Chapter 7
26 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 7 ~ Cripples, Bastards and Broken things Part 2 ~

Father and I sat either side of Sansa, watching the tournament, Jaime had done his joust which ended in a sword fight between him and a knight from a much smaller house, he was now standing guard with Ser Barristan and The Hound, there was a roar from the crowd and Ser Gregor came riding up on his stallion, he lifted part of his helmet and bowed to King Robert, the horse he was riding was as monstrously large. 

 

“Where's Arya?” Father asked, leaning slightly over Sansa so I could hear him over the crowd cheering as Ser Loras entered the field on his mare, Sansa sighed dramatically. 

 

“At her dancing lessons” she told father who raised a quizzical brow in my direction, I’d told Arya that we were to call her training with Syrio ‘dancing’ and in a way it was he was a master at the style of Water Dancing, it was easier to say dancing master to Sansa who wouldn’t understand, Ser Loras lead his horse over to us and he held out a beautiful red rose to me. 

 

“Thank you, Ser Loras,” I mumbled with a smile as he nodded to me before looking over my fathers head to where I knew Renly was sitting 

 

“The Kingslayer will have to keep an eye on you and Ser Loras,” Little Finger said from behind Sansa, I turned my head and glared at the irritating little man. 

 

“Be careful, Little Finger, if you keep opening your mouth the next thing that will be coming from it will be your teeth” I growled, the man had the decency to look shocked, a horse roared and I turned to see The Mountain’s horse rearing up, becoming skittish, both opponents took off to their end of the jousting field and faced one another. 

 

Sansa clutched both my arm and fathers hand tightly “don’t let Ser Gregor hurt him” she pleaded, her nails bit into my arm and I cast a sideways look to father who was petting her hand gently. 

 

“Hey,” father soothed, she shook her head and buried it into my wind swept hair, shielding herself from what could possibly be the end of the Knight of the Flowers life. 

 

“I can't watch” she mumbled into my shoulder, I placed my hand on her head and mumbled reassurances into her hair. 

 

“100 gold dragons on the Mountain” I heard Little Finger yell from behind me, I kissed my sisters head and turned to face the joust. 

 

“I'll take that bet,” Renly said, I could hear the smirk in his voice causing me to roll my eyes. 

 

“Now what will I buy with 100 gold dragons? A dozen barrels of Dornish wine? Or a girl from the pleasure houses of Lys?” Little Finger pondered, he was a little too close to my ear. 

 

“Or you could even buy a friend” I growled as I looked at him from over my shoulder with a glare, my remark didn’t go unnoticed by father or Renly, as the former sighed deeply and shook his head slightly. 

 

“He's going to die,” Sansa said as a trumpet sounded, signalling the start of the joust. 

 

“Ser Loras rides well,” father said as she straightened up, Ser Loras nor Gregor wasted anytime and the both charged forward and met in the middle of the field, in a split second Ser Loras’ lance broke upon the impact of Gregor’s shield and the Mountain was thrown from his horse, he hit the ground heavily, there was stunned silence but then the crowd roared with excitement.

 

“Such a shame, Littlefinger. It would have been so nice for you to have a friend” I heard Renly shout over the crowd. 

 

“And tell me, Lord Renly, when will you be having your friend?” Little Finger replied as the cheering died down and Sansa, father and I resumed our seats, my blood boiling at the implication that Little Finger just gave about Loras and Renly, I felt movement from behind me and Little Fingers head popped in between Sansa and father, he obviously knew if he got too close to me I’d smack him in the nose “Loras knew his mare was in heat. Quite crafty, really” he told father. 

 

“Ser Loras would never do that! There's no honour in tricks” Sansa defended Ser Loras, I agreed with her that there was no honour in tricks but Ser Loras would certainly do that and it seemed The Mountain had also figured out how Ser Loras had one so quickly. 

 

“No honour but quite a bit of gold” Gregor rose from the ground angrily, ripped off his helmet and shouted for his sword, his poor squire, a slip of a young boy who looked terrified of his own shadow ran up with Gregor’s overly large sword, he snatched it from the boys hands, thrust his horses reins to the quivering boy and with a mighty stroke, severed his horse's head, the horses scream in pain caused the crowd to go deathly quiet and Gregor turned his fury towards his opponent, he had Loras unseated and on the ground in a matter of second and was trying to kill him while Ser Loras desperately tried to shield himself from the blows that were breaking his shield.

 

The Hound was suddenly there with a loud “Leave him be!" and was quickly drawing his own sword, the brother fought brutally and I was in awe, these men wielded their bodies like they weighed nothing. 

 

“Stop this madness in the name of your King!” Robert shouted from his seat and without hesitation The Hound has dropped to his knee and bowed his head in respect, while Gregor's blade slices through the air where The Hound's head had been just moments before, the thought of The Hound loosing his head to his brother’s tantrum caused me to feel terrible for the man, the idea of loosing your life at the hands of a sibling, Gregor looked up at King Robert, threw his sword down into the dirt and stomped off through the crowd of on lookers who was silent and in shock, Ser Loras got up from the dirt and approached the Hound slowly. 

 

They conversed for a moment and Loras snagged Sandor's left hand with his right and raised both in victory, the crowd began to scream in excitement and Sansa stood up while father and I remained in our seats clapping politely, we shared a look from behind Sansa’s dress, the Mountain was on a rampage and this didn’t bode well for anyone who came into contact with the man. 

 

—————

 

A few days after the Hands Tournament Arya decided to play the disappearing game and I’d spent most of the day running around the Red Keep searching high and low for her, I’d searched every place I could think but there was no sign of her and it had started to get closer to dark and I was pacing around my chambers anxiously, I’d sent some Lannister guards down to Flea Bottom in search of her while Syrio searched the gardens, a knock sounded on the heavy wooden door and I wrenched it open as fast as I could to find Graycie, wringing her hands nervously “Graycie, is there any news?” I glanced past her and found the halls empty. 

 

“I just saw palace guards taking someone who looked to be your sister to see you father, m’lady but I cannot be sure, they looked like a beggar boy” I touched her hands and soothed her as best I could. 

 

“Go have a cup of wine to soothe your nerves Graycie, I’m sure who you saw with the guards was my sister” I gathered my skirts and took off towards the Tower of the Hand where I knew father was working, I sprinted up the stairs as fast as my legs could take me and came to an abrupt halt in front of my fathers solar door, I knocked once and threw the door open to find my sister, dirty but unharmed standing between my fathers writing desk and the door “Arya! Thank the Gods you’re okay, I was worried sick, are you alright?” I grabbed her shoulder with one hand and gripped her chin with the other, turning her hand this way and that, taking in her dirt covered face and teary eyes. 

 

“I’m sorry, I’m sorry, I’m sorry” she said as I scooped her up in my arms and held her as tightly as possible “I was chasing a cat…” she mumbled and I shook my head and kissed her filthy head gently.

 

“It doesn’t matter, sweet girl, you’re back safe, but from now on wherever you went don’t go there again, at least not without someone accompanying you” I wiped her face and another knock sounded on fathers door and Jory entered. 

 

“Pardon, My Lord, My Lady, there’s a Night's Watchman here begging a word. He says it's urgent” Jory said and from behind him I saw a scruffy looking man in all black, the man then stepped into the solar and stopped just short of Arya and I.

 

“Your name, friend?” Father asked as Arya tightly her arms on my skirts and peered at the man. 

 

“Yoren, if it please” he looked away from father to Arya and I “you must be Lady Anaris, your brother Jon, Lord Tyrion and Benjen speak highly of your sword skills” I smiled genuinely at him, he was definitely the friendly sort of man who my uncle would befriend “This must be your other son. He has the look” he commented about Arya who stiffened in my arms. 

 

“I'm a girl!” Arya said with a small growl that almost made me chuckle. 

 

“Did Benjen send you?” I asked, genuinely curious as to why he was so far from the Wall, just by himself. 

 

“No one sent me, My Lady” he said honestly and I nodded sadly, I did miss my brother and Benjen “I'm here to find men for The Wall, see if there's any scum in the dungeons that might be fit for service” he said to father, there was something else in his eyes something that I didn’t like, he had something to say. 

 

“Ah, we'll find recruits for you,” father said, nodding to Jory who smiled slightly and went to another guard who was outside the door. 

 

“Thank you, My Lord. But that's not why I disturb you now. Your brother, Benjen ... his blood runs black -- makes him as much my brother as yours, It's for his sake I rode here so hard I damn near killed my horse! There are others riding too. The whole city will know by tomorrow” he glanced at Arya and I for a moment and what he said peaked my interest. 

 

“Know what?” Father asked cautiously, we exchanged a look and a raised eyebrow, silently questioning one another why he was speaking about other riders. 

 

“Best said in private, My Lord,” he looked at Arya and I directly and father moved forward quickly. 

 

He kissed Arya’s head first and then mine “Go on,” he said to Arya before he looked at me , he knew I wanted to stay and find out what was going on but it was very clear he wasn’t going to let that happen “We'll talk more later,” he lightly hugged me again and kissed my head once more “Jory, take Arya safely to her room” fathers loyal guard nodded and touched Arya’s shoulder and lead her away from me, I smiled at father and curtsied at Yoren who had the decency to actually blush under the dirt that caked his face, before catching up with Jory and Arya, closing my fathers door as I left

 

“How many guards does father have?” Arya asked, and I shared a look with Jory over her head, he and I had an odd friendship given when I had hit my 16th nameday we’d both gotten drunk and almost ended up in bed together, we come to an understanding after that, the night was still mostly a blur but I knew he remembered and he knew I did too, we both decided to stay silent about it. 

 

“Here in King's Landing?” I asked her and she nodded, Jory smiled slightly. 

 

“Fifty” he told her, the small amount of guards never truly sat right with me but I knew it was because father couldn’t leave Winterfell and mother unprotected. 

 

“You wouldn't let anyone kill him, would you?” She asked and when I looked at her she just shook her head slightly, the look she gave me explained why father had looked confused when I’d entered his solar. 

 

“No fear on that count, little Lady” Jory reassured her, I came to a stop that lead to the stairs down, Arya came to a stop as well and I touched her cheek gently. 

 

“No more chasing cats” I said to her making her chuckle, “if Syrio says anything about it I’ll deal with him personally, it’s been far too long since someone bested that old man” I grinned and kissed her head, “stay in your rooms tonight,” she looked at me with wide eyes. 

 

“Is that my punishment?” She asked looking down at her scuffed shoes, I chuckled and touched her cheek. 

 

“No sweet thing, it’s to keep you safe” I said, I kissed her forehead one last time and nodded to Jory who touched her back and lead her away from me as I went back to my bed chambers and gathered my sword and ridding clothes, I needed to see Ros and I needed more of my draft.

 

—————

 

I left Baelish’s establishment with a small bag stowed in my satchel and I hopped up on Ember’s back, I began to lead her away from the building when I heard swords clashing near by and shouts from men, I heard Baelish yell out and I almost trampled the man as he scampered away from the scene, in the large courtyard in front of the whorehouse Jaime was fighting father with their men going head to head around them, Jory got in the way and fought with father, in second Jaime had shoved his dagger into his eye, killing the man instantly. 

 

“Jaime!” I yelled, jumping from Ember I drew my sword and cut down a Lannister guard after he killed one of fathers guards, I dodged another guard who tried to grab me and haul me away, I kicked him in the leg and ran to father who was now on his knees, still fighting Jaime, a guard suddenly appeared next to them and stabbed father in the thigh with a spear “no! Father!” I went to catch him but I was caught by Jaime, who turned and knocked out the offending guard. 

 

Jaime threw me over his shoulder deftly, threw me onto his horse and climbed into the saddle behind me “My brother, Lord Stark ... we want him back”

 

“Father!” I shouted as I twisted around to see my father collapse while Ember dutifully followed us from the city streets “no!”

2