Chapter 3 – Prologue PT3
15 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Prologue PT3

For the past four days, it has been constant, never-ending, grueling warfare. At first, our forces were going strong. But they have this weird, senseless tenacity to them. Not only that, but they outnumber us. And it seems more troops keep pouring in…

The silhouette of 6 soldiers stood in a battle tent—myself included. Around were several dozen other tents and Norgian warriors patrolling the area.

This was our impromptu battle station. Both the enemy and us are still human. So, during the night, the battle pretty much stops as both sides retreat to lick their wounds and rest.

The labored groans of wounded and tired soldiers moaned through the night.

“We won’t be able to do this much longer…”

Torleif said, stroking the stubble on his chin, causing a scratching noise. Even the most incredible Norgian Warriors would have a tough time fighting for four days with as little as 3 hours of sleep. And this fact was showing.

I was on my last legs, too. My skin was covered in cuts and bruises. My eye bags were prominent, and my eyes were muddy. And frankly, we stank.

We had to fight constantly, meaning we often had to resort to doing our… Business in our pants. Of course, typically, we’d wash ourselves and our clothes any chance we got. But water around here was scarce. Morale was at an all-time low.

Damn it! Why would a Duke heir want our territory so bad!?”

Our head scout, Olof, sets his hand on his face, partially veiling his frustrated expression.

Our scout team has been doing much work during our four days of battle. We’ve ascertained that the linchpin of this attack was Yoon Suen—an heir to the Hasian Duchy.

“‘Why’ no longer matters. Torleif, we need to deal a decisive blow! I doubt we’ll last another two days if we don’t!”

Vilhelm, one of our best warriors, seconded only by Torleif, urged Torleif to take action. Usually, he’d be the first person to suggest prolonging the battle, not ending it.

Shit, we really are at wit’s end here, aren’t we?”

“...Er–”

“... I could use my blessing…?”

I absentmindedly muttered a passing thought, and instantly, all eyes were on me. I have no choice but to double down, now do I?

“I could sneak into the enemy camp and activate my Blessing. Then, we can use that chaos to send a full frontal assault.”

“... That… That could work… However… Your odds of surviving aren’t high.”

Torleif said, still on edge. Or rather, he was at odds with himself.

No capable commander would be eager to send their troops to imminent death.

“Torleif, sir, I was already prepared to die the day I had my sigil inscribed.”

I bluffed.

Umu, spoken like a true Norgian Warrior.”

Vilhelm slapped my back with his sturdy and callus-ridden hand.

Instantly, I felt a tinge of regret at the back of my throat.

***

(Torleif POV)

I sighed deeply and watched Erling’s retreating figure fade into shadow as he exited the tent. We’ve decided to enact his plan immediately. If we do it later, I’m afraid our forces won’t have the energy to charge into the enemy.

Suddenly, I heard Olof’s shaky voice directed at me.

“Torleif… I’m against this… Erling is one of our best fighters… I don–”

Questioning your commander is deeply frowned upon. You’d either get beaten or worse.

“Olof, Erling has already resolved himself. I know you two have a history as children. But this is war; we can’t let the past cloud our judgment.”

I took a breath to calm myself—it was more shaky and unsure than I’d like to admit. However, ever since becoming commander, I have been responsible for making these hard decisions.

‘I’m glad I wasn’t the one who had to suggest the idea first…’

I muttered in a voice only audible to me.

“Believe me, I don’t want to send Erling to his death either. But it’s him or all of us. As a commander, it’s my responsibility to ensure the survival of as many warriors as possible.”

I pat Olof’s shoulder, say my condolences, and exit the tent.

Leaving Olof staring at the ground.

***

Blessings are a phenomenon not well documented… What people do know is that it has the potential to grant the wielder unbridled power. And for some, that’s all they need to know. 

Only one in one hundred people have Blessings. And some won’t even realize. Unlike in fiction, you won’t get a message from the gods stating what your Blessing is and what it does. It’s a “fuck around and find out” type of thing.

It can range from the mundane, like instantly boiling water, to the ability to summon torrential winds and strike those who oppose them with lightning. It can be passive, too, like in Torleif’s case. His Blessing is aptly named “Herculean Strength.”

***

(Erling POV)

I slinked from shadow to shadow. Following Olof’s lead.

Thanks to the rocky terrain, there are plenty of rocks, and dips are used as hiding spots. Though it goes both ways, if we assume they have a spy, they’ll receive word about our plans any second.

“Are you sure you’re down to do this?”

“Positive”

Okay, time to—

“Wait…!”

Olof grabbed my arm, dragging me back behind the rock.

“What are you doing?! I was–”

I kept my voice hushed while berating Olof.

“Listen…!”

Olof covered my mouth with his hands.

“...”

He pauses and begins looking around. For what? I have no idea. But I know my rage meter was building, and if he didn’t let go—

“You should run away…!”

My grip tightened.

For a Norgian Warrior, the mere thought of running away—tail between your legs, was an utter disgrace. I may not be interested in dying in a ditch. But my pride isn’t so flimsy. Maybe in the next life, I can explore the world. Learn about life outside the battlefield. But I can’t. I am Erling Hansen, a Norgian warrior.

I swallow my saliva along with my anger.

“Are you crazy?”

“I mean, you could run away after causing your mayhem! And I could report to Torleif that you had been killed!”

“Your story won’t hold up when they don’t find my dead body.”

“We co–”

“Enough…!”

I raised my voice. Perhaps more than I should have.

“Shei ren?!”

I heard footsteps steadily approaching our hiding spot.

I screwed the pooch.

“Listen, I don’t know or care why you’ve decided to act like this. But I’ll pretend I never heard you say that. What you said was pretty much high treason.”

The footsteps had come to a halt in front of our rock. It was now or never.

“I won’t die.”

With those last words, I leaped out. I bit my tongue as hard as I could. And the next thing I saw was red.

***

(Inside an airship surrounded by clouds)

In a dark room, sitting on a sofa, a girl with blonde hair and tanned skin sat idly reading. She wore a red robe, her hair still glistening with water droplets, and thin black gloves covering her arms. In front of her was a small circular coffee table. A cup of warm tea filled the room with its rosy fragrance. The room was very comfy, like a wealthy grandparents’ living room.

The door to the room opened with a ~creak~ as a woman walked into the room.

She had long dark blue hair that almost reached her shoulders. On top of her head were two red horns with a beautiful sheen, almost like rubies. A black, tattered scarf covered everything below her nose. Her scarf was almost too black. Making it appear like a dark void instead of a material dyed black.

She wore a tight black and gray body suit that tightly stuck to her skin, leaving very little to the imagination. It was made of a rubber-like material—it looked sleek but didn’t have the characteristic shininess you’d get from full-rubber body suits. Hooked on her back was a bow that was nearly her entire height. However, the bow was more like a giant blade. It was razor sharp everywhere except the handle.

Attached to her waist and thighs were pouches. Most notably, she didn’t carry a quiver.

An item essential to archers.

“Madam–”

“Stop–! Ran, don’t. Just call me Yoon.”

Yoon cut Ran off at incredible speed like she knew what she would say before she said it.

“Yes, Madam Suen!”

“—What did I just say?!”

Ran refused to follow Yoon’s orders. And received a snappy retort back.

“Haaa… Whatever! So? What’s the news? I mean, I assume that’s why you’re here.”

“A red demon is rampaging inside our lines as we speak. Our scouts have also spotted the enemy organizing for a full frontal assault.”

“A red demon, huh…?”

Yoon goes quiet. Then, for a second, a smile flashes across Yoon’s face.

[Chapter 3 END]

1