Chapter 34
13 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

*  Hi, if you like the story, could you help me with the rating? This would be a great help. Thank you! : )

* Have a great day! Enjoy : )

 

 

After a quiet moment beneath the moon’s gentle light, Elysian released a heavy sigh, turning his attention to the young woman. Unflinching, she met his gaze; her eyes, full of resolve, captured his attention. A smile formed on his lips, impressed by her courage.

“By the way,” the noble said, his tone casual. “What’s your name?”

“Amara, young master,” the young woman responded, bowing slightly as a formality. “Amara de Vere. I own the Velvet Chamber.”

 

‘Velvet Chamber? I’ve heard that name before.

Hmm…

Where did I hear that again? 

Amara… That name sounds familiar.’

 

“Is that the brothel in the east of the city?” Osric asked, his tone carrying a note of uncertainty.

“Yes,” Amara confirmed, sensing the scrutiny of the three boys. She sighed, expecting that kind of reaction from them, though it offered little solace. “I know what you are thinking. We are dirty in your eyes. However, we are also people,” she uttered softly, her voice trembling as he struggled to hold back her emotions. “We deserve to live.”

Despite being the owner of the Velvet Chamber, it didn’t mean she was a prostitute. Though it wasn’t easy, she didn’t care if others viewed her as a whore, as long as they helped rescue Layla. Moreover, she saw nothing wrong with that profession. It’s a means to survive and feed their family. Many of the people she knew were in that field, and she could confirm that they were good people. Some of them were even the finest individuals she had met. It wasn’t strange then that she regarded all the prostitutes at the Velvet Chamber as her family.

Elysian’s eyes suddenly widened, finally recognizing the name. He looked at the young woman again, studying her more closely, struggling to reconcile the infamous woman from his past with the simple and beautiful girl standing before him.

 

‘The names Amara de Vere and the Velvet Chamber were so infamous that I heard about them even across the sea, all the way to the desert. This piqued my interest because she hailed from Thorin before establishing herself in Venera. There, she skillfully extracted information from influential individuals, leveraging that knowledge to gain power and wealth. However, her actions eventually caught up with her, leading to her execution.

Hmm… I didn’t know she was originally from Ironspire, not just from Thorin. This is unexpected—a pleasant surprise.

Hmm…

This is a chance—an opportunity I can’t miss.

But before that, let's see…’

 

 

‘Hmm… Interesting. 

Given her reputation, I’m surprised to find that she’s less talented than Bran and Osric. However, I’m even more surprised at the Eye’s reaction. From its remarks, I can gather two important points. First, it seems I’m protected from mental attacks by the artifact. How strong is that protection? I don’t know. Second, Amara’s lack of talent actually makes her traits even more dangerous. That perspective is enlightening. It’s my first time seeing it that way. It appears that having weaker traits doesn’t necessarily equate to being weak. If utilized correctly, they can become quite potent and dangerous.

Now, I see why Amara will become infamous in the future.’

 

“Shh. Hey, Amara, I’m not judging,” Elysian quickly interjected, trying to dispel her presumptions. Moving closer to her, he continued, “We’re not here to judge you or anyone in that profession. I understand that most are forced into prostitution out of necessity, their only means of providing for themselves and their families. So, who am I to judge them? I don’t have that right.”

Glancing at the young noble, she was taken aback to see compassion in his eyes as he smiled at her. This was a stark contrast to the terrifying boy who had just ruthlessly killed a man, laughing as he pinned him to the wall. This close to the young noble, she noticed a mysterious force that seemed to emanate from him. It’s difficult to explain, but it was there. She was sure about it; something about him that drew her in.

“I must admit, I’m pleasantly surprised. You’re so young, yet you already have your own business. That’s quite impressive,” Elysian remarked nonchalantly, subtly changing the conversation to put her at ease.

As the young woman began to explain, Elysian gently interjected, “Let’s stop that discussion for now. There will be plenty of opportunity to talk about that later.” Reassuring her with a smile, he continued, “Right now, let’s focus on your friend. You mentioned earlier that the Crimson Talon had taken her?”

“Yes, young master,” Amara replied, nodding to the boy with hope in her eyes. “Her name is Layla. We grew up together in the Velvet Chamber. She’s like a sister to me,” she explained, her voice cracking slightly as she fought back her tears, anxious about her friend’s safety. “The people working for me saw her being taken by the Crimson Talon. I’ve heard that their leader in this city took a fancy to her.”

“Isn’t that good, though?” Oscric asked, scratching his head in confusion. “If the boss of the Crimson Talon here in Ironspire is interested in her, shouldn’t that be good? It means she has a wealthy patron, more money for her and you, plus a powerful connection.”

“If he takes her to be his woman, that’s one thing, and if he marries her, even better,” Amara responded, exhaling deeply as she disclosed the situation. “However, Grimscar has a notorious reputation. He’s infamous for torturing and killing the women he desires. There are even rumors circulating that he keeps the skulls of his victims as trophies in his room,” she explained, shuddering at the thought of her friend suffering such a fate.

Upon hearing the situation, Elysian immediately frowned, and not only him, he noticed his two companions doing the same. “Don’t worry. If she’s still alive, we’ll rescue her,” he declared, nodding reassuringly. “Do you know where she is?”

“Yes,” Amara quickly responded, her voice filled with hope. Breathing a sigh of relief, she bowed in gratitude and added, “Thank you, young master. I’ll never forget this favor.”

 

‘Good. That’s what I like to hear.’

 

 


 

 

“See that abandoned warehouse?” Amara gestured, pointing towards a dilapidated structure patrolled by a couple of armed men. “That’s their headquarters. I’m sure she’s there.”

The warehouse sat near the outskirts of the city, nestled by trees and overgrown grasses. It looked old and abandoned; however, don’t let it fool you. It’s all a facade. If you observed carefully, you’d notice that there were recent repairs to its structure, making its foundation sturdier. With the reinforcements at its door, the warehouse looked ready for any assault. He was almost certain that the walls were also reinforced inside, making it a perfect base for an infamous gang—inconspicuous and secure.

Elysian nodded at the young woman before turning to his two companions and asking, “Are you both certain you wanted to come along?”

Without any hesitation, Bran and Osric nodded instantly, their eyes blazing with fire, eager to prove themselves.

Studying their expressions, Elysian smiled. Their faces clearly reflected their personalities: the servant, with his usual anxious face, and the former soldier, with his fierce demeanor.

“Is there a problem, young master?” Bran inquired, noticing the young noble’s lingering stare at them.

“No. There’s no problem, big fella,” Elysian responded, chuckling at the curious look from the two older boys. “I’m just happy that both of you have my back.”

“Always, young master,” Bran declared sincerely, without his usual goofy look. “We’ve always got your back.”

“Good.” Elysian nodded at them. Turning to the young woman, he stated, “Stay here. It will be dangerous inside.”

“I won’t. I can’t just stay here and do nothing,” Amara said, her voice full of resolve. “Besides, I’m the only one who knows where Grimscar likely kept Layla. Taking me with you will accelerate the rescue mission.”

 

‘She already gathered the information. It seems she’s a natural. It’s in her blood. That’s good.’

 

“Fine,” Elysian agreed while sighing. “However, you must always stay behind us. And don’t act on your own. It could endanger your life and ours as well.”

After the girl agreed, Elysian shifted his attention back to his two companions. “By the way, both of you always stay behind me. I’ll be in front.” When he saw Osric was about to object, the young noble quickly interjected, “Listen, this is not a game or a practice. This is real. We could get killed. If we make a mistake here, we’re dead,” he stated, staring them straight in the eyes to drive his point across. “Among the three of us, I’m the strongest. It’s only logical that I take the lead. Do you understand?”

“Yes, master,” Osric replied, while the servant nodded in agreement.

“Good,” Elysian nodded to them and continued, “As the leader of this assault, my main role is the spear, piercing through our enemies as quickly and quietly as possible, while the two of you are the shield, protecting my back and Amara.” Pausing for a moment, he suddenly grew serious and remarked, “By coming with me, there’s a real chance that you might have to take a life. Do you understand that, right?”

Osric immediately nodded without a second thought, while Bran hesitated. His face paled when he realized that he might kill a person.

“Bran, if you lack the resolve to kill someone, how can I even bring you?” Elysian questioned, noting the servant's reaction. “You’re not just risking your life but our lives as well.”

Exhaling heavily, the older boy grew quiet while he stared at the ground, feeling deflated after hearing his master’s words.

“I know it won’t be easy. However, these thugs are bad people who have done many despicable things. You mustn’t feel sorry for them,” Elysian stated, sighing deeply as the servant slowly glanced at him. “My friend, sometimes you are just too nice for your own good. You must learn when to be ruthless and when to be kind. It’s actually very simple: be ruthless to people that deserve it and be kind to people that are good to you. You need to grow up fast; on the battlefield, things like these can get you killed.” After pausing for a moment, he continued, “Do you understand me?”

“I understand you, young master, however; I just can’t imagine myself taking someone’s life,” Bran remarked, his eyes growing teary. For a kind and gentle kid who grew up in a loving and happy family, this was not easy. However, the moment he followed the young noble on this path, this was bound to happen.

“You might not like it, but you must still do it,” Elysian stated firmly, locking eyes with the older boy. “It’s inevitable, my friend.”

“I know,” Bran responded, nodding to the young noble. There was still hesitation in his eyes, but beneath it, a spark of flame was starting to ignite—a resolve so firm that the world might shatter but his will would endure.

“Good. It might not be enough, but it’s a start, my friend,” Elysian remarked, smiling approvingly at the gentle giant.

 

‘Damn, it seems I’m really a bad influence on these kids.’

 

 


 

 

While surveying the patrolling thugs around the warehouse, Elysian turned to his companions. “Are all of you ready?”

“Yes, young master.”

 

 

Hello, this is the author.  If you find any problems, feel free to let me know. Also, I’m open to suggestions.

If you enjoy the story, you can consider donating to my Patreon. There are also 13 advanced chapters available there.

I hope you can help a poor and struggling writer here. 

Also, if you like the story, don't forget to rate it. Thank you!

2