Chapter Three: The Bet
0 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Max

The quiz was today and I was more than ready for it. It didn't take me long to memorize the correct answers to the questions. I was easily going to get an A. I walked into the class and spotted Carter with a worried look on is face.

"Are you good man? Did you study for the quiz?" Carter asked.

"Don't be such a worrier, I got this," I assured him.

"He's got this." I hear my girlfriend Lindsey say. She came up to me and rubbed my shoulders. "He's going to ace this test and win us the game next week."

"You better ace it, Max. We can't have Xander be the quarterback."

"Ya, really think ya got this huh?" Xander said with a strange grin on his face, "Ha, lets see bout that."

I rolled my eyes at Xander being strange and, well, Xander.

Sally and her friend Charlie walked in the classroom. And of course she had to look at me with the goofy little look of hers. Lindsey smirked and whispered in my ear, "Wanna see something funny?"

When Sally found a seat and was about to sit down. But Lindsey kicked the chair away from underneath her and Sally fell hard on the floor. We laughed, well except Carter, as Sally sat there trying to process what just happened to her. "You got to be smarter than the chair!" Lindsey said 

"That was really rude! Now say sorry!" Charlie demanded.

"Oh all right, I am so sorry you had to experience gravity the hard way." 

"You you nasty cow-

"Charlie," Sally said pulling her friend back from us, "It's fine." Charlie gave us on last glare and flipped us off.

When I saw Mr. Hoover enter the room, everyone scrambled to their seats. "Morning, class I hope you all prepared yourselves for this quiz. I expect each one of you to get a grade no lower than a C. Now, I would like you all to hand your phones over to me. Come on give them to me," Mr. Hoover said holding a basket as he walked up to each student, "I don't want distractions or cheating."

I handed my phone over to my teacher and started to work on my quiz. Yeah 'work' I smile to myself knowing I would get an A on it. 'Answer one is thirty-five, answer two is ninety- eight.' I kept at it. I also made sure to get some answers wrong, so no suspicion falls on me.

As I was writing down my answers, Xander who was directly behind me, was snickering. Which was a little distraction.

"Mr. Washington, is there something here that is so comical that would be making you giggle like gossiping girls?" Mr. Hoover stood over him with a stern look on his face.

"No, sir no."

"Then I suggest you get back to work."

"Yes, sir." 

When Xander finally shut his mouth and heard him noisily scribble down the problems on the paper. I turned around and he gave me a funny look. I shook my head and got back to my work. It was a little bit before someone finally finished their assignment.

"Done, Mr. Hoover," Sally said standing up handing the teacher her paper.

"Good work Sally, the first person done as always."

I was done of course, but pretended to keep on working since I was always the last person to hand in their work. More and more students finished the quiz. 

"Woohoo! Complete!" 

"Mr. Washington, please quiet down, we are in a classroom not at a concert."

When Xander got up to hand his paper to Mr. Hoover. He passed by my and whispered "Meet me by my locker, I have something for ya."

I ignored him and wrote down the last answer to the question. I got up and handed the teacher my work.

"Mr. Turner I am quite impressed that you actually finished the quiz on time. Remember you need a B in order to pass. But good work."

The bell rung to dismiss us from the hour of torture. I walked out of the door I was stopped by a redhead girl. 'Crap'

"M-Max, hi, I-I was just wondering if after practice you would like me to help you on your assignment so that you may catch up."

'Ugh I forgot about that.' "Sure whatever works for you." 'Well at least I can get her to do it all for me.'

I remembered that Xander wanted to give me something at his locker. 'What the heck does he want?' So I reluctantly walked my way to his locker. 

"Oh Max, my man. I gotta talk with you." Xander had a gleeful smile plastered on his face and he rubbed his hands together in satisfaction. 'What could this be now? Ugh.'

"What now Xander?" I asked with annoyance. 

"I-I- j-just HAHA!" Xander hyena like laugh penetrated throughout the hallway, making several people look at us as they walked by.

"Xander can you please relax and tell me what you need."

Xander snorted and collected himself. "Saw Window Faced Nicholas print out something and it turned out to be the answers to the quiz. I was curious on why he would need the results since that kid is very smart..."

'Oh crap!'

"But then I got it, it wasn't for him. it must be for someone who really needs it. Someone like you. So whatcha gonna do man? What's your excuse now?" He said all smugly.

"I... uh...You can't assume stuff like that!"

"I didn't cause he told me it was for ya."

'That freakin tattletale dweeb!' I gritted my teeth in frustration.

"Ha, I knew it haha!"

"Xander please," I shushed him.

"Xander please," he mocked.

"Look I will give you a hundred dollars not to tell."

"I don't wantcha money."

"Then what could I do?"

Xander looked like he was in deep though.

"What is it?"

His face lighted up as if he had a great idea. He laughed so hard. Those who past by looked at us.

"Please Xander you won't tell." I pleaded.

"Now, I won't tell that ya cheated under one condition," Xander said as his lips turned into a cunning smile.

"Ok anything!" I said.

"Ya have to date the most unpopular girl at school for the rest of the school year."

"The rest of the school year! You got to be kidding. This like six months! And besides have a girlfriend."

"Whatcha gonna do? Ya gotta choose man." An even bigger evil smile forming on his face.

Both will ruin my reputation. If I get a zero on the quiz, I won't be able to play football and may lose out on a scholarship. But if I date an unpopular girl, rumors will spread, and I will look bad. My relationship with my girlfriend will be ruined. I thought for a bit. Which one will be less bad.

"Oh, ok fine I will date an unpopular girl," I said in a huff.

"Ok, shake on it man," he said, and we shook hands.

"Alright now, what girl?" I asked miserably.

"Her," he said pointing at the girl with red curly hair and glasses.

The girl was Sally McDonaldson. Ugh not her. I was already forced to do work with her. Why, why, why! I going to be the biggest joke of the school. There is no way she will be my girlfriend.

"Sally! You got to be kidding!" I protested.

"We made a bet and shook on it, unless ya want me to tell-

"Alright alright! Ugh this is so going to ruin me!" I gave in.

"Now go up to her man."

"What? Now?!"

"Or I can go to the principal's office...."

Ugh he must be enjoying seeing me miserable.

"Fine what should I say?"

"Hey, I am not the expert on girls. Ya on ya own my man." He said patting my shoulder. He quickly scampered away out of sight.

That little rat. I mutter under my breath on how ridiculous this situation is. She was walking down the hallway looking down at the ground instead of where she was going. I took the opportunity and purposely run into her.

"I am so sorry," I said in the most insincere voice.

"It-it it's ok," she said with her freckled face blushing a bright red.

"Let me help you pick up your books." Ugh this is killing me!

I handed her books, and she blushed a darker shade of red. Her face looked like a tomato. I clenched my teeth knowing I will have to be with this dweeb for the rest of the school year. It is just six more month. Six months of misery. But it is going to test my acting skills. Going to pretend to like her and be nice. If I succeed, I definitely should get an Oscar.

"Here let me walk you to your next class," I said with the fakest smile.

"T-thank you."

Ugh her stutter annoys the freakin crap out of me.

"So, Sally I was wondering could we hang out, more than by studying together?" When I said those works I wanted to kick myself.

"Y-you want to hang out more?" Sally's face brightened and she gave that unattractive grin.

"Yes and go out and stuff." 'This is going to ruin me'

"You really to go out with me? What about Lindsey?"

"She and I aren't dating. The thing is I always liked you, ever since i say you in freshman year. I was too embarrassed to confess to you but now I finally found the courage to tell you." 'Remember this is for football, this is for football.'

"Really, thats great! Its the same for me. I had a crush on you since freshman year too! I never knew you liked me!

"I do, I always had. After studying do you want to you knew, hang out more?" 

"Yeah-yes of course, sure!"

"Then see you after school." I said quickly walking away from her as fast as I could. 'Crap crap crapity crap! This is the most ridiculous thing I have ever agreed to. This isn't a one time thing, I have to do this for the rest of the school year! This is so going to ruin me.'

"Ok Max, All of this is going to be worth it. You will get to keep playing football and maybe get the scholarship," I said to myself quietly, "You just have five months, three weeks, and four days left. Yippee!"

____________________________________________

The bet has started! How do you think this will go? Isn't Xander insufferable?! LOL! Feel free to give feedback in the comments. Thank u all so much. Updates will be weekly. About 1-2 chapters a week.

0