32. APOLLO – Beyond the Horizon
0 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

CHAPTER THIRTY-TWO - APOLLO

Beyond the Horizon

It’d been approximately an hour since leaving the Toronno Coach Terminal, traveling east on the 401 to Windham. And even though Windham was four and a half hours away from Sauga, it didn’t feel far enough. With the amount of toxicity that surrounded him, traveling to a city at least twelve hours away would've been preferred. Apollo sighed. When you’re on a tight budget, you must go with what you can afford.

It was one of the many life lessons Mama taught him during her time on this planet: never live beyond your means. Paying his last respects to her at Raven Oaks Cemetery and knowing he’d never revisit her was indescribably difficult. Looking at the picture embedded into her gravestone and seeing the infectious smile she always carried caused angry tears to fall from his eyes. It wasn’t fair she had to leave so soon.

Apollo promised he’d never let the ones he loved pass away without his consent, nor would he allow injustice to be bestowed upon those who couldn’t defend themselves. Mama always preached about equality: regardless of the color of your skin, religious or political background, or sexual orientation, everyone had the right to live freely without being ridiculed or prosecuted for how they appeared, who they were, and what they believed in. Sadly her ideologies had fallen upon deaf ears because at the moment, society believed in the opposite.

Apollo shifted around in his seat and closed his eyes, fatigue beginning to settle on him. Hopefully, his mind would’ve allowed his body to achieve some good quality sleep because goodness knows how long he’s desperately craved it.

#

Apollo opened his eyes to the orange-pink skies of dawn. The coach had just pulled into the Windham terminal to release its passengers. Movement developed inside as people yawned, stretched their limbs, and gathered their belongings, forming a single-file line along the aisle toward the exit. Apollo grabbed the garbage bag resting at his feet and looked through it to ensure he had everything before leaving.

“Thanks for getting us here safely,” Apollo said to the driver before stepping off. She smiled and nodded her head in appreciation.

Apollo walked through the automatic slide doors and was greeted by a sea of people, chattering and skipping about in every direction with their luggage in hand. Being so early in the morning, you’d think the place would be empty. It was intimidating being in a foreign city, surrounded by so many unfamiliar faces, inside a terminal you couldn’t see the other side of. It wanted to remind him of the mall in Toronno with how unnaturally long and wide everything was.

Anyway, enough sightseeing, it’s time to make a move. Apollo tied a knot on the garbage bag he had and threw it over his shoulders as he crossed the waiting area. One passenger was sprinting toward one of the exits, his daughter not far behind him, lugging a suitcase almost twice her size.

“So where do I go from here?” Apollo muttered to himself, gazing in their direction. He had trouble deciding on whether or not he should’ve followed them. Aside from the different street names painted along the walls above various exits, there was a sign on the ceiling directing travelers toward a customer service desk up ahead. Guess it doesn’t hurt to start there.

A young-looking woman worked behind the counter on her computer, fingers flying across her keyboard as she typed. She had brunette hair neatly tied into a bun, and the way she smiled with her eyes as she stood up to greet him pricked a memory out of him. Even the picture on her name tag, which read Alesandra, carried the same smile: eyes wide with crinkles forming around the corners.

“Good morning,” Alesandra said, teeth on full display. “How may I help you?”

Apollo studied her face, the dimples on her cheeks showing their presence. She seemed so happy and filled with life that there wasn’t a soul in the world that could’ve affected her mood. I’d kill someone to experience that feeling again.

“Is there something I can help you with this morning?” she asked again, breaking his thoughts.

“Ugh yes,” Apollo wiggled his head and cleared his throat. “My apologies.”

“It’s okay,” she said with a hint of a giggle. “It’s still quite early, and you’re probably tired from your travels.”

Apollo nodded. Something like that. “Where’s the nearest hotel around here?”

Alesandra turned to her computer and began typing on her keyboard. “Was there a particular one you were looking for?” she asked, locking eyes with him.
Yeah, the cheapest one. “The one that’s most cost-effective,” Apollo said, hoping he’d put enough emphasis on the words ‘cost’ and ‘effective.’

Alesandra turned her monitor toward Apollo, and a list of hotels, along with their prices, appeared on her web browser map. “So as you can see here,” she pointed using her mouse cursor, “these are the nearest hotels that are located in the area. Keep in mind because you did say ‘cost-effective,’ you’ll only be exposed to two and two and a half star hotels.” Alesandra continued to scroll down the web browser map, which featured more hotel selections. “Depending on your budget and how long you’re staying, you could always try for a three-star hotel.” She turned back the monitor so it was facing her again and began to type. “Let me see if I can find you any three-star hotels that won’t necessarily burn a hole through your wallet.”

Apollo tried not to stare too hard, but what she was doing was greatly appreciated. The world could use a lot more people like her. Perhaps not all humans were savaged, crazed animals who loved preying on the weak. “Tell me something,” Apollo said.

“Sure.” Alesandra paused from her search, giving Apollo her full undivided attention.

“What’s the crime rate like over here?”

Her eyes looked toward the ceiling, her face shifting into a thoughtful expression. “Hmm, I think it all depends on where you go,” she said. “Some parts are more dangerous than others, like anywhere else.” Alesandra pressed her lips together and furrowed her eyes like she was thinking real hard. “I’d steer clear of the neighborhood Wilson and Galloway, which is located in the west end of Windham.” Alesandra resumed back to typing. “Why do you ask? Planning on getting into some trouble later on?” she said jokingly.

Not unless if I have to. “Ah no.” Apollo forced a chuckle. “I was just curious, that’s all. Want to make sure I take all the proper precautions,” he said, thinking back to the scenario in Toronno. It wouldn’t have mattered this time around now that he was the judge, jury, and executioner.

“Okay.” Alesandra turned her monitor once more and leaned in, Apollo picking up a delicately sweet fragrance radiating from her neck. “So I’ve managed to come up with these choices here.” She scrolled down, revealing three and four-star hotels with her mouse cursor. “The cheapest one is the Gemstone Inn. Even though it’s showing here as a three-star hotel, it’s got a four-star rating, and it’ll only cost you one-fifteen per night.” Alesandra zoomed in on the map for its exact location. “It’s at the intersection of Elgin St and Westbarrow St, and it’ll be on your right-hand side.” She turned her back toward Apollo and emphasized her right hand. “You can’t miss it. Let me write down the directions, so you don’t forget.”

“Appreciate that,” Apollo said.

Alesandra grabbed a fluorescent green sticky note from her desk and scribbled in the directions, tearing it off and handing it to Apollo afterward. “Is there anything else I can help you with this morning?” She smiled once again.

“No, that’ll be all, thank you,” Apollo said, bowing his head before heading toward the Elgin Street exit.

Apollo caught hold of a taxi and showed the driver the directions Alesandra had just given him. The driver nodded and entered the details into his GPS before driving off, approximating a half-hour travel time. Apollo buckled his seat belt, took a deep breath, and exhaled slowly, hoping this adventure would vastly differ from what he experienced in Toronno.

This is what you wanted, right, Apollo? Well, there’s no turning back now. You’ve come too far.

 

If you liked this chapter, please rate it and leave a comment below! It'd mean a lot!

0