Chapter 3
26 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 3 ~ the Old Gods and the New ~

I dismounted the horse and entered the tent, I began throwing things into not only my trunk but mothers as well “what was he thinking? Riling up Stannis like that?” I muttered as mother entered the tent and just watched as I turned to everything in a frenzy of grabbing hands and curses. 


“What exactly are you doing?” She asked as I threw a dress that was delivered from High Garden, thanks to Margaery and her father. 

 “We’re leaving as soon as it gets dark,” I said, I turned to her and saw she was wringing her hands in worry, she’d never seen me this panicked “the Red Woman and Stannis are planning something and it became obvious that Renly isn’t going to heed their warnings or threats” mother turned her head away and sighed. 

 “Renly has gone to plan in his war tent, we have to stay to bid our farewells or else it will be taken as a great insult” she said with a shake of her head “and we still haven’t gotten an agreement from Renly about helping your brother”

 I growled angry at the situation “when he has a moment we’ll talk to him, Renly will hopefully agree” I sighed and rubbed at the ache that had formed behind my eyes, it was going to be a long wait. 

—————


Night had fallen when Renly had finally decided to allow us to actually talk to him, he’d been in his war tent heavily guarded and Brienne was definitely not one to be trifled with. 

 Mother and I sat across the table from Renly, while Brienne stood guard, a scowl on her face and a red mark on her cheek when we’d come to blows earlier, I was also sporting a very nasty welt on my arm where she’d hit me with the flat side of her sword in warning. 

 “You swear it?” Renly asked us as he poured us some wine, our eyes met briefly and I quirked an eyebrow in question. 

 “By the mother” mother spoke up, she sounded as desperate as I felt to get out of this camp and on the road to Robb. 

 “Robb has no interest in the Iron Throne,” I told him, my eyes begging him to see that we weren’t lying, he took a long sip of wine and then finally nodded. 

 “Then I see no reason for hostility between us, Your son can go on calling himself King in the North” Renly said causing me to smile broadly, “The Starks will have dominion over all lands north of Moat Cailin, provided he swears me an oath of fealty” a lump formed in my throat, last time mother agree to anything Robb had been betrothed to a Frey for a bridge. 

“And the wording of this oath?” I asked, I met my mothers eyes for a moment, she was still in trouble with Robb about betrothing him without seeing the woman first, we all knew the Frey’s weren’t the most pleasing to the eye, or the nose. 

 “The same Ned Stark swore to Robert eighteen years ago,” I hummed in agreement, it did sound reasonable, the oath was simple but it was held with the utmost respect and loyalty “Cat, their friendship held the kingdoms together” he touched mothers hand and she sighed, thinking deeply. 

 “And in return for my brother’s loyalty?” I asked making Renly look at me and smiled, there was a glint in his eye which meant he had a plan and it wasn’t going to be a good one. 

 “In the morning, I'll destroy my brother's army,” he let go of my mothers hand and stood up “when that's done, Baratheon and Stark will fight their common enemy together, as they have done many times before” as he spoke he crossed the tent to where Brienne was standing and she help remove his cloak in front of the looking glass.

“Our two houses have always been close, which is why I am begging you to reconsider this battle” mother urged him as only a mother could, with a soft voice and nice words. 

 “Negotiate a peace with your brother,” I suggested making Renly scoff at the idea. 

 “Negotiate with Stannis?” Our eyes met through the looking glass and he laughed at the face I pulled “You heard him out there, I'd have better luck debating the wind” Brienne removed his armour piece by piece “Please bring my terms to your son. I believe we are natural allies, I hope he feels the same, Together we could end this war in a fortnight” Brienne had removed his chest plate when the wind picked up to a screaming howl and a dark mist entered the tent, I got to my feet as it rushed across the floor, Brienne gasped as it rose behind Renly and stabbed him through the back, it hissed when I went to rush forward it disappeared just as quickly as it had formed

 “No! Renly” I was at his side the same time as Brienne but Renly was already dead “No” I turned him over and touched his cheek gently as tears formed in my eyes. 

There was a commotion behind me as two soldiers entered when they heard me call out, their swords drawn, their eyes on my huddled form that was cradling their king “You'll die for this” one of them growled at Brienne who was in shock at what had happened.

 “No, wait, it wasn't her!” Mother yelled but it was too late, the men lunged at Brienne, in a flurry of movement Brienne was on one while I took on another, the man she fought quickly went down while mine had a bit more of a fighting technique, his sword aimed for my gut but I quickly parried and shoved him around and thrust my sword into his spine, as he fell to his knees I thrust my sword again, this time into the back of his neck. I looked to Renly again but mother grabbed my arm “We've got to leave, Anaris!” She looked at Brienne as she cleaned her sword off on her kills coat “They'll hang both of you for this” 

 “Inside the king's tent – go” shouts rose up from outside the tent and I readied to fight once more. 

 “I won't leave him,” Brienne said, she looked like she was about to cry but was holding back her tears for now. 

 “You can't avenge him if you're dead” mother said, she grabbed my wrist and Brienne and want to leave through the front door when Brienne stopped her. 

 “Not that way” she pulled open the other side of the tent and exited first and mother and I quickly followed leaving Renly’s corpse to be found by his men, hopefully they’ll give him a proper burial.

 We stole into the night and rushed to our tent where our horses were already saddled, waiting for us to be finished so we could leave, Brienne snagged a horse from another tent and we quickly raced away from Renly’s camp.  

—————

 

3rd Person’s POV; Harrenhal:

 Arya listened as she prepared Tywin Lannister’s food, the old Lion sat with his advisors in the one tower of Harrenhal that hadn’t been totally destroyed by Aegon the Conqueror and his dragons, the castle was eerie and even Arya constantly felt like some dark force was following her. 

 “They say that Renly is dead, Catelyn Stark and her daughter Anaris were in the tent when he died along with one of his Kingsguard” a lord who Arya didn’t know spoke up, for a moment she stopped what she was doing, Ris was still okay, so was her mother, she wished she could go to them right that instant but she was a prisoner. 

 “They’d be keeping Anaris on a short leash” Tywin mumbled touched his knuckle to his lips, he was also slightly relieved to hear the young girls name, not for the same reason as Arya, but because it meant that if Anaris was alive she would keep Jaime alive as well. 

 “That’s what our spies tell us” the same lord spoke up and shifted in his seat uncomfortably, it had been a long day and their council had been sitting at the same table for hours, Arya tuned them out as she went back to the table to pour out wine when Tywin’s large hand covered his empty goblet, the seat on his car right was now empty after he’d all but threw out his cousin. 

 “Not wine, water” the old Lion spoke, he watched Arya with eyes that saw too much and spoke of years of war “We'll be here for some time,” he didn’t know she was Arya, could never know, for all he could glean from the girl was that she had been travelling dressed as a boy and had been grabbed by his men “Girl, where are you from?” He asked, Arya didn’t twitch but her mind went back to the teaching Maester Luwin had done. 

 “Maidenpool, my lord,” she answered, she vaguely remembered her lessons because she’d been to concentrated on wanting to be like Anaris and wanting to learn to fight. 

 “And who are the Lords of Maidenpool? Remind me” he watched her with hawk like eyes, her every move take in and analysed.  

“House Mooton, my lord”

 

“And what is their sigil?” He pressed making her pause, gods if only Ris was here, she’d help, she’d know the answer, she always did, she’d act out the answer for Arya when Maester Luwin’s back was turned and act innocent when he caught her “A red salmon, I think a Maidenpool girl would remember that,” he talked to her like he did when he was teaching his children, while Tyrion didn’t get much time with Tywin like Jaime and Cersei, Tywin made sure that he taught them things himself “You're a Northerner, aren't you?” He asked, Arya nodded mutely, scared that she’d been found out.

 “Good,” Tywin praised her honesty “One more time, where are you from?” This time he was watching her more closely. 

 “Barrowton, my lord” Arya said confidently, this house she remembered because Ris had spoken about the heir of House Dustin, Lewis, when they had been forced to meet by Catelyn and Lewis Lady mother, Ris had said he smelt of mouldy bread and old cheese that had been left in the sun “House Dustin. Two crossed longaxes beneath a black crown”

 “And what do they say of Robb Stark in the North?” Tywin asked her, Arya puffed her chest out in pride of her brother and what she’d heard about his conquests. 

 “They call him the Young Wolf”

 “And?” Tywin said letting her continue, though he didn’t notice she’d felt 10 times taller then her short stature just by talking about her brother. 

 “They say he rides into battle on the back of a giant direwolf. They say he can turn into a wolf himself when he wants. They say he can't be killed, they say his sister Anaris has wolves blood and can do the same thing” she held his gaze, challenging him.

 “And do you believe them?” Tywin asked as the men around the table became uncomfortable with what was being said, they were loosing battles because of Robb Stark and his battle plans and they didn’t like it. 

 “No, my lord” she continued to stare at him unblinking “Anyone can be killed” if it had been another man he might’ve throttled her for even speaking like that, but Tywin found she had strength and he admired that above all else. 

 “Fetch that water” he said to her, she nodded and left the room without another word or glance in his direction or the directions of his advisers.

—————

Anaris’ POV;

 

“It looked like Stannis,” Brienne said as I rubbed the kink from my neck, it had been a long ride, and the last two days of no sleep was catching up to me but every time I closed my eyes I was haunted by my dreams, the look on Renly’s face when he was stabbed through the heart, while I was sure Brienne wasn’t lying about the shadow man, it felt hard to believe that Stannis would go that far to kill his last living brother. 

 

“To me it just looked like... A shadow in the shape of a man” I scooped up a handful of water from the stream we were watering the horses and took a gulp before washing my face to remove the dirt that felt like it was caked into my skin.

 

“In the shape of Stannis,” Brienne said, insistent, she look me dead in the eyes and I nodded while mother still seemed unsure, she was worried about everything. 

 

“We should reach my son's camp tomorrow” mother looked to me when I sighed in relief, if thought long and hard about what was happening with Jaime, I felt as if we needed a every long talk without interruptions. 

 

“Will you stay there long, my lady?” Brienne asked mother, as I stood to my full height and began to gather things for a fire, we’d bed down here for the night, set off at dawn, which meant another sleepless night for me as I kept watch. 

 

“Only long enough to tell Robb what I have seen. After that, I will leave for Winterfell,” I glanced at mother and she sighed sadly “My two youngest need me. I've been away from them for far too long,” she met my eyes for a moment before I went back to gathering things “Anaris will stay with Robb”

 

“I never knew my mother” Brienne commented, over the last week she’d been watching mother and I interact rather intently, she’d witnessed my shrieks of terror as I awoke in the night, witnessed mother soothing me. 

 

“I'm sorry” I said as I piled wood up for the fire, she nodded once in thanks as mother came and sat next to her, I struck the flint against one of my daggers and blew gently on the sparks, they quickly ate up the dry wood shavings Brienne had prepared for me and in moments we had a roaring fire. 

 

“My own mother died on the birthing bed when I was very young,” mother said quietly, I threw another long on the fire so it would burn hotter and sat back on my heels. 

 

“It's a bloody business,” Brienne agreed and I made a humming noise in the back of my throat, I’d been there for every birth of my siblings, I saw what it took out of my mother every time. 

 

“What comes after is even harder,” mother looked over at me with a small smile “Ris was there for me with my children, she refused to leave my side even when Maester Luwin told her it was no place for a child” Brienne looked at me with a raised eyebrow and I shrugged in response. 

 

“Once you're safely back amongst your own people, will you give me leave to go, my lady?” Brienne asked changing the subject.

 

“You mean to kill Stannis?” I asked her with a scoff, it was a fools errand but I could understand the need for revenge. 

 

“I swore a vow,” Brienne said, showing the depth of her loyalty to Renly, even though he was dead. 

 

“But Stannis has a great army around him, His own guards are sworn to keep him safe” mother pointed out, I glanced at our surroundings for a moment, the forest was quiet. 

 

“I'm as good as any of them,” Brienne growled stiffly and for a moment I could see myself in her “I should never have fled”

 

“Renly's death was no fault of yours” I told her, I could still see his surprise as that shadow stabbed him in the heart, it hurt me that I could not save him. 

 

“You served him bravely” mother told her gently, Brienne’s face crumpled up in the grief she was trying hard to hide. 

 

“I only held him that once as he was dying,” she whispered over the crackling fire, mother stood up, she was very obviously angry that this was happening. 

 

“He's gone, Brienne. You serve nothing and no one by following him into the earth. Renly's enemies are Robb's enemies as well” 

 

“I do not know your son, my lady,” Brienne replied but her eyes sparked and from my post I could see an idea forming in her blue eyes “But I could serve you, if you would have me. You have courage. Not battle courage, perhaps, but, I don't know, a woman's kind of courage. And I think that when the time comes, you will not hold me back. Promise me that you will not hold me back from Stannis,” her eyes darted to me at the same time as mothers, and I nodded. 

 

“When the time comes, I will not hold you back” mother said as Brienne stood, drew her sword and knelt in front of mother to pledge her loyalty.

 

“Then I am yours, my lady, I will shield your back and give my life for yours, if it comes to that, I swear it by the Old Gods and the new” Brienne’s head was bowed and mother smiled kindly at her. 

 

“I vow that you shall always have a place in my home and at my table and that I shall ask no service of you that might bring you dishonour, I swear it by the Old Gods and the new” mother replied and Brienne stood with a small smile on her face. 

 

“Well seeing as all that is out of the way, I’m going to go catch us a rabbit or 3” I got up and snagged the dagger that lay discarded by the fire. 

 

“Ris,” mother called quietly as I turned my back to her and Brienne, I looked over my shoulder with a raised eyebrow and she smiled “stay safe” 

 

—————

 

When we’d reached Robb’s camp we were immediately greeted by Storm who trotted by the horses, spooking Brienne when she’d quite literally materialised from the shadows, since we’d been gone Storm had gotten bigger, more menacing and it seemed even the men were weary of her. 

 

I hopped off my horse as we near the cells and rubbed Storm between her ears gently “I’ll see you at dinner” I mumbled as I stalked off, not waiting for mother to say anything, she knew what I was going to do, where I was going and she also knew not to stop me. 

 

Once more Jaime was moved away from the rest of the prisoners and as I neared he slowly lifted his head, his eyes widened when he realised it wasn’t who he expected “Ris, you’re back” he smiled, he was covered in layers of shit and mud, his hair darker then it used to be. 

 

“Someone had to be sure you weren’t murdered by my brothers men” I said crossing my arms, his gaze swept over my face and I knew he could see how tired I was, there was bags under my eyes that resembled trunks and mother had commented on my complexion looking sallow. 

 

“Have you been sleeping?” He asked and I quickly shook my head in reply, my fists clenched under my arms. 

 

“There’s been too much to do” I mumbled, “too much to think about” he perked up when I mentioned thinking. 

 

“And tell me, what have you been thinking so hard about?” He asked causing me to sigh out of my nose. 

 

“Us” I said and he shrunk back against the post, clearly I frightened him with that, he swallowed loudly and looked away from me. 

 

“Here to tell me that you’ve had a Maester annul our marriage?” He spat with venom and I had to forced myself not to laugh, it had been suggested by both Renly and Robb that I do that but I couldn’t, even the thought of doing that made me feel sick to my stomach. 

 

“No, I would never” I said quietly and he turned his face back to me as I opened his cell, it stank like shit and piss “no I couldn’t do that,” I stooped low and touched his face gently, his bread had grown more, become rougher, his blonde hair was no longer golden. 

 

He breathed in a sigh of relief and smiled gently at me “thank the gods” he leaned his head into the palm of my hand and kissed it gently. 

 

“But if you ever keep something like that from me again, not even your gods will be able to save you from my wrath,” I moved closer to him and he leaned out to try and kiss my lips “do you understand?” I asked and he nodded before I pressed my lips to his roughly, he groaned against my lips when someone moved in his cell, I pulled away abruptly and met the eyes of a younger boy “who are you?” I asked, I had been so focused on Jaime that I hadn’t even seen the other man. 

 

“Alton Lannister, m’lady” the boy said quietly and I raised to stand straighter, “I was captured during the battle of Whispering Wood” I hummed in acknowledgement, he looked familiar.

 

“Interesting” I said with a shake of my head, I looked back to Jaime, “are we in agreement, Ser Jaime?”

 

“You have my word, Lady Anaris” Jaime said, his eyes never leaving my face, I stooped low once more and kissed him tenderly. 

 

“Good, I’ll send food to you and Alton” I said nodding at the young boy who practically bounced at the thought of food that wasn’t old bread, I left the cell and locked it because the Karstark guard was watching me closely as I neared him I realised it was Lord Karstark’s son Torrhen. 

 

“Heard you and your mother were back” Torrhen said, his northern accent was thick much like his fathers “can’t keep you from your Kingslayer for long” he grinned which caused me to scoff and slap him on the back of the head. 

 

“Shush you” I smirked and looked over my shoulder where Jaime was, he was staring at us intently, “I need you to deliver food to Ser Jaime and Alton Lannister” I turned back to Torrhen who was grinning in Jaime’s direction. 

 

“It’ll be done” Torrhen looked back at me “you know when we were children I’d hoped to marry you” he said loud enough for Jaime to hear, I was struck silent when I heard a scoff come from behind me, it was most definitely Jaime, “you were always the most beautiful” Torrhen went to kiss my cheek but I stopped him with my hand on his face. 

 

“Stop it” I said making him chuckle against my hand, “you’re playing with fire Torrhen” I removed my hand and he grinned over my shoulder “make sure they get food please” I patted him on the shoulder and moved past him to Robb’s tent where Roose Bolton was standing guard “who spat in your breakfast?” I asked as I neared him. 

 

“Nobody that wants to continue living” he replied, he tilted his head in the direction of Robb’s tent, “he’s waiting for you” I nodded and went to move past him when he stopped me “he’s gotten close to a foreign woman,” Roose said as he stepped away from me, I entered the tent and grinned at Robb who was already waiting with his arms wide. 

 

“Gods I feel like it’s been years” I mumbled as he pulled me into a bear hug and held me tightly against his chest. 

 

“A week is too long to have you and mother away from me” I pulled back and he touched my cheek, “you look ill, have you been sleeping?” He asked making me snuggle deeper into his embrace. 

 

“Too many things happening” I replied, I looked up at my brother and smiled slyly at him “what is this that Roose Bolton tells me about a Foreign woman?” I asked and Robb’s cheeks went bright red with embarrassment. 

 

“She has a name and it’s Talisa, she’s from Volantis, she’s been helping with the wounded” he looked more embarrassed when I grinned wide “don’t you even think about it, Ris” he warned but my mind was already planning ways to meet the woman that had gotten my brothers attention. 

 

“Oh come on, Robb, I’m not going to do anything nasty, maybe tell her a few stories of you as a child” he must’ve seen the glint in my eye because he groaned and turned away from me “I take it mother has warned you about fraternising because of your betrothal” 

 

“She scolded me, as only she can” he sat at the head of the table with a deep sigh “I just wish…” he stopped himself before he could say what he truly wanted. 

 

“I know Robb, I also wish that you could be with this Lady Talisa” I moved forward and ran my fingers through his hair, he closed his eyes for a moment and breathed in a shuttering breath.

 

"Mother said the same thing" he mumbled as he pulled me into his arms, "I like her Ris, she makes me feel like I'm me again" it was my turn to sigh.

 

"My poor sweet brother," I clutched him tightly and buried my face into the furs of his cloak, "I wish I could help you be with her" I met his eyes when I pulled away.

 

"Maybe I should just marry her without anyone but a Maester as a witness" he chuckled lightly but there was a moment where something made his blue eyes darken.

 

"If you do give me a bit of forewarning, I'd like to get my excuses ready" I snickered when he playfully shoved me with a laugh, for a moment I could almost forget that we were at war and no longer at Winterfell with father watching over us with a smile.

 

—————

 

I glared at the scroll that Roose Bolton had handed me as soon as I had entered the war tent, the parchment crumpled into a ball, "we've had ravens from White Harbour, Barrowton and the Dreadfort, I'm afraid it is true" Roose said to Robb who sat at the head of the table with his head in his hands.

 

"Why?" he asked no one in particular, mother touched his shoulder gently "why would Theon.." I threw the parchment down.

 

"Because the Greyjoys are treasonous whores" I growled, my fists balled ready to hit something.

 

"Our brothers?" Robb asked Roose who looked between mother, Robb and I with questioning eyes.

 

"We've heard nothing of them," he looked back at me and spoke once again "Rodrik Cassel is dead" my back tensed and tears burned in the back of my eyes, Theon was going to pay.

 

"Anaris and I must go north at once" he went to stand but I spoke too fast.

 

"Robb, there's still a war to win" I said quietly making him scoff and shake his head "you are king in the North" I looked to Roose for help.

 

"How can I call myself king if I can't hold my own castle?" Robb interrupted Roose before he could even open his mouth "how can I ask men to follow me if I can't..." Roose finally interrupted him.

 

"You are a king, that means you don't have to do everything yourself" Roose told him and mother spoke up trying to calm him down as well. 

 

"Let me go and talk to Theon" she said quietly but Robb just shook his head.

 

“There will be no talk,” Robb growled and mother pursed her lips but said nothing.

 

"He will die for this" I said and Roose nodded, for once we were in complete agreement which was a scary thought, I knew Roose like all the Bolton line before him were blood thirsty, they liked killing and flaying, the thought of being like him made my stomach rebellious and made the rabbit I ate for breakfast think about repaying me for killing it.

 

“Theon holds the castle with a skeleton crew. Let me send word to my bastard at the Dreadfort,” Roose looked to me and then back at Robb, “He can raise a few hundred men and retake Winterfell before the new moon. We have the Lannisters on the run. If you march all the way back north now, you'll lose what you gained. My boy would be honoured to bring you Prince Theon's head” I hummed in agreement with his plan, Ramsey Snow’s reputation was deadly, he, like his father, loved killing and hunting. 

“Tell your son Bran and Rickon's safety is paramount,” I said to Roose who nodded in understanding, I was trusting him and his son with the lives of my brothers. 

 

“And Theon, I want him brought to us alive,” Robb said, seething at Theon’s betrayal “I want to look him in the eye and ask him why, and then I'll take his head myself” Bolton bowed and left us to ourselves, each one of us were hoping that Theon was at least merciful towards Bran and Rickon. 

1