5- The Path
60 2 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

                Velle was staring at her ceiling waiting for the time when she should leave to go meet Alicia for the hike later. They were going to a preserve nearby the facility after getting permission from the administrators, which was only granted given Velle’s apparent prowess at dealing with magical threats. Her phone alarm went off, and she stood up and grabbed her backpack and filled it with waters before heading out. She doubted she’d need all of them, but it was better to be safe than sorry. She made sure her door was locked and sent herself to the teleport station nearest the facility to go meet with Alicia. When she arrived, she saw that the receptionist now recognized her and simply gestured for her to sit down and wait. “Alicia will be out in a few moments.”

                Velle took a seat in the waiting area. After a couple of minutes Alicia was let out of the front door. She was dressed in casual clothes with decent shoes for a light hike which changed what Velle had originally planned slightly. She was far cuter in this garb than the lazy sweatpants and pajama shirt she had worn before, to Velle’s eyes. Her silver hair and deep brown eyes created an immaculate contrast around her fair skin and lithe frame. She walked over to Velle and gave her a hug. “Come on! Let’s go!” She said, excitement in her voice.

                After they were outside Alicia began to ask Velle questions. First and foremost, on her mind was how Velle had gotten her to feel so much better so quickly. “Oh, that? Well, the power crystal that turns you into a full daego takes a while to develop even if untreated, because I can see where they are I simply destroyed yours and absorbed the larger pieces your body wouldn’t. Though, admittedly I don’t know if that has any side effects.”

                Alicia looked surprised. “You can see them? I thought it was impossible to see from outside.” She was gawking at Velle a bit as they approached the teleport circle.

                Velle shrugged. “I’m a little different than most people, my hiatus caused a lot of things in my body to change.” She tried to imply she wasn’t keen on talking about it.

                Alicia seemed to miss the intent of Velle’s tone somewhat. “So you can cast without circles, and can see and destroy crystals before a daego transformation. That’s so amazing!” She was barely able to keep her voice down.

                Velle nodded. “Sure, or heretical. Depending on who you ask. The Mana-Factorum would likely want to use me, but the Church would probably want me destroyed and the government would simply be their instrument towards that end.” She tried again to dissuade Alicia.

                She seemed to finally get the hint. “So, did you pick out a trail for us?” She asked, changing the subject.

                Velle had, and explained which trail they would take. After that they reached the teleport circle and Velle activated it to send them to the closest stop to the park. They stepped back off and continued their conversation. “Does anyone know about the full extent of your powers?” Asked Alicia.

                Velle shook her head. “Will knows the most since I can’t lie to him. He has a geas on me, if I lie in any way other than omission it will hurt me.” She sighed.

                Alicia looked surprised. “He has a geas on you? Why?” She seemed curious.

                Velle didn’t make a physical response. “We went to school together and both had a lot of trouble in those days, so he made me agree to one to make sure I didn’t end up destroying myself.”

                Alicia nodded. “I wish I had a friend like that.”

                “I’m eternally blessed to know him.” Replied Velle.

--

                Inside the park Alicia again returned to the effect that Velle had used to help Alicia avoid becoming a daego herself. “What do you think it changed?” She asked.

                Velle couldn’t know, it had never been used before, not in this way especially. “You’re the first person to ever experience it, other than me but that was a different method. Try using magic without a circle, that seems the most obvious likely effect. That or it creates a change in how much mana you can channel at once.”

                Alicia reached out her hand and focused on the idea of flame. And from her hand a small burst of fire erupted. She gasped and giggled. “I can do it!” She said excitedly.

                Velle observed the phenomena with interest. “So you can, it seems that breaking up someone’s crystal changes their magic to be more like mine. I’ll have to keep that in mind next time, since being able to do that also makes you a heretic.” She said quietly.

                Alicia nodded, though seemed more excited that she could use it more than the fact she was potentially now in danger from the church. As they walked Velle felt a low rumble in the ground. Out here, this was unlikely to be a daego, and she didn’t see any daego power crystals around. Moments later she saw the source of the rumble when out of the tree line at the edge of the path ahead of them sprang a massive cave bear. This one looked like it was originally brown bear that had grown large enough to trigger the conversion into magical monster. Velle put a hand across to block Alicia’s path. She looked up and gasped.

                Velle gestured for her to step back. “We’re going to hope it doesn’t notice us, if it comes towards us I’ll protect you. Just stay back.” She said quietly as they crept backwards.

                Velle put her foot on a loose rock, and it shifted out from underneath her, she caught herself immediately and paused. The bear seemed to not notice, then it lifted its head and let out a loud roar and looked around. When it spotted Velle and Alicia it huffed and began to charge at them. “Go! Get back!” Velle said, pushing Alicia away and readying herself for a fight.

2