Chapter 14 ~ The Lightning Before the Thunder
5 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

    "Well, well. Look what opportunity came knocking..." Balgaur taunted. His gravelly voice came after several beats of silence, rumbling like thunder. The jeer was met with cackles and hollers. "This realm... A pathetic excuse for a kingdom." More shouts. "They lie to you, and they will continue to do so." He looked straight at me, narrowing his eyes. "You haven't an inkling about the fate of this world. Following blindly to the slaughter."

    While Balgaur continued, I scanned the area, looking for an opening. Something; anything. I was wholly unprepared to defend myself against so many people. There was nothing on me I could use as a weapon. I had no clue where all the guards were. My stomach churned at the thought. Had they all been killed?

        Kadia's voice echoed in my head. Sometimes, you need to get creative with your surroundings.

    To my right, one of Balgaur's followers caught my eye. He was the shortest, the most frail-looking, and had nothing in his hands to pummel us with. The weak link. My heart pounded with both distress and blind hope. I waited until the group had closed in a few more feet. While the others were distracted in listening to their leader, I broke out into a sprint towards him. Nobody reacted for a couple of seconds. It gave me just enough time to barrel through, knock him to the ground, and escape. Blades and fists began swinging wildly. Amidst the commotion, I reached behind me and grabbed Shaye's hand. Ashkan was too far away.

    "What are you doing?!" she gasped, running alongside me. We managed to gain some distance. The disciples were slowed down both by their disbelief and heavy armour, and Balgaur didn't look like much of a sprinter. What scared me was that he didn't seem in any rush.

    "I'm getting us out of here." I whipped my head around frantically, trying to spot Ashkan.

    He was going in the opposite direction. A swarm of devotees stayed hot on his tail, with Balgaur not far behind. Shaye and I had our own horde to flee from, but something in the pit of my stomach was telling me to go after him. We were chased down streets, through alleys, and – consequently – away from Ashkan. Shaye never faltered for even a second, and neither did I. Just when it seemed like we'd have to turn around and fight our way back, I noticed a sharp bend in the road ahead. A stroke of luck.

    I gripped Shaye's hand once more and sped up even faster. My throat felt like sandpaper, desperate for air. We stuck close to the wall, then skidded around the corner. I was overjoyed to see a narrow passageway hidden near us. There was no time to waste. I yanked Shaye into the alley with me and we hid behind a large pile of crates. The disciples came seconds later, furious and bloodthirsty. I dared not move. My lungs burned as I was forced to quiet my breathing. I looked over at Shaye, who was as still and silent as me. Her eyes were squeezed shut and her chest heaved. I gave her shoulder a reassuring pat, which she responded to with a weak smile. By then, the disciples had slowed to a walk outside our alley.

    "How can those girls run so fast?!" one fumed. "Bloody cretins..."

    "Traitors is what they are," another piped up. Others sniggered in agreement, while some simply spat on the ground. As they pressed on with their mockery, an idea popped into my head.

    "Now what are you doing?" Shaye whispered so quietly I could barely hear.

    I just put a finger to my lips and mouthed, "Trust me." Running my hand across the ground, I picked up the biggest stone I could find. I adjusted my footing and peered around the nearest crate. Our pursuers stood just past the mouth of the alley. All backs were turned. I took my chance, slowly pulling my arm back before hurling the rock into a pathway across from us. It struck the dirt and ricocheted off of several barrels with a loud clang.

    We watched the disciples' heads snap towards the sound. One brandished a dagger and began approaching the hallway, and the others quickly followed suit. Shaye and I had to escape before they backtracked.

    "If we're careful, we can sneak by them," I muttered. "Probably..."

    Shaye nodded with slight hesitation before her eyes darted to something behind me. "The doorknob!" she whispered, looking panicked.

    I turned my head to see what she was pointing at. On the other wall of the alley, only a few feet across from us, a wooden door hung ajar. The explosion didn't reach this section of the market. We had run farther than I thought. But even if it had reached it, the building's foundation seemed practically bolted into the ground.

    The door swung open very slowly, stopping so only a ribbon of dimmed light could be seen. We watched as skinny, ring-covered fingers wrapped tentatively around the frame. An olive-undertoned, meek face emerged from the darkness seconds later. He definitely wasn't any older than nineteen. "You okay?"

    Shaye remained frozen, clinging to my coat sleeve. I eyed the stranger skeptically before nodding.

    "Quick, come inside." He glanced out the alley entrance and waved us over.

    I quickly weighed my options. Our pursuers were likely to circle back to us at any moment, and the figure standing in the doorway wasn't very intimidating. I could probably take him if he tries anything, I thought. After ensuring the coast was clear, I ushered Shaye inside the building before slinking in myself.

    It was only seconds before I realized that we were in a tavern. Opaque, rust-toned curtains were drawn tightly across every window. Candlelit lanterns and brass sconces gave barely enough glow to illuminate my surroundings. The room smelled of firewood and liquor. It was pleasantly warm. I squinted as my eyes struggled to adjust. There were plenty of booths and tables around, all empty. Some chairs and stools were knocked over. Against the far wall sat several shelves full of unrecognizable bottles, complete with a long counter just in front. I stepped farther into the room, noticing a large brass contraption beside me that vaguely resembled a phonograph.

    From behind me, the stranger had been busying himself with locking and bolting the door, finishing the job by placing a sealing charm on the mechanisms. He hastily rolled up the sleeves of his collared shirt before turning around. "They shouldn't find you in here. I apologize if I frightened you." He shifted his apricot-coloured eyes towards Shaye at that last part. I noted his almond-shaped pupils and looked him up and down, only then perceiving his pointed ears and smooth, beige horns that curved backwards like Tyrath's. I would've been more on edge had the points not been wrapped in cloth.

    "Not at all," I replied. "Thank you for the help. Truly."

    "The name's Elliott," he blurted out, his freckled cheeks turning pink. There was a gap between his two front teeth. "Elliott Tiaxin."

    "Nice to meet you. I'm Brielle," I said. "This is Shaye."

    Elliott then proceeded to give each of us the most delicate handshake I've ever received. The rings on his fingers were cold. He pushed his round, umber glasses up the bridge of his nose before continuing. "Um, welcome to The Roaring Witch. This is my mother's tavern. I was just cleaning up when I heard the explosion. Those scoundrels..."

    "We're looking for my brother," Shaye interjected. "Have you seen him? Much taller than me, reddish-orange hair?"

    Elliott nodded, caramel curls falling across his eyes. "He was here when they attacked. I didn't think it was safe outside, so I let him stay here. He's, um, downstairs with–"

    Shaye took off in a sprint before he could finish. Behind the counter at the back, a heavy door was propped open, with cobblestone stairs leading down into murk. I gave Elliott a semi-apologetic look before going after Shaye. Upon reaching the basement, I was relieved to see her embracing her brother. He appeared completely unharmed.

    "My stars, what are you doing here?!" Cilas exclaimed, arms spread wide.

    Shaye released him from the hug. "Looking for you, you git!"

    "You could've been hurt!"

    "And you as well!"

    I smiled. They were back to normal. Suddenly, I heard shuffling behind me as a hand landed on my shoulder.

    A familiar voice rang in my ears. "Dear gods, I'm glad to see you two."

    I nearly jumped out of my skin. When I turned around, I was greeted by Ashkan, who immediately removed his hand upon seeing my startled reaction.

    I resisted the urge to grab him out of relief. "How long have you been here?!"

    "Not long. Managed to outrun them. I was about to go searching for you lot."

    I wasn't sure what to say. "No need. We're fine, thanks to Elliott."

    Ashkan just nodded and leaned against the wall, watching me with a blank expression. I looked back at him. He was exhausted, and logically so, but something was off. His face was paler than normal – it was like he wasn't actually seeing me. A well-known, metallic scent attacked my nostrils, exuding from the area on my shoulder where his hand had been.

    Elliott came down the stairs with a candlestick in hand and proceeded to light several large candelabra around the inky cellar. The flame of each wick reflected off of not only Ashkan's clammy face but also the drops of blood he was standing over.

    I couldn't hold back my shock. "Oh my god, what happened?!"

    His right arm and leg were trickling with blood, almost half of his clothes stained deep red. I could barely spot two large gashes in his upper arm and some sort of puncture wound in his thigh amongst the mess.

    "They managed to catch me...for a bit... I didn't think it was this bad." He was still speaking, which was a good sign, but he had to take pauses to catch his breath.

    "It's bad, Ashkan," I replied, stunned at his apathy. "You need to be treated, now. C'mon, the infirmary isn't far from here."

    "I'm fine," he retorted. "Besides, how do you expect us to leave this place with Balgaur and his minions scouring around for us?"

    I didn't respond. The guards never showed up. He was right, but there had to be a way. He couldn't stay like this for much longer. At this point, everyone was crowded around him in worry. Shaye looked as if she was going to collapse from anxiety, all while Ashkan kept apologizing to Elliott for getting blood on his floor. Cilas ran upstairs and returned with several clean rags. The makeshift tourniquets managed to slow the bleeding immensely.

    Shaye clutched Ashkan's hand. "We need to get you to Lunellia. Can you walk?"

    He pushed himself away from the wall. "Yes, of course I can walk–" he began, before wincing and falling over instantly upon shifting to his injured leg. The only movement he could maintain was a jerky gait.

    "Absolutely not," Shaye sighed. "You'll just do more damage that way." She walked over to Ashkan and gently pulled him up, wrapping her arm around his torso and placing one arm across her shoulders. "Brielle, would you mind supporting his other side?"

    I quickly mimicked Shaye's posture on Ashkan's right, being careful not to disturb his already wounded arm as I lifted it over my head. It felt strange being this close to him – as if I was giving him a side-hug – and I could tell that he was purposely avoiding eye contact, but I dismissed those thoughts due to the seriousness of the situation. Without hurrying, Shaye and I guided Ashkan out of the cellar while supporting him as much as possible. Elliott peeked through every window to scout for danger as we made our way to the door. He couldn't see anything. I wasn't sure whether to be more comforted that the Inkbloods had fled or more disturbed about why there were no guards around. We said our goodbyes to him, promising to visit sometime.

    Cilas led us outside and stood protectively in front. We stumbled through town for fifteen minutes before reaching the infirmary, having Cilas search every area before we followed. Oddly, there was no danger in sight. Save for the rubble and debris, it's as if the incident never happened. They left behind no trace. People were already starting to rebuild and clear away the wreckage, using magic to levitate bricks and reassemble windows. I couldn't help but feel responsible for this chaos. On top of the explosion, seeing Ashkan legitimately injured made me realize how real this was.

    "Holding up okay?" I questioned, turning my head to him. He was silent the entire trip. As we kept moving, I noticed the white cloth on his leg slowly seep crimson. He winced again as he finally met my gaze, sucking in air sharply through his teeth. I knew he was in a lot of pain, but he didn't want to show it – a very typical habit of his.

     "I'm just superb," he said, smirking faintly. Briefly silenced by his glaring sarcasm, I soon began laughing at his cheeky expression. He chuckled. At least he was feeling well enough to joke around.


    "I expect the full recovery period to be about two to three weeks. You'll be moving around fine within ten days." Lunellia surveyed her clipboard once more and added some notes with a quill. "I'd like you to stay in the infirmary's care for a few days, Mr. Wroet'by, so we may ensure your well-being. Is that all right?"

    Ashkan nodded begrudgingly from where he sat atop a crisp white bed. The room was surprisingly spacious, boasting a high ceiling and large, stained glass windows for the sunlight to enter. Shaye had to go home with Cilas shortly after we arrived. The sun was beginning to set, and Cilas was more vigilant than ever. They likely wanted to check up on the rest of their family back home. Shaye seemed a little tired from helping Ashkan, and I didn't blame her; my legs were aching. Lunellia and two other nurses tended to Ashkan straight away. They cleaned and bandaged his wounds, gave him a change of clothes, and admitted him to a room all within twenty minutes.

    I stood at the foot of Ashkan's bed after waiting for him to change, arms crossed. He already looked better – much less pale. His leg needed a liquid adhesive to heal properly, which apparently closed wounds faster than stitches or staples. I just hoped he was feeling more comfortable. I wondered if I could've done something to prevent this. Maybe it was my fault he was injured. Maybe I was too reckless.

    "I'm really sorry," I told him. "Me rushing that guy and starting a fight is what caused this." I instantly got a sense of déjà vu from when I busted my lip, except the shoe was on the other foot. I almost made a joke about us both getting hurt because of one another, but stopped myself, knowing that his condition was much worse than mine ever was.

    Ashkan sat up higher and shook his head. "No need to be sorry." There was sincerity in his voice. He was quoting what I said to him when our roles were reversed. "I honestly don't know how we would've escaped otherwise. Realistically, we weren't all going to come out unscathed."

    But you got more than the brunt of it... I shrugged my shoulders, noticing his look of unease pointed in my direction.

    "I should be the one making an apology. Your shirt is ruined," he said.

    "It's a shirt, Ashkan." I reassured him before even turning to look in the mirror. "Even if I can't get the blood out, I have plenty more clothes at Kadia's."

        My reflection was indeed exactly what I expected to see. The loose grey blouse I was wearing had small red splotches on the shoulder and collar. It was outmatched only by the black overcoat I'd had on, which was now lying on the armchair in the corner, bearing larger bloodstains in the same area. Even my hair, despite being tied in a low ponytail, got a scarlet tinge at the back, exactly where Ashkan's wound pressed against it. Essentially, I looked like a walking crime scene. I glanced at Ashkan through the mirror, who was watching me nervously. It's like he was expecting me to freak out. I felt bad.

    "Don't look at me like that." I walked over and took a seat on the corner of the bed, being careful not to crowd him. He looked away. "A shirt is replaceable. You're not."

    At that statement, Ashkan tore his gaze from the window. He furrowed his brow and scanned my face as if searching for something. Some colour returned to his cheeks. There was an unusual intensity in his eyes, a sort of heaviness, that I'd never seen from him before.

    "I don't understand," he mumbled.

    "Don't understand what?"

    "Why...are you...this patient?"

    I blinked, turned away, and started fiddling with the buttons on my sleeve. Everything got so awkward all of a sudden. How was I supposed to answer? I was patient towards him because he hadn't done anything bad to me. Because he was someone who'd had some rough times. I knew that he was kind, deep down – it was simply hidden behind a wall.

    "How haven't I driven you mad already?" he continued.

    "I guess," I began, "I try to be nice to everyone. And...everybody's different... But we all deserve kindness. You're no exception." I was struggling to communicate my thoughts in a way that wouldn't make him feel pitied. "I'm not great with words..."

    A moment of silence passed. I felt Ashkan shift in his bed. He chuckled quietly. I peered at him, unsure if he felt as tense as I did. It didn't seem like it.

    "Maybe that question was too forward," he said.

    "No, it's okay. Just caught me off guard a little."

    He pulled his legs out from under the sheets and crossed them, leaning closer to me. "I know I'm hard to get along with. And curt, and stubborn... It can be troubling for me to speak openly."

    "That's okay," I repeated. "You were never mean, just a little...distant. And we all have faults. At least you have the ability to admit them. A lot of people don't, and they go through life wondering why they have no friends."

    Ashkan chuckled again, flinching as he moved his bandaged arm to smooth his hair. It was all tangled and dishevelled. "Thanks for staying and listening to me ramble. You really shouldn't have... I'm never all mawkish like this."

    I shook my head and got up. "Don't mention it. Listen, I'm going to let you rest. You must be drained."

    "Okay. Until tomorrow." He rubbed his eyes sleepily, which had already started forming dark circles.

    Lunellia came in as I was exiting to check up on Ashkan before nightfall. She examined his wounds, gave him a blanket and brought something to eat. I still felt guilty about him being in this plight and I thought about it all the way back to Earth. Regardless, I was glad to see him start to open up a little. I lingered by the doorframe for a moment longer, watching him poke a spoon into a bowl of what resembled porridge. He looked over at me one last time and smiled softly. I grinned and waved as I left.

    A whole new side of him appeared that night. Maybe it was because we had to spend so much time together over the last few months, but sometimes when we were in each other's company, he would strike up a conversation on his own, like he was taking an interest in me. It's difficult to describe because it was much like discovering something new – an understanding that he's always had this side of him, I just had yet to witness it.


    I padded down the hallway, barefoot, the noise being amplified by the emptiness of the house. Both of my parents were at work for the day – which I was grateful for. It would have been pretty weird with both them and Luke there. He had sent me a text earlier saying that he was almost at my house, and that everyone just called him by his nickname so I might as well do the same.

    The weather had finally broken from its blazing heatwave to a more mild temperature, with a cool breeze to complement it. I opened some windows in the living room to let the fresh air in. My hair was tied up to keep my neck from sweating.

    "Hey, come on in," I said, swinging open the front door.

    Luke removed his hands from his pockets and smiled at me. "Hello." He stepped inside cautiously and slipped off his sneakers. I closed the door behind him and watched as he looked around the living room. "Your house is huge..." he trailed off, clutching the straps of his backpack.

    "Ah, thanks..." I sat down on the sofa and opened my laptop. He sat beside me. "How've you been?" I asked.

    He tilted his head to each side. "Pretty good. My uncle's kinda been on my case lately, but that's nothing new."

    "Oh? About what?"

    He shrugged and chuckled. "It's always something with him. He's not all bad, but I'd move out if I could." He turned to me, and as he did so, a stray piece of espresso-coloured hair fell onto his forehead. "Know what I mean?"

    I nodded. "I can't complain, honestly. My parents are out working all the time and I don't have any siblings, so most of the time it's just me at home."

    "I'm an only child too," Luke continued. "I don't know if it'd be better or worse if I had siblings. The nagging would be divided, but...I wouldn't want anyone else to be subjected to my uncle's irritability."

    "Yeah, I get it. Seriously, if you ever need a break, you can always come over." I gave him a small smile.

    He grinned. "Thanks. I might just take you up on that offer sometime."

    We probably talked for about an hour before actually doing our schoolwork. I was surprised. Luke was so chill and easy to talk to that I lost track of time.  He seemed like a very curious person and he would ask me questions about myself and my opinions. I was definitely out of my element.

    The problem was that our conversation went on and on and we both kept getting distracted. But I wasn't sure if I cared or not. I was also learning things about him, like the reason why he lives with his uncle is that his dad is a long-distance truck driver and his mom is an international travelling nurse. I guess we connected over our similar experiences with frequently absent parents.

    Luke was a lot smarter than he let on. We finished our chemistry assignment in no time, and he was grasping every concept for the test. Sometimes I'd read a section of the textbook and he'd casually jot down notes as I spoke. I watched him for a few seconds as he scribbled in his notebook. He was slightly hunched over, with the breeze ruffling his hair and the sunlight making his eyes squint.

    I was reminded of my conversation with Ashkan the day before. How awkward it was, initially, and then how quickly the tension dissipated. It meant a lot to me, I think. I had finally cracked his shell. Was he being honest? Maybe he was just in an unusually calm mood. Did I have any influence on it?

    "I should get going," Luke spoke up, shattering the cyclone of thoughts swirling in my brain. "My uncle hates it when I'm gone for a long time. Thanks so much for the help! I feel way better about this test."

    "Oh, it's nothing." I handed him his textbook. "Did you walk here?"

    "Yep. I'm fairly close by."

    I followed him to the door. "Okay. See you Monday!"

    He smiled again. "See you around, Chloe."

    The door shut with a click and I was left once more in a vacant house. It was nice having a voice other than mine echo off these walls. I pressed my palms against the window. Maybe I didn't want him to leave just yet.


    The chemistry test came and went, with both Luke and I feeling confident about it. He was a great study partner, and we were starting to talk more often. I continued my life as per usual. Another week was coming to a close. Ashkan was discharged from the hospital on Thursday, and he could finally move around almost normally. I visited him every day while he was at the infirmary, for as long as I could. At first, I thought it would be too much, but he seemed fine with it. I knew how boring hospitals could get when you're not allowed to leave.

    With the Nyvar Festival being just two days away – on Saturday – Shaye had been giving me dance lessons so I could learn the traditional steps. I spent the whole week prancing and twirling. Needless to say, I was less than enthused.

    Shaye cleared out the furniture in her garden to make a large, circular dance floor. Ashkan leaned against a trellis, and I sat atop the mossy half-wall, both of us observing Shaye carefully.

    "Why exactly must I be present for this?" Ashkan interjected.

    "Because," Shaye replied, "you haven't attended the Nyvar Festival in ages. All eyes will be on us that night, whether we like it or not, and your dancing certainly needs refining."

    He sighed in exasperation.

    "One, two, three, one, two, three..." Shaye counted each beat in time with the music, which was a waltz-style, vaguely Baroque track with beautiful string instrumentals and other musical tones I didn't recognize. She positioned her arms to where they would be on her partner and began dancing. I already knew that Shaye had impeccable posture and was basically the dictionary definition of grace, but seeing her dance was something else entirely. Every point on her body was controlled, from her toes to her fingertips.

    "Now you try," she said to me when the song ended.

    I scoffed. "It's not going to be anywhere near that good."

    "Nonsense. That's why we're practicing. You have a great sense of rhythm already. It's all the sections you learned earlier, just put together." She walked over to the phonograph-like system and pulled a small lever to reset it. Before the music started again, she paused. "Actually, why don't you join in, Ashkan? Brielle should have a partner for this. I can catch any mistakes more easily if I have a wide perspective."

    I turned to Shaye and whispered, "Is that really necessary...?"

    She nodded firmly. I knew this wasn't up for debate.

    Ashkan didn't move a muscle. "Mm, no thanks, I think I'd rather just watch." Shaye angled her head towards him, her eyes shooting daggers. He groaned, slowly ambled over, and stood in front of me. "Are you okay with this?"

    "Sure." I shrugged, trying my hardest not to think too much.

    "We can skip the bow and curtsy. Start with hand placements," Shaye instructed. "Just like I taught you, Brielle."

    Hesitantly, I placed my left hand on Ashkan's shoulder, careful not to disturb the bandages underneath his shirt.

    She circled us. "Go on, then."

    Ashkan reached tentatively and took my right hand in his left before positioning his other hand on the small of my back. His palm felt slightly warm. I stared at my feet and quickly squeezed my eyes shut in an effort to shake off all the weirdness.

    "All right, that's good. Ashkan, you're slouching a bit. Fix your shoulders. And Brielle, try to give more structure to your arms so they don't just hang."

    I looked up at Ashkan. "You're still healing, so let me know if you start to get sore."

    "I'll be fine," he assured.

    Shaye pressed a button and the music began. Like most classical pieces, it started slow and simple. I concentrated on remembering which step came next as the song went on. To my surprise, Ashkan was actually pretty good, just a little rough around the edges. I was nailing every step so far, and it became muscle memory after a while. We danced smoothly in a circle for a bit. Then the music started picking up. The orchestra rose to a crescendo and I really had to focus. There were plenty of toe taps and head turns and little details, as well as specific hand and foot placements.

    "Good, very good!" Shaye clapped her hands. "One, two, and turn... Now look this way, yes... Then change direction, stand on your tiptoes, and back to normal..."

    Ashkan spun me around, his arm soaring above my head. I turned outwards and extended my arm, but trampled his foot on the way back in.

    "Damn, sorry!" I exclaimed.

    "Don't worry about it," he laughed, "just keep going."

    I took a deep breath and settled back into the cadence. The song was almost over.

    Shaye continued to scrutinize us and offer tips. "Very nice. Be a little lighter on your feet, Brielle. Almost like you're floating. ...And then right here at this upcoming note would be the lift, but you don't have to–"

    "Whoa!" Tensing up, I yelped in shock as Ashkan held my waist and swiftly lifted me in the air, turning us in a semi-circle simultaneously. I planted my hands on his shoulders due to the sudden loss of balance. He set me back down gently, giving Shaye a confused look.

    "I thought we were practicing the entire dance," he said nonchalantly.

    "Yes, but the lift is very simple..." she trailed off. "Oh, well. It doesn't matter. I suppose you have a point."

    "Sorry if I startled you," he said to me, stepping back. "Didn't mean to toss ya... You're lighter than I expected." His expression switched abruptly from calm to embarrassed. "Er, that is, you don't look heavy, I just meant..." He scowled to himself as his face developed a pink tint.

    I tucked a strand of hair behind my ear, looking for a way to divert this conversation. "It's okay. No worries; I was more concerned about your shoulder. I kind of pressed on it."

    "It's aching, but not too badly."

    Shaye came over and patted my arm. "Maybe that's enough for today, then. You two did very well. The dance will be sublime, I just know it!"

    "How can you be so sure?" I sprawled out on a nearby chair.

    "Because you match the skill level of everybody else, at the very least. And blunders happen now and then, so don't agonize over it and just enjoy yourself!" She smiled brightly.

    I pursed my lips. "I'd just hate to annoy my partner."

    "Oh, worry not about that," she replied, with an indiscernible twinkle in her eye.

    "What do you mean?"

    She clasped her hands behind her back. "Well, there's been some...strain with finding you a dance partner," I cringed at that part, "–none of which was your fault – so I told you I would help you. And I have."

    My eyes widened and I sat up in my seat. Even Ashkan looked intrigued. Truthfully, I had completely forgotten that I was supposed to ask around. I couldn't decide whether to be thankful that I didn't have to search for a partner on my own, or mortified that there was so much difficulty and Shaye felt she had to take care of it for me.

    "Allowing you to attend by your lonesome was simply unfeasible." She paced around the garden, looking pleased with herself. Her cheeks dimpled and her arms swung back and forth.

    I pushed myself up off the chair and planted my hands on my hips. "You didn't force him, did you?"

    "Of course not! He was rather excited to attend, actually. And he's an impressive ballroom dancer."

    "Does he know that I can't dance?"

    "Rubbish! You certainly can. And he's no braggart; he won't disgrace you." Shaye grinned enthusiastically.

    I sank back into my seat. I didn't know how Shaye managed to find me a partner, let alone one that seemed genuinely nice. There was a little part of me that wondered if he'd be disappointed when we met. "Okay... So who is it?"

0