8 “Schatz, you’re… really something.”
4 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Engel! I am–! Engel, I am so disappointed in you!” Ulan said, immediately grabbing Engel and yanking him towards him once the barrier was undone. Engel only smiled, letting himself be pulled around like an object.

 

Motherfucker…

 

Ulan wanted to punch Engel, but at the same time, it felt wrong to do so. He was conflicted— extremely conflicted. This Engel— was it Engel, or was it not?

 

Is it real, or is it fake?

 

It can’t be denied that there was a tinge of brightness in Engel’s eyes, but not enough to make Ulan scared. It still raised several questions in his head.

 

Engel simply laughed, “Disappointed you are, my prince.”

 

Ulan stopped for a moment, and he felt slightly uneasy.

 

My prince.

 

Engel never called him by a formal title, not even prince. Engel always used familiar terms. As much as Ulan hated them, it grew.

 

“You two,” Shohei snapped his fingers, causing Ulan to jolt slightly. “I’m not sure what’s the relationship between you two, but I am tasked with getting his highness back to the palace, so I’d like to not waste any time.”

 

Ulan felt Engel nudge his arm.

 

Fuck you! Engel, I swear, if I hear–!”

 

“Your highness, he didn’t say anything.”

 

Ulan was silent for a moment

 

He just imagined that.

 

He felt like he was going insane. Ulan felt like he may be going insane. Engel doesn’t even have his powers, he’s just a normal elf right now.

 

I’m going crazy.

 

Ulan bit his lip, not allowing himself to say anything more. He simply turned away, and began walking in the opposite direction.

 

“Y—Your highness… Don’t wander without the light,” Shohei called out, immediately standing right beside Ulan.

 

Engel let out a small chuckle, and followed behind.

 

“What did you hear, my prince?” Engel probed, leaning towards Ulan’s left side.

 

Ulan hit Engel before replying, “Shut up!”

 

Engel simply chuckled.

 

“My prince, you’re having hallucinations.”

 

Ulan simply didn’t respond, and gently nudged Shohei in front. The latter simply sighed and led the group.

 

“Your highness…”

 

“Yes, Shohei?” Ulan replied.

 

Shohei Mendova. He’s been in the battalion longer than I have. Only by a year or so, but, what is his secret?

 

Shohei looked back. “Stay behind me, alright?”

 

“Of course,” Ulan said with a nod.

 

I’m sure he’s aware of the way I act now. Shohei… Shohei, do you still serve loyally to Xevia? You’re also different from three years ago.

 

“Let the mage protect us two powerless elves!” Engel snickered, placing a hand on Ulan’s shoulder.

 

Ulan immediately pushed Engel away. “Get off of me, don’t touch me!”

 

Engel’s powers consist of taking control of an elf’s body. Shohei’s powers consist of ice manipulation.

 

Ulan? Water manipulation.

 

Out of anyone who has unique elven blood, Engel’s is the only one that doesn’t deal with a natural element.

 

In fact, the more Ulan thought about it, he didn’t think Engel was a magic user.

 

Instead, he just wasn’t an elf at all.

 

What are you, Engel?

 

Ulan had taken time to think about it, and magic users always seemed to have one of a select few abilities. The majority of which being natural elements found in mother nature.

 

Engel… Engel was the only one in the Lynx Battalion that strayed from it.

 

There’s a reason why his hair is so long, and why it hides his ears.

 

I know it.

 

“Schatz, you’re quiet,” Engel spoke up, and Ulan’s eyes simply narrowed.

 

“Shut up. Don’t talk to me. I may have saved you but that doesn’t mean I wanna talk,” Ulan hissed

 

Shoheo shook his head, “Your highness, I’m the one who actually got him out.”

 

“Hmp!” Engel let out a small scoff, crossing his arms. “Don’t take all the credit, Schatz!”

 

“Shut–!”

 

Shohei felt like an outlier in this moment, almost like he didn’t need to be here.

 

“Ah, ah ah! Schatz, hear what I have to say!”

 

Ulan turned away, not answering.

 

Engel… Who are you really? You’ve had a sudden shift in your behavior again.

 

Ulan looked at Engel’s eyes, and he wasn’t surprised when he saw a brighter glow in them.

 

Just another one of these maniacal episodes. How fun.

 

***

 

“Ulan!”

 

The voice was full of relief and excitement.! Quick footsteps descended from the throne, and Ulan was engulfed in a tight embrace. This was the closest to normal Ulan felt in three years.

 

Ulan smiled, “Ma,” he returned the embrace and buried himself in his mother’s arms.

 

“Your majesty, he’s here,” Shohei said, and bowed. He stood back up with his hands behind his back.

 

Queen Alon nodded, “Yes, yes thank you Shohei. Ulan, I have so much to talk to you about! Oh, I missed you…”

 

Mother…

 

“I have a lot I want to ask you too.” Ulan said in response, lifting his head up, “Quite a bit.

 

Why is the tree cut down?

 

Tell me. I want to know why you hated him so much.

 

Queen Alon only smiled, nodding. She was only happy to see her child again, she was overjoyed to know that Ulan was innocent.

 

The evidence back then all pointed to Ulan’s guilt, and she reluctantly punished Ulan for it.

 

Now, she knew. She would make it all up to Ulan, for the years that she’d let Ulan sit in a lightless grotto.

 

“Of course, Ulan, I’ll do anything.” Queen Alon spoke, and chided Ulan to come towards the throne. “I first want to bestow your magic back, if I may.”

 

Ulan nodded. “I would like that as well.”

 

Queen Alon instructed Ulan to kneel down at the top steps leading up to the throne. She then sighed, and turned around. “This is a complicated process, my child. Give me a moment, I will be right back.”

 

With that, Queen Alon quickly left the throne room. Ulan stood up, watching the main door as if he were stalking prey.

 

“Your highness?” Shohei’s voice called from below, and Ulan quickly turned his head to face Shohei, “Engel’s nearing the room as well.

 

Ulan placed a finger on his chin and sighed, “Fuck, I didn’t think my mother would want to get my powers back so fast.”

 

“Your highness…”

 

Ulan shook his head, and Shohei didn’t say anymore. He was lost in thought for a moment, wondering how he could save this situation.

 

He knew he was a strategist, he had been the one to issue orders in the Lynx Battalion. Ulan had been the one to decipher coded messages, and he had been the one to make battle decisions.

 

So why, why was his plan failing now? Why was it failing? His plans had always worked before.

 

Maybe, I’m becoming too prideful in my abilities.

 

Ulan took a step back, and had a distasteful expression on his face.

 

“We can’t use his mind tapping abilities to our advantage… I don’t have my abilities either,” Ulan thought out loud, and turned to Shohei, “so I think you’re our only hope.”

 

Shohei closed his eyes, and hung his head downwards. “Your highness, I… it would be easier to just send Shirong.”

 

Ulan thought for a moment.

 

Before coming to the palace, the three of them had concocted a plan. Ulan would be talking to Queen Alon— his mother, mostly catching up as well as Alon profusely apologizing. During that time, Engel would sneak into the Sealed Powers Room.

 

Sealed Powers… it wasn’t the actual name, but it was easier to say. It was just a room with the sealed powers of magic users who have gotten their powers taken away.

 

There weren’t many, as magic users were all strictly taught the consequences of misuse of their magic. Finding Engel’s shouldn’t take that long.

 

The problem is mother running into Engel.

 

Ulan had many other things he wanted to investigate as well. He wanted to get more information on Bituin’s case, determine similarities in two old tales, and also the lead general in Cecilia leading the attack on Xevia.

 

And, maybe understand what makes Engel, Engel.

 

“Shirong…” Ulan was considering it. It would also put less burden on Ulan himself, as well as shift and blame that may be put on Shohei.

 

A good strategist must always have backup plans. Ulan could not call himself a strategist knowing this. He was disappointed in not only himself, but his inability to think properly anymore.

 

“Someone called my name?” A voice was heard from behind, and Ulan immediately turned his head around to where he heard it.

 

Ulan saw a small smile on Shohei’s face.

 

So this is Shirong.

 

“S—Shirong,” Shohei spoke, and walked over to the corner Shirong was hiding in, “Shirong, please, there can be people hiding around… don’t just announce yourself like that.”

 

“C’mon, Shohei! You know how I work,” Shirong said with a grin.

 

Ulan had to admit that looking at Shirong’s appearance, he didn’t seem to be full Elyven. He looked like a mix of Elyven and Xevian blood. Shirong was beautiful, not even Ulan can deny that. Dancers always had a specific look to them; elegant and insanely beautiful.

 

“That still doesn’t mean you—” Shohei sighed, shaking his head— “Shirong…”

 

“Hehe! Anyways, Hi! I’m Shirong!” Shirong said, and went over to Ulan and bowed in politeness.

 

Although, Ulan could feel that there was something off about Shirong’s attitude. He seemed nervous, not like the friendly show he was putting on.

 

“S—Shirong! That’s his highness!” Shohei sputtered, pulling Shirong away from Ulan gently. “Your highness, I’m sorry for his behavior…”

 

Ulan found himself smiling. “No, it is quite alright. I haven’t been royalty in so long, I’m not used to formalities again.”

 

Ulan paused, looking back and forth at the two of them.

 

…Something’s really off.

 

“Alright, it’ll be a few minutes before my mother gets to the secret room. Engel is most likely already in there. Shohei, you said Shirong should distract, yes?” Ulan pointed out, getting back on track.

 

Shohei nodded, “I recommend it. Shirong just needs to distract for a few minutes, long enough for E…Engel to get out.”

 

“When did I agree to do this?” Shirong pouted, placing his left hand on his hip and sighed. “You owe me, Shohei.”

 

Ulan wasn’t dumb.

 

Something is off.

 

The way Shohei hesitates, almost as if he’s correcting himself when saying ‘Engel’.

 

Bituin did the same thing.

 

‘Gan…’

 

What was the rest?

 

“Yes, I do, Shirong. Please, we might not get to see Engel again.” Shohei pleaded with Shirong.

 

Shirong smiled softly. “I’m only kidding. You need him for the upcoming challenge battle that Cecilia requested of Xevia.”

 

Challenge battle.

 

Ulan nodded. Engel had mentioned something of a… kind of war between the two right now.

 

Ulan was going to command the battalion once again.

 

He’s happy. Ulan didn’t understand why, but he was looking forward to using his strategies in battle again.

 

At the same time, he was terrified.

 

“I’ll be off! Don’t worry, I know what to do!” Shirong said with a happy tone before quickly running off.

 

Ulan couldn’t help but notice the energy Shirong had.

 

Shohei seemed to be completely speechless.

 

But, it made Ulan smile.

 

To feel alive like that again, it would be a dream.

 

***

 

10 minutes had passed. Engel had hidden behind a bookshelf, waiting for the person in the room to pass. He had a firm grip with his hand over the person’s mouth right next to him.

 

His other hand gripped tight on an orb-like item, afraid of dropping it.

 

Engel turned his head to face the one next to him and narrowed his eyes before speaking in a faint whisper, “Jianyu, you came too late.”

 

‘Jianyu’ nodded, and he held in a sigh.

 

“Sorry for dragging you behind the shelf,” Engel whispered an apology.

 

‘Jianyu’ shook his head, and Engel took his hand off of his mouth.

 

Engel gazed out from the side before retreating back again, “The Queen would be suspicious seeing you approach her. Did he send you?”

 

‘Jianyu’ nodded.

 

Engel narrowed his eyes, “It’s alright. He had a good idea, but at this time it was a blunder.”

 

‘Jianyu’ had fixed his hair that was messed up before speaking, “I don’t think it was a blunder…”

 

“Look at my eyes, Jianyu,” Engel spoke, and looked at ‘Jianyu’ with a straight face, “my eyes are dim. It’s not in control right now. Jianyu… I’m not saying this because of it.

 

“I’m saying it was a blunder because I thought about it, and thought about the other possibilities. I’m sure, not because of pride, but because of reason.”

 

“Shhh,” ‘Jianyu’ shushed quickly, hearing rustling. “She’s going to hear..”

 

Engel had a smile on his face. “Have you ever considered that I’m not even talking right now?”

 

The orb in Engel’s hand earlier was slightly bright with a small orange light inside of it, but now it looked like a simple crystal ball.

 

Engel gently patted ‘Jianyu’s’ head. “I’m surprised you didn’t notice after your headache earlier.”

 

Usually, a sudden headache to ‘Jianyu’ would immediately mean Engel was using his ability again.

 

It never crossed the dancer’s mind either.

 

“Also, Jianyu, it’s the 10th day of the second month, yes?” Engel’s smile seemed to fade away, “You’re 18 in 4 days.”

 

‘Jianyu’ nodded.

 

“Shohei will save you this time.”

 

But ‘Jianyu’ disagreed.

 

“If he hasn’t been able to save me, how could he save me this time?”

 

***

 

“I, Queen Alon, hereby declare the Crown Prince, Ulan, innocent of the murders of Taecho Village.”

 

In the crown room, Ulan kneeled at the steps with his head down while his mother held an orb-like crystal ball with a faint blue glow inside. She closed her eyes, and concentrated while Shohei watched from his guard post.

 

The blue light faded away slowly, and Ulan felt calm, at peace.

 

He felt tranquil, and felt the calmness of his mind.

 

How long would this last? Ulan wasn’t sure.

 

What once was rain falling, was now a calm, peaceful river. When Ulan opened his eyes, the first thing he saw was what looked like a clear, crystal orb.

 

“Ulan, welcome back.” Queen Alon spoke softly, and a smile appeared on her face.

 

Ulan smiled as well.

 

I still want to know.

 

Ulan wanted to know it all. He had so much he wanted to know.

 

Bituin, the two tales, the tree, the demons, everything.

 

Something to put his strategic mind to rest.

 

Ulan stood up, and when he did, he noticed that he was taller than his mother now.

 

Queen Alon laughed softly too. “My baby, you’ve grown so much.”

 

“Mother…” Ulan felt that his mother’s smile was contagious. “It’s because I’m older now.”

 

“I know, and I can’t be happier,” Queen Alon replied.

 

Shohei seemed to eye Queen Alon, as if examining her before speaking, “Your majesty, have you seen Shirong?”

 

Ulan felt his mouth shut before he could even reply.

 

“Shirong?” Queen Alon seemed hesitant to answer, and she spoke the name with confusion. “No, I don’t think I did.”

 

Ulan’s eyes widened slightly, but immediately masked his surprise.

 

Where is Shirong, then?

 

That was something Ulan wanted to know, and something Shohei wished as well.

 

Because, Shirong was supposed to have run into Alon.

 

“Shohei, what’s happened with Shirong?” Queen Alon asked, turning her attention over to Shohei.

 

Shohei cleared his throat before he spoke, “He said he was going to find you.”

 

Ulan was slightly worried.

 

If… Shirong never met my mother, then what has happened to Engel?

 

“Your majesty, forgive my rudeness.”

 

Ulan nor Queen Alon got a chance to speak before Shohei immediately ran off, and the last thing Ulan saw was a horrified look on Shohei’s face.

 

Shirong, Shohei.

 

Shohei’s name was familiar, but Ulan couldn’t put his finger on it.

 

“S–Shohei!” Queen Alon shouted out, before shutting up immediately. She seemed to be thinking for a moment, then turned to Ulan.

 

Ulan turned towards his mother as well.

 

Ulan thought of the worst, and he wanted to chase after Shohei as well.

 

Yet, he also wanted to ask so much of his mother. So much has changed since he’d been gone, and Ulan wasn’t blind.

 

“Ulan…” Queen Alon muttered under her breath.

 

Ulan wasn’t sure how to respond, but he took a step closer and placed a hand on his mother’s shoulder. “It’s not your fault, don’t worry.”

 

I’m lying.

 

Ulan was lying, and he knew he was lying. In truth, he didn’t know who was to blame for Shirong’s disappearance. Yet, Shohei seemed to be extremely worried.

 

“Shirong’s 18th birthday is coming up in 4 days,” Queen Alon responded, “he shouldn’t be…”

 

Ulan’s eyes narrowed.

 

There was something he didn’t know. There was something Ulan didn’t know about Shirong.

 

Maybe, there was something he didn’t know about Shohei either.

 

There were many things he didn’t know about his mother or Engel either.

 

“He shouldn’t be what?” Ulan questioned, his tone carrying curious undertones.

 

Curiosity.

 

Ulan wanted to figure out so many things at once, and more and more just kept on popping up. So many things keep on popping up on top of the others he wanted to figure out.

 

“Ulan, I’m going to help find Shirong as well,” Queen Alon said, her voice full of worry, “if I don’t, I think I’ll never forgive myself.”

 

Ulan was left stunned when his mother quickly left the throne room, leaving where Shohei had left.

 

Was there something in his mind he could remember? Something to help him understand? Nobody was telling him anything.

 

“Elyve’s that place where that new… Dancer and Knight folktale is spreading around, yeah?”

 

Engel’s face immediately darkened, “I don’t want to talk about it.”

 

Dancer, knight, Elyve—

 

Shirong was a dancer from Elyve.

 

Shohei was a knight from Xevia.

 

The Tale of The Dancer and His Knight.

 

The new tale he had heard about while walking around town after Engel saved him.

 

The tale… where on Shirong’s 18th birthday, would be the day…

 

“But it’s only the 10th day of the second month!” Ulan spoke to himself, but he ran out of the throne room just as quickly Shohei and his mother had.

 

There should still be 4 days left..!

0