Chapter Seventy-Two: Trust Broken
2 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Völundr's tears streamed down his face, wetting his mustache and beard. Blood filled his mouth, causing him to spit and choke. But with great effort, he managed to break free from the paralyzing spell that had held him captive. Gasping for air, he regained his ability to move. At the same time, his auto-regeneration kicked in, gradually healing and closing his open wound.

Raising his trembling hand toward the sky, Völundr summoned a golden light that enveloped his palm. With a sudden motion, he slammed his fist onto the ground, sending a powerful shockwave rippling through the city. The impact reverberated, shaking everything around him.

"Walhalla!" Völundr roared, his voice filled with anger. He led his entourage as they appeared charging into the altar room of his floating castle. Naga and he swiftly scooped up the dying Alouqua, carrying her to a nearby table. Völundr made her down a few alchemical potions, one after another, until Alouqua gasped for air, her consciousness returning. Once assured that she was out of immediate danger, Völundr allowed her to rest. Naga remained by her side, gently holding her hand as she slumbered.

As Völundr turned to face his other subordinates. Kath, her face flushed with frustration, began to ramble, "You fell into Joanne’s trap. Joanne merely wanted to distract you, so they could steal that trident!" She remained on the floor as she covered her teary eyes with both hands.

Fury welled up within Steve, his voice cracking as he shouted, "Dammit!" He pounded the rock floor with his fist, tears of sorrow streaming down his face.

"We must go after them," Lowe declared approaching Völundr, his voice filled with urgency.

Völundr's brows furrowed, and his mind weighed heavily with the decision. "We are not in the condition to do so," he finally sighed.

"It will be too late by then!" Steve exclaimed, his desperation evident.

Völundr's gaze turned towards Kyrie, his expression filled with regret. "You are badly wounded, Kyrie. You need medical attention."

“I trusted you, old man,” Kyrie finally said, making everyone else stay quiet.

Kyrie's eyes met Völundr's, and as Kyrie spoke Völundr felt as if a heavy weight had fallen on his shoulders. "You betrayed our trust," With those words, Kyrie turned away, leaving the room in tense silence.

A NOTE FROM LUCIAN T. EINAR

If you liked the story, please consider leaving a review and sharing it with anybody you think might enjoy it.

Please, join the Keres Discord server: The Ambassador's Office

Lucian T. Einar | Patreon

"/

0