Chapter 1
33 3 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Crawl out through the fallout back to me..."         "GOOD LUCK MORTAL."                                      ....................................................                                         

I cough, then blearily open my eyes, my vision blurred with sleep. My back aches like I've been sleeping on the ground, plus I'm cold. I groan in discomfort, then slowly get up into a sitting position, my head pounding like I'd gone on a serious bender. I put my head in my hands and mutter "What the hell did I drink last night." 

My eyes blink closed for a second, and I remember fragments of what happened. 'Invited to a party-drove there-greeted by Penny and her husband- drank vodka-hit on by a brunette-went with to her apartment-we fucked-door crashed open, a man shouting something, then a loud banging noise and screaming..' I open my eyes and glance around, finding myself under what looks like a dilapidated diner from the fifties-and naked. 'Fuck!' I leap to my feet unsteadily, hands covering my Little Drake and I take in my surroundings, finding.....

"OH HORSE COCK! WHERE THE HELL AM I!?" I shout unintentionally, because what I see...is a wasteland, with a wrecked, partially derailed train in the distance, and I can barely see what looks like some town ruins beyond that. I look around my immediate surroundings quickly after, seeing I had misjudged what kind of roof I was under. I see parked cars, and a sinkhole filled with water and yellow barrels smack dab in the center of this place. 'Car park? No, that looks a big ass screen where the weird vehicles are facing....a drive-in? Yeah, I think that's what its called. And the trees all look..dead. ' I shiver mightily as a slight breeze carries from the east. 'Or it could be that this is winter. And I'm naked, in the middle of nowhere. Shit.' 

I take a step towards the suprisingly intact door to the drive-in diner, carefully watching my steps as I step inside and habitually close the door behind me, not noticing the leaf pile slightly rustling. I then look around, see stairs, then promptly head up then.

I gag as I smell rotten meat and look up to where the smell is coming from...and see a decaying body laying on a bloodied mattress, its throat apparently ripped out, and its face scratched to all hell. "Oh my Lord.." I quietly say in horror, but then I notice the corpse is fully clothed. 'No, I can't just..but I'm cold, and its not doing them much use.' I mutter a quick prayer for the unfortunate soul and approach the body, gagging at the smell. I shakily and quickly remove the slightly bloodied and worn clothes. It takes me several minutes. "Forgive me." I say to the now nude body of the poor man. I then notice a pistol and two bullets on the desk behind him, along with a green duffle bag. I grab all three things, quickly noticing the gun already has three bullets in the mag already. 

"I'm not in Kansas anymore, am I?" I rhetorically ask myself, not expecting a response. Unfortunately, I got one in the form of very loud chittering and the sounds of something punching through concrete. I jump in fright, and immediately grip the pistol as I was taught. I aim down the stairs as I hear what sounds like nails clacking against the floor below. I take a crouched position in the doorway leading onto the roof, figuring if I'm a shit shot, I can always jump off the roof and run. I see something come barreling up the stairs, nearly to fast for me to aim at and shoot, but luckily I hit it straight between the eyes, its brains blowing out the back of its skull, splattering the stair well behind it in gore. Unluckily, there were two more right behind it, and I didn't have the time to shoot or leap back before they were on me. "FUCK- NO!!" I scream in fright, than pain as they latch onto my arms, digging their sharp and long buck teeth into me, their claws scratching at my freshly clothed self. I panic and briefly wish I wasn't alone, wishing that I didn't have to FIGHT these things alone. I find my thoughts briefly landing on Carter and Kat from Halo:Reach. 

I then feel SOMETHING drain from me besides my blood, and hear what sound like yelps of confusion. I quickly get distracted by another of the overgrown rats lunging at my face and scream again, getting my feet beneath me briefly from my bowled over position and leaping backwards hastily. I struggle with the other two latched onto my arms, waving them from side to side trying to get the fuckers off as I backpeddle and tumble over some knee height outcropping. 

I hear rapid gunshots come from below and sounds of heavy footsteps running up the stairs as I desperately kick at the third rat, trying to keep it from getting on me as I pound the other two bastards into the roof, briefly stunning them. I fail at stopping the thing, and it leaps at my face, claws aiming for my eyes and I swear the fucker held glee within its own-BANG!!

Blood covers my face, some getting into my eyes as I gasp and briefly pause in shock before resuming my struggles with the other two stubborn rats firmly gnawing and scratching away at my arms, scrambling to my feet.  Someone grabs my arms from behind, spinning me around as someone else stabs the two overgrown rats in the skulls with a large knife, too fast for me to see. The rodents grips slacken and limply fall as the person behind me shakes my arms jerkily to dislodge them. I might have whimpered a little as they fell and exposed the REALLY bad bite and scratch wounds to open air, one of my arms bleeding heavily. "Shit, the artery in his arm must have been nicked! Kat, hold him still!" My legs give out. "He's gone limp!"

I tear my eyes away from the bleeding wounds and take in my rescuers-'...'- my brain halts all thought processes, and I black out from the stress of what happened, and who saved me.

6