Chapter 16: Leaving palace with resentment
19 1 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Inside the great hall.

James was crushing his hated adversary, plant created by the man would protect him till he could sustain them.

When his mana dried up he would be like a turtle without shell, and that would be his end.

Haco pretend to attack James, as James blocked his fake attacks.

James was one of best in war of attrition, his entire magic style had alway depended on high consumption to produce high output. 

His high mana together with Expanded mana core skill and cost reduction for water magic, enabled him to go on with rapid use of magic and still be vigorous.

So such poly was easily feasible for him, not for everyone.

He was feeling good about this development in corner of his heart.

Martin provocative act handed him a reason, his ' secret ' blocking the emperor interference.

Only one capable of stopping him was his friend, who didn't fully tried to do so.

No one could blame Haco either, he would deceive them with James being hard to deal with and Martin was dead before he managed to stop the man.

James face twitched, as he let an evil smile slip his mouth.

“hmm? What the…” his attention shifted at such moment.

What he noticed was emergency signal from mana he had implanted in his sons body.

This was why he let heavy surge of mana, as he was sure that would keep them safe, at same time if their lives was in danger, it would notify James.

Simon unconscious state, and Samuel's fear, pain, anxiety and helplessness reached out to him.

Like heavy ocean wave tide that crushed a rocky coast, this emotion shook his soul.

His eye darted toward hall's west wall, like he was seen through it.

Pass the chaotic crowd and wall he was locked on was a room belonging to banquet reception supply, were servants was preparing for starting the feast after the talks.

In that room there was a window, which would led to where children were.

His heartbeat turned erratic, distressed emotion erupted in his mind.

With this man planning the stage, would he keep himself unguarded, ready to be slaughtered? Definitely not. 

So what weakness James had?

In frontal face-off, even if they were in forest, where Martin had full power, he still had little to no chance of victory.

With his devious mind and his family history of unfair way of combat, not much of thought needed to reach a conclusion. 

With Samuel condition being half publicized, he was breaching point that could obviously be used by those who wish James and his family harm.

When he drew such judgement out of his thoughts, his pupils shook wildly and he let out roar, more beast-like than humane.

“──!!”

His sudden thunderous voice made everyone tremble in fear, as feeling of frenzy and madness was becoming evident in his act.

Even Emma who kept her calm to that point drew her blade, she didn't participate in messy fight, because of her dislike in senseless violence. 

But hearing her husband voice like that, she felt extremely uneasy and prepared to enter the fray.

James conjured a chain of water, using it to take a firm hold over water sphere which held Martin.

“get out of the way if you don't want to die.” everyone who heard him turned to him and with his blood red eyes, they fearfully backed away, and servant panickedly scattered.

His intention wasn't hard to discern.

he threw sphere like a cannon ball. 

With heavy impact crushing the two wall in row, leaving a giant hole in wall.

Cloud of dust and rubles disrupted people vision but four of present people didn't wait for dust to clear up as they rushed outside.

When they saw the scene outside their blood felt freezing cold.

A barrier which enclosed children was already in tatters, inside a more hastily created barrier was seen, mix of court magician power, Allan and Elio's light magic and Mable's supportive magic barely stopped ferocious flame threatening to burn them all to ash.

Even with caster outcold, fire still flared out without rest, obeying its owner wish to burn them alive.

At other side there was Samuel, writhing in pain as he struggled to take vine stuck in his foot out, but with his insufficient strength, he only added to his suffering.

He was on brink of tears, he forcefully kept himself from fainting as vine was moving towards his neck, to strangle him to death.

A little away was Simon, his small body on ground, his chest barely heaved, announcing his survival.

With haste, James and Emma reached Samuel's side.

James captured vine in his hand and absorbed all of its moisture, leaving a dried up branch to wriggle weakly.

Using his mana in deliberate manner, he took out wretched plant out and applied some basic water attribute healing. 

It wasn't much but it would keep him in good shape till he received main treatment.

William walked to his side with Simon in his arms.

Emma hugged Samuel tightly, her body was trembling, with both grief and hate.

She who was most gentlest of them, was showing clear murderous intent. 

Even holding boy in her hands she kept the sword unsheathed, prepared to respond any instigation and sudden move.

But it wasn't time for that. James held no less hate than her but the twins needed treatment first.

Killing them could wait for later. 

Signaling Julie to prepare their departure, James wanted to send a farewell to his last visit as a Duke.

But a voice call out to them, grabbing their attention.

“wait up, Duke Arion, we can have best healer attend to your son injuries. You should stay awhile longer, so we can resolve this accident.”

It was Alexander, his tone wasn't as forceful as it was at first, he was clearly shaken by incident that he couldn't comprehend.

James turned to his direction, with eyes that was overflowing with hate and rage, he slow and deep voice told them of his inner will.

“…I need no such help, not from those who are designer of this beautiful scenario” throwing sarcasm without a care for who target was he walked away and left them with a message that no would forget.

“today you broke my son leg, in return I'll break your legs, physical, financial and emotional, all of it, so that you wriggle on ground like worms you are.”

Though some might consider it empty threat, it was horrifying enough to know someone of his stature would take such resentment over incident.

A Duchy might not have enough strength to go against entire nation, especially after giving such direct declaration of war, making all present noble into enemies.

But deep down everyone had a lingering feeling of trepidation. This wasn't a normal family they were talking about, with their history, they would be capable of doing any act. Some of it would cause shiver in back of Demon Lord himself.

Most noble of all rank wanted to do something about where everything was headed, but they were unable to do so.

Most of what happened hadn't even been fully digested by them.

Martin's proposal, two Duke clash, children's fight and now threatening the emperor himself, no matter how much they racked their brain.

As light of teleportation magic encompassed them and it was ready to move them to their capital manor, where long distance circle was residing.

Before movement happened Julie voice echoed in courtyard.

“allow me take something before going.”

Her inquiry was out of place, before having time to ask what she meant, a bloodcurdling shrill shriek halt their minds.

“ahhhh…”

Turning back they saw object fly ing in air, a boy down on ground with a blood pool forming beneath his body.

A precise line cut was visible on his left thigh, visible bone and ceaseless flow of blood indicated that without in time treatment, he would die bleeding.

“big…brother…ahh…” A weak voice which ended in a powerless wail, came from terrified little girl seeing his already injured brother in this condition.

Emperor drew a sharp breath over what old woman did child without a moment of hesitation, he doubt his own judgment there.

Was it sane to give this woman control over Academy? He couldn't assert to himself that it was worth the risk or not.

With Arion already gone they thought at least the calamitous day was already over.

But vicious voice told them otherwise.

“first of your debt.”

A short sentence but obvious meaning.

Flame that Simon had released was still burning refusing to extinguish, but atmosphere was awfully cold and oppressive.

From the moment all of them had to prepare for incoming trouble.

As some grimaced over their bad luck of being dragged in feud that wasn't theirs, with banquet halfway done, forced to return to their lands.

Arions return to their domain with eerie silence looming over them.

When they brought Marie over, she checked them and gave them a result that made their knees feel weak.

Samuel's conditions was far worse than what they initially imagined. 

His Tarsus and kneecap was basically gone, totally crushed and barely anything was left of it.

With Marie being completely devoted and unreservedly attending to his treatment it would at least take a month for him just to barely be able to move his foot, whatever any aftereffect remain was unknown.

Simon condition was better as his high spec kept him from being heavily injured, he wasn't unscathed either.

But his light injury compared with Samuel's, was difference between a stream and sea.

With mansion descending into sulking, spiritless air, everyone felt incoming stormy time upon them.

But maybe no one saw greatest and most devastating storm was happening inside Samuel's heart, threatening to either disfigure it or break it completely.

For him this was a big event, something he would never forget even till death.

With such pressure on a child back, it was unknown what outcome it would have for him.

Would he stand up again or would fear of pain would cower and ground him for rest of his life? 

His answer would determine his future, becoming a coward or a brave man.

It was up to no one besides himself.

From next chapter it'll be mostly focus on Samuel's PoV, and would be less for other.

0