coffee
7 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

CHAPTER 6

The morning sunlight pierced through the windows of a lonely apartment. The obnoxious buzz of Ky's alarm on his phone repeatedly sounded off again and again. Groggy and tired from the night before Ky quickly slid his hand over the "off" button on his screen. He breathed deeply and turned over in his bed to check the time. Ky picked up his phone and with slight annoyance set it down firmly as he remembered.

Ky- "Ugh. That's right. I don't have to work today. I could've slept in."

He sat up in his bed and rested his head in his hands as he tried to allow his body to wake up. His head was pounding, and his stomach felt like it was tied in a knot. As he stood up to make his way to his computer, he stumbled and almost lost his step as the world around him seemed to spin violently. 

Ky- "Man. My head is killing me."

Ky flopped into his computer chair and rubbed his eyes right before putting on his glasses. 

Ky- "I really wish I'd remembered to turn my alarm off today. (Sigh) Ah well, I'm up now. Guess I'll see if the others are on."

A family of birds chirped happily outside his window as the bright warm light of the sunrise came pouring into his apartment. Ky sat back in his gaming chair for a moment trying to recount all the events from the night before wondering if he said anything he'd later come to regret. He waited for his body and brain to fully wake up, before he'd boot up his computer. He sat his arm on his desk in front of him and rubbed his eyes once more. He yawned and turned toward his computer tower. He reached down to turn it on but right as his finger made contact with the power button his phone buzzed.

Ky- "Ugh. I swear if it's Izawa."

Ky picked up his phone and looked at the screen. Upon seeing who it was he jokingly thought to himself.

Ky- "Maybe Izawa would have been better."

He opened the message and read it.

Ayako- "Hey. How you feeling this morning dude?"

Ky responded to her text.

Ky- "I'm ok."

Ayako- "Man I drank a little too much last night."

Ayako- "Hey I know you're off today. What are you doing this morning? Wanna go grab some coffee with me?"

At the moment Ky's head was spinning way too much to feel any kind of dramatic thoughts about Ayako's invitation, however nothing sounded better to him than a nice big cup of coffee. He didn't take much time to respond.

Ky- "Ok."

Ky figured with the way he was feeling maybe a cold brew coffee was just the thing he needed to bring him back from the dead. Then once he was done with that, he could finally hop on Adell and game for the rest of the day.

Ayako- "Great! There's a new coffee shop that opened up a few blocks from where we were last night."

Ky- "I know the place."

Ayako- "Well I shall see you there soon then! Meet me in 20?"

Ky sent Ayako a thumbs up emoji and closed the text. Dressed in the same clothes he fell asleep in from the night before he walked over to the bathroom to splash some cold water on his face and wet his hair down. He stumbled into the kitchen area and grabbed his wallet and keys off the counter and stepped outside. The intense brightness from the morning sunrise instantly made his eyes squint as if he were allergic to the daylight, and in this particular moment he may as well have been. The sound of the city traffic was only making his head pound even worse, and his stomach was starting to gargle violently. Ky headed down the street to the new coffee house where Ayako was already waiting for him. 

Ayako- "Hey Ky."

She said in a slightly less than usual chipper way.

Ky- "Hey."

Ayako- "Well let's go in. I need coffee bad."

When they walked inside Ky could still hear the malicious gossiping and laughter booming in his mind as he looked over at the empty table where those three girls sat the night before. As they approached the counter, he noticed there was a different person working the counter this time. It was a man of tall and slender stature who looked to be in his early forties. His hair was long and jet black worn freely. He wore a slim cut long sleeve black shirt under his jet-black apron. He seemed polite and friendly just like the woman who had served him last night. 

Male barista- "Good morning. What can I get for you."

Ayako- "I'd like a caramel blended please.'

Male barista- "Caramel blended you got it. And for you sir?"

Ky- "Oh, I'll be ordering separate."

Male barista- "Oh, terribly sorry. of course!"

The barista typed in Ayako's order and as he was entering it in, he said in a hushed voice. 

Male barista- "Really quick Just to let you know we do have a couple's discount. I'll go ahead and apply it to both your orders even though you're ordering separately."

Ky- "Wait no! It's not like..."

Ayako- "Thank you so much!"

Once again Ayako cut off Ky's response making things slightly awkward for him. His head was still throbbing but now his face was feeling hot. The barista chuckled lightly and asked Ky what he would like to order.

Male barista- "And what can I get you sir?"

Ky- "I'll have a cold brew please."

Male barista- "We have a couple different options. Can I recommend the house blend. It's strong but subtle with a smooth finish."

The barista leaned in slightly and put his hand up by his face and loudly whispered to Ky.

Male barista- "It's perfect for hangovers."

He said with a wink. 

Ky- "I'll try that."

Male barista- "Coming right up!"

He said with a laugh. After Ky got his receipt the two of them walked over to an open booth and sat down across from each other. 

Ayako- So. What'd you think of our little crew last night.

Ky- "Um. I mean they seemed cool."

Ayako- "Everyone seemed to really like you. Especially Koji (Giggle). I got a bunch of texts after I got home from the others. They all want you to hang out again soon."

Ky- "Hang out again?"

Ayako- "Yeah. like I said everyone really likes you."

Male barista- "Order up!"

Ayako- "Oh! That's us! Hang on one second Ky."

Ayako got up to go grab hers and Ky's drinks and walked back over to the table.

Ky- "I could have gotten that."

Ayako- "It's fine. SO anyways as I was saying."

Just then the girls from the night before walked in. Ky instantly recognized their obnoxious laughter coming from behind him. His blood ran cold, and his mood completely shifted, and Ayako could see it. 

Ayako- "Is everything ok?"

Male barista- "Oh hey girls! Back for the usual?"

Girls- "Hi Mr. Akamine!"

The girls' painfully fake politeness made Ky's skin crawl.

Male barista- "Order what you want. It's on us!"

Girl 1- "Thanks Mr. Akamine!

Girl 2-"He's so awesome!"

Girl 3- "Where's Chitose?"

Male Barista- "Oh she's in class right now. Working hard as always. But that girl has a bright future ahead of her."

Girl 3- "Well tell her we said hi!"

Male barista- "Will do. You girls have a wonderful day now."

Girls- "You too Mr. Akamine. Thanks for the coffee!"

The girls sat down at a different table across the coffee shop this time, but Ky still couldn't bring himself to be anywhere near their presence.

Ky- "Hey."

Ayako- "Yeah Ky?"

Ky- "Is it alright if we take this someplace else?"

Ayako- "OfCourse. Where would you like to go?"

Ky- "I don't care. I just can't be here right now."

Ayako- "Ok."

After leaving the coffee shop Ayako and Ky found themselves sitting down on a park bench in the very same park where Ky ran into Koji and Leah the other night. The cool crisp mid-morning air made for a perfect ambiance to enjoy their drinks. Even though the two of them were off today, it was still a workday for most, so the park was a nice quiet and relaxing spot with very few people around.

Ayako- "So, what's up? I've never seen you like that before."

Ky- "It's nothing. I just... I can't stand people like them."

Ayako- "Who, those girls?"

Ky- "Yeah. The truth is. I was in there last night before I met up with you at the bar, and they were there too. The entire time all they did was bad mouth this girl, they kept going on and on about how much they didn't like her. Come to find out from what I've put together, the girl they were talking about is the owner's daughter. Infact, I think we may have just met her dad."

Ayako- "How awful."

Ky- "Yeah. When the girl finally showed up, suddenly they were as nice as could be to her to her face but of course as soon as she left, they went right back to talking about her again. They even bashed her parents and the coffee shop even though they give them free coffee whenever they want. The worst part is, they take advantage of her and her family's kindness. I can't stand people like that!"

Ayako- "Well I hope she's able to find consolation somewhere. Sounds like she could use a real friend and loose those toxic people in her life."

Ayako paused to take a sip of her drink. 

Ayako- "You're a really caring person Ky."

Ky- "Huh? What do you mean?"

Ayako- "I mean you went out of your way to carry someone else's pain on your own shoulders, and you've never even met that person before. For all you know that girl might not even realize what's been going on this entire time so she may not even feel the sting of betrayal yet. And yet you were willing to carry these feelings around all by yourself simply because you felt bad for her, and you believed she deserved better. I think that's really sweet."

As the cool autumn wind blew through their hair Ayako smiled at Ky and said to him. 

Ayako- "I guess we probably should have ordered hot coffee today huh?"

Ky chuckled and replied.

Ky- "(Chuckle) Yeah I guess so."

Ayako- "So Ky, tell me more about yourself. You said your mom's from America?"

Ky- "Yeah. Both my parents are Japanese but my mom's only half. She moved to America when she was really little when my grandpa had gotten a job offer overseas. They stayed, and she grew up there until she moved back here for college where she met my dad."

Ayako- "Oh, where's he from?"

Ky- "Hokkaido."

Ky said with a slight hint of pain in his voice.

Ayako- "Oh wow. That's so cool. I bet you have lots of family there."

Ky- "(Sigh) Yeah, but we don't really keep in touch."

Ayako- "Oh, I'm sorry."

Ky- "It's ok. My whole life they've always treated me different because I didn't grow up in little their town with the rest of them. I always hated going there as a kid. They always treated me like a stranger or an unwelcomed guest anytime I came around. My cousins always acted like they didn't want me around and would look for ways to exclude me. Plus, none of them could stand the fact that my dad married my mother. So, I just kind of stay away from them. 

Ayako- "I'm sorry I didn't mean to..."

Ky- "Huh? Oh. No, It's ok. To be honest, you're the first person I've ever told any of this to."

Ayako smiled gently and proceeded.

Ayako- "So if you don't mind me asking. Where are your parents now?"

Ky- "They moved back there a few years ago. I didn't want to go so I started working at Umi'z and moved into my own apartment here."

Ayako- "Well, if you ask me Ky. It sounds like you're right where you need to be."

Ky didn't quite understand what she was talking about, but he appreciated the kind words none the less.

Ayako got up out of her seat and stretched out with her arms fully extended.

Ayako- "Man! After that I am wide awake now! So got any big plans to spend your entire day off today?"

Ky- "Well, I guess I'm gonna go back to my apartment and game for the rest of the day."

Ayako- "With your online friends?"

Ky- "Mhm."

Ayako- "Well, I've got nothing going on. Maybe I can come with you and see your place?"

Ky suddenly turned a pastel shade of red in the face.

Ky- "Oh um well. I. I mean..."

Ayako- "Hahahahahaha It's ok dude! It's nothing like that! I was just interested in seeing where you live that's all. Maybe meeting your friends."

Ky- "Right. Um. Yeah. Ok. I guess."

Ayako- "Sweet! You lead the way captain!"

Ayako cutely leaned in with a wink and did a saluting motion to Ky. The two of them left the park and began the short walk over to Ky's apartment building. Once inside Ky proceeded with his normal routine of throwing his important items onto his kitchen counter and led her into the living area. 

Ky- "Well, here we are."

Ayako- "Wow! It's so cool. Me and Kasumi are talking about moving out and getting a place together soon, but I still live at home for now. 

Wrapped in the excitement of seeing a young urban peer's accomplishment of living alone she turned her focus over to the corner at Ky's computer set up. Ayako walked over and flopped down in his gaming chair and turned back to face him once again saying with a wink.

Ayako- "So, is this where all the magic happens?"

Ky- "Um."

As usual Ky didn't know how to respond to Ayako's teasing questions. 

Ayako let out a giggle and asked him about his online friends.

Ayako- "So! What about these buddies you talk about? They online right now?"

Ky- "Oh yeah, they should be."

Ayako got up and walked over to the kitchen area to look around for a second while Ky booted up his desktop. As soon as she heard the notification that HOA had been booted up, she instantly walked back over to him.

Ayako- "My brother plays this game all the time. I'm surprised you two haven't ran into each other on here at some point."

After she said that the world of Adell was suddenly in front of them. Ky unhooked his headphones and switched over to a wireless speaker he had sitting below his desk on his computer tower. No later than he did that did the voices start coming in.

- "Hey, there he is!"

- "Bout time you showed up! We've been waiting forever for you man."

Ky- "Hey everyone. How's it going?"

- "Better now. You ready to do this?!"

Ky- "Hey hang on a sec you guys I have someone here I'd like you all to meet."

- "Huh?"

Ky- "Ayako! Come say hi to everyone."

Ayako- "Oh. Um Hey everyone."

Ayako awkwardly responded with hesitation in her voice. There was no response from the other side.

Ky- "Hey guys. Ayako said...Hold on a sec maybe my mic is acting up. Can you hear me?"

Ayako with her head down gently responded to Ky.

Ayako- "Ky I think..."

Ky- "Hello!"

- "Is this the girl from the other night?"

Ky- "Oh, there they are. Yeah, this is her. Say hello!"

The light shining in from outside seemed to cast a shadow over her eyes as she kept her head down slightly. 

Ayako- "Ky. I think there's a little misunderstanding going on here."

Ky- "What do you mean?"

Ayako- "Ky. I..."

Ky turned around tilted his head up to face her with a slight smile. This was the first time she'd seen a genuine smile upon his usually expressionless face. She contemplated telling him what was really going on in her mind at the moment but then relented with a sigh. When she tilted her head back up, she had a large innocent grin plastered upon her.

Ayako- "I don't think your mic is connecting at the moment, ha-ha."

Ky looked down with a disappointed expression and replied.

Ky- "Yeah I think you may be right..."

He began typing into the chat box.

Hey everyone if you can hear this, I'm gonna log off for a bit. I'll be back on later once I get this thing figured out."

- "See ya Ky!"

- "Love you, Ky!"

- "See ya!"

Ky- "Hmm. Weird. It seemed to work that time."

Ky once again turned back to Ayako and without noticing the sudden shift in her usual spritly demeanor he started saying.

Ky- It's ok. I'll get it figured out this evening and..."

Ayako- "Ky."

Ky- "Huh? Umm, yeah?

Ayako- "This Saturday, I'm going to see Keisuke's band play at a venue not far from here. Would you like to go."

Ky- "Oh... I mean. I'll have to see. "

Ky said with the pain of anxiety and shame across his face.

Ayako- "It's just that, I think you'd really enjoy yourself if you came out with us again."

Ky- "Well, I'll see."

Ayako smiled warmly. 

Ayako- "Well I'd better get going. I'm meeting up with Kasumi in a little bit to go clothes shopping."

Ky- "Oh. Ok, well then I guess I'll see you tomorrow then."

Ayako- "Yeah. See you then Ky. Have a good rest of your day."

Ayako in a somber manor turned walked out of the apartment. Ky was left alone in his living room pondering on what could have happened to his mic. He decided to plug his headset back in and log back on. 

- "Hey."

Ky- "Hey."

- "Soo. Is your friend gone?"

Ky- "Um, yeah she left."

- "Ok! Well, let's do this! Where were we?!"

Everything seemed to go back to normal suddenly. At least for the ones on the other side of the screen. But for Ky, Things only got more confusing the more they started making sense.

Ky- "Hey guys?"

- "Yeah Ky, what's up?"

Ky- "My mic wasn't broken, was it?

There was a short pause with no response.

Ky- "So what was all that about?"

- "What was what about?"

Ky- "You know. That whole thing just now."

- "You mean with that girl?"

Ky- "Yeah, that"

- "Look Ky. We don't know what that girl is planning but we've all talked about it, and we've got a real bad feeling about here."

Ky- "But you barley just met her."

One of the female voices spoke out.

- "Listen Ky. Just trust us when we tell you this. We're your friends after all. We're only looking out for you in the end."

- "Now, can we start playing already."

- "Yeah, I'm so over this conversation."

- "Yeah! Let's do it!"

- "Let's go!"

Ky didn't express his usual excitement when they finally began their gaming session. The whole night just didn't feel right to him. So much so that he actually logged off early for once.

Ky- "Hey. I think I'm gonna log off for the night."

- "Oh, you gonna go get some dinner real fast?" 

Ky- "No I um... Yeah actually, I'm getting hungry."

- "Ok well we'll talk to you in a bit then."

Ky logged out and shut down his computer. He got up and walked over to his balcony and leaned up against the railing and looked out over his neighborhood. Under his breath he whispered to him self.

Ky- "And tired."

That night Ky didn't go out for dinner. He heated up a bowl of instant ramen and went straight to bed. Though he slept well enough through the night, still something kept nagging at him and wouldn't let him feel at peace. He didn't know what it was, but something was definitely bothering him that evening. The worst part about it was, he didn't know how to deal with that feeling.

 

 

0