Chapter 21 Ambush.
32 2 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

{Maxwell Critical}

Winter was a struggle without central heat and air, but he was given a maid who helped him nightly. She made sure he was clean and drained every night. It was just a little upsetting that she had to stay at the castle while he went on this mission to take care of those evil animals. He was going to kill their lead fighter, take apart their kingdom and then have his princess. Maybe she would reward him after this mission. He had taken a caravan out in the middle of winter and was now in a camp freezing his ass off and killing any monster he could wind with his party. Now the snow had stopped, and he would soon get to fight for real. His body had reached its peak and much to his delight, he was able to keep his hair. He smiled and thought about his time here. Mostly it was good. He got praise from his princess for finding a book on one of the animals in the market. It had to be some code of secret attack plans. The animal was taken away and he didn’t care what happened to the little bunny man. If only they didn’t have that love potion, some of their women looked cute. He shook his head, careful not to see them as people. His princess told him that doing so would only lead to them getting their hooks into him.

His lead man came up to him rubbing his hands together. It was a little cold this morning, but the trees were turning green. “Hero Maxwell. Our scouts have returned and saw their caravan will be setting out soon and it will be heading right for us. We have about two weeks until we can strike.” He looked over the thin man who looked like a stereotypical ranger like the dark-haired guy from lord of the rings. He never bothered to learn the man’s name.

“Good, I need a map so we can plan an attack along the path they are going to take.” He said with a smile full of pride and hope.

 

{Gen Savage}

Spring had come and it was finally time to move out. Big brother had fixed the Knights inscribing runes around them to make sure someone could never teleport in or out of the Knights. The RV had been upgraded with most of the top floor being turned into a large bedroom. The lower floors were dedicated to a bathroom and large kitchen. It only had two spare rooms, but that was more than okay. I was mildly excited, but more than a little worried about being in Abyss again. Something about that Knight scared me on a deep level, but I couldn’t push the issue with big brother. A group gathered this time and Mama Clover gave me a hug nearly making me cry. She had her child over winter and now held a small blonde half bunny boy. Quick couldn’t take his eyes off the two. The man had really settled down and handed us a copy of his latest book. I was eager to read it and wondered if coyotes would be in it.

Once we had said all of our goodbyes, we loaded into the RV and set out. It felt like I was finally following my purpose. About an hour into the trip, I was now in the open and mostly spacious top floor looking out the back window as my heart hammered as I pawed at the book. Snow was lying in bed after a fun night with Willow and me. Her and I were now sixteen winters (21 earth years), and she had found ale a pleasant pastime. We had been given a limited supply and rules about when it is okay. Willow lay by her side, and both wanted a nap. Ket was piloting and Jessica was sitting by my side looking out. She had been trained fully in contract magic. Some of her other skills were still unknown, but she was somehow able to contract with Eddie. It let the horse understand her more. Jessica lay her head on my shoulder and looked at the book.

“What do you have there?” She asked, looking at the book.  She looked over my shoulder trying to read the cover.

“It’s a collection of lullabies from the different races around our world.” I said focusing on it.

“So why are you worried about it?” I took a deep breath before answering.

“I’m not sure I want to read it. I can’t remember my parents and reading it might bring back memories that I’m not sure I can handle.” She put one of her arms on my shoulder and looked up at me.

“You aren’t alone though.” She said with a smile. “What are you afraid of, really?”

“Being seen as weak in your eyes.” I answered without thinking. I blushed and looked away. I had spoken from my heart and couldn't hide from any of them.

“Gen, you are safe with us. No one will think less of you if you cry. Do you think less of me when I cry in front of you?” She asked. I knew she was talking about the time she broke down before she had changed.

“No, but you are a woman.” I tried to protest, and she laughed softly.

“Gen, read the book. Even if you are a guy, I won’t think less of you if you cry.” She said with a smile. I took a breath and opened it, seeing a list on the inside. My eyes combed down the list and found an animal near the middle.

“Coyote page twenty-five.” I said feeling something well up inside that I couldn’t fully put my finger on. Taking a shuddering breath I flipped through the pages. There it was the Lullaby of the Coyote Beast-Folk.

“Can you read it to me? I can’t read your language.” Jesseica asked. I felt a lamp build in my throat.

“Your ears are sharp. Your mind is keen.” My mind went blank as the page blurred with tears. I was so small back then. So tiny, back in the store. My mother, her face lost to time, leaned over me and sang. I couldn’t remember the words, but her scent was there. Something like oak wood mixed with chili powder. I struggled to remember her face but held onto her smell. Big sis Uta came in and looked down at me with a smile. She was happy I was in my mother’s arms and felt safe and loved. It mixed with the feeling that I got from Mama Clover, and I felt my heart both break and heal at the same time. My mother started humming and the song I had started to read came through the years. Outside the memory, someone was holding me as I wept. I felt hands pull the book free and pull my head down to rest on Jessica's lap. She started petting my head and ears as she tried to hum the notes of the song. It felt so nice, and I soon cried myself to sleep.

 

I woke in the middle of the night surrounded by all of my women on the bed. Someone had helped me undress and all were gathered around me making me feel loved and wanted. Is this how big brother felt in the nest the time he got depressed? If so, this was a pleasant way to wake up. Willow and Snow were on each of my arms. Ket was wrapped around Willow and Jessica wrapped around Snow. I knew that Betty was on guard and the huge wolf would keep us safe through the night. How had I become so lucky to be blessed with a family like this? I shouldn’t be as it was my fault that me and my sister spent a year as slaves where we both nearly died from starvation and mistreatment. With a deep happy sigh, I took in the scent of all my lovers and drifted off to a peaceful and happy sleep.

 

Two weeks later we were on the road. We had settled back into our traveling rhythm. Snow, Jessica and I would talk, read or fool around, while Willow would sleep in the morning. She would spend the afternoons with us and hunt at night. Ket would pull all day and be pampered by us at night. One or more of us would join her in the cockpit to make sure she wasn't lonely. All and all it was shaping up to be a quiet normal trip.

I was sitting in the front viewing area with Snow tucked under my arm when everything went sideways. Something had hit the RV hard, and Ket screamed over the walkie talkie.

“Attack.” She grunted as everything shifted again. Snow jumped up and ran like lightning through the RV to the bay. Big brother had built her a new Knight and she was more than ready to break it in. I was on her heels, but dread filled my heart.

“Willow, keep Ket safe.” I called over my shoulder and she nodded heading for the roof. Jessica followed me and I was so used to it that I didn’t think anything of it. When we got there Snow was already loaded up and out of the RV. I hesitated as I looked at Abyss. It was like it was calling to me and from what I could see Snow was already struggling with our attackers. If I fought in Abyss, I could lose myself and might hurt the ones I love the most. Getting in, I felt the rage and bloodlust build up. Looking through the open cockpit, I saw Jessica take a step back, fear on her face.

“Your eyes.” She said and I looked at one of the reflective screens. My eyes were slitted and glowing with a yellow light. It had already started, and I hadn't even powered Abyss on. I had to do something as Snow was out there fighting alone. Flipping switches, I felt the Knight began to draw at my mind. It wanted blood, death and to rule overall. Snow’s scream came over our connection and I knew she was in trouble. Jessica took a breath and jumped in the cockpit sitting on my lap. There was barely enough room, and it would be tight, but it shouldn't hinder my movements too much.

“What are you doing?” I growled feeling anger roar up inside of me.

“Making sure you keep your mind. Gen, Contract magic,” She took a breath and I wanted to rip apart our attackers, rip apart this place, wanted to rip apart the world and bathe in its blood. “You will stay with us and stay Gen I know and love. In exchange I will sleep with you tonight.” She said not looking back, but I could feel the blush and smell love rolling off her in waves. It shook me to my core and seemed to break the hold that Abyss had over my mind.

“I agree.” I said feeling everything return to normal. My heart hammered as I powered everything on. “Jessica, you see that little red button under the glass case. Lift it and push.”

“What does it do?” She asked slightly worried.

“Big brother said if I was ever in a boss fight, I should push that button. He said it would be badass.” I didn’t know what would happen but trusted him fully. She pressed it and a small compartment on the back slid open as I stepped out of my bay. Something seemed to thump through my Knight filling my body and soul as a low rumble started moving through my chest. It thumped and I moved with it. I smiled as Jessica buckled in as she bounced. A smile clear on her face as she looked back.

“I love this song.” She said as we stepped out. The battle had stopped as I took my place. Seven newer model Knights had Snow Pinned and I moved quickly as Bon Jovi. It's my life filled my soul and being. In one movement, I pushed three back with my tail as my two shield blades easily blocked two. My jaws locked around one taking its arm off at the shoulder. A strange Knight stood off in the distance and watched. It was like the music had stunned everyone and I took full advantage of it. The seventh tried to stab me with a spear, but I moved the Knight in my mouth back, letting its spear stab through his friend. Someone had just died, but I didn’t have time to think about it. I used the music to set the tempo of my movements and kicked out pinning one as I tossed the dead Knight aside. My tail slapped as I let my blade arms slash through the middle of the two on either side. I was a whirlwind as I took them apart. Soon I stood over a badly damaged Snow. She was still alive and ran to the RV and to safety as she flipped off the last one. He stood there stunned before shaking his head. I squared up to him, taking time to observe him closely. He reminded me of the twins, but they fused the two Knights together and made several upgrades.

“Animal, how dare you use that as your theme song. I am the hero. I get a theme song no you.” He screamed over the speaker. It was followed by very poor singing and humming. “Headstrong to take on anyone.” He sang as he lifted a sword nearly as large as a normal Knight. I tried to block but was more than a little shocked as it batted me aside and took off half of one of my shields. Crap this thing was strong. I powered up my cannon hoping to end it, but he moved quickly to the side at the last moment. “Fuck you, you godzilla want a be.” His voice shifted to start to sing. “This is not where you belong.” Jessica moved her hands over mine as though helping me even though she didn’t know what to do. I kissed the back of her neck and moved closer slowly. He swung again and I tried to jump over it. Shifting his sword up, it was clear he was going to take off my legs. At the last moment, I triggered the thrusters hidden in the legs and pushed forward in the air. It toppled him and made me roll across the battlefield. “Clever animal.” He cried out as we both got up. The song had ended, and it was just the two of us. If that sword hits anything vital, not only I would die but so would Jessica and the others would join her soon after.

The other Knight readied his sword and moved slowly to me. It was clear he wanted to finish it quickly, and I felt the same, but had a different idea as to who would be walking away. He moved quicker than before and stabbed at us. I ducked under the blow and used my damaged shield to redirect his blade hoping to blast into his face. My mouth was open, changed up and suddenly I was looking up into the sky. He had used his knee to force my head up, so my shot flew off into the sky. “Not going to work you dumb ugly fuck.” he crowed as he spun around building up momentum hoping to chop us in half. I used my thrusters again and forced a kick for his face again. This time he rolled back just in time, and I felt the blade take off my shield arm. I was down to one on my left side and was actually outmatched. I had it easy this whole time and this guy had some skill even though he wouldn’t shut up. I felt Abyss trying to force its way through, but unable to get around the contract I was under. I was safe by the women who protected me as much as I protected them.

“FUCK YOU!” Jessica cried out and I felt my heart join her.

“FUCK YOU!” I screamed with her as I let my jets and cannon build up. I would only get one shot at this and wouldn’t fail. He raised his sword over his head, ready for a downward slash. It was clear that his mana was running down too. If this went on for too long, we both would be out of energy. Risking a glance, I saw I was nearly empty. Blasting off, I slid to the side, and he turned, firing everything I had left. There was a strange click and he bounced over my blast. Built into his legs were the strange arms that the weird Knight had used to fight Snow back at the abandoned town. He brought the sword down and I knew this was it. I had lost. I lost everything. I would die here with Jessica. I reached out and hugged her tightly as she raised her arms to block the attack, she knew she couldn’t. After all I had done, all I had worked for I was going to lose and die here. Why did I waste so much time playing when a little more skill would have saved us? At the last moment, he was pushed aside by Ket’s Knight. Inside Snow Screamed as she plowed over him. I turned to watch him fly back before raising his sword to block the cascade of shots she unleashed from the back cannons.

“FUCK YOU, YOU DICKLESS LOSER!” She cried out. He stood after the attack and I moved, but felt my energy fail as the screen went dark. I pulled the emergency release and slid free of the cockpit, Jessica in my arms. Snow stood off with the enemy and I wasn’t sure how she could win. He raised his sword over his head as he crouched again. It was clear he was about to use the same move on her, and fear shook my frame as I knew she was about to die. That was when everything stopped. The lights in the eyes of the Knight went out and it fell back. It was out of mana. Jessica and I cheered at our bunny lover as she snorted in Ket’s Knight letting jets of steam fill the air. He got out and I saw a mostly normal looking human. He took one look over at us and then ran off into the woods as Snow tried to run after him, but quickly lost him in the woods. I called her back and we took stock of what was left. Her new Warden was mostly useless, but we loaded up anyway. 

I bit my tongue and made the call to big brother. “We were attacked about two weeks out of town.” I said once he picked up.

“Are you safe?” He asked and I could hear the worry in his voice.

“Yeah. Snow’s Knight is wrecked, mine needs work, and Ket’s is a little banged up. They hit us hard, and we barely made it out okay.” I said knowing that I had lost the battle. Snow had to save me. I wasn’t strong enough.

“Good. Are you able to limp back?” He asked and I could almost feel the disappointment in his voice. Snow docked with the RV so we could start moving back.

“We have a full Knight that we can bring back with us.” I said hoping to save my reputation with him.

“Have Ket look it over first. Make sure they don’t boobytrap them.” He said almost dismissively. “Gen, be on guard. Stay safe.” He said, clicking off. My heart sank as I turned to the waiting women. Ket hugged me and was joined by Willow. Snow held back and hugged herself.

“Thanks for saving my butt.” I said with a weak smile. She nodded but didn’t say anything. “Hey, maybe you can pilot that new one once Ket has a look at it.” I said and she brightened up.

“I would just like to keep my Knight intact once. Just once.” She said as she looked down. I broke free and pulled her into a hug. She started crying as I held her. This was a hard battle on all of us.

“What matters is we are alive.” I whispered into her ear. “And that is thanks to you.” I kissed her forehead as the others joined us.

Once our Knights had mana, and Ket had looked over the new one. Snow was more than a little upset about sitting in it as it smelled horrible. It was like the pilot didn’t believe in washing or cleaning up after himself. Who was he? Where did he come from? Who else were after them? My mind was a little heavy as I loaded up in the Knight.

I moved to the living area filling more than a little drained, disappointed and tired. Snow and Willow were sitting on the couch and Snow looked over at me with a question on her face. “You shouldn’t be here.” She said with a smile. Was she telling me I didn't belong with them? My heart sank as I yawned.

“What are you talking about?” I asked, fearing her reply.

“You have a contract to complete. Your mic was open the whole time.” She said pointing down to the lower level. I jumped a little up and blinked as it dawned on me. A blush creeped up my face as I looked at the women. “Yep, and Ket gives her blessing. Now go let her join us. We talked it out and her first time with you should be special.” She said shooing me away. I gulped and walked down the stairs to one of the single rooms. The scent of love was rolling off one in the back. I slid the door open and saw Jessica laying on the bed on her stomach. Her slender frame was stretched out and four arms lay under her. The two in front propped up her chin. Long red hair lay over her back and framed her smiling face. I gulped again and entered feeling all the blood rush south. She gave me a sweet smile as she fluttered her eyes at me.

“How about you come over here and let me get my turn with my hero.” She said sweetly.

End of book 1

{ZeroGiven40}

I do have an epilogue and bonus story before I move into book 2. What are your thoughts so far? Is Gen different from my other MCs? What do you think Max will do next? Do you think Gen will get over himself?

2