Volume 2: Chapter 23: 5 hours later
33 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

*5 hours later*

The sound of my phone's message notification jolted me from my restless thoughts. Heart pounding, I grabbed my phone and read the chilling message that appeared on the screen. The words hit me like a punch to the gut, causing me to crumple the bed sheets in my trembling hands.

"[I told you to come alone, why is there a police and you're not here?]" Accompanying the message was a chilling photo of the police in the place they sent me, and in the next one was Kira, eyes closed, bound and incapacitated.

Anger surged within me, mingling with a growing sense of unease. Were they after me too? Were they somehow connected to the people who had captured me before—Chris and Gomburza? Or could they be the mysterious boss they had mentioned, Miko? If that were the case, it was clear they were determined to capture me.

My fingers moved swiftly, typing out my response multiple times, as if hoping for a different outcome. But there was no reply, only silence.

Minutes passed, each one feeling like an eternity, until finally, a new message appeared on the screen. "[I'm running out of patience. Should I just kill her?]"

A wave of dread washed over me as I stared at the words. The image that followed was horrifying—Kira, her life hanging by a thread as a knife loomed dangerously close to her vulnerable neck.

"[I understand. Please text me the location.]"

I sighed as I sent the message, my fingers trembling, but deep down, there was no way I would allow them to have their way. I had come too close to death before, and if I walked into their trap, there was no guarantee I would make it out alive. They were not just ordinary thugs; they were skilled and ruthless criminals.

But why? Why were they after me? If it wasn't because of the manager, then who was it? Takumi? Is she truly involved in all of this like Korosaku said?..

 But why? She had severed ties with me long ago. And now, they had dragged Kira into this twisted game. It wasn't my fault, but the weight of responsibility pressed heavily upon me. Even if Takumi's involvement was uncertain, I couldn't bear the thought of Kira losing her life. If she died, would that shit it come back to me?

A heavy sigh escaped my lips as I wrestled with the dilemma. This was the chance I had been waiting for, the opportunity to turn my life around, I finally got over it and now, just when everything is going fine. Just what the hell is going on.

Grappling my head, I felt an insurmountable sudden headache, causing me to tighten my grip and lie on the bed. I can't allow Kira to die... Just who is..No, it doesn't matter who's responsible for this. Whoever it is, I'll make them regret it. They want me that badly? Fine. I'll figure them out.

But, I can't let you die, Kira. Not now. Not yet. We haven't... I haven't... and I finally...

I paused, gasping for air. What was happening to me? My hands trembled before my eyes.

"Haaaaahhh." I felt like I was losing myself.

Just then, another message interrupted my thoughts, it was the location they wanted me to come. But I'm not an idiot enough to follow them.

Getting out of bed, I immediately called the boss, seeking answers about Toka's location. It turned out that Toka was in this very hospital. 

St. Luke's Medical Center, its grand entrance displaying the prominent logo and name right in front of me.

With Toka not answering my calls, going to her in person was the only option.

 Entering the place, I approached the receptionist with a charming smile, introducing myself as Toka's cousin, and she willingly provided me with her room number. "Uhm... Room 303," she informed me.

"Thank you," I said gratefully, and swiftly made my way in the direction of the room. As I walked, questions swirled in my mind. Why was Toka in the hospital? Had she been injured? But for now, those thoughts would have to wait. I had to see her.

Finally, after several minutes, I stood before a massive door, the number 303 displayed on a plate. After a few moments of contemplation, I pushed the door open. My gaze immediately focused on Toka, and without thinking, I dashed towards her, grabbing her shoulder and pinning her against the wall.

"M-Matsuki-kun?" Toka's voice trembled as she spoke my name.

"You know about this, right?" I showed her the messages from the unknown number.

"About what?" Toka being confused I couldn't let her play dumb.

I pushed Toka down, my fingers, digging onto her slender shoulder. "You know about this, right?"

"That's..." she began, but her words trailed off.

"You're the one who asked me to go to that location. Did you know what happened to me? I almost died out there,"

"Died?" Toka's voice wavered, clearly taken aback by my words. "But they said they were only trying to talk to you..."

"So you really know something. I was right,"

"I..." Toka's balance faltered, and she fell to the ground. "I didn't know... I'm sorry. I didn't... I didn't know... They told me they were just..."

"Forget about what happened to me. That's not important right now," I interrupted, my voice softening slightly. "Please answer me truthfully. Kira has been dragged into this."

Toka started crying, her sniffles filling the tense air. "I'm sorry," she managed to say between sobs.

"Hey, don't cry!" I shook her not in a care about her sobs. "Now is not the time for that, Just answer me. Kira got kidnapped. If I let them, she may be in danger. Her life... that is..."

"Uhmm... Sorry. I didn't know it would come to this

 "I just wanted to..."

"Don't hurt my sister!" Two children suddenly appeared, punching me in the waist. I looked down to see a girl, around seven years old, and a younger boy, about five years old. Beside them was a woman, bedridden in the hospital bed.

"I'm sorry. Someone asked me to do it in exchange for paying for my mother's surgery... I'm sorry," Toka explained, her voice filled with regret.

"Someone?" Pressing her shoulder, for more information, I asked "who?"

"I don't know much, but he introduced himself to me as Miko. He's pretty mysterious himself,"

"I see..."

As I looked at the two children punching me, the lifeless body of the woman lying in the bed, and the sound of machines beeping in the background, as I observed the room in silence, I got the gist of her story. 

I always found it peculiar to see a young girl working in a bar instead of attending school. So that's the reason.

"I understand. So just tell me what you know. Apologizing won't change anything. If they're after me, how come they kidnapped Kira?"

"I'm sorry. It may be because I told them about you and your circumstances, including Kira being your girlfriend," Toka confessed, her voice filled with regret.

"Huh? So the reason Kira was kidnapped was really..." I muttered under my breath, frustration bubbling up.

"Damn it... whoever that Miko bastard is," I muttered, clenching my fists in frustration.

"Kira has been missing for two days. Tell me what you know," 

"I can't... My..." Toka's voice quivered, fear evident in her words.

"Just tell me something you know. Is it true that Kira is being held captive in xxx street, xx place?" I implored, hoping for an answer.

"Xxx street, xx place? That's not where I last saw her," Toka replied, confusion evident in her voice.

"So you do know about it," I remarked, my patience wearing thin.

"If you know, tell me already," I urged, feeling the urgency of the situation.

"I understand," Toka said, avoiding my gaze. "But I'll send it to you using my other phone."

"What did you say? Can't you tell me right away? Don't you understand that it's urgent?"

"I know, I know... but..." Toka's voice trailed off, filled with worry.

"But what? Are you still not going to cooperate?"

"But, considering that Kira's life is in danger, if they find out that I exposed something about them... Later... If he learns about it," 

She hugged both of the children, stopping them from hitting me. "I don't know what will happen to us."

"I'm really sorry, but at least let me handle it my way."

"Okay," I said, taking a deep breath to calm myself. "Make sure to send me the location. Don't even think about lying. If you do... I won't forget it," I warned as I averted my gaze towards them.

Tsk..why do I feel like I'm the bad guy here.

"O-okay," Toka stammered, her voice trembling.

"Get out of here! Don't you dare do something to my sister!" the children shouted, urging me to leave.

"I'll go now. Just hurry up and send it to me. I'll be waiting," I said before leaving Toka's room and the hospital. I couldn't fully trust her after everything that had happened, but she was the only lead I had.

***

"Two Taser guns, two self-defense knives, a self-defense stun baton keychain, and another taser..." The bearded guy glanced at me before examining the items.

"Hey kid, I know how dangerous things can be sometimes, but is it really necessary to buy all of this stuff?" he questioned, trying to pry into my business.

"Just tell me how much it is," I replied curtly, my tone indifferent.

"Before, you purchased a taser from my shop, and now this. Is something wrong? People don't usually buy items like these," he continued, his curiosity getting the better of him.

"Just check it out," I reiterated, handing him my card.

These items were expensive, my savings seemed to vanish in an instant. Thankfully Ate Yuri still gives me an allowance directly to the card. If it weren't for it, I don't know how I'd be able to purchase them.

"Did the taser not help you enough to come back for more tools?" he asked, starting to annoy me.

"I'll be going now. Thanks," I replied, purposefully avoiding his questions and ready to leave the shop.

"Kids these days," he mumbled to himself as I walked away and glanced over my phone for the last time, a message from Toka, a location of where she last saw Kira.

"Almost quarter to six," I mumbled to myself as I readied myself with the tools I bought,

"I guess sneaking at night is the best option."

0