18 Ninja Politics
284 1 23
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Hidden in plain sight, in one of the few shops that Hiruzen frequents, gathers a total of four people rather close to him— Danzo, Minato, and Orochimaru. Each of them eats soba in their own way.

As the Third Hokage of the Hidden Leaf, Hiruzen is allowed to at least enjoy his favorite food, Hijiki partnered with Soba is good, but the air is too stifling. “Hmmm… This tastes not as good as I remember.”

Realizing the Third Hokage’s mood, Minato breaks the ice. “Hoo~ boy, that’s a new record, right? Forty-seven minutes, and they have quickly completed their mission objectives flawlessly. Team Minato for the win!”

The Chunin Exams, the Forest of Death exam in particular has gone particularly well. Team Minato’s genin led by Kakashi has made quick progress and has found themselves immediately completing their tasks, marking them as the most seeded exemplary ninjas that Konoha has to offer.

“I still cannot believe Obito to be running around with the Earth Scroll  on him, and then midway they actually made a switcheroo with Kakashi who had acquired a Heaven Scroll at some point, thus confusing the chasing ninjas on their tails who was hell-bent on acquiring their other halves!” Minato proudly click-clacks with his chopstick.

“You have taught them well, your protégé is most interesting…” Danzo numbly remarks as he eats his soba dipped in soy sauce. “I have watched so much closer, and Kakashi has the making of the pillars of Konoha. Lord Hokage, I would appreciate it if he is to be sent to my Root division so that I may groom him further.”

“Shameless beyond measure, Lord Danzo,” Orochimaru smirks like the snake he is, as he gives a meaningful glance at Minato and then at the Third Hokage.

“Now, now, we are all friends here,” Minato smiles amicably, his eyes focused on his soba. The smooth noodles are certainly of high quality, but Minato enjoys more flavorful food. “The Forest of Death Exam would be limited to two days, but that’s actually a fake out. It is too unrealistic for this part of the exam to take two days considering the terrain isn’t really so big, and the mission parameters as designed are meant to be done for five hours. The real deadline is only five hours, and currently, we only have two teams— the team led by Kakashi, and then the team led by Asuma.”

The air in the small soba shop becomes even more charged as the conversation continues. The Third Hokage, Hiruzen, lifts his gaze from his seemingly unappetizing bowl of soba and fixes his stern eyes on Danzo.

"Danzo, I don’t want you to touch Kakashi in any way. Kakashi has his place in Konoha, and I won't allow him to be used for your more questionable methods," Hiruzen responds firmly, his voice carrying the weight of authority. “I have tolerated Root, but that doesn’t mean you get to advertise it to my face so directly.

Danzo doesn't seem fazed by the rejection. Instead, he simply nods, acknowledging the Hokage's stance. "Very well, Lord Hokage. I shall obey."

Orochimaru, ever the enigmatic presence, smirks again, his yellow eyes gleaming with a cunning intelligence. "Ah, the delicate dance of power and loyalty. It's always fascinating to see how it plays out. Lord Danzo, it seems you have been mellowing out in a good way."

Minato, attempting to lighten the tension, interjects with a chuckle. "Orochimaru-san, don’t tease Lord Danzo too much. He is shy, look.”

“And tomorrow, there shall be a Tournament Setup, this is my favorite part actually,” Hiruzen interjects, grinning like a child. The Third Hokage rubs his hand as he finishes eating. He places the chopstick back on the tray.

All too suddenly, a Jonin subordinate to Orochimaru approaches discreetly and whispers to Orochimaru. With a frown, Orochimaru stands up. “Excuse me, gentlemen, but it seems I have to go.”

“What’s the problem?” Minato innocently tilts his head, looking over at the Jonin beside Orochimaru who seems to have suffered signs of burns… perhaps a trace of dodging barely a Fire Release justu.

Keeping quiet about his observations, Minato continues to probe in. “Is it related to the project? The one you requested permission from? What is it? The study of medicinal pills and other derivative effects… I have been curious about it recently since I was a young man you know, I’d like to boost my performance during nightly activities.” The way he mentions ‘nightly activities’ is almost playful in that no one would suspect what Minato is actually up to.

But Orochimaru knows Minato’s personality to some extent, and that’s why he knows Minato is sounding him out. “Maybe next time, I have to go.” And then… Orochimaru vanishes.

Danzo returns to stirring trouble, “I sincerely hope you stop cuddling your Jinchuriki.”

“Hey,” There is a slight bloodlust in Minato’s voice but he quickly hides it. “My lovely significant half has a name, and her name is Kushina.”

“I know what you are doing,” Danzo stands up and looks down on Minato. “As a Career Ninja, you must have finally hit a wall. And now, you resort to this, marrying into a prestigious clan such as the Uzumaki is too good of an opportunity for you to pass. As expected from a Social Climber. Uzumaki as a failing clan doesn't inspire confidence though.”’

'If I am a Social Climber, then you are a Parasite that the Third Hokage has kept as a pet.’ Minato wants to say something like that, but he suppresses his emotions and keeps a calm façade. He resorts to a lower-key jab, “If you are trying to aim for the Seat as the Fourth Hokage, good luck! Competition is strong, you know?”

The way Minato has said ‘Dattebayo’ is a tribute to Kushina, her affectation of sorts.

“…” Danzo simply leaves without a word.

A short silence ensues as this time Hiruzen drinks his tea, while Minato orders a yakisoba bread, and thankfully the store has it— it can never go wrong with a yakisoba bread.

“Is that wise Minato, confronting Danzo so straightforwardly?” Hiruzen asks as he sips on his tea.

Minato takes a moment to collect himself after Danzo's departure and then turns to Hiruzen with a smile. "Well, that was interesting. It seems I have a knack for bruising people’s egos, huh?"

Hiruzen chuckles, sipping his tea. "Indeed, Minato. You always find a way to keep things lively. Now, about the upcoming tournament setup—"

Before the conversation can continue, Minato's attention shifts to the yakisoba bread that has arrived. He eagerly unwraps it and takes a bite, savoring the flavors. "Ah, this is much better than the cold soba. You should try it, Lord Hokage."

Hiruzen raises an eyebrow but declines with a shake of his head. "I'll stick to my smooth soba and tea. Now, about the tournament—"

Minato interrupts again, his mouth still half full. "Right, the tournament! It's a great opportunity for our genin to showcase their skills. I have a feeling Kakashi's team will make quite an impression. And Obito, that kid is improving leaps and bounds."

Hiruzen nods, appreciating Minato's optimism. "Indeed. The future of Konoha rests on the shoulders of these young ninjas. We must guide them well. As adults, it is our responsibility to show them a good example of how to protect the Will of Fire."

As Minato finishes his yakisoba bread, he glances at Hiruzen with a twinkle in his eye. "Speaking of guiding, sensei, what are your thoughts on Orochimaru's research? I’ve heard rumors recently and they are not good.”

“What do you mean?”

Hiruzen raises an eyebrow, a subtle expression of concern crossing his features. "Rumors, you say? What have you heard, Minato?"

Minato wipes his mouth with a napkin before leaning in slightly. "Well, it's said that Orochimaru's research involves some questionable experiments, especially in the realm of forbidden jutsu and human experimentation. There are whispers about him delving into areas that go against the principles of our village."

Hiruzen's gaze sharpens, and he lowers his voice. "I have heard such murmurs as well. Orochimaru has always been a bit of an enigma lately, but if his actions endanger the village, I cannot turn a blind eye. I've kept a watchful eye on him, but gathering concrete evidence has proven challenging. Any reliable leads?"

“Missing children,” That is all Minato has said, but then a short silence follows.

And it is Hiruzen who as quickly breaks this silence. “I fear Danzo may be involved. He has been sponsoring orphanage after orphanage off the books. He thinks I don’t know it, but I do. I left him alone because he is not doing anything wrong by simply sponsoring orphanages, but it is suspicious why it has to be off the books. I don’t think we can make any drastic moves given the current stalemate.”

Minato nods thoughtfully. "I understand. It's just that if these rumors are true, we might need to take action sooner rather than later. We can't afford to have someone within our ranks compromising the village's integrity."

Hiruzen sighs, his shoulders sagging slightly. "Minato. Being a Hokage is not an easy task. But rest assured, I won't allow the village to be further… jeopardized.”

But words are meaningless when proper actions are not taken.

23