4 “Schatz, please don’t get us caught.”
3 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

She looked sickly.

 

The girl in the wheelchair had an oxygen mask connected to an oxygen tank the one rolling the wheelchair was rolling alongside as well.

 

Ulan was confused. How could a girl as sickly as that be a demon? It felt wrong to say that she was a demon. If anything, it looked like she wouldn’t live for long. There’s no need to take her down.

 

Ulan looked up at Engel. “What? She’s on the brink of death.”

 

Engel looked back at Ulan, letting a smile form on his face. “No she isn’t.”

 

No she isn’t?

 

Then, Engel shook his head, “Actually, she might. That oxygen mask is giving her too much oxygen that she doesn’t need,” as Engel yawned, he looked behind the corner again, “she’s only faking her illness. Trust me, I know.”

 

Too much oxygen.

 

Doesn’t that mean that the oxygen mask isn’t even needed, and she can breathe normally?

 

Ulan furrowed his eyebrows.

 

Engel took a quick look at Ulan, and decided to take off his linen cloak and put it on Ulan instead.

 

He smiled, “We’re not ready to have your identity revealed yet, ah?” Engel only chuckled, fixing the buttons and putting the hood on.

 

Ulan simply blinked.

 

I don’t even think anyone knows what I look like anymore other than my mother.

 

Simply put, he’d been pretty much forgotten by the residents of Xevia, not including his mother and the guards sent to check up on him.

 

Though, it’s not bad to be cautious. As much as the common folk don’t remember me, I don’t necessarily know the faces of the guards that always visited me.

 

When the guards visited, that was the only time Ulan got to see light, but it always dissipated in seconds and the guards left quickly.

 

If only those visits could have been longer. If only Ulan could have had that feeling of normalcy from being around the light for longer, maybe…

 

Would I have been different if I never ended up being born royalty?

 

Engel clicked his tongue, and then led Ulan out from behind the corner. The girl rolling the wheelchair took sight, and waved her hand.

 

“Engel! It’s been a while!” She immediately took sight of Engel, and Engel only smiled.

 

“Nice meeting you again,” he responded, and fixed his hair from all the tangles and frizz. “How’s she doing?”

 

The girl rolling the wheelchair looked up at Engel, and at Ulan wearing Engel’s cloak. She didn’t say anything, only shaking her head and responding, “Bituin’s condition has been worsening. She doesn’t require eating assistance yet, but it’s definitely getting there.”

 

Ulan noticed how pitiful the girl in the wheelchair looked.

 

And… this is supposed to be fake? I can’t believe it.

 

Engel hummed and nodded in acknowledgement, “I see, I see. Can she still talk?”

 

The girl smiled, and nodded, “Yes, Bituin can still talk, but it’s extremely slurred and she says it hurts sometimes.”

 

Engel closed his eyes and hummed. Then, he remembered Ulan behind him. He simply chuckled, and took Ulan by the wrist, “Oh, Erlat. This is my friend.”

 

The girl rolling the wheelchair— named Erlat, let out a surprised sound before smiling, outstretching her hand to Ulan. “It’s nice to meet more of Engel’s friends! I’m Erlat, and this is one of my patients, Bituin. What’s your name?”

 

Fuck.

 

Engel shot a glance at Ulan, and Ulan’s head ringed.

 

“Mess this up and I’ll kill you.”

 

Ulan hissed slightly, Bastard, I’d take being killed over suffering for all eternity!

 

Erlat’s eyes widened, and she immediately spoke up, “Are you having a headache? We have some painkillers in the Ward I can get.”

 

Ulan shot his head up, and he immediately shook his head, “No, no. I’m fine.”

 

Erlat took a sigh of relief, “Well, if you ever need it, we have all kinds of medicine for you.”

 

“Mn, yeah.. My name’s… Bayani. By the way, Sorry for the…” Ulan sighed as he shook Erlat’s hand, and looked at Engel.

 

Bastard!

 

Engel simply smiled, “Schatz, aren’t you happy I bought you time to think of a name?”

 

No! Go kill yourself!

 

Engel simply sighed, and Erlat spoke up, “That’s a beautiful name. Oh, Bituin wanted to visit the garden. Ah, Bituin, can they come as well? I think they would love the tree.”

 

Bituin’s eyes seemed to brighten up, and she slowly turned her head up to face Erlat.

 

Ulan was internally cringing. When he looked at Engel, he saw the look of disgust on his face as well.

 

To know that this is all an act, fake… it feels wrong. Erlat seems so kind and understanding, but Bituin’s faking her illness and condition.

That’s horrible.

 

Erlat bent down to give Bituin her hand, and placed Bituin’s smaller hand in the palm of Erlat’s.

 

And in response, Bituin tapped Erlat’s palm two times.

 

Erlat simply nodded, “You two can come with us to the garden! I think Bituin wants to show Bayani the tree. Engel’s already seen it.”

Ulan hummed in response. He looked at the other item Erlat was rolling. “...If it’s no trouble, I can push Bituin, so you don’t have to multitask.”

 

Erlat was shocked at the proposal. Then, she quickly said yes.

 

Trying to haul an oxygen tank and push Bituin was a hassle, but nobody else wanted to get close or even near Bituin in the Medical Ward in the past couple years due to her worsening condition.

 

“...Thank you. I don’t think anyone has offered to help in years,” Erlat accepted Ulan’s help, by taking hold of the rolling oxygen tank as Ulan got behind Bituin’s wheelchair.

 

Engel looked at the scene, and Ulan looked over.

 

Why don’t those eyes stay a certain brightness?

 

Luminescent eyes were a symbol of chaos, but the brighter they were, the more mayhem brought with them. Yet, they were supposed to have a fixed light value. Engel’s…

 

Engel’s seemed to always fluctuate.

 

That really wasn’t normal.

 

Engel’s eyes always seemed to brighten and dim given the occasion.

 

What are you hiding, Engel.

 

Engel then turned his head to face Ulan’s, and that same voice echoed in Ulan’s head.

 

“What I am hiding is for me to know, and for you to find out.”

 

Ulan simply narrowed his eyes.

 

“Schatz.”

 

Ulan shook his head, and Engel sighed.

 

Engel looked down, and his eyes were only faintly glowing.

 

“When the day comes where I have to finally disclose the truth…”

 

Ulan felt his mind go blank with Engel’s voice.

 

“We’ll separate and I’ll never hurt you again.”

 

***

 

In the Xevia Region existed three demons out of seven. Although, it could only be counted as two. 

 

In Elyve, there were two. However, it could also only be counted as one.

 

In Cecilia lay two, and in Alcear lay the last.

 

One in Cecilia and one in Elyve is inactive, but Engel still wanted to end it all once and for all.

 

He’ll end the reign these demon’s had.

 

He’ll do it.

 

Yet, he can’t help but lose himself to his own reign.

 

***

 

Ulan carefully rolled Bituin outside before stepping outside himself. Erlat followed behind as she rolled the oxygen tank out.

 

“Are you sure it’s safe to bring her out?” Engel asked, his tone slightly concerned.

 

Faker.

 

Ulan hummed in agreement, “I’d also like to know.”

 

He still found it weird knowing that Bituin was the ‘demon’ Engel was talking about. At first glance, Bituin just looked… sick. She really did look like she couldn’t do anything.

 

What danger did she have? That was something Ulan was wondering. Even if Bituin was a demon, she wasn’t hurting anyone.

 

Though, I suppose she is hurting herself.

 

That oxygen tank is supplying oxygen Bituin didn’t even need. Someone else might need it, and she herself would get oxygen poisoning.

 

Erlat nodded her head with a smile, guiding Ulan where to push the wheelchair. “It’s fine, as long as she’s on her oxygen tank. Though, I’m afraid we won’t be able to help her in the later stages.

 

“Bituin’s muscles don’t work, and she’s lost all ability to move her legs. She’s pretty much paralyzed, and she doesn’t like speaking due to the way it slurs and she also hates how it feels. Her breathing doesn’t seem bad, but it’s just safer to put her on an oxygen tank. We’ve never seen an illness like this, so there’s no guarantee Bituin will actually survive.”

 

Ulan looked over at Engel, who was helping Erlat get the oxygen tank outside.

 

He couldn’t help it, but Ulan felt bad for Erlat.

 

That girl seemed to be the only one who paid any attention to Bituin. Erlat seemed to be the only one who actually took care of Bituin.

 

But… how would she feel finding out this was all a lie?

 

Ulan just hoped that when the time came, Bituin would stop with her lie.

 

His thoughts were interrupted by a voice.

 

“It’s getting that bad, huh?” Engel asked, raising an eyebrow. “It’s been a few years, right?”

 

Erlat nodded. “She got this illness when she was about 10.”

 

“Oh, so 5 years now?”

 

“Yes. Honestly, I’ve known Bituin for longer, and I picked up being an apprentice for her.”

 

Ulan could see Bituin’s eyes start to drift away. Her head also seemed to be turning away, and he couldn’t help but think.

 

Erlat studied medicine for Bituin. But…

 

Bituin’s condition was just a lie.

 

Engel’s eyes narrowed slightly, “Well, hopefully you’ll find a way to help her. I’ve known her since I was a child too, you know.”

 

Erlat chuckled slightly, “Yeah, I know how much you care about her.”

 

Suddenly, Ulan heard Engel’s voice once more.

 

His mouth didn’t move, and Ulan hated it. “Schatz.”

 

Can you just give a warning for once? Making my brain hurt.

 

“Sorry, but there wasn’t any time to warn you. I just want you to know to not take Bituin lightly. She’s frail, yes, but it’s all an act, alright?”

 

I knew that already, bastard.

 

“Schatz…”

 

Engel was interrupted by Erlat speaking.

 

“That reminds me, Engel,” Erlat said, stopping in her tracks as she locked the wheels on the oxygen tank, “Since you’ve known Bituin for much longer than I have, does she know your real name?”

 

For some reason, Ulan noticed Bituin turn her head. He simply paid no mind for now, and stopped rolling Bituin, placing her next to the oxygen tank under the tree Erlat was standing under.

 

Engel laughed, “Of course she does. I was a teenager back then, and I wasn’t a part of the Battalion yet."

 

Erlat sighed, “Why can’t you just tell me? I’ve been taking good care of your good friend here.”

 

“That is because it’s top secret.”

 

Engel wasn’t even his real name.

 

What the hell?

 

What the fuck?

 

Ulan adjusted the hood of the cloak, and only stared at Engel.

 

You don’t even go by your real name. Yet, you chose that name? How stuck up are you? Fucking bastard.

 

Angels are divine creatures.

 

Engel was not.

 

There’s no reason to be named a divine creature when you’re a literal fucking bastard.

 

Ulan didn’t know why Engel would use a fake name. Unless there was something he was actively hiding from.

 

Erlat let out a sigh, and stretched her arms out. “Oh well… We’ll just keep calling you Engel for now,” she smiled as he found her place right next to Bituin. Erlat went to lock the wheels on the wheelchair, and sat down on the grass. “This is the tree I met Bituin under.”

 

Ulan looked up at the tree. It had bright red beautiful flowers, and his eyes softened when he realized what kind of tree it was.

 

A Malabulak tree with its blossoms in bloom due to it being the middle of the first month. The flowers were just now starting to bloom, and he looked back at Erlat and Bituin, noticing Engel taking a seat on the other side of Bituin’s wheelchair.

 

Engel sighed, “It’s always the prettiest when the flowers are in bloom,” he said as he laid down on his back, staring up at the flowers blooming from the branches.

 

Erlat nodded in agreement. “Yeah, I take Bituin outside under the tree every month when the flowers are out.”

 

Ulan simply took a seat next to Erlat, in which the girl took notice.

 

“Bayani,” Erlat suddenly spoke up, turning her head over to Ulan.

 

It doesn’t feel right lying to Erlat about anything. Even if it’s just a name.

 

Ulan simply turned his head to the side, “Yeah?”

 

“If you knew you were to die soon, how would you live your life?”

 

***

 

Death was something Ulan didn’t think about the first 15 years of his life. He was a part of the royal family, and a member of the Royal Court. Because his mother carried the royal blood, Ulan inherited the family's immortality.

 

He could simply live his life without any regrets or any worries.

 

The days he’s lived in the world only added up to 18 years, and he still had eternity to look towards.

 

Though, if he were not an immortal who could choose when he decided he'd lived long enough…

 

How would he spend days knowing his death bed was approaching each day?

 

That was something not even Ulan knew because that was something he would never experience.

 

And for the past three years, Ulan had been the one to chase death.

 

***

 

Ulan didn’t know how to respond to that question.

 

He really wasn’t sure how to respond, because he’d never thought about what he’d do if he knew he would die soon. Mainly because he had never feared death, he really couldn’t die from natural causes.

 

Before he could say anything, Erlat spoke. “It’s a hard question, right?”

 

Ulan looked away, and nodded. “Ah, uh, yeah.”

 

It was something Ulan never could imagine thinking about. Fearing death, and living your life according to how much time you have left. “Bituin… doesn’t really have a choice with how she lives the rest of her life.”

 

Ulan paused when he heard Erlat. He bit his bottom lip, and he could only look down.

 

Demon… How would one figure out how to defeat a demon like Bituin? It should be easy, but…

 

Maybe Engel’s objective isn’t to necessarily kill them, but make them realize something.

 

Erlat sighed, her hand reaching up towards one of Bituin’s hands. “But, I chose to stay by her side until her last days. I’ll make sure that her wish is fulfilled too.”

 

Ulan noticed Engel’s eyes narrow.

 

“Under this tree?” He asked.

 

Erlat nodded, “Under this tree.”

 

Ulan could only guess what Under this tree meant.

 

‘I want to be buried under that tree,’ I want to be with my father when my life has become worthless to live.

 

I… I want to see father again…

 

Mom, why don’t you wish to see father again?

 

“...T…Tree…” Bituin’s voice was more of a whisper, and her words slurred. Erlat immediately stood up.

 

“Bituin! Don’t talk if it’s not comfortable!” She warned, looking Bituin in the eyes.

 

Don’t talk if it’s not comfortable.

 

“E–Erlat… Tell…” her voice trailed off, and Erlat’s eyes were full of worry.

 

“Don’t talk. Please don’t over exert yourself. Here, tap my palm two times for yes, once for no. Are you telling me to tell them about the tree?” Erlat asked, taking Bituin’s hand and placing it on her palm.

 

Bituin listened to her, and slowly tapped Erlat’s palm once.

 

Then twice.

 

Erlat nodded. “Sorry for scolding you, but I don't want you hurting yourself.” She spoke quietly in an understanding voice, and smiled at Bituin. “You want to tell Bayani about the tree? I know Engel already knows, but I’m happy to tell them.”

 

Bituin tapped Erlat’s palm two more times.

 

“Alright.”

 

Engel chuckled softly, turning his head towards Ulan, “Sit down and listen for a while, schatz.”

 

…Call me schatz in public one more time and I will gouge your eyes out.

 

Erlat then spoke, “As you know, malabulaks trees are Xevia’s famous trees known for their medicinal benefits. This one in particular, is a tree Bituin’s family planted decades before having her.

 

“As her family were medical experts, they wanted to have this tree in the garden. They were great physicians, and we even have pictures of them in the Lunas Ward. And near the beginning of when Bituin’s symptoms were showing, she told the other medical workers she’d like to be buried under her family’s tree after her death.

 

“Although, once her condition started to worsen, the medical team was considering chopping the tree down. Bituin could barely speak in between her tears and slurred speech, but she was begging them to leave it alone. When Bituin eventually dies, she wants to be closer to her late family by being buried under their tree. I’m the one constantly monitoring the tree, making sure the others… respect a dying person’s wishes to be closer to their family even after death.”

 

Ulan turned his head down. Even if Bituin’s illness was a wholehearted lie, not respecting someone’s wishes…

 

It left a bad taste in his mouth.

 

“...Horrible,” Ulan muttered out, and Erlat nodded.

 

“Yes… I want to make sure Bituin’s wish is fulfilled, I don’t think I can live with myself seeing something she cherishes so much be cut down.”

 

Ulan only looked up towards the blooming flowers on the tree. Beautiful, red flowers.

 

If Xevia is to be his deathbed, let him be buried under something that meant the world to him.

 

Yet, when Ulan turned his head, the last thing he was expecting to see was a tree stump.

 

Erlat looked over as well, and sighed. “The queen wanted it cut down.”

 

Ulan immediately sat up, and walked over to the tree.

 

This…

 

Ulan’s eyes were wide open, and he felt himself shaking.

 

Mom… What did you do to the tree?

 

Did you hate father that much? 

 

I miss him..

 

Erlat walked over to Ulan who kneeling in front of the tree stump, and sat down next to him.

 

Her eyes were full of sorrow, but also suspicion.

 

Ulan let out a shaky breath, “When did she…”

 

“Bayani.”

 

Ulan turned his head towards Erlat.

 

“...Your name’s not Bayani, is it?”

 

Erlat paused for a moment.

 

“The more I think about it, you look a lot like the queen.

 

“The tree was cut down three years ago. You… were imprisoned three years ago, right?”

0