Chapter 13 ~ Warm Compassion, Cold Courage
6 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

    As August ended and September began, I had settled into my strict timetable. The workload began increasing at both schools, so there was no room for lazing about. Morning walks became more bearable as temperatures started to drop. I was finally accustomed to living two separate lives. It was difficult, but I had lots of help.

    The bell rang suddenly, jolting me awake. I tucked my hair behind my ear and yawned. The afternoon sun illuminated the room, a gentle reminder of my surroundings. I'd made a handful of friends and acquaintances since the beginning of the year, and the lack of drama was refreshing.

    A steady silence fell over the class as my chemistry teacher began explaining the experiment. "Today is titration day. I've handed out a sheet containing instructions and materials. This lab will be a formal report due on Monday. Please ensure to thoroughly clean your burette both before and after."

    I hated writing lab reports. I could crank out a decent essay in less than three hours, but formal reports were too constructed for my liking. On top of that, the last thing I wanted was more work.

    "For my convenience and yours," he continued, "I've split you up randomly into groups of two."

    Everyone groaned collectively, including me. I wasn't close with anyone in the class, but I could at least scope out who was nice and who wasn't.

    "Ava-Mae is with Clayton. Holly with Caroline. Marc and Kaden, Emerson and Sara, Dante and Corey, Jana with Adam..." He rattled off names from a list. My tension grew with each statement. "...Lucas with Chloe, and Owen with Zack."

    I bit my lip. I barely knew Lucas. I glanced at him from across the room, grabbed my notebook, and followed him to the lab benches.

    He handed me a pair of safety goggles as I approached. "Have you ever done this before?"

    "A titration? Nope. I've heard it's difficult." I took a retort stand from the drawer, screwed it into a hole in the countertop, and fastened a clamp to it.

    "Let's hope for the best," he said while rinsing the burette pipe with water.

    We both kept quiet. I began preparing the three vinegar samples. We worked diligently alongside everyone else. From the corner of my eye, I noticed his occasional, lingering glances.

    I waited until he did it again, then turned to meet his gaze. "What?"

    "Sorry." He shook his head. "It's just... You look familiar."

    I knitted my brows in confusion. I definitely didn't know anyone named Lucas. However, the longer I looked at him, the more I recognized him. I dismissed the thought and continued with the experiment.

    A minute later, his face lit up. "The beach! That's it!" he exclaimed. "Uh... Back in July, we met briefly at the beach. The umbrella...?"

    "Oh, right! Now I remember," I realized, laughing, before internally cringing at how awkward I'd acted back then. "What a coincidence."

    "No kidding," he agreed. "Well... I'm glad I got a cool partner."

    The corner of my mouth pulled upward. "Me too."

    Lucas stepped closer to help. I crouched to control the tap flow of the burette while he swirled the beaker underneath.

    "Remind me what the point of this is?" he asked.

    "Essentially, I'll keep adding more of this sodium hydroxide while you keep mixing. It turns pink momentarily with every drop, but we're trying to find the exact point where it'll stay pink even after swirling it a bunch."

    I rested my elbow on the counter and concentrated. The experiment was boring and very touchy. Finally, just when my fingers began to cramp, we reached the perfect balance. The two of us had been focusing for so long that I didn't notice how close we were standing to each other. I quickly retreated.

    Taking the successful beaker, I raised it triumphantly. "We did it!"

    "That took way too long," Lucas sighed, grinning. "I can't believe it worked on our first try."

    I shrugged, mirroring his disbelief. "Beginner's luck?"

    The two consecutive trials went even better. We finished in good time, leaving us the better part of an hour. I returned to my desk and Lucas pulled up a chair next to me.

    "So this report is due on Monday?" he asked.

    "Yep. I hate doing them, but they're pretty quick." I opened my laptop and began inputting our results into a pre-made document. "And then there's that test on Wednesday..."

    He slumped over, resting his head on his arms. "I almost forgot..."

    I stifled a laugh and continued typing away. "Not one for tests, huh?"

    "No. Never have been." He was now sitting upright, eyes gleaming in the midday sun. "I'm wondering... Ah, this may be too much to ask..."

    "What's up?"

    "Well, you seem to know what's going on in this class. Do you think you could help me study? I'm...not sure I'm fully understanding this unit."

    I pulled my gaze from my computer screen, somewhat taken aback. It's not that I didn't want to help him – I just wasn't used to people coming to me for assistance. "I'd be happy to help. I mean, I'm not the smartest, but... I kind of like chemistry."

    He smiled. "Really? Thank you, Chloe. Sorry for the trouble, I just figured two heads are better than one."

    "No problem. It'll do me some good to study, too," I replied. "You can come over to my house if you want."

    "I think that'd be better than mine, frankly." Upon seeing my curious reaction, he continued. "I live with my uncle. He's...not the friendliest. Doesn't take kindly to guests."

    "...Oh." I nodded, not wanting to press any further. "That's fine. I don't live too far from here; you're welcome to drop by on Saturday."

    "Awesome. Thanks."

    We exchanged phone numbers so I could give him my address. I hoped he didn't think I was flirting. I'd never been in a relationship; I'd never even had a serious crush on someone. It was my understanding that when somebody asked for your number, there's a good chance they're attracted to you. I didn't want Lucas to think that... So, we arranged to meet at my house on Saturday afternoon. This meant that I had to skip a little bit of training – something Kadia wouldn't appreciate. But I understood that in order to balance both lives, I'd have to cut corners every now and then.


    The sound of my footsteps became drowned out by the hallway chatter. I walked against the flow of traffic, sticking close to the wall. Around me, students were laughing, talking, and making out in corners. It was the end of the day, but I had one last stop. Despite my schedule seeming completely full, my parents still decided to make me join a school club. Being tasked to save a distant planet from destruction didn't exempt me from getting a 'normal high school experience', apparently. Needless to say, I wasn't thrilled, but I had to obey. There was a huge variety of clubs at Oceanside. After pondering for a few weeks, I settled on Book Club. It was simple; just a thirty-minute meeting every Friday after school. Reading was something I did frequently anyway, and it was certainly easier than training.

    The library doors squeaked as I entered. It was quiet, as usual. I wove around the maze of bookshelves to the back corner, where a circle of chairs was set up. My eyes landed on a girl sitting near a window. She was talking excitedly to a few people around her, legs folded on the edge of her seat. I had met her last week at this very spot, and she was in a few of my classes. Like me, her parents were insistent on her joining a club.

    "Spencer!" I called out.

    Spencer Redmond shot up out of her chair and rushed over. "Chloe! Thank god, I thought I was going to die of boredom." She rolled her brown eyes in exasperation. Standing at five-foot-four, she was about a head shorter than me, but her lively personality was what people knew her for anyway.

    "Really?" I questioned. "It seemed like you were saying something important there."

    She simply shrugged. Her ultra-curly, mocha brown hair circled her shoulders as she led me back to everyone else. We still had time before the meeting started.

    "There's a huge party tonight," she explained. "Do you know Farrah Clark?"

    "No, but I've heard the name."

    She smirked. "She's a total bitch, but she knows how to throw an absolute banger. Anybody can just walk in. You should go with me."

    I was tempted, but Kadia's stern voice echoed in the back of my skull. If I was skipping part of tomorrow, I had to train today. "I've got plans already, sorry."

    "Bummer. Maybe next time. Actually, knowing Farrah, she'll probably have a Halloween party next month." Spencer leaned back and popped a stick of gum into her mouth. "What've you got going on that's better than a party?"

    "A friend is coming over tomorrow to study. Chemistry lab partner. I don't want to be tired."

    "Boring," she frowned. "Why not ditch 'em?"

    I laughed. "Because he asked for help and I want to help him."

    She instantly jolted upright. "Oh, it's a 'him'? Now you've intrigued me."

    "No, it's not like that."

    "Who is this boy? I need to know!" She began poking my arm snoopily.

    "This isn't important."

    "Then tell me!"

    I sighed. "Lucas Ottinger."

    Spencer froze in place, brows furrowed. Her eyes flickered like she was scanning a mental database filled with student profiles. "Oh, Luke! Senior, tall, dark hair, nice eyebrows?"

    I paused for a moment, stunned. "That's the one. I'm impressed."

    She grinned, satisfied with herself. "It's a talent. He's super cute, by the way."

    "Don't you have a boyfriend?" I countered.

    "I wasn't insinuating anything!" she replied, faking offense. "I'm allowed to give compliments."

    We laughed once more and continued chatting for the remainder of the gathering, even when we were supposed to be discussing the novel. Spencer wasn't exactly the kind of person I'd usually be friends with, but we got along surprisingly well. She was the spunky girl that everyone knew but few were close with. She seemed to exude confidence, all while still being friendly and easygoing. I was super relieved that I was making friends so easily. All I wanted was for senior year to be better than things back in Minnesota. It was off to a good start.


    After school, I went to Emiarhia as early as I could. I was studying hard at the Academy, and my marks bore proof. The subject matter was intensely engaging. Kadia said that magic is highly complex and challenging, so one must understand its properties before trying to wield it. She likened it to a weapon, something that takes patience and discipline.

    Training was particularly exhausting that day. The instructors were pushing us harder than before. I was barely able to keep up. We were allowed to hold various types of actual weapons, including swords, axes, clubs, lances, staffs, bows, and some I didn't even recognize. Kadia, of course, knew everything there was to know about each kind. It was awesome, but they felt almost wrong in my hands.

    Shaye and I returned to her house afterwards. Like Earth, Emiarhia's weather was beginning to cool down. It was unusually sunny, however, so Shaye left her bedroom windows open. I sat cross-legged at the sill. The air was crisp and clean. I stuck my arm out, feeling the wind push against my palm. Nearly every muscle in my body ached. Nonetheless, I felt stronger than before.

    I traced my fingers lazily across the windowsill, soaking up the beauty of the day. Behind me, Shaye was muttering under her breath, scuttling around as if stepping on hot coals. I watched amusedly and tried not to laugh.

    "Aren't you going to help me?" she huffed, balancing a mountain of fabric in her arms.

    "I wouldn't know where to start," I answered. "What are you even doing?"

    She immediately dropped the textiles at her desk and joined me on the floor. Her eyes looked fiery. "The Nyvar Festival is in just over a week, and I still haven't finished our attire!"

    I felt my eyebrows raise in surprise. "I'm no seamstress, but I'm pretty sure it's impossible to make three extravagant outfits in nine days."

    She shook her head. "That's not the issue. Making clothes is quite simple in Emiarhia. It's mostly mechanized these days. Since dress is a very substantial part of our culture, we have abundant resources for making hundreds of different fabrics. Some of Emiarhia's most prized inventions are machinery made for optimizing embroidery and clothing production."

    I glanced over to the corner of her room. "That explains those." I counted at least three of them, all in excellent condition. They varied in size and shape but were made of the same metal. Some parts bore a resemblance to a classic sewing machine, but far more advanced. The intricacy of each apparatus discouraged me from asking how they functioned.

    "Yes, I have a few of my own," Shaye said, gazing at the devices in admiration. "I have become quite skilled at using them, so I'll be able to finish the outfits in time. It just recurred to me that I haven't the right materials. I could've sworn I had already purchased them..."

    "We could go and get them now," I suggested. "Isn't there a shop nearby?"

    Her expression brightened up. "That's true! I do have some spare time... Would you accompany me?"

    "Gladly," I said, picking up my coat from her bed.

    She rummaged through a trunk, retrieving a small pouch that jingled as she pocketed it. We were about to leave when I spotted a figure ambling towards the house.

    "Hey, Ashkan!" I shouted, leaning out the window.

    He looked up in brief alarm, squinting, before giving a polite wave. Shaye and I trotted downstairs to greet him.

    "We were just on our way to fetch some supplies for the Nyvar Festival," Shaye explained when she opened the door. "Would you like to come along?"

    "Sure. Anything's better than idling around," he complied, shrugging. "Speaking of which, you haven't even said what we're wearing. What are you planning?" He eyed Shaye cautiously as if to warn her not to make anything wild.

    "Just you wait. The designs are positively ingenious," she said.

    The three of us began heading towards town. Winithas – being the capital realm of Emiarhia and the metaphorical 'heart' of this planet – had the most tremendous array of shops and markets. Virtually anything you could imagine was available right at your fingertips. Some things in the back alleys were probably being sold illegally. It was one of my favourite spots to wander. Brightly coloured rooftops and awnings stood out against Winithas' snowy climate; a vivid stain within the realm. The crowds were always swarming, the merchants were always hospitable, and the food was always fresh.

    It didn't take long to get there. The sounds of commotion reached me before anything else. My boots clicked against the broad stone roads as horse or pegasus-drawn carts rolled beside us. The air carried scents of baked goods, exotic spices, and burning wood. Hearty laughter emanated from a neighbouring tavern.

    "Over there!" Shaye piped up, pointing to a tall, sturdy-looking shop across the street.

    Magenta and orchid silks hung loosely around the entrance, giving a quirky but charming impression. Soft, cheery music played in the background. A rotund man stood behind the counter. He nodded happily as we entered. Shaye quickly wandered off to find her supplies, disappearing around a corner.

    Large bolts of fabric sat on each wall, stacked to the ceiling. They seemed to be sorted by colour, texture, and opacity. I couldn't help reaching out to touch them. There was every finish imaginable, from thick and heavy to almost weightless. One textile even looked clear, like liquid glass. I had no idea how it was so flexible.

    "De Mavset," Ashkan called out from behind me. He pulled a few feet of fabric from a roll beside him and draped it around his shoulders. The garish, moss-coloured cloth bore gold leaf patterns.

    "It's almost as obnoxious as you," I teased, folding my arms across my chest.

    Brief shock flooded his face before turning impish. He snatched a spool of thread from a nearby rack and hurled it at my head.

    "Okay, okay!" I exclaimed, ducking for cover.

    We both laughed. The shopkeeper gave us a stern glare.

    "Cut it out, you two!" Shaye scolded. She walked over, fabric in hand. "Maybe just wait outside for me, all right?"

    Not wanting to anger the owner, Ashkan and I exited the shop. We strolled around adjacent walkways, being careful not to stray too far. Merchants called out as we passed and beckoned us to purchase their wares. I was incredibly entertained just looking at everything. Jewelry, cookware, produce, gadgets, beauty products, pottery, flowers...

    "Hey!" Ashkan blurted out. Before I had time to answer, he darted over to a large stall overflowing with delicate pastries. All kinds of delectable scents wafted over as I followed.

    An elderly woman tipped her hat welcomingly. "Nice to see you again." She smiled warmly at Ashkan before addressing me.  "I see you've brought a friend."

    "This is De Ma– Er, Brielle. Brielle, this is Ysante, the best baker in Winithas," he explained.

    "Nice to meet you," I said.

    "The pleasure's all mine." She looked me up and down, arched one brow, then winked knowingly. I wasn't sure how to interpret her gesture. "The usual?" she asked Ashkan.

    He nodded, tossing a multicoloured handful of coins on the counter. Ysante opened an oven behind her, revealing several trays of small, identical loaves. She carefully wrapped one in parchment paper, tied it with string, and handed it to Ashkan.

    "What is that?" I questioned after saying goodbye to Ysante. We walked side by side back towards the fabric shop.

    "Icciomb loaf," he said between bites. "Been one of my favourite sweets since I was little." He broke off a piece from the other end and gave it to me. "Have some."

    I stared at the morsel in my hand. "Are you sure? You paid for it."

    "Yep." He looked me straight in the eye, showing faint enthusiasm. "You should try it."

    I shrugged and sampled the sweet loaf. It was delicious. It had a velvety, cake-like texture. The sugar crystals gave a tingling sensation, which ended in a citrusy taste. "Mmm, this is really good."

    Ashkan smiled contentedly. "I knew you'd like it. Everyone does." He offered me another piece, which I graciously took. I didn't want to ruin the moment by saying it, but I was pleasantly surprised at his sudden act of kindness.

    We sauntered through the dense crowds while browsing the seemingly endless booths. I took a deep breath of the chilled air. Ahead of me, a familiar figure with garnet-red hair rushed over to join us, large knapsack in hand. Her face had urgency written all over it.

    "We need to leave. Now," Shaye ordered when she arrived within earshot. She hooked her thumb over her shoulder. I surveyed the area and immediately saw what she was pointing at.

    Thirty feet away, in an ill-lit corner, stood a silhouette of a menacing, brawny man. He leaned against the wall, cloaked in shadows. His gaze was fixated on us. Even from such a distance, I could see numerous scars on his face and arms, some old and some new. He sneered. Without warning, something clicked in my brain. I froze. My ribcage tightened. I had seen this man before, months ago. Back in Minnesota – the ice cream parlour. I didn't think he recognized me, but he had to be a threat.

    I had no time to process this, as Shaye was already dragging us in the opposite direction. Ashkan grabbed my hand and escorted me through the horde of people. We managed to return to Shaye's house without drawing more attention.

    "Who was that?" I asked after shutting and locking the door.

    Shaye sighed. "Balgaur Kef. Head of a sort of clan called the Inkbloods, and one of Emiarhia's most threatening felons. There's no telling how many crimes he's committed. As for the Inkbloods, they are a sundry batch, from what I've heard. Wastrels indulging in cruel entertainment, delinquents looking for more inventive and corrupted ways to evade the law, and simple poltroons desperate for refuge."

    "Why hasn't Balgaur been stopped?" I continued.

    "They've tried. Numerous times. He keeps escaping, the guileful bastard."

    "He's impossible to pin down," Ashkan chimed in. "He's fled prison twice. If he can't talk his way out, he'll kill anyone who stands in his path. It's rare to even see him, let alone arrest him. I'm astonished he showed his face in broad daylight."

    "Inkbloods spread through Emiarhia like veins," Shaye elaborated. "Nobody knows exactly how many members there are. Balgaur has connections everywhere, undercover servants roaming about. Extortion, theft, intimidation, abduction, torture... There's nothing they won't do to get their way."

    I watched her face pale. I took her hand and led her to the living room couch, fearing that she might pass out. When she seemed stable again, I resumed my questions. "What could he possibly want with us?"

    Ashkan noted Shaye's tension and answered me himself. "At this point, we're not exactly regular townspeople. The Nyvar Festival will be our first official public appearance. The whole realm will be watching us, both good and bad folk. I hate to say so, but there's bound to be criminals out there, waiting for us to fall into their traps."

    "Then why reveal our identities?" I asked.

    He looked away for a moment, then spoke again. "I'm not sure. It's the King and Queen's decision. It's been long enough, most people likely know anyway... I think they believe it'll bring reassurance to the people. After the Festival, security will definitely be tripled. We'll have to be escorted by guards everywhere... Protected at all times. Required to hide our faces if we go out alone. This...is just the beginning."

    I bit my lip nervously, fighting the impulse to twiddle my thumbs. Ashkan's words hung heavy in the air. The prophecy was deeper than I thought. Unsettling images materialized in my mind, ones with grim alleyways, midnight chases, and shackles bound to frigid walls.

    "Sorry," Ashkan said, softly this time. He rubbed the back of his neck. "I didn't intend to create so much gloom."

    "No, it's all right. We should be keenly aware of such repercussions," Shaye mumbled.

    "Let's not think about that right now." I turned to face her. "Why don't you show us what you bought?"

    She smiled, colour returning to her cheeks. Her knapsack sat open on the table, revealing three cloth bags. They were all messily labelled with a stamp print – one with an 'A', one with an 'S', and the last with a 'B'.

    "I already have the secondary fabrics for detailing, and all the embellishments," Shaye began, "but I was having trouble finding the perfect hues for what I envisioned."

    "And what are you envisioning?" Ashkan queried.

    Shaye took the bags and laid them out side-by-side. "Ashkan, you already know this, but I suppose Brielle doesn't. The Nyvar Festival is held in Shialumura, west of here, which is known for its bright lights and scintillating atmosphere. And since the Festival is the celebration of light, metallic attire is practically imperative." She paused for dramatic effect. I could tell how thrilled she was. "Ergo, I was thinking...why not wear the metal of our necklaces?"

    "Hey, that's a really good idea!" I said, sitting up straight. "I can picture it now..."

    Ashkan nodded approvingly toward Shaye.

    She clapped with joy. "I'll have to take both of your measurements within the next few days. From there, it'll be setting up the sewing machines and finding some proper adornments."

    Ashkan nudged her arm. "Have you decided who will be accompanying you to the Festival? If not, I can think of someone who would love to be that person."

    She pushed him aside. "With all these preparations, I've been much too busy to concern myself with finding a date. It's of little importance. If Viktor would like to attend with me, then...that's that." Then, her unenthusiastic tone turned inquisitive. "...What about you? I'm sure just about every girl has dreamt about being Ashkan Wroet'by's date."

    I watched, still confused, as Ashkan's expression switched from entertained to sour. "That's not true at all," he dismissed. "You're exaggerating."

    "You didn't answer my question."

    "I don't know and I don't care. That's my answer."

    "Um," I interjected, "hold on, do we need dates for the Festival?"

    "Oh, yes. An important part of it is a traditional dance that everyone will perform," Shaye said. "Since the three of us will be in the spotlight, we each need a partner. It's really not serious; I can help you find someone. Maybe you have an idea, Ashkan?"

    He ran his hand through his hair. By the way he looked at me, I knew what he was about to say before he did. "I... You wouldn't like the things some of them say about... How they... I mean... I could ask around..." He spoke hesitantly before trailing off.

    "No, that's okay... Maybe it's best if you don't. I'll handle it myself – but thanks." I gave him a halfhearted smile. "Besides, it's a one-time thing."

    "Exactly," he replied. "The whole thing is inane, really. Especially how–"

    BOOM!

    He was cut off by a sudden, thunderous explosion. The house shook momentarily from the shock wave. My heart lept into my throat. The sound resonated from somewhere north of us. We all jumped to our feet and looked at each other with the same alarmed expression. Turning on my heel, I ran to the nearest window. My fingers tightened around its frame as I observed exactly what I prayed not to see. A large pillar of smoke stood in the distance, billowing outwards over the town. A raging fire grew in the centre of the chaos. Dust and ash formed clouds around the scene. People fled in all directions, desperately searching for cover. This wasn't a mirage weapon like I had experienced months prior. Whoever was doing this wasn't playing games anymore. It was real.

    From behind me, Shaye gasped in horror. "Cilas!" she cried out. "Dear gods, he's out there! Mother sent him to get groceries; we need to go find him! He could be hurt!" Her voice grew more terror-stricken with each sentence. She was about to open the door when Ashkan caught her by the elbow.

    "No, we can't! It's much too dangerous. Cilas is strong and sharp, I'm sure he's fine." He tried to reason with her – but to no avail.

    "You don't know that!" she shouted, now on the verge of bursting into tears. "This is my brother we're talking about!" And with that, she tore herself from Ashkan's grip and sprinted out the door.

    "Shaye, no!" I exclaimed. "Damn it...!"

    Ashkan and I glanced at one another briefly. I could tell he had the same thought: we had no choice but to go after her. We bolted outside seconds later, eyes locked on Shaye. My legs burned with fatigue, already worn out from training earlier. I couldn't let that slow me down.

    We had nearly caught up to her when we reached the centre of town. I stopped, but only for an instant, to assess my environment. The bomb – or whatever you could call it – was real. Its shrapnel had smashed every window and was embedded in the dirt. A good portion of the market was completely destroyed. I was there not even an hour earlier. The cheerful atmosphere had vanished. A few nearby buildings and structures were also blown to smithereens. Anything that wasn't already reduced to ash was engulfed in flame. Debris was scattered everywhere, some of it unidentifiable. The damage extended far beyond my line of sight. I didn't want to examine any closer.

    "Shaye!" Ashkan yelled over the commotion. He spotted her standing over a pile of rubble, searching for any sign of her brother. We had to shove our way past the oncoming flood of people to reach her.

    She hesitantly turned around. I'd never seen her so panicked. "I-I can't see him anywhere!" I approached her and said nothing. At that moment, with all the turmoil surrounding us, I knew that she didn't want to hear any persuasion or scolding. I wrapped my arms around her comfortingly. She relaxed slightly.

    I tried talking to her. "Cilas is smart; he probably escaped with everyone else. Who knows, he could be back at the house right now."

    She sniffled and wiped her eyes. "You're probably right. I know my brothers better than anyone... He must be safe at home." Her head sunk down. "What am I doing...?" It was no question that Shaye was one of the most caring people I knew. She was always loving and gentle, but she fought valiantly and tirelessly for those she held dear.

    "Let's go before trouble arrives," I said, arm still slung around her shoulder. "Guards will be showing up any second."

    The three of us had nearly gotten away from the mayhem when I noticed movement within the vicinity. It wasn't the fire or the few remaining townsfolk, it felt too disturbing. Ashkan tensed beside me.

    "Damn," he whispered through clenched teeth. His gaze shifted just enough to catch my eye. "There are Inkbloods among us. Watch your step."

    With Ashkan's last statement, my breathing quickened along with my pace. I kept my head low. Each step we took seemed to coax more and more attention upon us. Murky forms emerged from every doorway, gap, and alcove. Their sickeningly delighted faces illuminated under the glow of the fire. They stalked us, men and women alike, as if we were prey. More of them came into view with each passing second. Some had the audacity to stand within arm's length of us. Despite being mostly unnerved, part of me was astonished that not one of them tried to attack. They merely watched, unblinking and unwavering. I remarked the matching brands on each of their throats – a small circle with a hexagon above it, splitting the circle in half horizontally. I couldn't discern what it meant.

    Slowly but surely, Shaye, Ashkan and I dodged around the disciples. We were almost out of this mess. I was careful not to make eye contact. But just when it seemed we had eluded their grasp, one last beastly follower revealed himself from the ruins. He stood much taller and stronger than the rest and was practically towering over me. His boots thumped heavily on the ground. Countless knives lined his belt and armband. His gloves – complete with serrated steel barbs that would reduce flesh to tatters – curled into fists. Finally, he removed the scarf that was partially obscuring his face. Adrenaline shot through me like a bullet with every heartbeat. I felt Shaye grip my arm anxiously. Looming right in front of us, Balgaur twisted his mouth into a devilish grin, chilling the sweat that ran down my spine.

    Remembering where I last saw him, I then understood the significance of the bomb. It was a vicious ploy; a tactic to either eliminate us where we stood or lure us back to where he could finish the job himself. And we did exactly what he wanted.

0