in my book. I used to go to this kind of thing myself sometimes. In the end it's an opportunity to be together with friends and celebrate, there is no obligation to have a partner."

"I see, maybe I'll do as you say."

"No, maybe, go and distract yourself a little boy. Otherwise I won't let you in this lab again, okay?"

"Ahah, all right, Dr Connors."

"Well, good choice, kid, because I need your help. What do you say, you feel like continuing while I review the computer simulation?"

"Sure, I'll get right to work."

Afterward our chat, which left me really thoughtful about the fact that maybe I could go to the fall formal alone, I keep checking the various cases, in which, in cisascuna of them there is a mouse with a missing limb, We administered the third prototype of the formula that Dr Connors devised.

At one point, I realize that at one of the test subjects, the number nine, at the point where it should lack a hind leg, a part of the missing limb has regrown and, if you pay attention, it seems that the regrowth is still continuing now.

As soon as I realize this I immediately warn Dr Connors of the news, which immediately rushes to see what I have reported. Realizing himself that it was true, that the formula we administered was taking effect, Dr Connors takes the white mouse in his hands and rejoices at the success achieved.

During his celebrations, I see Dr Connors' wife and their son Billy arrive, who, as they enter the lab, are surprised by the scene unfolding before their eyes.

The moment the doctor explains to them the reason for our good mood while putting the rat back in its case, they both go immediately to embrace him, also happy with the important result he has achieved.

At the end of that family celebration, Dr Connors approaches me to shake my hand and congratulate me too, specifying that it is also thanks to my considerable help that he has managed to make such an important step in his research.

After our handshake, Dr Connors asks his wife why she was here with Billy, and she replies that she had stopped by to tell him that she was going home with Billy, since they canceled his child's afternoon class and his babysitter is not available today to look after him.

Just as Dr Connors is promising them he will join them at home soon, someone opens the door to the lab where we are.

The person who came in right now is a man dressed elegantly and impeccably, and as I watch him approach us, I sense that, whoever that person is, he did not come here to celebrate with us, but to ruin the party.

To confirm that my feeling that the appearance of that man was not a beautiful thing, is Dr Connors, whose bright expression just now suddenly gloomy as soon as he saw it.

"Dr Connors, I need to talk to you. Now." The man says authoritatively.

Hearing the tone used by that guy, I instinctively step forward but before I could do anything else, Dr Connors stops me.

"Peter, why don't you go see if the others need help while we talk? Darling, I'll see you at home, I won't be long, okay? Billy, don't upset Mom, okay? Otherwise then she takes it out on me ahah" He says, then he gives a kiss on the cheek to his wife and his son.

After saying goodbye to Dr Connors, who makes the man sit in his office, or rather, follows him as he makes his way, as if he were the landlord, we leave the laboratory, and before I head to the laboratories of the other team members, I say goodbye to Billy and Martha who are going home.

Curtis Connors P.O.V.

"You came at the right time, we were just celebrating a very important step in the resea-"

"I don't give a shit about your nerd bullshit, Connors. The boss sent me here to tell you something, so shut up and listen, like you've been doing so far, or you can go back to doing your science stuff in your garage, if you still have a career in this area." He tells me, while he grabs me by the collar of my shirt.

 forcing me to sit on one of the chairs in front of the desk.

He forcibly make me sit on one of the chairs in front of the desk and then, as if nothing had happened, he goes the other way and sits in my chair, to emphasize even more my position in the hierarchy after his threat.

"Well, from what I understand you applied corrections to the formula as you were suggested and it worked, correct?"

"Yes, it is only a first positive sign but I am confident that the road will now only be downhill. "

"And what about the incorporation of your old colleague's research? Are there any developments?"

"No... Not yet. I could not figure out how to overcome the obstacle that prevents me from recreating his formula..." I say concerned about your reaction to this news.

"I understand, it seems that for some positive result, which it does not even fully depend on you, you are relaxing..." The man says as he writes something on his phone.

"No, I'm working at full concentration, I swear. It's just that working on that research turned out to be more complicated than I thought. I told you that he had certainly managed to put up obstacles so that no one could use his research other than him."

"And you also said that you're the only one who might be able to decode and bypass them, right? I'm of the opinion that you're taking your time, maybe I could have a word with your wife and your son, remind you what happens if you don't respect our agreement, Connors..." He says with a sinister smile on his face.

"No! Please! They have nothing to do with it! I will put more effort into it and make sure to respect the agreement but please, leave my family alone. I beg you..." I say as I look down, because of the fear that he might hurt them because of me.

As a result of my reaction, he chuckles quietly for a moment and then he gets up and approaches me while he puts his cell phone in his pants pocket.

"Anyway, the boss said to continue with your reptile research, so you can overlook that other thing a little bit and focus on that for now. He told me that in two days we can start testing on humans."

"Human testing?! It's too soon! I've talked about positive signs, but it still takes a lot of more testing and research before we can try my formula to humans!" I say concerned as I lift my head up to look at him.

"Your formula? See that back then I was right to believe that you are getting ahead of yourself?" He says, then He takes me by the neck with one hand to get me up from the chair I was sitting on. "Listen to me, Connors, because this is the last time I want to talk about this. That's not your formula, this isn't your lab. You're just a nerd who broadly copied the search of your former colleague, however, your research was going nowhere. The boss gave you the solution to plug those holes in your research and this equipment to you to your friends, as well as settle your debts just as you agreed. In return, he doesn't ask you to say your opinion or anything, but to do what the fuck he says! If the boss said you start experimenting your formula on humans, you start experimenting on humans, okay?" He yells at me while he holds my neck tight.

"Y-Yes..."

"Great, I see we finally understand each other... Now, what kind of test subject do you prefer to conduct your experiments?" He asks after letting me go.

"I don't know..." I say while I rub my neck.

"If you want we can use your wife and your son, their names are Martha and Billy right?"

"No! I beg you!"

"Then you need to stop acting like a good person and make up your mind. You knew what would happen when you made a deal with the boss, you didn't have these qualms when he entrusted you with this task. In fact, it seemed like you were pretty happy with everything you got from the boss, and I certainly didn't forget your avid look when we gave you a copy of your supposed friend's research... If you really want to continue this farce that you're a decent person, why don't you experiment on yourself? You would prevent others from suffering, such as Martha and Billy..." He hisses me those words like a snake, completely destroying my crumb of morality that I held tight as soon as he reminds me of those things.

"I'll make a decision soon, I promise, please leave my family out of this mess that I've created by myself..." I say defeated.

As soon as I finish talking, out of the inside pocket of his suit jacket, he pulls out a yellow envelope and he hands it to me.

"Apply these changes to the formula, it should improve your chances of the experiment succeeding and you killing no one." He says and then he goes to the exit of the office where we are but, after he opens the door, instead of leaving immediately, he stops and asks me a question.

"Who was that boy who was with your family?" He asks.

"A student of mine I asked to be an assistant in our research, he knows nothing of the agreement with his boss..." I answer anguished.

"I see, make sure next time the kid is careful what he does, I didn't like the way he looked at me. You don't want him getting in trouble because of you getting him into this, do you?"

"No, no. I'll talk to him and make sure nothing like this ever happens again!"

"Great, I hope the next time I come you have only good news." He answers, and then he leaves.

Once I'm sure the man is gone, I'm overcome with anger and despair. I get up and drop all the papers on the desk on the ground, then I lay down in the chair, with my head bent down and my right hand touching my left shoulder.

'I should never have accepted, I should never have let myself be carried away by my greed... I just put in danger the people I care about, I was selfish and now, to protect my family, others will have to suffer. Now Peter is also in their sights. That boy has been through a lot and it's my fault if anything happens to him. I should never have asked him to work with me, however he might be my only hope in deciphering his father's research... Maybe that bastard is right, I should take my responsibilities and do on myself experiments instead of making other people suffer...'

1