Chapter 17
1 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 17

 

Krok towered over the adventurers and his self confidence was apparent. The adventurers each began to ready their weapons as the tension began to rise.

 

“You three didn’t stand a chance before yet you think you can make a difference now just because you brought three more helpers?” Krok asked. “I seem to recall killing several guards before defeating you three the last time we met. This will be even easier than that.”

 

“Things are different this time,” Zayd declared. “We will win!”

 

Krok snickered. “Oh you foolish boy. I’m going to enjoy killing you all.” He raised his hands and clenched his fists. “Allow me to demonstrate for you.”

 

“Get ready guys he’s gonna strike!” Zayd shouted out. 

 

Krok suddenly rushed towards Zayd with his fist held back. He quickly closed the gap between them and swung the full force of his arm at Zayd. Dust spread out as a gust of wind shot from the attack. When the dust was settled, the other adventurers looked on to see Gohvo standing between Zayd and Krok with his metal shield bracing in front of him. He had absorbed the full force of the attack.

 

“Gohvo you did it!” Zayd shouted out. “You blocked him!”

 

Hiang quickly followed up with an attack from behind but Krok noticed and turned to block it. The other adventurers wasted no time in joining the assault. 

 

Milly and Ivory began launching a barrage of ranged attacks at Krok’s openings while he was busy parrying and dodging attacks from Zayd and Hiang.

 

Gohvo helped when he could by blocking the attacks he could and attacking when he had an opening that didn’t risk hurting Zayd or Hiang.

 

It was obvious that Krok had his hands a bit more full than the last time they had met. However, he still posed a massive threat to the group.

 

“We're keeping up with him this time, at least!” Zayd announced. “We can do this!” He lifted his ax high and swung it down with intense force. “Chop!”

 

At the same time Hiang had prepared his own skill attack and was promptly driving his katana through the air towards Krok.

 

The mad gnoll brute swung his arms out and blocked both attacks. However, Gohvo was prepared for that and followed up with a Piercing Strike from his spear. 

 

Krok turned just in time to see the attack coming. With his arms occupied he was forced to kick the Soldier. He tried to reach the gnoll with his spear but Krok's legs were long and stretched out longer than Gohvo’s reach. The Soldier went flying back and Krok quickly tossed the others towards him. 

 

The three adventurers cried out in pain as they clashed. However, they were given time to recover as Milly and Ivory were free to open a barrage of ranged attacks with their allies out of the way. 

 

Krok was immediately met with a hail fire of arrows and Occult magic. His thick hide absorbed most of the damage but it wasn't enough to leave him without injuries. He dashed towards them but was quickly met with Hiang, whose astounding speed allowed him to swiftly close the gap.

 

Hiang swiped his blade across Krok's back, causing him to lose focus of Milly and Ivory. 

 

Zayd regained composure and promptly followed suit while Krok was focused on Hiang. 

 

“That's it!” Milly yelled out. “We're confusing him!”

 

“She's right!” Ivory announced. “It's harder for him to calculate the moves of someone he's not looking at! Keep it up, guys!”

 

Krok began to take attack after attack as Zayd, Gohvo, and Hiang began taking turns attacking the gnoll, each from separate angles. Meanwhile, Milly and Ivory used the openings they had to fire shots at Krok.

 

However, Krok still managed to get his punches in. Everytime one of the adventurers went in for an attack, Krok would prepare to retaliate. When he would go for his retaliation, another adventurer would jump in to attack so that his focus would break. This went on again and again, draining him of his vitality and increasing his frustration. 

 

Krok grew angrier and angrier and eventually burst into a rage. The sheer energy from it pushed the three back and allowed Krok a window of opportunity. He burst forth with sheer intensity and picked Gohvo up by his chainmail and lifted him high. “You three want a fight? Fine, I'll give you one!”

 

“Put him down!” Zayd shouted at him as he launched an attack at Krok.

 

The brute swung the Soldier down right into Zayd and followed up by kicking them, sending them both flying. 

 

Hiang attempted to attack first, in hopes of getting a strike in before Krok could. However, it was to no avail as Krok quickly dodged out of the way of Hiang’s Ippon Uchi ability. Krok took hold of the Duelist’s arm and lifted him high.

 

“Now let me show you what I can do!” Krok took his fist and pounded it into Hiang’s side.

 

“Aaaagh!” Hiang screamed out in pain as he coughed up blood. The force from the punch paralyzed him.

 

“Look at you. How pathetic...” Krok tossed him to the side and turned towards Milly and Ivory. Before he could approach them, Zayd and Gohvo appeared. “Now why won't you two stay down?”

 

“I gotta admit it's pretty amazing being able to take on his attacks this time!” Zayd announced. “We sure have gotten stronger since last time!”

 

“It's because I've been healing you!” Tum the Acolyte pointed out. “I've been keeping your injuries down.”

 

“Oh…that actually makes sense…” Zayd lowered his head.

 

Krok chuckled to himself. “So, that's how you little pups have been managing to keep getting back up…”

 

“That's right! You'd best be certain that with me here, my allies aren't staying down!” Tum smiled and nodded towards Hiang, who had begun to stand back up.

 

“Thanks for that, Tum,” Hiang said.

 

Krok glanced back at the Duelist and snickered. “So I just need to kill you first then?” He turned his gaze back towards Tum and stared at him menacingly.

 

“Huh?!” Tum recoiled with fear as Krok gaze pierced through him. “B-but-”

 

“Don't worry, Tum!” Gohvo stood between Tum and Krok. “None of us are dying here today and he's not gonna touch you. I won't allow it!”

 

Krok continued to laugh to himself. “I just realized you've all been showing me neat little tricks since we started fighting. But I've yet to show you all anything.” He flared out his claws, revealing nails as long as daggers. “Allow me to show you my Rabid Claws!” 

 

Krok launched himself towards Gohvo. The Soldier braced himself for impact as he raised his shield high. Before Krok got close enough to strike, he launched himself in the air and jumped high over Gohvo. The mad brute landed right behind Tum and proceeded to drive his claws right into the Acolyte’s back.

 

Tum instantly cried out in pain as the others looked on with terror in their eyes. Gohvo slowly turned to witness his fellow companion standing there helplessly as blood gushed from his wounds.

 

“Yes, yes that's good. Watch as I devour your friend!” Krok drove his fangs deep into the flesh of Tum’s neck and tore a chunk of flesh from him. 

 

“Nooo!” Gohvo and Hiang collectively cried out in horror. They instantly rushed towards Krok to attack.

 

The gnoll brute tossed Tum to the side like a ragdoll and launched himself into the air again. This time he landed right next to Hiang.

 

“Leave him alone!” Gohvo cried out.

 

Hiang attempted to swipe his blade at the gnoll but Krok swiftly grabbed hold of his arm and crushed it like a twig. Hiang's terrifying screams rang through the air. He collapsed instantly and watched as his forearm just crumpled and folded over on its own weight.

 

Krok stood over him, staring down at the helpless adventurer. Zayd and Gohvo burst forth with intent to stop him but it was too late. Krok’s claws swiped away and blood shot forth through the air. Hiang fell over in a lifeless position and lay motionless. 

 

“Nooo!” Gohvo shouted out yet again. He fell to his knees from what he had just witnessed. 

 

“Tum! Hiang!” Zayd yelled out. “How could you do this to them, Krok?!”

 

“Do you see now, pup?” Krok asked him. “You don’t stand a chance. None of you do.”

 

“You’re…wrong…” Gohvo stared at the ground, with his palms stretched out along the ground. Tears dripped down from his eyes as he shook his head. “You monster…I’ll defeat you…”

 

Krok mockingly laughed at his misery. “You won’t defeat me, boy. None of you possess the strength to defeat me.”

 

“Aaaagh!” Zayd sprinted forth and launched himself at Krok. 

 

The gnoll howled proudly and raised his arm up in retaliation. Zayd was forced to raise his shield before Krok could land a direct hit on him. His shield absorbed the entirety of the blow but not before sending Zayd flying back. 

 

“Ahahaha! Take that little adventurer!” Krok mocked him.

 

During that attack, Milly and Ivory had prepared a sneak attack of their own and launched a massive conjoined attack at Krok. Ivory combined her Black Orb with one of Milly’s Long Shots and together they projected it towards him.

 

Krok braced himself and raised both of his arms up in front of him. The entirety of the attack collided with Krok but he held his ground as the sheer force of magical energy attempted to overpower him. “Ahahaha! Your attacks are nothing compared to my might!”

 

“For Tum! For Hiang!” Gohvo rose himself from the ground and charged at Krok. “Piercing Strike!

 

Krok’s eyes shot open as the spear pierced his tough hide. “Agghh!” His focus was broken and the spell began to wrap around him like a cocoon. 

 

“Get back Gohvo!” Ivory shouted out as she lifted her tome into the air. “Doom Particles!” 

 

Tiny black orbs began to form around Krok as he cried out in pain.

 

Milly stepped forward and kneeled down on one knee. She aimed her bow directly at the brute and let loose her arrows. “Triple Arrow!”

 

Her arrows shot forth towards their target while the black magical orbs launched themselves at Krok. In an explosive display, the spells collided with their target and Krok screamed out in terrible agony.

 

“You did it!” Zayd proclaimed. “You defeated him!”

 

Ivory collapsed to the ground. “I hope so…my mana is nearly spent…”

 

“Are you ok, Ivory?” Milly approached her and helped her to feet. “I think we got him…”

 

Suddenly, a voice began to snicker away. They all turned to see the dust begin to settle upon Krok only to reveal him lift himself up from the ground with a grin upon his face. 

 

“You haven’t defeated me…” Krok removed the spear from his side and snapped it upon his leg. He turned his gaze towards Gohvo. Before anyone could react, Krok dashed forward with great speed and hurled his claw at Gohvo. “Rabid Claws!”

 

“No! Gohvo, get out of the way!” Zayd cried out but it was too late. 

 

Krok lifted Gohvo in the air and the adventurers looked on in horror as his body slowly slid down the gnoll’s arm. The mad brute had burst a hole through the poor Soldier’s chest. Krok swiped his arm and sent the body hurtling towards the ground. He turned around to see the three bodies lying upon the ground and three more for him to claim nearby. 

 

Krok stepped forth and laughed at the adventurer’s folly. “How did you all picture this going today? Did you think you would just walk up to me and defeat me as if it were childsplay? Did the beating I gave you before cause your memory to wipe?”

 

The mad brute squinted his eyes and tilted his head as he realized the expression upon Milly and Ivory’s faces. They appeared frightened and worried but not of him…they seemed to be staring at something else. Krok turned his gaze and saw Zayd. The young Fighter appeared to be out of it. His demeanor appeared angry and his eyes looked ferocious. Krok watched as the leaves around Zayd began to rise up and float around him.

 

“Zayd?!” Milly shouted at him. “Zayd, we’ve gotta get out of here!”

 

Zayd ignored his companions as Ivory began to join in with Milly and attempt to convince him to flee with them. Seeing the death of the three other adventurers solidified their concerns on whether or not victory could even be achieved. Ivory was certain that they could not defeat their foe. However, convincing Zayd would be no easy task as his Warrior’s Spirit had taken over. 

 

Zayd gripped the handle of his ax tight and stared down his target. “I won’t let you get away with this, Krok!”

 

“What’s happening to you?” Krok seemed concerned. 

 

Zayd appeared stronger and an energy began to radiate from him. 

 

Krok could feel it, he was empowered by something. “What is this sudden change in you?”

 

“It’s the Warrior’s Spirit…,” Ivory muttered. “Zayd’s ears are beyond our approach…”

 

“We have to help him…we don’t have a choice!” Milly yelled. “I won’t leave him behind.”

 

Ivory groaned in response. “Damn you both! We’re going to die here. I hope you know that!”

 

“No one else is dying here today!” Zayd furiously roared. “No one but you, Krok!”

 

With a great burst of energy, Zayd sprinted forward and empowered his ax with an infusion of energy. He swung it around with a mighty cleave.

 

Krok braced himself for the attack but the sheer power of it was too much for him to handle. The mighty brute winced in pain as the ax dealt a powerful blow to him. 

 

Milly and Ivory wasted no time in mounting their own attacks. Ivory began launching her Gloom Bolts while Milly shot off multiple arrows at Krok. 

 

The gnoll wailed in agony as the occult magic began to entangle him. Milly’s arrows began to sink into flesh as his defense wore down from the damage he had sustained. 

 

Zayd continued his assault and began swiping his ax back and forth. His blows landed one by one and dealt a staggering amount of damage to the beast. Krok had finally begun to meet his match or so it had seemed. 

 

Krok powered up his rage even further and began to match Zayd blow for blow. “You think you’re the only one who can grow stronger?!” 

 

Zayd swung his ax again and again. Krok took the force of the attacks but followed up with his own swipes. With each attack, Zayd was forced to raise his shield to deflect the savage claws lest they tear him to shreds. Luckily for him, his shield was durable enough to take the force of each attack.

 

“Come on, boy!” Krok taunted him. “Give me all you’ve got!”

 

Zayd lowered his shield and stepped back a bit. He then pushed forward and swung his shield towards the beast. “Shield Bash!

 

“Aha! Now I’ve got you!” Krok pulled back to dodge the attack. When Zayd’s shield missed, Krok brought his claw down upon Zayd.

 

“Nooo!” Ivory and Milly collectively cried out. “Zayd!”

 

A loud slash sounded off through the air, as if metal had sliced through flesh.

 

“Agggh!” Krok howled as he looked down at his claw. “Wh-what have you done?!”

 

Zayd panted as his arm rested from the swing of his ax. Krok’s massive paw now laid upon the ground. Zayd had used an empowered Cut to slice through Krok’s attack, severing the claw in the process.

 

“My paw!” Krok shouted out. “No! No! What have you done?!”

 

“I told you, Krok!” Zayd angrily yelled out. “No one else is dying here except for you!”

 

“I can’t believe it!” Ivory said. “Zayd, you actually wounded him!”

 

“Now take this!” Zayd began to empower his ax once again.

 

“Wait! No!” Krok stumbled back to get some distance between himself and Zayd. He began to fumble around his waist and retrieved a small vial from his belt. “Damn you for making me use this!” He popped the top of the vial open and downed the contents. 

 

“What the hell did he just do?” Milly wondered.

 

“I don’t know but this can’t be good!” Ivory commented. 

 

“What did you do, Krok?!” Zayd shouted at him. “Answer me!”

 

Krok began to bellow and moan and his eyes reddened. He began to wheeze and cough erratically. “Agh! Blergh!” Strange noises began to spew from his mouth as his skin swelled up. Krok roared with a mighty and ferocious howl as his body began to mutate and form into something else. His muscles began to grow and deform. His claws grew longer and his dismembered paw was replaced with a long tail-like formation. Krok’s face mutated into an almost unrecognizable form along with the rest of him. 

 

Zayd stepped back and looked on in shock. Even in his Warrior’s Spirit form, he stood no chance against this vile creation.

 

After a while, the screams halted. Krok began to chuckle and grumble at the adventurers. His bloated form swelled and bubbled before their very eyes. “Your…doom…is assured.”

 

Now the adventurers faced an even greater threat than before. Krok has resorted to utilizing the same formula used to mutate the forest wildlife. With it, he has obtained power beyond the adventurer’s capabilities. Nevertheless, they must persist onward.

0