Chapter 12: A man’s determination and Banquet of mockery
22 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Next day morning, James left the house alone while wearing simple clothing made of wool, going to lower region.

Passing alleys, he went for a tavern, a shabby looking shop, the door was broken along with tables and windows, it's seems there was brawl last night.

A man clearing place of broken glass and woods come forward and blocked his way.

“it's morning damn it, can't you freakin' see?those bastards thrashed the place, so no customer, shoo, shoo”

“call the owner” James replied briefly to him.

“was I talking to door there, or you're pickin' a fight too? No customer, damn it, either go now or those guy help will help you.”saying this man pointed at three man with huge frame, working there as a form of guards.

“tell owner that ' outside of door stand a tall tree, rooted in sea water, swaying in winds as it's fruit tempte many man.'"saying this James threw a pouch at man, and turned around leaving the place.

“the hell now?are you already drunk?” While being angry at whom his luck left him with, he picked up the pouch that man threw at him.

Opening it, left his mouth hanging, cause inside was filled with about 50 gold coins, close to their one month revenue of their shop.

Seeing it, made him sure that if he didn't deliver his message, he would be an incorrigible fool.

Reaching towards boss room, knocking quite hastily, boss come out, his eyelids barely open look at man, and grabbed his collar.

“are ya' family dead or somethin'?can't ya' see, I'm havin' hangover here?so what's the important matter?”owner was annoyed at his interruption of his sleep, his other hand, clenched, prepared to beat the hell out of the him, if his matter wasn't worth his time.

“a man send a message for you.”replied hastily, afraid that he would lose temper before he have time to say it, after delivering message, owner calmed down and send look at man.

“next time you saw him, bring him to me, you understand?”

“Yes, boss ” Even if he didn't say it, he would after what he received from him.

Boss started to walk towards outside, before going out he looked back and said.

“also, not a single word out about him, you clear?” finishing his words he didn't wait for man answer, cause he already knew what he would say.

Despite his headache, he moved towards city gate, and went towards south of capital, after nearly three hours, he reached edge of grand river, there he found the man he sought.

“waited too much?”

“doesn't matter, how is your work going on nick?”

Seeing him going straight to point, owner, nick casted his eye down “not good, master, about murder cases in capital, whether old ones or new ones, both have no trace, not a single thing as if there never were someone there or any type of magic used, and western region, marquis Vinson territory, there had been strange disease going on, unknown source, and rather lethal, for now it's only happened in some village, resulting in village being burned to prevent it's spreading.”

“so, they killed survivors just to stop the disease, that they weren't even sure if it's contagious or not.” James face was epitome of ire, wishing to tear someone apart. 

“have they announced anything about it?” pushing back his irritation, he inquired about disease further, he wished to help, little he could, since he couldn't interfere in someone else's territory without solid reason and evidence.

“they have, master, they announced that demon race, had mobilized disease demon tribe, and they had defeated them.”

“ha, marvelous, such a brazen lie like this, truly show their disgusting nature, my decision hasn't been a mistake it's seems.” letting out a breath, James face showed scorn and pure disgust at those he deemed colleague, governor of same nations he belongs.

“master, are you sure about this?if we proceed, it'll snuff the only chance that young master has.” Nick showed concern at way their politics were leading them, in the way of obtaining their long wish, they would sacrifice Samuel's only chance.

“so everyone are already aware of it, I suppose it's just normal, since he's child of forsaken family, his situation made many of them dance in joy, as if we've received retribution for our sins.” His face was unruffled, as if the matter didn't concerned him, and he continued “don't worry about Samuel, I know his heart passage is blocked and we need to help him if he wants to go the way of warrior, and that require Goddess of earth blessed spring, there's only one of it in empire, and that is in hands imperial family, with how our relationship had been, it's already a pipe dream to hope it.” shaking his head to show his disapproval of even considering of seeking emperor help.

he looked straight at his retainer he trusted.

“so, nick, how long do you think it'll take, to overthrow this damn empire? ” his face showed no fluctuations, like this was a simple business deal for him.

“long, master, preparing for it, without much bloodshed as you desire it is going to take time, and imperial family sovereign's magic isn't something we can brush off.”

the two conversation could shook many people but no one was around them, no one would dare to follow, a water magician like James to riverbed, where he could use his full power.

“okay, you can have as much time as you want, I'm preparing for Samuel to go to Edward place for what he needs, also he can get exclusive training in Kingdom of warriors Miles, hopefully when he returns, most of our preparation are already done.” his face softened at thought of his son.

“master, may I say something?” Nick was showing a hesitating expression, like he didn't want to say what was on his mind.

“say it, it can't be worse than having this crown prince Allan, at this timing.”James words didn't ease nick's tension.

Casting caution to winds, he spoke his mind “…daughter of Martin blackwood, Mable, has received divine protection of Goddess of knowledge.”

This bit of information petrified James, he didn't remember how he left the place or how he returned to their Manor, his mind was chaotic mess.

He wanted to find way out but time didn't waited for him.

Time of banquet arrived shortly as group of six made their way to castle, at entrance two lion created by pure fire like last evening was present, two person was standing on top of castle wall with dark blonde hair focusing solely on magic that would be kept active till moment of banquet onset.

on their way they saw many of noble, but most had an unfriendly look.

Being rather a sore thumb among guests, it's made it uncomfortable for twins but they couldn't complain about it, as they knew that nothing will come out of it.

Entering grand hall which was decorated for this event.

Samuel looked around, there was knights clad in red colored armors, the imperial Knights, standing at four corners of hall.

A dazzling throne at end of hall, craved with lion marking, symbol of Harzon family, with a man dressed in gorgeous cloth could be seen, seated alongside him was a child in similar clothing.

Both had lustrous golden hair and sky-blue eyes, the older man face didn't show any signs being aged and had youthful feeling to it, the child had exquisite features making him adorable for man and woman without exception, looking at them caused people to subconsciously bow to them.

As people entered, they went to middle of hall, and bowed to the two seated on throne.

When the group turn came, they went and bowed same as other and said in unison. 

“Long Live to emperor Alexander and his Gods blessed lineage.”

Samuel thought that their actions received different reaction compare to pervious ones, hall was silenced at their word, a silence which bothered Samuel, cause he didn't know the reason.

The man seated on throne spoke up at such awkward scene “ho-ho, you should pardon this bunch as none of them expected your arrival.”

James looking straight at man, responded “why didn't expected, though?was I ever dismissed summon you made, your majesty?” 

The emperor gaze swept entire noble with coldness and answered him “that goes without saying, this emperor received news about your two son unnatural situation and thought that you would be too busy to attend at this banquet, and it's seems others had similar sentiment to us.”

One of noble followed up “it's as his majesty says, we thought that you won't reach for the banquet, nonetheless you came and it fills us with gratitude, that this gifted audience a chance to observe the one who earned gift of gods, same as his highness Allan.” his eyes was fixated on Simon during the entire, although he seemed sincere, James felt a bad vibe from him.

After passing pleasantries, they went to an isolated place, all of other noble avoided that place, as if prepared for them intentionally.

When they stand there and watched other noble entrance rites, James heard those standing quite far from them, began to whisper among themselves.

{such audacious bunch, they really dare to attend here after all they have done}

{truly, gods showed them, that they neither forgave them for their sin nor had they forgotten them}

{a blessed and cursed twin, truly eye opening for ignorant mass about their true face}

James felt his blood boil, even as water magician, he in a moment felt like burning those guys to ash.

(what do you guy know, pitiful flunkies?keep kissing his ass till your time reach, blackwood's lackeys.)

While keeping his dark thought to himself, he failed to notice Samuel's unnatural expression and forgot his wind talent.

Samuel hearing them saying whatever they wanted about his family felt helpless.

How could he not know what was they laughing at, who was their target of mockery, on what basis they treated them like this.

He saw himself responsible, although he didn't have clear understanding of it, of how his situation concerned them.

But all said and done, he was forlorn of any option, he could do nothing, at least current him at best could keep himself from being coerced into disgracing his family.

When they were standing there,waiting for banquet to pass, a man walked to their side, with short red hair, resembling blazing flame, and a well trimmed beard, a stern expression on his face, gave off feeling of man of austere nature.

His name was Haco Roseville, current Duke of Roseville, Sharon's little brother.

He could be said to be the only one of nobles that James respect and act friendly with.

Making a little smile, he spoke with James “long time no see, old friend, does we only have to see each other in such noisy places?would it be that hard on you to visit your friend once in awhile?” 

James looking at him, showing a rare lonely look, said with a apologetic tone “sorry man, I'd much to do this past years and couldn't even find a leisure time to visit you.”

Making a dry laugh, he looked directly into James eyes “ha-ha,as if!you take me for kid or something?I know what has been on your mind entire time.”

Tensed at his direct approach, he tried to gloss over it and change the subject.

“at least you should know, how much work it takes to manage a territory, I didn't have much time for my family either.”

Making a devious grin, he continued“ aren't going to remarry?you need heir for replacing you, you know?you can't escape from it forever.”

Poking at his friend weakness was a nasty move, which he didn't like, but he needed to take conversation away from that topic.

He didn't want his friends to get involved, at least not now which was initial part of his plan.

Haco voice turned cold suddenly and replied “didn't I told you no matter how much time passes, I'll never remarry or adopt a child, I don't care about succession issue or whatever, I loved, and still love, her, and her alone!” at the end his voice was turning to a shout but no one turned in his direction.

Him, one of war generals,  responsible for safety of empire, had always been viewed as man of little emotion, a violent temper.

But to those who knows him, they believe firmly that he's sentimental to a fault… at least he was before his wife's passing away.

“okay,alright, you're right, so how do you view this little banquet?”

James, deciding to drop the subject and brought up a new one.

Brushing his red beard, he talked slowly“hmm, I'm suspicious of their true motive, cause it was strange how they arranged this situation, expect a few, most noble were present two months ago, same goes for aegis Kingdom and holy Kingdom, agios.”

“our empire and miles isn't in best term, not that we are at each other throat either, so it's obvious that they're not reason behind this banquet.”

Casting a look at emperor on throne that was still welcoming guests and then at noble and their children, he said in low voice “…the plan is to arrange marriage for Allan, not only one either, the more the merrier.”

Pausing, he turned his head towards Simon and continued “…same goes for your son, too”

James clenched his fist tightly, barely reining his erupting wrath, as face of certain green haired man surfaced in his mind.

When two friends talk was reaching unpleasant part, emperor voice rang out.

“be quiet”

As hall silenced under his formless might that spread out of his word only.

“Thank you, our lands governors and our foreign companions, that with all your commitment, still attended at this auspicious gathering, today, Us, the 18th ruler of this blessed empire, Alexander the 18th, under the endowment of gods, has been given a heir, a son with power rivaling the founder of empire, the one who used his unmatched strength to lead human to near abs victory over demon race.”

“at that time, with some unfortunate accidents, Alexander Harzon, failed in his endeavor but now, in current era not only our son, holds divine protection of God of Bravery and hope,Heracles, he also has been gifted with Goddess of earth, and God of light, can surpass his antecedents and make our dreams come true.”

“enjoy this night to your heart content, as a chance of freedom has finally dawned upon us.”

With his heated speech he caused a clamor in hall and guests, beaming with joyous mood started the feast at his signal.

Within this atmosphere, a green haired man walked forward and made a polite bow. 

“your majesty, this humble subject beseech to be granted a chance to speak a proposal”

“speak, Duke blackwood”

As this scene unfolded, James had foreboding feeling of unease, like a snake gaze was locked on him assuming him as a helpless prey.

1