8 Messing Around
421 3 27
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The sun hangs high in the sky, casting small shadows across the training grounds. Asuma Sarutobi, a Genin with a deceptively lazy demeanor, crouches behind a dense thicket of bushes. His tall frame is partially concealed, but his fair olive skin stands out in the dappled sunlight.

Asuma peers through the leaves, keeping an eye on his teammates who are searching for him. He wears a white jacket with a dark green collar, the fabric rustling softly as he shifts his weight. The chainmail shirt beneath it glints occasionally, hinting at the hidden strength beneath his seemingly casual exterior.

His voice, low and nonchalant, cuts through the quiet rustle of leaves. "What a drag... I can't believe they actually expect us to train on a day like this. Look at the heat… And the sun… ugh… Relaxing is training too…"

A twig snaps nearby, prompting Asuma to freeze. He glances over his shoulder, making sure he remains hidden. His eyes narrow slightly, but there's a subtle amusement in them as if he finds the entire situation mildly amusing.

The lazy drawl returns as he mutters to himself, "Hiding is so much easier than all this training nonsense. Why put in effort when you can just... not?" He smirks, a brief glimmer of mischief in his eyes.

A distant voice calls out from the training ground, "Asuma! Where are you?"

Asuma rolls his eyes and mutters, "Troublesome..." He contemplates staying hidden a little longer, relishing in the art of evasion. The white jacket, a stark contrast to the foliage, hides him well, especially with how bright the sun is.

As a member of the Sarutobi Clan, and the only son of the Third Hokage, there are kinds of certain expectations other people hurl at him— that he will be the next Hokage or something, but Asuma strongly denies such motions. If it is Asuma, he prefers not to become the Hokage for he knows that it is just an annoyance. For example, his father was past his 40s already when he finally succeeded in impregnating his wife, that’s crazy!

"No thanks," he mumbles to himself, dismissing the notion with a knowing nod. Becoming Hokage is not a destiny he yearns for; in fact, he actively rejects it. For Asuma, his ideal life is one without the weight of the village's future on his shoulders. This is far more appealing.

Asuma moves through the trees with the grace of a seasoned shinobi, the branches serve as a silent path for his agile strides. The forest echoes with the rustle of leaves as he hears familiar voices calling out to him.

"Asuma! Hey, where are you, man?" Raido's voice cuts through the air, tinged with a mix of concern and exasperation.

Kurenai joins in, her voice carrying a note of annoyance, "Don't make us come looking for you, Asuma!"

He snickers to himself, reveling in the subtle rebellion that has become his recent trademark. Though he often presents a mature front, there's a mischievous, almost childish streak that surfaces from time to time. The thrill of evading his teammates adds an extra layer of amusement to the game.

This is training! Asuma convinces himself.

If Kurenai and Raido don’t find him, then that means they need more training… meaning more hide-and-seek!

Jumping effortlessly from one tree to another, Asuma feels the wind tousle his hair as he distances himself from Raido and Kurenai. The voices grow faint, blending with the rustling leaves and the distant sounds of the forest.

"Come on, Asuma! We don't have time for this," Raido's voice drifts, sounding a bit more frustrated.

Asuma grins, savoring the freedom of the moment. However, he knows better than to rely too heavily on luck. His thoughts shift to Kurenai, a competent Sensory Type Ninja who can track even the subtlest movements.

"Better not push my luck too far," he mutters to himself, acknowledging the potential threat to his little escapade. Thus, he increases his pace. With a final leap, he disappears into the foliage, leaving behind only the fading echoes of his teammates' voices on the breeze.

Asuma navigates through the dense foliage, searching for the perfect hiding spot when a peculiar sight catches his attention. In a small clearing, a kid lies face-down in the dirt, seemingly oblivious to the world. Curiosity getting the better of him, Asuma lands lightly on the ground, surveying the scene.

Glancing around, he recognizes the area seems to be one of the village's training grounds, though it looks somewhat neglected. "Shoddy place for training," he comments under his breath, eyeing the overgrown grass and scattered leaves.

His attention shifts to the prone figure, and Asuma raises an eyebrow. Without hesitation, he crouches down and taps the kid's shoulder. "Hey, kid, you okay?" he asks, his tone a mix of concern and amusement.

The kid stirs, turning his head slightly, revealing familiar messy black hair. Asuma's eyes widen in recognition. "Obito? What are you doing here?"

The prone figure mumbles in response, "Five more minutes, grandma..."

Asuma chuckles, realizing the kid is none other than Obito Uchiha. "Who is your grandma? Come on, Obito. Wake up. This is no place for a nap," he calls, shaking his head.

Obito groans, his voice muffled by the dirt. "Just a few more minutes, grandma. I'm resting."

Asuma leans back, scratching his head. "Resting, huh? In the dirt? You've got some strange habits, kid."

Obito's response is a sleepy mumble, "It's comfy... and you are the kid."

Asuma continues to survey the training ground, his gaze sweeping over the neglected area. He deduces that Obito must have been training here tirelessly, perhaps to the point of exhaustion. A hint of pity creeps into Asuma's expression as he contemplates the toll it must have taken on the young Uchiha.

As if on cue, Obito stirs, shaking off the remnants of sleep and pushing himself up from the ground. Asuma watches as Obito rubs his eyes, looking around in mild confusion before locking eyes with Asuma.

Obito tilts his head, squinting up at the sky. "What time is it?" he asks, his voice carrying a hint of weariness.

Asuma checks the time, glancing at the position of the sun. "It's 1 o'clock past noon," he replies casually.

Obito's eyes widen in sudden realization, and a look of panic washes over his face. "1 o'clock?! I'm late!" he exclaims, shooting up to his feet.

Asuma raises an eyebrow at Obito's sudden outburst. "Late for what?" he asks, his curiosity piqued.

Obito frantically gathers his things, his movements are rushed. "Sensei's going to kill me! We were supposed to meet for a mission at noon! Why didn't anyone wake me up?!"

Asuma smirks, enjoying the spectacle. "Well, you did choose to take a dirt nap in the middle of a training ground. Not the most conventional wake-up call, I suppose. Moreover, maybe you got it mixed up… Chunin Exams are coming up, and from what I heard, Team Minato is a seeded team… So what mission?"

Obito shoots him a glare as he scrambles to his feet, hastily brushing off dirt from his clothes. "Uuuhh… That’s just sleeptalking… gosh… my dreams are so vivid it is annoying… Yeah, Chunin Exams are coming up. I remember now."

Asuma decides to tag along with Obito, finding the Uchiha's frantic reaction rather entertaining. The pair make their way to Obito's house, and as they approach, Asuma notices the stern expression on Obito's grandmother's face from a distance.

Obito opens the door, bracing himself for what's to come. "Hey, Grandma, I'm—"

But before he can finish, his grandmother interrupts with a stern scolding. "Obito Uchiha! Do you have any idea how worried I was? You were supposed to be back hours ago!"

Obito mumbles an apology, and his grandmother's scolding transforms into a fuss of concern. "Look at you! You're covered in dirt, and you've probably skipped meals again. Honestly, what am I going to do with you?"

Asuma smirks, amused by the interaction between Obito and his grandmother. The older woman then turns her attention to Asuma, giving him a scrutinizing look. "And who might you be?"

Asuma offers a casual nod, "Asuma Sarutobi, oba-san. Thought I'd drop by and make sure Obito doesn’t cause trouble. I saw him sprawled on the Training Ground, sleeping."

“Ugh…” Obito avoids his grandma’s eye-contact.

Obito's grandmother softens a bit, "Well, thank you for looking out for my wayward grandson. Why don't you stay and have lunch with us?"

Asuma's stomach rumbles audibly, betraying his hunger. "I wouldn't say no to that," he replies with a grin.

Seated around the table, Asuma watches as Obito devours his lunch with a level of enthusiasm that borders on primal. The Uchiha attacks his food like a ravenous beast, prompting a disapproving glance from his grandmother.

"Obito, slow down! You're not in a feeding frenzy!" she scolds, but Obito continues to munch away, seemingly unfazed.

Asuma, in contrast, maintains a moderate pace, savoring each bite. The old lady glances at him with a nod of approval, appreciating his more refined table manners.

As the trio enjoys their meal, the plates gradually empty, and Asuma, staying true to his education, efficiently and masterfully devoured his portion without looking disgraceful. Obito, however, finishes first, abruptly pushing his chair back and darting towards the door.

"Obito! Where do you think you're going?" his grandmother calls after him, her tone a mix of worry and annoyance.

Asuma stands up, patting his stomach with a satisfied grin. "Don't worry, ma'am. I'll make sure he doesn't get into too much trouble. He's in good hands."

The old lady looks at Asuma, her eyes softening. "Oh, thank you, dear. He's a handful, that one."

As he heads towards the door, Asuma pauses, a mischievous glint in his eye. "Oh, almost forgot something," he says, turning back to the table. He swiftly grabs the remaining bits of food on Obito's plate and his own, savoring the excuse. "Can't let this go to waste, right?"

With that, Asuma heads out, his stomach now content. The old lady watches him with a bemused expression, appreciating the unexpected, yet good-natured, fella. Obito’s grandma comments, “Strange kid, and to think he is actually Hiruzen-san’s kid.”

Asuma easily traces Obito's path as the Uchiha hops from one rooftop to another. The telltale signs of a reckless runner on the roofs make it almost effortless for Asuma to follow. With a powerful leap, he lands beside Obito, keeping pace effortlessly.

"What's the rush, Obito?" Asuma asks, glancing at the determined expression on the young ninja's face.

Obito looks at Asuma, his eyes gleaming with determination. "I'm gonna kick Kakashi's ass today!"

Asuma blinks, taken aback by the sudden declaration. He pauses, then bursts into laughter. "You're going to what?"

Obito scowls, clearly not appreciating the amusement. "I'm serious! Kakashi's been getting on my nerves, and today, I'm finally going to show him who's boss!"

Asuma shakes his head, still chuckling. "Obito, Obito. You might want to reconsider. Kakashi's not an easy one to take down. Besides, isn't he your teammate?"

Obito grumbles, "Teammate or not, he needs to be put in his place."

Asuma raises an eyebrow, a smirk playing on his lips. "Well, good luck with that. Let me know how it goes. I'll be watching from a safe distance."

As they continue running across the rooftops, Asuma can't help but find the whole situation amusing.

Asuma and Obito arrive at the designated training ground reserved for Team Minato, and the scene unfolds before them. Rin and Minato engage in an intense taijutsu spar, their movements precise and swift. Kakashi, a bit further away, is engrossed in experimenting with his ninjutsu techniques.

Asuma prepares to jump over to Minato-sensei's direction, ready to join the training session. However, before he can make a move, Obito unexpectedly grabs his wrist. Asuma shoots Obito a quizzical look, confusion etched across his face.

"What's the deal, Obito?" Asuma questions, his curiosity evident in his tone.

Obito's grip on Asuma's wrist tightens, and he points towards Kakashi in the distance. "Look at Kakashi," he whispers, his eyes narrowing.

Asuma shifts his gaze to Kakashi, who is immersed in his ninjutsu practice. Suddenly, it clicks for Asuma.

Obito grins slyly, his eyes glinting mischievously as he turns to Asuma. "Hey, Asuma, you curious to see what Kakashi's up to over there?"

Asuma frowns, suspicion etched across his features. He knows Obito well enough to recognize that look – trouble is brewing. "Obito, I don't think it's a good idea to peek at someone else's training. It's dishonorable."

Obito raises an eyebrow, his grin widening. "Come on, Asuma! It's not like we're stealing his techniques or anything. Just a little harmless observation."

Asuma crosses his arms, skepticism is evident in his expression. "Harmless observation, huh? I'm not convinced."

Obito leans in, adopting a persuasive tone. "Trust me, it's worth it. Kakashi's experimenting with a jutsu that's got the potential to reach A-rank."

Asuma arches an eyebrow, intrigued despite himself. "A-rank? Really? What kind of jutsu are we talking about here?"

Obito chuckles, enjoying the intrigue he's sparked. "Close combat, sharpness, and speed – that's the focus. It's something special, and I thought you might want to witness it."

Asuma hesitates, still unsure about the ethical implications of their little espionage. "I don't know, Obito. It just doesn't feel right."

Obito grins, pushing his persuasive skills a step further. "Think about it, Asuma. If we get a glimpse of this jutsu, it might give us an edge in our own training. Besides, Kakashi won't even notice."

Asuma sighs, giving in to Obito's convincing argument. "Fine, but just a quick look. And if we get caught, it's on you."

Obito laughs, clapping Asuma on the back. "You won't be disappointed. In fact, we can just go there, and ask him for a sparring, wouldn’t that be easier?"

Asuma gulps. As a youth, and a young master of sorts, Asuma being a privileged young man is a fact… and this is reflected in his rebellious, or lazy moments. But, at this moment, as he peers at Kakashi's silhouette, engrossed in a Lightning Release jutsu, curiosity gets the better of him.

He mutters to himself, "Alright, Obito, you got me curious."

Despite his flaws, Asuma is undeniably a combat enthusiast. The prospect of witnessing Kakashi, a true genius at work stirs a fire within him. As he watches the lightning crackle and dance, Asuma's eyes narrow in contemplation.

"He's definitely onto something big," Asuma remarks, a spark of excitement in his voice. "Say what you want about Kakashi, but the guy knows how to push the boundaries."

Obito grins, enjoying Asuma's genuine interest. "Told you it was worth it, didn't I?"

Asuma nods, a competitive gleam in his eyes. "Yeah, yeah. Let's just hope he doesn't catch us spying."

As they continue to observe, Asuma can't help but think about the possibility of facing Kakashi in combat. The idea sparks a thrill, a desire to test his own mettle against the renowned genius of the Hatake clan.

"Imagine going head-to-head with Kakashi," Asuma muses, a smirk playing on his lips. "Now that would be a battle worth remembering."

Obito chuckles, sharing in the anticipation. "You've got that right, Asuma. Go on… spar with him."

When Asuma looks over at Obito, Obito is already gone. “Huh? Where did he go?” Asuma’s eyes return to Kakashi. “Hmmm…” He is really thinking very hard as of this moment on what to do. In the end, he decides to walk to Kakashi.

From the thicket of leaves and branches, Obito patiently waits for the show to begin.

Announcement
I hope you like my interpretation of Asuma in his youth. The clothes and appearance are canon. My personal touch is this Asuma possesses traits reminiscent of his 'future' students. Like Shikamaru, he can be lazy and smart. Like Choji, he is a foodie. Like Ino, he can be mischievous and has an outspoken personality.
Spoiler

I plan to expand the setting of the Sarutobi Clan (specifically, clans in general) which is most likely canon anyway (Though unconfirmed, and many of my inputs will be from deducing the original scenes from Naruto). It is acknowledged that the Sarutobi are a privileged class, however from deducing the scenes in Naruto, the more accurate description is that they were semi-privileged during the Warring States Period (Tobirama's and Hashirama's time). During Hashirama's time, the Sarutobi were only a retainer clan to the Senju. Though there is a class system in the Land of Fire, it is not expressly adapted within Konoha. I think the reason for this is Hashirama's sense of justice. The way he with Tobirama groomed Hiruzen has led me to strongly believe this (though there might be more political motives, for example, having someone close to you lead next). Admittedly, a class system exists implicitly in the form of clans. After Tobirama's rule as Hokage, isn't the natural development as history knows it is to create a dynasty? But no, the Senju did not 'exactly' create a dynasty. Though their influence has been deeply rooted and remains affecting the following generations, the Senju have faded and hidden from the world after Tobirama's time. Still from another perspective, it can be seen as a dynasty of Teachers and Pupils which is just less bad a dynasty than any... The point I wish to express is that I am planning to delve into the more political side of the Naruto Universe. I love interacting with readers and enjoy the creation process, so if you think that there is a perspective to this that is interesting to discuss, feel free to say it.

[collapse]
27