Chapter 40 – Grass
6 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

It was terrifying, but Ercole’s raw magic blast still fascinated Dyo. It was another way he could use magic that was maybe a little quicker than his… Other methods…

“How did you do that!? Can you tell me how to do it?”

Ercole’s scowl faded a little as he asked that as a little of his usual self returned. “I’ll tell you once we’re not getting shot by crossbows!”

“Come on! It’s like when I lost control of it when trying to make the light, but on purpose, isn’t it!?”

A small chuckle escaped his lips, “Something along those lines—”

“Halt!”

A group of Circuitusati rushed out to block the bridge, shields raised but spears lowered. A lot more Circuitusati than guards on the other side.

“What were you doing over there!” One cried out, possibly their unit leader given the plumes on his helm, “We don’t want—”

Ercole yanked back on the reins of his horse, stopping just short of the men with a look of fury back on his face. “Look at him! He’s got horns, purple eyes and no goat legs he’s a demigod of one of your pantheon and those fuckers wanted to kill him! Now let us gods damned past!” As he spoke his arms were waving furiously between Dyo, the rest of the group, and the rapidly reorganising Imperial troops on the other side of the bridge.

The Circuitusati looked between each other and then the assembled group in front of them. “Do you expect us to believe he’s a—"

Dyo’s teeth gritted together. “Do you dare insult a son of Calsynicus!?” He demanded, a faint glow starting to emanate from his eyes as the urge to just force them to let them pass grew in the back of his head.

The lead man swallowed as realisation dawned. “I’m sorry sire! Come past! Everyone make way!”

He pushed his comrades out of the way as he took a wooden whistle hanging around his neck and gave four short blows. With that the men parted, allowing them all to pass.

A feeling of relief passed over Dyo as his horse’s hooves impacted Emoran soil. Finally, he was back, back to civilisation where he could finally be free.

He turned round to check on everyone else, only to see a horse with the Ork they’d just met dashing away without so much as a word to them. Dyo might have, you know, wanted to ask him a few questions since they didn’t talk at all. Ah well… Though he did seem to be going down the same road as they’d be going…

Hreysti however seemed a little more settled by his disappearance. The tension in his shoulders was gone and his gaze wasn’t locked onto their temporary companion. Dyo got the paranoia, but not everyone was out to get them. Maybe it was from his years in his clan, maybe it was from his time travelling from the north to the south.

He decided to put that line of thought away as he placed a hand on their shoulder, gripping onto it tight.

But as he was about to speak, the lead Circuitusati cleared his throat as he now stood by the side of Dyo’s horse. He’d taken off his plumed kettle helm and was holding it in his hands by his chest, their grey eyes lowered.

“I’m extremely sorry sire, I hope that you and your father won’t view me or my family badly for the grievous offence I have caused… Please, tell me if there is anything I can do to atone!”

Dyo couldn’t help but feel a slight pang of guilt as he looked at the grovelling guard. He didn’t quite have a direct line to his father to make sure he wouldn’t do anything, but, as he stroked his horns, he did come up with something he could get…

“Does this bridge have a toll on it?”

The guard looked up, “Uh- There is for large groups and merchants.”

“Would we be made to pay it?”

“Of course not! N-normally you and your followers would but the fee can easily be waivered for you! But surely, you’d need more to—”

“That’ll be all right. Though, I’d say it’d still be good to pray…”

The Circuitusati nodded before giving a low bow and taking his leave. Hopefully, his father didn’t see fit to punish him. Hopefully.

 


 

The way station was only just over the crest of the hill which hosted the small fort that the Circuitusati occupied. It was made up of a small collection of buildings surrounded by a wooden fence including a stable, a watchtower and guard post, a wellhouse, and an inn. A proper inn with stone foundations and sturdy walls coated in white plaster. It even had ochre-coloured roof tiles! Oh, how that architecture was a sight for sore eyes…

The inside was an even better comfort, though certainly humbler than the ones they’d been to in cities. Almost everything was contained on the ground floor which took up most of the building and there were no glass windows to speak of, just shutters.

But that was not a problem at all to Dyonaigus, it made it feel like home.

So, by the low burning fire in the hearth, the five of them sat as the sun started to lower below the hills and the sky started to slowly turn a soft orange. In one corner a travelling musician was gently playing his flute, and in the other, a small group of fellow travellers were enjoying a meal. A simple, comforting atmosphere.

He leaned back a little and looked over at Ercole. The noble had his nose buried in his leather-bound notebook. He’d also kept his leather travelling shirt on but untied the first few loops, while the wooden goblet of wine by him had barely been touched.

“Is the wine not to your tastes? I suppose it’s a little sour, but I think the honey has covered it up well.”

Ercole looked up for a moment and glanced over to his wine with eyes that had lost their usual energy behind them. “I don’t think I’ve tasted it yet, but thanks for the warning.”

Dyo’s eyes narrowed, “I think you should have some, it’ll do you good.”

The edges of Ercole’s mouth twitched into a small smile that spread to his eyes as he grabbed the cup. “I suppose if the son of a wine god tells you to drink it’d be inauspicious to refuse his advice.”

He took a small sip from it, swirling the wine around his mouth as a small frown passed onto his face. “I think saying the honey covers the rather… Unsatisfactory taste of the wine itself is stretching the truth a little.”

Dyo giggled knocking his cup against Ercole’s, “I was trying to be kind to the barkeep, she did give it to us for free.”

“And if this is what they give to honoured guests I dread to think what her regular patrons get. Say, can’t you fix the quality of this somehow?”

“Oh, if I wanted to, yes…” He said lazily, his bright purple eyes watching the red wine swirl around in his cup. “But that’s only for those who ask nicely.”

Shani’s ears perked up, “Well then, great demigod Dyonaigus, may I give my solum prayers to you, so you freshen up this gods fucking awful wine?” She asked, pushing her glass towards him.

He reached over to the glass and smiled, skimming his finger across the wine as it turned a slightly darker and richer colour. She then took the glass from him and took a cautious sip, then another, much deeper one.

“You know,” She mumbled, “If you were in a mercenary company I’d think you’d have a lot of people willing to die for you.”

Ercole let out a chuckle, “Well then if you would—”

Dyo coughed and raised a hand with his smile turning to a broad smirk. “Now, now, ask properly, you’re a mortal before a demigod’s feet. You should be using all your noble charm now.”

“Ah, charm then?” He wrapped his fingers on the table as he became made and an act of being engrossed in thought till a large smile came across his face. “Holy Dyonaigus, a demigod of unparalleled beauty whose perfect body, delicate face, and entrancing eyes leaves all within his snare and is as kind, generous and gentle as one could wish. May you bless my wine with your gifts if you believe I am worthy of it.”

With a flourish, Ercole took a now blushing Dyo’s hand as he pushed his goblet towards him. Shani looked to be teetering between falling into a fit of laughter or anger, while Agrippa was left completely stunned and a little confused. Hreysti however, was certainly not impressed.

Dyo swallowed, his heart thumping in his chest as he looked between Ercole’s pleading eyes and his exposed chest. To be honest with himself he wasn’t quite sure if he could think properly but still, he reached out a hand and blessed the wine.

“Thank you, great lord.” Ercole chuckled as he slowly drew back his hand from Dyo and took a sip of his wine, reaching to his shirt at the same time and spreading it a little wider open with a wink.

Dyo couldn’t deny the entire thing was as embarrassing as it was- He didn’t want to admit that part but at least he did what he intended! Ercole was back to his usual self and tomorrow, it would be on to the first Emoran city he had seen in weeks.

Thank you to my Patreons Mirron and Zero! You have given me some excellent ideas others may have to suffer through, muah ha ha!

0