Chapter Sixty-Four: Escape While the Building Collapses
3 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Alouqua's heart raced as she found Naga, crawling through the labyrinthine halls of the court, his bandages covering his eyes now missing amid the chaos. His eyes squeezed shut, a response to the cacophony of tremors, the dissonance of breaking objects, and a myriad of sensations that assaulted him through his synesthetic senses. Even though she couldn’t feel as he did, he had explained and described his senses multiple times. She could tell that he was having a hard time and his sense of balance was most likely shattered

She reached him, her agile fingers picking up the fallen blindfolds a few steps away from him. She could feel the tension in the air, the imminent collapse of the once majestic structure. As she covered Naga's eyes, she couldn't help but smile at his resilience.

"Are you okay?" she asked, her voice a calm anchor in the storm.

"Thank you," he panted, gratitude evident even through his labored breaths.

“Where are the kids?”

“I don’t know. They went ahead with Damon.”

"Let's get out of here," she declared, a surge of determination coursing through her. She kissed him, a brief moment of solace amidst the turmoil, before helping him to his feet. The cracked floor beneath them added an extra layer of challenge, each step a dance with instability. She pushed forward, Naga's weight leaning on her for support.

The labyrinthine halls twisted and turned, threatening to collapse at any moment. Alouqua's desperation intensified as she navigated through the chaos. Rooms crumbled behind them, and corridors narrowed into impassable rubble. The once opulent court now echoed with the sounds of destruction.

"To the left," he directed, and she followed his lead, their progress hindered by falling debris and unstable footing. Alouqua strained against the disintegrating building, determined to guide her husband to safety.

Minutes felt like an eternity as they rushed through the disintegrating building. Alouqua's senses heightened, every crack in the floor and groan of the structure beneath her feet became a warning. She maneuvered through the chaos, always one step ahead of the collapse, her focus unwavering on ensuring their wellbeing.

The walls trembled as if protesting their intrusion. A burning aisle blocked their path, flames licking the walls, fueled by some unseen force. “Nimbus,” Alouqua, undeterred, summoned a cascade of water to douse the inferno, creating a temporary barrier against the encroaching fire.

They passed through rooms where the air shimmered with heat, navigating the maze of crumbling walls and burning obstacles. Alouqua's desperation grew with every step, her every movement calculated to avoid the imminent dangers that surrounded them.

Finally, they emerged into an expansive amphitheater, its grandeur now marred by fallen pillars and crumbling arches.

“I hope the kids are OK,” she halted, breathing heavily, as they took a short break.

“I hope they are,” Naga said, resting his back against the wall.

The ceiling above creaked and threatened to fall away, but Alouqua, driven by sheer determination, crossed that hallway helping Naga along the way.

As they reached an open garden, the once-manicured landscape lay in disarray. The tremors made them stumble, and the collapsing walls threatened to entrap them. Alouqua's fear transformed into a fierce determination to get to the other side.

"Wait!" Naga suddenly exclaimed, and she halted. The ceiling ahead collapsed, debris crashing down. Alouqua acted on instinct, swift and decisive, steering them down across the garden. Even though there wasn’t a ceiling coming down on them, the tinted glass of the windows around them cracked, shooting glass projectiles in all directions.

“Shield me!” She ordered. The plants and trees in the garden swiftly moved, guarding them from the broken flying glass until they reached the interior of the building, leading them to a set of stairs.

They rushed through, a maze of stairs and hallways now more treacherous than ever. Alouqua's senses remained on high alert, listening to every crack in the floor and groan of the structure beneath her feet.

Finally, they emerged into the entrance hall, a breath of fresh air amidst the chaos. The relief was short-lived as Naga directed her again, his instincts now guiding them as they avoided the debris falling on them. Alouqua's pressed forward.

They reached the exit, the outside world a stark contrast to the crumbling chaos they left behind. Alouqua's eyes scanned the scene, and she spotted Kyrie, exhausted and leaning against a concrete column.

With a careful touch, she helped Naga sit beside Kyrie, allowing them both a moment of respite against the rock. The air shimmered as she summoned two red apples out of thin air. Kyrie and Naga accepted the fruit, their bodies gradually recovering some of their stamina as it gradually healed their wounds.

"Where's Steve?" Alouqua asked, cleaning her face of dust and sweat with a handkerchief.

"He went after his daughter," Kyrie answered, his breaths still ragged. “I lost too much blood. Another apple won’t help me much.”

Announcement
A NOTE FROM LUCIAN T. EINAR

If you liked the story, please consider leaving a review and sharing it with anybody you think might enjoy it.

image

Please, join the Keres Discord server: The Ambassador's Office

 

Lucian T. Einar | Patreon

"/

0