Chapter Sixty-One: Alice Is Found
3 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

Lucian T. Einar | Patreon

"/

Steve and Hatta trod down the narrow, gray, polished-stone passageway, guided by sources of light floating above him like marbles. A familiar black cat with piercing yellow eyes, a black cat with piercing yellow eyes.

“You again?” Steve asked. “What are you?”

This feline guide had appeared at Völundr’s castle and led him to Walhalla's rooftop. It meowed, motioning with a paw for him to follow, just as it had done before.

“Do you know that cat?” Hatta asked.

“No idea.”

As Steve approached, the cat disappeared, leaving him before a worn, wooden door adorned with a magnificent carving of a golden dragon's face serving as the handle. The door, seven feet high, stood imposingly in front of him.

Intricate carvings on the handle drew Steve's attention as he opened the door, revealing a chamber adorned with white cushions scattered across the floor. The room, bathed in the soft glow of fireflies, had walls covered in red wallpaper, creating an otherworldly atmosphere.

In the center sat a teenage girl, and by her side, Alice, who seemed entranced, gazing at the floor. Alice was dressed in a long-sleeved white shirt, black skirt, and black boots. The unknown girl, with her hair tied in a chignon, wore a blue shirt paired with black trousers.

“It’s her,” Hatta said.

Steve's desperate call made Kath jolt, and the girl stood up, brandishing a cedar wand at him. A silver wand materialized in front of his face, blocking his path. To his right stood an old woman, her presence unexpected.

“I'm glad you are fine,” the old woman said. Steve's gaze alternated between her and his daughter.

“I’ll give her back, with a condition,” The old woman said, brushing aside some stray hair from her face.

Steve scowled, demanding, “Who are you?” but the woman simply smiled.

“I’m Cristina De Hard, and the girl next to Alice is Kath.”

“You are the woman who freed me, aren't you?” Steve realized, a flicker of recognition in his eyes.

“That’s correct,” Cristina nodded.

“We’ve met before, have we? I mean even before I was in prison.”

“Who knows.”

Steve frowned, not satisfied with her answer.

“What do you want?”

“I have a favor to ask. Please, take care of Kath,” Cristina lowered her wand, gesturing for Kath to do the same. The young girl stared at Cristina in disbelief, unprepared for this twist.

“What do you mean?”

“These people are our enemy!” Kath protested, interrupting.

“They aren’t. Steve never was. Our enemy is among us, actually. Sains, Du Bellay, and DeVries were killed by Joanne.”

“Why!? I cannot leave without you; you could also die,” Kath muttered, almost in tears. The emotional turmoil in the room left Steve torn between his plans and his mission, and the plea of the distraught girl.

Yet, determined, he went past Kath and knelt before Alice, his daughter lost in a trance. He stared into her eyes, a deep yearning for recognition etched on his face. The girl stood beside him, head bowed, seemingly oblivious to her father's presence.

"Why is she so unresponsive?" Hatta asked, frowning. Steve examined his daughter’s face and realized she didn’t even blink at him.

"She's in a trance! We need to make Joanne break it," explained Cristina De Hard.

"A curse?" Steve asked, a sense of urgency creeping into his voice.

"Most curses are unique, requiring the caster's intervention to be deactivated. Unless we know the code word used to cast it, breaking it is nearly impossible. The alternative is to kill the caster," Cristina replied.

"Will you kill Joanne Belloc?" Kath interrupted, her concern palpable.

"I won't. She will deactivate it soon.”

“Who is this Joanne you talking about?” Hatta interrupted.

“She’s a very powerful and dangerous Jana in order, but don’t fret. She doesn’t want to harm Alice.”

Helping Alice to her feet, Steve sensed the weight of the situation pressing down on him. "We need to go. Kath, was it? Are you coming? I can’t wait any longer."

He attempted to grab Kath's hand, but she resisted. Unfazed, he reached into his pocket and pulled out the ring Völundr had given him.

"You can’t teleport with your ring while you're in this building. Joanne cast a spell to prevent it," Cristina said.

He wore the ring regardless and tried once more to take Kath's hand, yet she hesitated.

“Take this!” Cristina De Hard threw him a gold ring adorned with intricate engravings of weapons—a shield, three spears, a bow, seven swords, gloves, a rotating disc, a hammer, and a belt.

“What is this?” Steve asked, captivated by the delicate designs.

“It's a magical ring that I stole from Völundr long ago. It's yours now!”

“What do I do with it?”

“That ring stores each of the weapons engraved on its surface. Sixteen mythical tools that Völundr gathered throughout his life. Wear it, and the weapons will protect you.”

Steve pocketed the ring.

A profound tremor shook the room, and gravity seemed to pull them down. "They did it. We have to go!" Steve said, excitement in his voice. The noise echoed in the room with the tremor's aftershocks, causing the very air to quiver with uncertainty.

“Kath, please, be a good kid and follow Steve. Behave yourself well, my child!” Cristina De Hard kissed her on the forehead, wiping away Kath’s tears. The trio departed.

Steve's heart raced as he sprinted down the illuminated hallway of white marble carrying Alice in his arms. Kath and Hatta tailing him. The urgency pressed upon him, and he kissed his ring, sending a silent message to his teammates that Alice was safe with him.

After five intense minutes, they reached their rendezvous in the main hall.

The once majestic statues were now reduced to scattered stone remnants, covered by the invasive growth of trees' branches and roots. The floating building descended rapidly, instability unsettling everything within. The pressure forced them upward, struggling to maintain their footing.

"Katherine! What a surprise!” A redhead woman appeared out of thin air a few feet away from Katherine. What are you doing here?" she asked, bowing sarcastically to Steve, who eyed her with a furrowed brow.

“Joanne!” Kath gasped.

“So, you’re Joanne!” Steve scowled.

Amidst the turmoil, another quake shook the building, and the ground split open. Two-floor plates rose like a closing book. Steve, now brandishing his katana, pursued Joanne, who wielded a dueling cane.

"Escape!" Steve yelled to the girls. “Hatta go!”

Katherine seized Alice's hand while Hatta followed after them. Kath led the way towards the entrance, only to find the massive doors sealed shut. However, as the building fell to the ground the big door cracked wide open breaking in half.

The Palace plummeted, returning to its original position. The impact shattered the land, hurling debris in its wake, obliterating the once pristine court district. Despite the controlled fall, destruction marked its path.

Steve clashed swords with Joanne, their momentum propelling them into the air before gravity pulled them back down. Joanne seized Steve's coat collar, conjuring a magic circle that spewed rays of fire flinging him against the broken entry doors. He landed outside, a few yards away from Hatta, Katherine, and Alice who desperately tried to evade Joanne's pursuit.

A second Joanne emerged and vanished, leaving the original to stride past Steve. As he went back to his feet and before he could even react, the second Joanne delivered a powerful punch to his face.

Joanne raised the dueling cane, invoking the winds with a shout, "Militis." A dark shadow emerged from hers and a legion of at least twenty Arcis foot soldiers materialized, sprouting like ominous flowers from the ground.

“After Alice!” Joanne ordered.

Steve could see how Hatta tried to block the way of the Arcis letting the two girls escape. However, his vision dimmed into dark spots, he lost consciousness.

Announcement

If you liked the story, please consider leaving a review and sharing it with anybody you think might enjoy it.

Please, join the Keres Discord server: The Ambassador's Office

0