15. The Painting
60 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Everkind,” the captain’s face beams with happiness, “Very well, I shall see to it that it is written in the registry,”

Garth shakes his head, “No need,” Garth puts the book back on the bed, “I shall personally sign on it, have the couriers send the official paperwork to the Congress,” Garth gestures at Barth who was still hugging him longingly, Barth then released his wrapped arms, “Barth, I leave the book to you,”

Barth sniffles and nods as he gives Garth some space to walk.

“Let me assist you, my lord,” the captain makes way for Garth with his crutches.

Garth grins, “My legs are broken, not my youth but If you must then let’s get going,” He walks with the captain, but before he can exit the room, he turns to us, “Hearth, I trust you will inform the housekeepers?”

“Oh, I will do that then, brother,” Hearth follows Garth out, “Arys, we’ll be back, I must tell the keepers to prepare for a ball,” she said, “I will make sure lady Amelia is invited!” she winks before stepping out.

Garth and Hearth, along with the captain, walk out of the room, leaving the door slowly closed by itself. Barth clears his throat, he isn’t showing his face to me, but he takes his moment to reorient and wipe his face before grabbing the book.

“Right, then, I’ll be off as well,” Barth said in his usual tone, “Arys, you recover fast, else you will miss the ceremony! Exciting, isn’t it?”

“Barth, wait,” I said, I reached for his shoulders to get his attention.

“What?” Barth’s bored expression irritates me, “I won’t help you with your potty, Arys, have the healer’s assistants help you!”

I grunt, “No, I don’t need help taking ‘potty’ thank you very much,” I adjust my body once more to get comfortable, “I just want to ask a few questions,”

Barth’s brows signal uninterest, “What?”

“Remember the artwork, the painting you commissioned?” I said, trying to describe it better, “A portrait of our parents?”

“Yes, what of it?”

“I want to know who–” I try to correct myself, “Or rather, I would like to know where you commissioned it?”

Barth scoffs, flipping through pages in the book he’s holding, “Why, are you going to commission a portrait of lady Amelia?”

“Funny,” I roll my eyes, “So, where?”

“I asked why,” Barth smirks, side-eyes at me, “My friends, they’re… expensive, I doubt you can afford them anyway.”

I let out a loud groan, “Can’t you just tell me?”

 “Fine,” Barth sighs, closing the book he’s been fiddling with, “His name is Adi, he’s a very old artist from the city of Godglade. It was a tribute since he was friends with Papa, one of his mates. He was at the funeral, you should’ve told me, I could’ve requested a painting of you with lady Amelia,”

“Stop with lady Amelia, for gods’ sake! I am not doing this for that girl. So, please,” I said.

Barth shrugs contemptibly, “Whatever. Now tell me why you’re asking for an old artist’s name?”

“Nothing, I just thought it was very detailed.”

“Indeed it was, but so what? Gods, are you interested in the arts now?” Barth bares his teeth, ready to mock me.

“No, no, I am just curious. Godglade you say, where’s that?” I continue my questions.

“Gods, Arys! Please, do not pursue an artistic education, you’re showered with wealth, so why waste time studying oil paints and canvasses when you can just get the validation you want from fellow rich, albeit dumber, folk?” Barth begs, it appears he has prepared to say that.

“What’s this sudden disdain of art?” I find his affliction very stupid, “Just answer, please, where is Godglade, and why there?”

Barth shakes his body, initially refusing to answer, “It’s the regional capital you dummy,” his voice cracks, “In every region, there’s one city, usually it’s the regional capital! Godglade is a city obsessed with culture and arts, their college rivals the Academy,” he said while holding my hands, “Please, do not enroll there, I got plans for you!”

I remove my hands from him, “Enough! I don’t plan to nor do I have the plan to enroll anywhere yet.” I massaged my hands, “Now, tell me… is someone important living there?”

“Huh? What kind of question is that, of course, someone important lives in Godglade!” Barth's usual mocking tone resumes, “The Lord of Godglade region lives there!” 

“Eh, of course…” I try to hide my disappointment and denseness, “W-who is the Lord of Godglade?”

“Oh my Gods, Arys, you need to get back with your reading! You’re practically a noble now,” Barth chuckles mockingly, “Lord Rembrandt rules the land of Godglade, the city is named after the region, and the city is the center of the region! It is the trading hub for every town and village including the one we are in right now,”

“Right…” I cautiously try to follow up my question, “But who is Lord Rembrandt?”

Barth burst into laughter while pointing at me, “Look, Arys, I feel so sorry for you! Lord Rembrandt is the regional sovereign, he is the man that the Barons answer to!”

I bide my time, waiting for him to stop laughing, “Yeah, but is he related to someone… legendary?”

“Legendary?” he suddenly stops.

“Yes?”

Barth scoffs once more, “I don’t know, all nobility thinks they’re related to someone mythical, it makes them feel special, do you understand? They think it gives them divine right to have titles and stuff. Why are you asking?”

“I just thought I could get a really good painter to do a portrait of a really legendary figure, you see,”

“How? You’re going to describe it to the artist?” Barth yawns, he is starting to get bored.

“Yes,” I said, “You think it will work?” 

Barth slowly shakes his head, “I don’t know, who is this legendary figure you’re talking about?”

I thought about the right words, I didn’t want to say it was my father from the past life, “Someone who saved the world?”

“Arys, there are countless legendary heroes out there, all of them claimed they saved the world. We have countless wars and battles with self-serving heroes of their own story. We got ten Resurrection Wars for gods’ sake!” Barth sits on a chair as he lectures me.

“I was hoping I could find someone… with the help of a painter, I bet it will make my search easier if I have a portrait to show to people,” I massaged the back of my head, I realized my quest to find out who’s my father in the long list of heroes of this world is going to be difficult.

Barth narrows his gaze, “You’re eight years old, what kind of person you’re after, who is this person you’re looking for?”

“Uh, someone… from my dreams?”

“What? What does this person look like?” Barth sounds like he couldn’t believe it.

“Uh, brown hair, sharp chin, long nose, and uh…” I choked while thinking, “Well it’s hard to tell the specifics!”

He scratched the bridge of his nose, “Yeah, you need artists that can help you with that…”

“You think I can find someone who can help me find this person?”

Barth breaks his gaze, “Good luck with that. There are a lot of people out there, you haven’t even been outside of town. Evereal is a big world.” he ruffles my hair, “You’re still young, go play with other kids or something, don’t go to the city without a guardian.”

“You literally talk with old people,” I grin as I try to fix my hair.

Barth pulls the door open, “But still, don’t get any ideas, Hearth will be furious if she finds out you learned all about it from me,” he is about to leave, but before he does, he steps inside a bit, “But if you want to talk with Adi, he’s still in town. He’s currently staying at one of our guestrooms. So, I suggest you get yourself healed quickly. He’s going to stay until the ceremony!”

I wave at him and he returns the gesture as he walks away, leaving the door wide open, it didn’t swing back.

“Adi…?” I whispered to myself. I wonder how old Barth claims he is. As I pondered the description I would tell the artist in case they could help me, I realized the afternoon bustle had slowed down.

I watched random people walk by and do their business. I closely studied their faces and practiced describing their features to myself. It is a tiring thing. Especially when in my past life, I didn’t even bother looking at people’s faces. Eye contact terrifies me.

“I need to go outside more…” I said while wondering what my father in the past life looked like. Will he look any different in this world? I hope my description of his face from my past helps.

My stomach suddenly grumbles, and I pause.

“Hungry…”

1