Chapter 40 – A question of luck. Cleo arrives.
1.5k 7 79
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The following morning...

Tenta woke up.

"Good morning, Cornelia— Oh, right..." Tenta remembered everyone was evolving.

Looking to the side, he saw that Cornelia and Daylily were growing. Daylily started sprouting a second set of wings on her back, and Cornelia was changing even more drastically. Her blue skin was whiter, her hair was darkening, and her horns changed location, among other changes.

Today, he would usually go dungeon exploring with everyone, but for the next three days, he was alone with Roberta.

"Hah... Okay, I'll use my time for training, then." Tenta sighed and got up.

After getting dressed, he walked to Roberta's hut, where the door was open.

"Good morning, young man." Roberta greeted, smoking her usual tobacco(?).

"Good morning, Roberta." Tenta nodded and raised his hat in greeting.

"Have your fill," Roberta said, lightly waving her smoking pipe. Food then covered the table.

"Thank you!" Tenta said and started eating.

"By the way, how are you doing this? Spatial magic?" Tenta asked while eating.

"Space-Time magic. I created a timeless pocket dimension where I store all of things... It should be about the size of a city, give or take." Roberta rubbed her chin.

"... Roberta, excuse me for my impolite question... But how strong are you?" Tenta carefully asked.

"It is indeed impolite to ask a lady's secrets," Roberta smirked. "As for the answer to your question... Let's say no one dares to mess with me."

"Noted." Tenta nodded and changed the subject. "Can you teach us how to use spatial magic? It seems convenient..."

"Forget it, kid. Space magic is high-level stuff, and time magic is even more so. You are better off getting a Storage Item from the dungeon." Roberta said.

"On what floor does it start dropping?" Tenta curiously asked.

"The lowest quality ones drop on the 31st floor. However, they can barely store a cubic meter, the time isn't slowed down or stopped, they have a limited lifespan of 10-20 years, and their drop rate is abysmally low. Your average C-rank adventurer might not get one in his lifetime, and when he does, he usually sells it to the highest bidder because of how expensive it is. Little Fary and her friends got a better storage item on the 41st to 50th layers, but it could only store ten cubic meters." Roberta explained.

"Didn't they have a treasure hunter or gambler on the team?" Tenta asked, feeling it was odd. "Surely the drop rate isn't THAT bad, right?"

"As far as I remember... No." Roberta shook her head. "It is hard to level up with such classes while diving as their class and stat bonuses have more significance as you dive. It isn't like you can change your class whenever you want, and it is dangerous to be without a combat-ready class down there. And it also slows the growth of your main class, making dedicated Treasure Hunters hard to find."

"I understand," Tenta replied, not saying he could do that.

He then had a thought.

"Hey, Roberta? If I had the choice... Should I become a luck-based race?" Tenta asked.

For a long time now, he noticed how the power of luck imperceptibly influenced things, as if getting plot-armored by the universe. He couldn't help but wonder what would happen if he was luckier.

"A peculiar question. I suppose you unlocked such a direction before because you completed the Gambler and Treasure Hunter novice classes." Roberta rubbed her chin. "Luck is a complicated dimensional force related to the laws of chance, time, and chaos. As we speak, infinite possible timelines are created and destroyed. In a sense, having higher 'luck' is the same as being a magnet to better timelines... At least for yourself. Like how you would walk on the street and stumble on an unpicked gold coin. That is good luck for you but bad luck for the one who lost that coin. However, some things are impossible. Say, what is your chance of punching the planet to dust?"

"Zero," Tenta replied without hesitation.

"Correct, zero. But luck can dictate the life and death of monsters, people, villages, towns, cities, kingdoms, empires, and even gods. In a sense, luck is one of the most potent powers in the universe, and when it is strong enough, it can make the impossible possible, like allowing some young girl to kill the divine in a fluke and become a protagonist. In short, luck helps you live longer and be happier." Roberta said.

"But you still haven't answered my question." Tenta pointed out.

"That would depend on what you seek and your circumstances. Do you seek to be in the middle of battle, slaying monster after monster? Do you wish to cast awe-inspiring spells that could wipe cities or change the weather? Do you want to use your mind to manipulate and control others to do your bidding? Do you want to be a craftsman who makes the wonders of the world? Would you like to be a heavenly general commanding legions? Or perhaps a King ruling over an empire? Or even an almighty god high above? The possibilities are all out there... But luck? Luck fits all of them... And none of those. It is a supporting element, a natural talent, not the skill itself. If you are alone, it might be unsuitable and might even bring trouble to yourself. But if you have a reliable team who fills all those other roles, and you want to help them from the side as a supporting character and be content with it... Perhaps luck is the right path for you." Roberta said, blowing a cloud of smoke that formed a horseshoe. "Who knows, your luck might guide you to unexpected opportunities."

"Hah... I never thought of it like that before..." Tenta muttered.

"Right... I initially forgot about it because of all the danger we faced, but now that I think about it, I am very content as a support... And Leecher synergizes perfectly with such a mindset. Now that the party is larger and more comprehensive, why not be a lucky handyman while letting everyone else do the fighting?" That thought crossed Tenta's mind.

He still remembered his time as a Juvenile Consentacle. Back then, he much preferred letting the others take the kills. Even now, in the dungeon, he preferred that. His participation rate was low, and after the party evolved, they would become more powerful, making his participation even lower, perhaps even zero. What would be the use of his fighting classes then?

Their party now had five members, and he didn't need to fight himself to get experience... It was detrimental for everyone if he participated in fighting. He could use Parasitic Empowerment as a last resort, helping the party overcome a dangerous situation... But ideally, he should be a bench sitter!

"Thank you for your counseling. I feel that my path is clearer now." Tenta nodded in thanks.

"I only gave you information. The path is yours to choose." Roberta closed her eyes.

Tenta quickly finished his food before going outside to train. Although he mentally decided to be a support, it doesn't mean he should be defenseless.

As he left, Roberta's marble eye shined as a scene flashed before her.

"Hoh... Another troubled young girl came to my doorstep..."

.

.

.

Somewhere in the magic forest...

A masked and cloaked black figure was facing a four-meter-long green tiger with a recently healed scar on its paw, the hair regrowing, circling each other, observing one another.

Unlike when the tiger chased Tenta and Cornelia with wild abandon, this time, it looked at the figure with vigilance as if facing an equal predator. 

The masked figure calmly analyzed the tiger and its movements, calculating several steps ahead.

They continued this for half a minute before the masked figure stepped on a dry branch as if singling the beginning of a death match.

Crack*

"Rawr!" The tiger pounced at the masked figure.

Tap*

The masked figure side-stepped the tiger's ferocious attack with uncanny quickness, creating after-images, and drew a knife. Sensing the danger, the tiger moved its body at the last moment.

Slash*

The sharp dagger gave the tiger a nasty laceration on its back leg, but it was far from debilitating.

"Not bad... Your combat experience saved you from your back leg tendon from being severed." Cleo muttered.

"Grr..." The tiger bared its teeth, but it soon made a decision and fled.

After living for so long, it knew it would suffer grievous injuries even if it somehow defeated the opponent. It wasn't worth it.

"Smart choice..." Cleo mumbled, wiping the blood off her dagger before sheathing it.

She then continued moving in a direction. "Now, where should I hide..."

She traveled the whole night, avoiding patrols and the main roads, arriving at the Magic Forest to hide. She rested on a low branch, but the tiger attacked her, forcing a fight.

"Perhaps I should carve out a territory for myself until the Dyweath kingdom conquers the dukedom... Hm?" Suddenly, she stopped walking.

Cleo noticed that the area was... eerily quiet. Not even the birds or insects were present as if driven away by some force.

"Odd..." She muttered. "Does a powerful monster live here? No... I don't sense anything. What is it, then? A safe zone in the forest?"

Usually, she would avoid such a place... but she needed a safe place to hide in the long run.

"... I will take a look. Maybe there is a good place to hide inside..." Cleo muttered but raised her guard. If anything looked off, she would attack or flee without hesitation.

Taking careful and calculated steps, her nerves taut, she soon found that her vision was distorted, finding herself inside a clearing in the forest that wasn't there before.

There was an ancient tree with a dungeon portal, an old hut, two tents... And some alien-looking creature in a weird black and white attire with a style she had never seen before, practicing swordsmanship with a wooden sword against a dummy.

However, the creature resembled a detestable and rare creature said to originate from the Tentacle Monster race, the Rhthonians. It was like giving the hate-filled Tentacle Monster race intelligence, tool-using, and psychic powers, and they continued their rape-friendly tendencies, often kidnapping females from other races to procreate.

"It looks like an Adolescent, but it should be an Elite... And its level is high and likely started overleveling. How many years was it here? No... Those sword movements are too sloppy, as if by a beginner, and there is no Aura movement. Someone is raising it with high-level food..." Cleo quickly deduced. "Is it someone's pet? I should tread with caution..."

"Hm?" The Rhthonian(?) seemed to notice the presence and turned to look over, seeing a cloaked figure in a mask.

"Oh? Greetings!" The creature turned to the figure and raised his hat, giving a courteous bow. "Welcome to Roberta's haven. I am Tenta, the familiar and boyfriend of her apprentice, Cornelia."

"It can talk smoothly... And did it just say, Boyfriend?" Cleo frowned under her mask but didn't comment. "Where is your master, Rhthonian?"

"Rhthonian? Is that the name of a race?" Tenta tilted his head. "Perhaps you confused me with one of those awful tentacle monster races. I am a Chthonian, a humanoid Consentacle race." Tenta corrected. "As for your question... She is unavailable at the moment. If you wait for a few days, you can speak to her. Perhaps you would like to talk with Roberta for now?"

"Consentacle...? I've heard Father mention it..." Cleo thought.

Cleo served as Duke Nicolas's guard, so she sometimes overheard things he said aloud. Several days before the fall of Guiding City, they received a letter from Count Stindeer detailing a plan and long-term request.

 

{Consentacle? Familiar? Friendly Tentacle Monster? Beautification oil? Wanting to create a farm? Wanting to quit?} The duke frowned. {Who would carry out my revenge then...} He muttered.

{What revenge do you require, my lord? I shall carry it out.} Cleo readily stepped forward.

{It is nothing, Cleo, don't trouble yourself with it.} Count Nicolas said with a dodging look.

{... Understood.} Cleo replied and stepped back into the shadows, not questioning him.

 

Upon recalling that, she started to believe the creature's words. And it also didn't harbor any malice. However, her vigilance remained.

"Who is Roberta? And what is this place?" Cleo asked.

"Roberta is Cornelia's master and owner of this haven and is a very nice but powerful individual. You may choose to stay or leave, but you won't be able to return after you leave." Tenta patiently explained.

"And is she here?" Cleo asked.

"She is in the hut, young miss." Tenta casually pointed. "Since you arrived here, she let you in. You can talk to her inside, stay here, or leave. But I would caution you against aggressive or rude behavior... Or you would pay the price."

"... Thank you for the warning." Cleo nodded and walked to the hut.

It wasn't that she wasn't wary of entering that place... It was that she felt the existence inside was ridiculously powerful. She could see it from the creature's attitude. It held not of a hint of worry, as if it knew she couldn't harm it here. That, coupled with owning this little haven for who-knows how long with a backyard dungeon... There was no way the existence inside that hut was weaker than Iguisor, the duke's advisor. There was a good chance this Roberta was S-rank.

If such an existence wished to crush her... this Roberta could do it no matter what she did. It was better to talk to her first.

Upon entering the hut, she saw the ugliest hag she had ever seen in her life sitting on a reclining chair, smoking something from a pipe.

"Hehehe... Hello, little Cleo. I am Roberta, owner of this haven. Why don't you take that mask off and reveal your pretty little face and have a seat? Perhaps some tea and cookies?" The hag's marble eye shined, and Cleo felt herself naked before the hag.

"An analyzing artifact...! And a top-tier one at that..." Cleo shuddered and removed her mask as told, revealing her beautiful face, part of the reason she wore a mask. "Thank you for the offer, but I prefer to stand." She politely declined.

"As expected of a Shadow Guard, you are vigilant... But it is misplaced here." Roberta shook her head. "When faced with overwhelming power, vigilance is redundant since nothing you do would change the outcome. You should know that. You can relax your guard and sit... Or do you hate sitting that much?"

"... Fine. I'll sit." Cleo relented and sat on an opposite chair.

"Good. Tea and snacks? Their top-notch, I assure you." Roberta offered.

"I humbly decline—" Cleo wanted to reject it, but just then...

Growl*

"..." Cleo blushed. She hasn't eaten since yesterday.

"Hehehe! Perhaps you need a full breakfast instead?" Roberta smirked, waving her pipe to the dinner table, her monstrous-looking food on the table.

"... Is she going to torture me to death?" Cleo felt like crying.

79