Chapter 42 – Ave Guards
1 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Announcement
Hello! The series has now finally caught up to where it's at on Royal Road! So the chapter releases will now slow down but you can still get ahead on the Patreon linked bellow. Thank you for reading and see you at the next chapter or on Patreon!

Dyo was starting to very quickly realise what had made this city stand the test of time.

And that was how fucking exhausting it was to climb up to it.

He had thought the walk up from the fields to the crest where his village sat was hard long ago, but this was worse. Any army climbing up here would probably be too tired to fight with any sort of vigour after this, which was the point. And he, like those soldiers was having to do it on foot so as not to tire the horses too heavily by adding his weight to the packs.

Still, it wasn’t that bad with his demigod physique, but it was annoying and a little uncomfortable, not helped by the light pattering of rain that had started to shower down. At least it looked like it was just a momentary one from a passing cloud.

As they reached the top, however, Dyo swore he heard the sound of yelling. Not the usual ambient yelling of bargaining merchants and such that he was used to from cities but instead it was something closer. That and the tone of one of the voices seemed a lot closer to Ercole than a merchant. Shani seemed to notice it too, a faint smirk spreading across her face as she looked to be waiting in anticipation as they finally got to the city gates.

The source of the shouting then became rather apparent. A group of Circustati were standing with scutum shields and spears raised at the gate. They in turn were facing off against a group of what seemed to be Armatae, troops fully clad in mail armour with enclosed helms, kite shields and swords, guarding a single proud man.

He stood tall and was dressed in rich clothes whose green and red matched the Armatae’s tabards. His mat black hair cascaded down to his shoulders, framing his striking grey eyes and pale face.

As they approached a Circustati with feathery plumes on his helm, the captain of the group, sighed. “You’re holding people up now, scram! I’m not disobeying the orders of the mayor.”

Even from where he was standing Dyo could hear the nobleman’s teeth grind as he glared at the captain, “And you are speaking to a citizen of The Republic and to a member of her family! You simply cannot deny me access to the city! There is no legal basis for Necia to do this!”

“And we have been over this sir, my orders are my orders and I will stand by them, be you an Opsius or not!”

“Yet that still doesn’t dismiss the legal issues captain! According to the ancient laws of this province, a Mayor cannot ban a fellow citizen from the city without-“

“What’s going on good sirs?” Ercole called out, cutting the two off as he walked towards the confrontation completely at ease.

The two groups flicked around, finally paying full attention to the newcomers and looking between them, only to stop at the sight of Dyo’s horns. They looked at them, then his eyes, then down to his rather un satyr-like legs, then back up again.

A dawning realisation rose across their faces.

“Fair…” The noble swallowed, “Travellers, what brings you to Mijerno and who is this friend with the horns?”

Dyo stepped forward before Ercole could speak. “I am Dyonaigus Calsyniacus and we’re just going to be staying here for a few days.”

The guard captain’s eyes widened. “Calsyniacus… As in—”

Dyo grabbed a small portion of his magic and forced it through his fingertips. A small arc of the shifting blinding energy followed with a howling crackle. “Yes, that Calsyniacus.”

The sudden change in the atmosphere as both the guards’ and noble’s faces turned white was almost intoxicatingly satisfying as Dyo fought the urge to smile.

“You can go right in sires!” The captain sputtered, pushing the other guards to the side in the rush to clear the gate. “I pray that you and the lord of the vine are not displeased at all by the incident.”

Dyo and the others move to walk through but Ercole raised a hand. “Neither of you has answered my question and I’m very interested to hear the answer. After all, if I heard correctly you are a member of the Opsius family. As in the Opisus family of the great Vibius Opsius Ennius?”

The noble seemed to gain his composure back at that, puffing up his chest and standing tall once again. “The exact same. However, the Ennius branch has decayed since its zenith of defending the republic against the barbarian hordes. Now they have grown corrupt and hide behind their gods damned lackeys refusing to talk to anyone from my branch...”

The glare the man struck at the guards with his final line looked like it could burn through the skin, and it certainly rattled them.

“As in these days, the red corvid of the Nepotianus branch remains the only ones who have stuck with the family creed.”

Ercole let out a single chuckle. “And are you by any chance it’s head?”

“Indeed I am. My name is Drusus Opisus Nepotianus, and yours is?”

He smiled, giving a quick bow of the head, “Ercole de Astoria, third son of the Duke of Namisure in Gaulik, a pleasure to make your acquaintance.”

“No need to state where the province is, I am well aware of where it is. A few years ago, I took a tour of the states to the west and I spent some time in Gaulik.”

“Oh, well what a pleasant surprise!”

Dyo’s and Agrippa’s eyebrows were furrowed in confusion as they looked on at Ercole’s surprise chat. Honestly, Dyo was in half the mind to just drag him through the gate, but he could be going somewhere with this. That or puffing his own ego…

“Yes, it was pleasant and for a learned and cultured man like myself, it was rather educational as well. Really it was the immaterial that I brought back as souvenirs.”

Ercole raised an eyebrow, “Oh? It’s a surprise to meet a fellow intellectual when travelling. Pray tell, what were those Immaterial goods.”

Drusus smirked and said, “A bit of the linguistic arts.” In what registered in Dyo’s mind as a foreign language.

Ercole’s smile then turned into an absolute beam, “Üe! O extranger magnoe qui puquir męsu Langua!”

A palpable disappointment filled the air as Drusus looked at Ercole with blank eyes. But the noble recovered quickly, “I didn’t spend all too long there and while the language may be intriguing to me, I haven’t found it as refined as old Emoran. No offense.”

“Ńussos darŏeu…” None taken he replied in a strained voice before continuing in Emoran, “And anyway, I and my fellow travellers must get going to find our lodgings. I wish you luck with your negotiations with our guard here though.”

With that, he had his arm around Agrippa’s shoulder and his horse’s reins in the other hand as he briskly walked to the gate.

“What was that for!?” Agrippa hissed, shrugging Ercole’s arm off.

“Well, I thought it would be enlightening to meet a living relative of Vibius Opsius Ennius, but alas, it seems like this part of his bloodline has just created nought but a pompous fool....”

Shani sniffed, “Encountered one too many of his type?”

“Yes… You?”

“Yes.” She groaned.

“Well, you’ll find plenty more on this continent.”

“May the gods and ibis save me…”

Ercole simply murmured in agreement as the five of them passed the guards and into the city proper.

Gods it was good to be met by the sight of popinaes and plaster-clad apartments, even if Dyo had only briefly seen them in Pygus. It was just nice to be met with the sight of it and the constant chatter of Emoran all around after so long.

He felt a pat against his shoulder and whipped around to meet the guard captain, head bowed.

“If I may interrupt you for just a moment son of Calsyniacus, may I suggest an inn to you?”

Dyo’s eyes flashed for a moment as he felt a little caught off guard, but then he settled. “Of course!”

“The Vine and Olive are owned by a follower of the cult, and they offer good rooms. That and some of the best wines in the city. I’d bet once they see you, they’ll give you and your friends a good price for it all!”

And yet again the followers come to the rescue. “Thank you, we’ll have a look at them. Which uh- part of the city are they?”

“Oh!” The guard jumped, his eyes widening, “I’m sorry I forgot! They’re down this road to the east. You should spot their sign as you walk along.”

“It’s not a problem at all and I- uh-“ Dyo looked over past the guards to the still impetuous Drusus, “I wish you luck with him.”

The captain saluted, “Pleasure to be of service to you!”

“Well…” Ercole muttered, “I didn’t expect us to get a surprise inn recommendation from him.”

Thank you to my Patreons Mirron and Zero! They pay me to bring you even more over-the-top bits of worldbuilding like an (attempted) conlang and pompous nobles arguing with demigod disaster queers. You can join them for various extras like early chapters, extra worldbuilding documents like an in-progress timeline, map and monster manual, a full list of the art I've commissioned for the series, Q&As, polls, Epubs of previous arcs and more! Join them through the link in the donation tab below and on the fiction page or through the link here!

0