Chapter 7: Grandmother’s tutoring , Dreams and hope (3)
13 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“damn it, she's really fast to get enraged.” Simon complained about Julie outburst.

“it's your fault for not listening, you know her demeanor change completely when she's doing a lecture.” Carolina admonished him.

“Oh, come on, I don't think I did anything wrong.” Simon stuck his tongue out, completely not reflecting on it.

While the two was bantering, Samuel was lost in thoughts.

Reviewing what Julie told him in his mind, Samuel felt like it's really hopeless for him.

First, for learning a new magic, he needed to draw circle and provide enough mana, mana could only be used from his body, external mana was useless.

If you used external mana, then you must draw circle for each use, which would be impossible to do so in a battle.

Second, for leveling up, only using magic with person own mana would be accepted, meaning, no matter how many times you use magic with external resource, it'll not advance a bit.

With his inadequate amount of mana, he won't be able to use any magic for time being.

Looking at his brother, his eye was a mix of concern and a little jealousy.

Samuel remember Julie's word, she told them that using unique magic of certain attribute requires you to have advanced level magic of that attribute, and that was the reason he couldn't use [water of deep] and [ice magic].

[Flame manipulation] is an exception to this rule, since flame Manipulation work like basic release of fire attribute, just the flame that it creates is flame that Goddess of flame use.

Although, this means that Simon can use it as mean of protection, at same time, it's extremely dangerous power before he reaches level 50 in fire magic.

[Shadow Magic] is also a unique magic that Julie knew and explained it to them.

The unique magic is two type in nature, first those which are earned at birth, by person own luck, potential or divine protection, second is when a person reach level 100 in a magic and with diligent research create new one.

Second type can be inherited from one parents, [Shadow magic] and [Mirage magic] is two examples of this type.

According to Julie, shadow magic can make a person move inside of shadows and use shadow of other as weapon.

It's seems that's magic that great grandfather of Carolina created.

Samuel asked Julie about Mirage magic, which is what his ancestor, Edward Arion, created but she refused to talk about it.

(well, it's not like I can use it if she taught me.)

While Samuel was deep in thoughts, Julie teleported into room again.

“Alright, your break is over, take your seat.”

(are you not going to let us off today?) this thought was plainly obvious on Simon for other to see.

Julie had a scroll in her hand, bringing it seems to be reason that she give them the break.

“so I've already told what you needed for magic, this you see here” Julie waved the scroll in front their eyes “is called [basic orb]”

“basic orb, create a bobble that you can fill your mana in and make very simple, magic bullet, there's also other shape like blade, dagger, hammer and other like weapons and creatures shape.”

Putting scroll down, she look at them with a strange smile. 

“you three might think, if it's such a simple magic bullet, why did take me this long to bring it?didn't we had it in mansion?”

Deepening rather mischievous smile which was unnatural for her“ answer would be each scroll is different, their differences lie in their capacity for how much mana you can inject in it, their wastage rate, their special effects and so on.”

Hearing this caused children to widen their eyes with excitement.

“so gran…teacher, what's this scroll effects, it's something extraordinary, right?” Simon had already walked up towards Julie to take the scroll from her.

Keeping the smile whole time caused Samuel to think their grandmother action was weird.

(something's off, but what?)

“Oh,right, here let's see what you can do.” she handed to Simon, with no extra word or something.

When Simon opened scroll, his face went blank. 

“What the heck? Who's the one who made this?” Suddenly shouting like this. Samuel and Carolina, went to his sides, looking concerned.

Looking at scroll, the two face became the same as Simon.

(what's this? Is this magic formula scroll or a child scribbling?) that was only thing Samuel could think, but after a little while he voiced his thoughts unknowingly.

“even my shabby drawing is better than this” 

Samuel talent in art can be said unique, it's bad enough that even he knows that it's vain hope to go for it, but he still call shape inside scroll as mess.

It's seems like someone just picked up a pen and sprayed ink on scroll.

“even Samuel say this, grandmother. Are you joking about this or is this wrong scroll?” Simon looked at her with a wronged expression.

“first, teachers, not grandmother, second, I'm not joking, third, this right thing.” keeping that smile, she adds“ Alright, leave it for later, I've already explained skills, only thing left is job, stat, lifespan and level.”

“job show basic nature of each person talent, it determine how much starting stat you'll have, the maximum for each stat and it'll help you earn skills easier, also there're some special skill unique to certain job.” reaching this point, she look at Simon and said in solemn voice“ and jobs can evolve into something stronger, your father was a simple magician, with his efforts he managed to reach Archmage while his talent wasn't exceptional and was rather ordinary but his determination wasn't.”

“so you mean our jobs can evolve if we reach it's conditions, right?” Simon tone wasn't questioning, as if he had  absolute certainty that he can accomplish the same feat as his father.

“ Yes, you certainly can, cause those who had divine protection all evolved their job, but I'm not sure about all of three you have.”

(am I really need be present now?) While this seemingly endless touting session was ongoing, Samuel thought start to wander.

He thought that since he didn't had the system, then this was rather unnecessary for him.

(what's the use of it, when I don't have them?) as he continued to drawn in depressing thought of his, he shock his head to dispel them (I used magic before, even if I don't have status system, it doesn't mean I'm cripple or anything, I can grow till the day it awaken.)

Hardening his resolve and not allowing any more self-deprecating idea getting to him, he refocused on Julie word.

“most stat are self-explanatory, vitality can help you remain alive when you are injured but at same time if you receive a fatal blow, no matter how high vitality is, you're done for.” Her tone was grave, as if this mistake of thinking that high vitality can keep you alive at any situation had already taken many victims.

Julie didn't tell them that when she was saying this, she remembered a certain friend of her young age.

she was a really powerful and rather arrogant mage, just behind those with divine protection, but she was brutally murdered, for a motive that Julie could never understand it.

Her eyes was a little misty and her speech was halted for a little while. 

Children belatedly noticed this odd state of her but before having chance to ask about it, she coughed dryly and resumed.

“Ahem, back to topic, stamina, strength and agility show bodily power of person which doesn't need me to tell you about them, and for mage these three aren't too important, though it's different matter for all rounder like Simon ” pausing a little she moved on to next subject, ignoring Simon look which seems to have something to say.

"Defense, either normal or magic, both have effect of reducing damage you receive, people call it, most simple and most useful of all stat, which isn't wrong. Only problem is that between stat none can compare in raising difficulty of defense.”

“mana and intelligence, mana is energy that come from soul, from two well-known passage, brain and heart, otherwise known as [magician brain] and [warrior heart], by their second name it shows where each user will draw their mana for usage, normally brain passage is open for most of people but there're some warrior that only have heart passage and as a result they can't use magic instead they use [martial art skill], which isn't really our family speciality, except my daughter-in-law” saying this she had a prideful look on her.

“That's our mother, of course she's amazing” Simon said in more prideful and arrogant tone and even other two nod in agreement.

“yeah, lady Emma power isn't something anyone can ignore also I heard that she had a one on one battle with a minotaur” with a look of admiration, Carolina add the rumor she had heard from maids, although some of new maids were afraid of her, after being with her some time, no one could bring themselves to fear her simple and honest personality of her.

“really?? Why didn't mother ever mentioned that?”

“well maybe because she isn't really well versed story telling and she was afraid of scaring you.” Julie tell them the reason, which was outside of their expectations.

Well, telling about how she cut minotaur gut and spilled it's innards wouldn't be a good story for children.

“Okay, as I was about to say, Intelligence determine magic strength, stability, range and your capability to modify magic”

Clapping her hand, she give them a praising look, which children didn't understand.

“it's way good behaving like this, Academy students always nagged that class is long or they're bored or whatever excuse they could think of, just to skip class, even James was one of such group”

(ah, believe it or not, I really want to do so but I'm not that much of an idiot to try it again) Simon had such thought as he searched a way to end it.

“Alright, last topic, lifespan and level, I left them together cause they're linked together, lifespan mean how much totally you can live and it can be increased by level up to maximum of 250 year for powerful people without divine protection and 1,000 year for those with it, although there's [transcendent] which can live longer but they are very rare cases.”

“level up is a phenomena which causes person to increase his stat, it's require experience, and experience can be earned in many ways, nearly any action give a certain amount of experience points, even something like office work, although best way without a doubt is defeating monsters.”

“but simply just leveling up won't give you any stat, if your body and mind isn't ready for it, by other words, if you aren't ready, you'll level up but your stat won't grow and result in a waste.”

“Alright, I think I said all that was needed for you, deciphering scroll can wait for later” when she wanted let them off, she remembered one thing “ah, also simply using mana till it's ends can increase it even without level up.”

After dismissing, Simon heaved a sigh relief, which didn't go unnoticed by Julie but she let it slip and thought.

(just wait till you're 15, I'll show you this was just a heaven, compared to that hell, hehehehe) 

The trio suddenly shuddered at an unknown fear, something that they'll come to understand much later. 

Rest of day trio got out to play and decipher scroll which didn't bore fruit.

At night when Samuel returned to his room, he emptied glass of water, which he always filled as hobby, on flower bed which was placed right beside where his room window was located.

Doing his nighttime routine, he managed to fill two glass before feeling sleepy.

Drifting to dream world, he'd the same dream of past days, that he was completely accustomed to, only difference was one blurry word on the book.

At next day, Julie called Samuel separately to examine his condition when other two weren't present.

sorry for delay last week

These two are last week chapters

1