Chapter 33 – Getting Drafted Pt 1
192 8 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I woke up that morning feeling refreshed, which was strange because I thought I wouldn't get much sleep last night. Phildina was using me as a hug pillow, which was great, but as a former guy, I didn't know what to do with my hands. I was not used to such situations, you know? But somehow, amidst all that excitement, I managed to get a good night's rest. I must have been really tired...

Phildina had already wandered off to who knows where, so I took the opportunity to start exploring the mansion that morning. The maids were already at work, cleaning the hallways and dusting the paintings, so I greeted them as I embarked on my journey to... nowhere in particular. Actually, maybe I kinda, probably, definitely got lost. How big is this place?!

As I stood there contemplating my foolish decision, a maid approached me and asked, "Would you like me to guide you to the bathing area?" 

"Yes, please!" I jumped at the lifeline she threw my way and followed her until I arrived at a majestic-looking hot spring area. The maid quietly excused herself, leaving me slack-jawed at the door. One step led to another and before I knew it, I was staring at my reflection on the surface of the water. I took off my boots and dipped my right toe into the water. It's just the right temperature! I thought to myself before scanning the area for peeping Toms. Well, none of them struck me as perverts, and we're all women at the end of the day, right? I can't believe I just thought that. These and other such useless thoughts passed through my mind as I removed my clothes mechanically.

It still felt so weird to me. Was this really my body? I can't even remember how many times I asked myself that. I had gotten so used to seeing myself in a particular way that having everything flipped on its head like this was jarring. Even the simple act of looking at my reflection in the water was uncomfortable, but I'd get lost in an existential crisis if I chose to dwell on it for too long. Hence, I abandoned that train of thought.

"Haa," I probably sounded like an old man as I entered the hot spring. What bliss! I couldn't believe Phildina got to enjoy this every day. This is heavenly! Rivers had been my go-to option ever since I came here, so being able to enjoy a hot bath like this truly felt like a blessing to me. Maybe I should buy a mansion, I thought to myself half-jokingly. I truly had a lot of things on my mind, but I felt all my concerns melt away at that moment as I closed my eyes.

"Daphne, Daphne! Daphne!!"

"Huh? What?" I must have lost track of the time. I looked behind me to see Phildina frowning with her arms crossed. She's cute even when she's angry, I thought to myself secretly.

"I've been looking for you everywhere!" She began in an exasperated tone.

"If your mansion weren't so large, you wouldn't have such a hard time," I quipped with a smile. 

"Look, Daphne, we don't have time for this!" She said, her expression turning frantic, but I didn't get what all the hurry was about. I was also in a very good mood, so I asked,

"Why not? I wouldn't mind it if you joined me," I was on my A-game that morning, casually inviting her to bathe with me, but as luck would have it, my timing was atrocious.

"The kingdom is drafting adventurers! Kimmel and the others are heading there as we speak!" It was like the fog in my mind cleared that instant. I was dressed before I knew it, running through the hallways with Phildina by my side to the mansion garden. There, we would find Timothy and take off to meet them. 

"How are they drafting? Party by party?"

"Yes," Phildina answered with a troubled look on her face. I was relieved to hear that but also quite worried. If we didn't arrive on time, we could end up with a real mess on our hands. Fighting in a war was one thing, but entrusting my life into the hands of strangers was a thought I didn't even want to entertain. 

We got to the garden and found Timothy grazing on the garden plants without a care in the world. Phildina and I hopped onto its back, and Timothy spread its wings. I hope we make it in time, was all I could think as we took off at maximum speed. 

7