10- Sparring and Aneris
24 2 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

                Alicia and Velle stepped off the teleporter platform. They had been forbidden to use it themselves, so the Cardinal had been the one to activate it for them. They recognized the location as being the central building of the Holy Church, the grandeur and ancient construction gave it away to Velle instantly who remembered it distinctly from her time as Megia. The anger and frustration for the long centuries ago was bubbling just under the surface, but she maintained her composure. She followed the cardinal to one of the smaller buildings to the right of their landing area. As the trio walked, Cardinal Conroy explained that the team was mostly requisitioned already, and the only one not present was their artefact expert who was still in the field, who they would be travelling to them soon.

                They entered the small building and found themselves in a decorated antechamber to a much larger and more serene and minimalist central space. Inside were three individuals, two who looked like twins and another who looked like another sibling but was older. The twin brothers seemed to look up to the third as an elder sister. They looked over at the trio entering the room and smiled. “So, these are the ones we’re supposed to manage?” The elder asked.

                Conroy nodded. “Velle, Alicia, these are the Fitzroy siblings. Twin brothers Erich and Elren, with older sister Eiler.  They are some of our finest holy knights, the twins are defensive specialists while Eiler is a master of the holy sword and offensive magic. She’s also unique in that all of her casting circles are etched into her blade, meaning she can be combat ready any time.”

                Velle nodded, Alicia seemed impressed. “Wow, that sounds amazing.” She said aloud.

                Velle laughed. “Actually, it used to be common practice because it was the only way knights could keep up with my witches. This is a pretty standard old-school team makeup.” She said comfortably.

                Everyone turned to her. Erich seemed the keenest to question Velle. “And how would you know? You’re not that much older than us. I bet we could beat you.” He said in a smug voice, he was a full inch taller than his sister with sandy brown hair and a freckled face and bulky frame.

                Velle made an appreciative sound. “Would you like to try? With the Cardinal’s permission I’d enjoy teaching you how a real holy knight team used to fight.” She raised a hand.

                The Cardinal sighed. “Can we take it outside? I actually quiet like this room as a meditative space.”

                The four agreed, and Velle added that the group could prepare any circles they wanted once outside. They walked over to a combat training area, as they were setting up a noticeable crowd of cavaliers and knights gathered around to watch the bout. Once everything was settled and arranged the Cardinal made a tired expression and announced that the bout would start on his go. Nothing was off-limits except fatal injury, no leaving the fighting area, and then he trailed off with an et cetera. There was a moment of quiet and then he said the word go.

                Eiler immediately launched herself at Velle who seemed unimpressed. She flicked the air and a sudden rush of wind in the shape of a blade sprang out at the charging night, one of the twins summoned a shield to block it, but when the air blade hit it exploded and created a cloud of dust. Everyone watched as Velle took steps to the side before Eiler sprang out of the dust cloud mid-swing. She realized Velle wasn’t in her path after she started her swing. “Rule One: Don’t attack unless you can see your target.” She said cooly as she summoned a blade and swung it down at the almost defenseless knight.

                Her attacks put Eiler immediately on the defensive. She kept backing up under the flurry of blows as the twins had to change to offensive magic to support their sister in close quarters. “Rule Two: Always know where you and your teammates are.” She said, as a fireball went searing between the two swordfighters, forcing them back. Velle had plenty of space inside the zone, while dodging the flare required Eiler to leave the designated fighting area.

                Cardinal Conroy announced that Eiler had left the battlefield and was disqualified. Her freckled face and long light brown hair carried a pout and twirl as she spun on her heel and rejoined Conroy and Alicia. Velle now just had the brothers. One cast a shield around while the other tried to launch more attacks. Velle was too fast and closed the gap while dodging easily. “This one isn’t a rule, but you should always protect your casting circles when making a shield.” She said launching a second wind attack at the ground before the twins.

                It broke the circle of the shield, causing it to flicker and vanish and she was on the two immediately with a gravity spell that forced them both to the ground. At that point Conroy called the match. “Are you happy with her skills?” He asked the humbled trio.

                “That wasn’t a fair fight.” Said Elren.

                Velle laughed. “Fair how? I told you I was going to show you how holy knights used to fight. If you had been even a mid-tier group from when I was originally fighting your kin, they’d have made it a much more competitive fight. Don’t worry, the church has grown lazy with its centuries of dominance, and we can address that now. With a little training you three could easily surpass some of the great heroes I had the pleasure of fighting.” She offered the two hands to help them up as Eiler marched over.

                “And how did you get so good at fighting? How do you know how knights used to fight.” Eiler asked frustrated.

                Velle snapped her fingers, and a vague hazy barrier surrounded the group including Conroy and Alicia- but seemed to cause everyone else to be unable to see them. “Allow me to provide an explanation through demonstration.”

                She said a few low words and from a sudden black cloudy portal stepped a man who looked almost human except for scales around his neck and shimmering black eyes. “This is the dragon Aneris. He is one of my familiars, Aneris- please tell them who I am.”

                The man smiled. “Though your form has changed I will always recognize my master, Megia goddess of Magic and first among witches.” He bowed low.

                The siblings made a noise halfway between a gasp and scream of horror. “You’re the goddess Megia?”

                Velle shrugged. “Well half of me is.”

1