Re: That Time My Mother Got Turned into a Monster! – Chapter Nine
22 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

June seemed to be warming up to me, showing signs of trusting me more and more despite her initial fear but still slightly scared. Despite her transformation into a dangerous beast, I knew she was a good person at heart—a rare and unusual situation, almost unheard of. Still, caution is a part of my standard practice; after all, monsters are dangerous by nature, and we cannot overlook that fact. June's inner goodness had somehow not become corrupted or lost, overcoming her newfound predatory instincts. She was clearly still wary about her new situation, but I was happy that we were forming a connection, no matter how cautious she was. The fear in her eyes was slowly fading, and I was hopeful that our fledgling friendship would prevail. 

 

I could sense it was a delicate balance raging in her mind, easily broken by the slightest misstep. Her transformation had turned her into a lethal predator, yet she still retained her humanity even though her appearance had changed dramatically. However, faint her lingering humanity might be. One should never underestimate the power of basic kindness. It was as if her inner goodness somehow managed to break through the primal instincts of her new form. I knew I would never be truly safe from her, but I also hoped our friendship could endure. How she had managed to retain her inner virtues despite being transformed into a dangerous beast, I can only assume. 

 

I also knew her father, James Voltaire, was in bad shape. I had to get him back to the Hall to receive the life-saving help he required. That was his only chance at survival, and I was determined to help him. His condition was grave, and without proper treatment, he could quickly decline, and his condition could potentially become irreversible. The Hall was his only hope. The severe wounds from the monster hunters had taken a toll on his body, and he was losing a significant amount of blood. The longer he remained in this state, the more his health would continue to deteriorate. It was crucial for his well-being to receive proper medical care quickly. Every moment counted.

 

I decided to try to speak with June about her father's current situation. She would have been upset but also needed to know what was happening. I sat down next to her and put my arm around her gently and reassuringly. I wanted her to feel safe, even in this challenging time. I could see the concern and worry on her face, and I knew what kind of impact the news would have on her. But it was vital for her to be aware of her father's condition, regardless of how much it hurt. I tried to be mindful of her feelings, realizing the emotional strain she was undergoing.

 

"June," I said, "I know that you're scared. But I want you to know that your father is going to be okay. We're going to get him back to the Hall and he's going to get the help he needs."

 

June looked up at me with tears in her eyes. "I don't want him to die," she said distortedly.

 

"He's not going to die," I said. "We're going to get him help."

 

June nodded, but she didn't say anything else. I knew she was still scared, but I also knew that she was starting to feel a little better.

 

I stood up and helped June to her feet. "Let's go," I said. "We need to get your father back to the Hall."

 

June nodded as she stood from the bed, and we started walking. Although I knew it would be an arduous and challenging journey, I was determined to get June's father the help he needed, no matter how long it would take.

 

I gently took the old man over my shoulder to help him walk. The wounds on his body were already well bandaged, and I didn't want to mess with them anymore. With his advanced age, he needed as much care and protection as possible, and I was happy to provide him with all I could. Having him over my shoulder meant that he could still see and interact with his surroundings, and I liked that it made him feel more comfortable and like himself. It was the least I could do for someone still considered my family, even in his current condition. He'd known my father for years and might be the only real family I had left besides my mother and brother.

 

I helped James out of the room into the dark hallway. A sound drew my attention from somewhere on the floor. James hears it, too, and brandishes his sword. A woosh darts past my chest, and James cries out in pain. I look down and see an arrow in the side, stabbing him. I quickly pulled the old man helping him to stay on his feet. We limped down the hallway, looking for a place to hide while dodging more arrows all the way. I lost sight of June, and she was gone in a heartbeat. I thought about finding a small room and barricading the door with furniture. 

 

So we could sit down and try to catch our breath, but that was out of the cards. James is in a lot of pain, but he is still conscious. I tell him to stay quiet, and we look for a place for us to hide or another flight of stairs. I creep down the hallway, being careful not to make any noise. I come to a door and slowly open it. There was a stairwell that went down. I follow it, making sure to keep weight off of James. 

 

As we get close to the bottom, I peek around the corner, looking down the stairs, and see a group of men searching. They are all armed and look like they are up to no good. They weren't hunters or any group I was aware of. They were dressed in black-clad armor, making it hard to see any details in low torchlight.

 

I quickly haul James back up the stairs. I caught a glimpse of the hunters passing by the door through the crack of the door. James and I freeze as the hunters search the floor we'd just been on. Our only chance was to find a path from the second floor. We both knew we had to get out of here soon. James and I hobbled our way to the second floor. I sat James down by the stairs' base and looked. The floor appeared to be free of hostiles. A muffled cough came from James.

 

"Where's June," James asked, trying not to cough. 

 

I glanced at the arrow protruding from his chest. The arrow in his chest was making him look worse by the minute. The poison must be fast-acting. I could tell he was worried about his daughter.

 

"June's okay, she's not the one I'm worried about right now. These wounds are severe and thar arrow…," I said, but James cut me off.

 

"It's poison… I know. Just get June out of this place. I had no idea the Brotherhood of Naissance Obsidianne was here too. They're worse than the Royal Papacy. Getting June out of here is crucial because either of the groups could potentially cause great harm to the world if they get hold of her. It's imperative to act quickly," James said.

 

"I'll get both of you out of here," I countered.

 

"No, you won't," James said, sipping the vial he was holding.

 

James took a sip of the shimmering red liquid flowing through the tube, and his wounds nearly instantly began to smoke and steam as he stood up. He suddenly seemed more alive and energized, his expression changing from one of pain to one of alertness. I could see the transformation happening before my eyes, and I was amazed at how quickly the liquid worked its magic. It was like watching a man being reborn right in front of me. But I didn't have much time to dwell on it because James was now on his feet.

 

His eyes glowed a bright crimson red, and his veins suddenly began bulging under his skin. The old man handed me his heavy backpack and large suitcase as if he didn't need them anymore. He was now a changed man with the vigor and strength of a young warrior. I couldn't help but be impressed by the transformation the treatment had caused. His entire demeanor had shifted, but despite that, there was no mistaking my sense of familiarity when I looked into his eyes. 

 

"Adam von Yeager, if you want to keep your Mother and June safe, you'll need these. You may not realize it, but you're in serious danger. I apologize for not finding you sooner. Please take good care of little June for me." James said.

 

"What was that? What are you talking about? I have to get you to the Holy State Hall," I countered.

 

"It is essential that you safeguard my child and place your trust in only a select few individuals, including your brother, Grand Imperator Anja Fischer, Mother Superior Euphemia, and the sisters of her Hall," James said.

 

Before I could say another word, he pushed me back against the wall with such force that I felt the air whoosh out of my lungs. I tried to stop him, but his strength was overwhelmingly powerful. In the blink of an eye, James disappeared upstairs, leaving me gasping for breath. June appeared beside me with Mum, both looking as shocked as I felt. As soon as I set my sights on them, I heard a loud crash and a scream from upstairs. Chaos had broken out.

 

"Papa!" June shouted.

 

"Mum, take her and go! I yelled.

 

Evangeline took June into June's arms and, with superhuman speed, vanished in an instant. One moment they stood before me in the hallway; the next, they were gone. Evangeline had moved so fast that she had left behind a blur of motion, almost as if there was some supernatural effect to her speed. I had to escape with the luggage that James had left behind. I wanted to go after him for June's sake but couldn't. James was buying us time to escape. The chaos upstairs was getting closer. I grabbed the things James had given me and ran.

 

As I heard the deafening sound of fighting and the terrified screams of people, I realized I had to flee from there without a second thought. With a sense of urgency, I bolted down the stairs and rushed out of the house. I didn't dare to turn around and ran as fast as I could. 

 

I had no idea where to go, but I felt compelled to flee. I sprinted recklessly into the forest beyond the mansion on the hill until I could no longer keep up the pace. My heart was beating out of my chest, and my lungs were burning, yet I continued to run. Something inside me pushed me on, urging me to get away as fast as possible. I don't know how long I ran, but eventually, I collapsed to the ground, exhausted and breathless. Despite my exhaustion, there was still a feeling of fear and urgency in my heart. I needed somewhere to hide as if I were in danger.

 

Exhausted, I fell to the ground and struggled to catch my breath. Taking in my surroundings, I realized I had run all the way to the city's outskirts. The buildings seemed far away, and the open fields stretched out before me. I had fled into the countryside, but I didn't know where exactly I was or how I got there. The night was pitch black, and the stars were bright, but despite the beauty of the nocturnal sky, I couldn't shake the feeling of isolation and unease that surrounded me. I felt strangely lost in the vastness of the darkness. The city's lights glowed in the distance like a beacon of hope in the darkness. But the silence felt unnatural to me, almost as if something was watching me without me being aware. 

 

Despite my exhaustion, I did feel a surge of relief to be out of harm's way. The city offered protection and safety, things I desperately needed. I leaned against a nearby wall and tried to compose myself. I had escaped for the moment but knew I was still in danger. I couldn't let my guard down just yet. I began walking closer to the city, keeping my senses fully alert. As my eyes kept searching for potential threats in that area, most of the street was void of human life, and I didn't feel safe. I had no idea if my pursuers were still on my tail or not. I just wanted to find a safe place to hide.

 

After gathering my breath for a few moments, I sat down and began pondering about James. I hoped he was unharmed, considering the mysterious vial of glowing red liquid he'd consumed. I remembered a vial of red liquid the night my mother transformed. My mind was running at a hundred miles an hour, trying to imagine how he could be attacked or injured. The thought made me dizzy and afraid. The idea of him being hurt or killed was too much to bear. He was too important for that to happen. My heart raced as I tried to block out the disturbing thoughts that filled my head. I couldn't stay here any longer, so I needed to return to the Holy Hall. Standing up, I began walking to where I knew Mum had taken June.

0