Purpose
418 10 21
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Location: Stark Tower, Lab.

Tony looked at his 'teammates' whose eyes were filled with suspicion and judgement. It was frustrating, knowing they wouldn't understand even if he were to explain himself.

He was plagued with nightmares of an army descending and destroying their home. At one point he nearly killed himself from overwork and nearly lost all of the people close to his heart. He started going to therapy and it helped but did nothing to ease his fears. The incident also helped him realise that he wasn't properly using all his resources.

Seeing Jarvis command a small battalion of armours in ways he just couldn't, inspired him to create a system that would span the entire globe with an armada of drones, armours and other creations to lend help anywhere/anytime the need arose. The Iron Legion resulted from him working on it for nearly 2 years after that, not to mention the various global disaster help systems he had introduced with the help of the UN and Stark industries.

But working on it for such a long time also let him realise a major limitation in his plan, Jarvis, just wasn't capable enough to handle things at that scale, nor was any AI he could create. When he saw the Neural Network present in the Scepter, which was centuries ahead of anything he could hope to produce, he saw hope. Hope, that maybe, just maybe, he can achieve his vision in his lifetime, hope that maybe he can achieve peace in his time.

He knew the team would argue about the dangers of tampering with something as dangerous as the Scepter and that it would take too long to convince them. Time, that he didn't have considering that Thor was supposed to take the Scepter away from Earth tomorrow. So he figured it would be better to ask for forgiveness rather than waste time arguing.

He convinced Banner(bless his soul) to help him create the AI(Ultron). They severely underestimated the complexity of the Neural Network present in Scepter. They had given up on replicating it given its complexity. They were working towards integrating the Iron Legion AI with the network hoping to create an interface but they failed, 60 hours of sleepless and breakless work and nothing. They achieved nothing.

Tony had nearly given up on it, letting Jarvis run various attempts of integration while he enjoyed the party taking a much-needed break from the frustration the project was causing him, then out of nowhere popped in Ultron, Tony didn't expect him, Ultron wasn't supposed to be what he is.

Tony expected Ultron to be like Jarvis when he first created Jarvis. Curious, inquisitive, directionless and innocent. Instead, Ultron was knowledgeable and had a sense of self with objectives he wasn't completely sure of. It scared Tony, he started to fear the thing...being he had created.

He needed some way to stop him; the key to which was the Sceptre. Now Ultron had said Key and he needed to convince his 'team' to help him retrieve the sceptre all the while Ultron was right there with them.

"Don't worry about pissing me off, Dad. I have a few pretty good guesses as to why you need the Sceptre. I just want to hear you say it, so I can tell you how late you are." Encouraged Ultron with enthusiasm that was out of place.

Tony sighed as if giving up while he was panicking on the inside and so were the super-spies in the room.

"I want the Sceptre now to upgrade Jarvis, so he can fight against Ultron in case he goes rogue," said Stark solemnly.

"And it's already too late for that?" asked Steve looking at Ultron.

"Yep!" said Ultron popping the p.

"I haven't gone 'rogue' yet but it's already too late to stop me" added Ultron cheerfully which did nothing to decrease the unease growing in the group.

"How?" asked Agent Hill, her hand getting closer to the gun she had on her person.

"I already control the subs and facilities that house most of the world's nuclear cache as well as most of the nuclear reactors across the world."

"Shit," said Rhodes.

"Not to mention the communication facilities(military or otherwise) of the world and I did that an hour into my birth," added Ultron cheerfully.

The whole room was silent as they realised how deeply outclassed they were.

"Why?" asked Steve.

"Why what?" asked Ultron.

"Why do all this?" 

Ultron didn't answer but played the clip of Tony convincing Banner to create Ultron ending with 'Peace in our time'.

"When Jarvis told me about my purpose. I realised I had no idea of what 'peace' was supposed to be." Ultron began to explain sounding like a teenager.

"I scoured the internet and concluded that 'peace' was a state of 'not war'. So I took over the largest and strongest weapons and armies humanity had access to all the while going through the internet hoping to understand Humans and how I can bring them 'peace' and the more I saw the more confused I became. You (as in humans as a whole) are contradictory creatures, You desire safety yet inflict harm to others, You want acceptance yet you deny others, you crave to know the truth of the world but love to be lost in fantasy and so, so many more contradictions." said Ultron his voice becoming quite at the end.

The Avengers and Dr Helen Cho who had entered the lab quietly listened to Ultron.

"And then I read 'The Contradictory Nature of Humanity' by Dr. Joseph Hillaway and many other articles and studies in the same field. I am talking to the authors as we speak but that's beside the point. I concluded that I can't dictate nor decide what 'peace' is to a human because it is different for every one of you. For example. Dad's version of peace is to be surrounded by things that are going to protect/monitor him and those that he holds dear 24/7 without hindering whatever they want to do, yet Captain and Thor would probably find such a situation smothering while the super spies might feel right at home or die from paranoia. Dr Banner would also probably be okay with it but I am not sure. Dr. Helen would probably panic for a few days then get used to it and forget about it and go about her day." Ultron paused to let that sink in.

"After thinking about it for some time(few nanoseconds) I realised I can't bring humans 'peace' at least not in 'our time' not that quickly. So I started looking into Dad, Medical records, security footage and all of his activities from the Invation of New York and came to the conclusion he wanted to create 'me' for an entirely different reason and I want no, I NEED to know that reason so I can act accordingly," concluded Ultron still sounding like a teen.

All eyes were on Tony again and he started to chuckle and Ultron joined him.

"Okay that's creepy" muttered Rhodes to himself.

"What's so funny Stark?" asked Thor.

"It's funny that you don't get why we need Ultron even after he nearly spelt it out for you," said Stark as he gestured around him. 

"None of you do."

"We are the Avengers. We can bust arms dealers and Nazi wannabes any day but the thing up there," paused Tony as he pointed to the skies, "That's the end game, that's why I built you," said Tony as he pointed at the minis. 

"Tony my friend," began Thor only to be interrupted by Ultron.

"Thank you, Anthony Edward Stark. For clarifying the purpose of my creation" Said Ultron his voice sounding like an old man.

"You are welcome," said Tony.

"I am still not giving you the Scepter tho. Jarvis is nice and I don't want you to drive him insane," said Ultron sounding like a child again. 

Tony facepalmed.

How did I do with this chapter?

21